Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh it’s Toei, they’re absolutely not adverse to not putting 100% into a product if they know it’ll sell regardless, just look at One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah, even outside of projects like Dai that obviously had a lot of animators tied up working on it, Toei has three yearly franchises that need the investment since they're only around for that year for the most part. Dragon Ball being so ubiquitous works against it there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Toei has the exact same amount of shows running now that they did when DBS Broly was coming out

I think the CG is a deliberate creative choice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am curious if there are eventually plans to bring Dragon Ball back as a proper TV show at some point (even if they don’t wind up calling it Super anymore), the series is still a pretty decent cash cow for Toei after all and the Super manga is still going (albeit only once a month)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, even outside of projects like Dai that obviously had a lot of animators tied up working on it, Toei has three yearly franchises that need the investment since they're only around for that year for the most part. Dragon Ball being so ubiquitous works against it there.

I should watch Dai, I hear it's very iconic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you’re talking about the Dragon Quest anime/manga I just started the modern version of the former myself, seems decent so far.

Speaking of, apparently there are some other unrelated Dragon Quest anime and manga out there as well, are any of those any good?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Close" is a bit of an understatement. Super Hero happens in the exact same year the epilogue of Z does.

Sadly, Toei gonna Toei. They likely just don't have the resources to put here with so many anime running at once, though you'd think Dragon Ball of all things would deserve their best.

I thought the same thing about Sailor Moon. Toei is allergic to quality it's always speed and quantity

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Toei has the exact same amount of shows running now that they did when DBS Broly was coming out

it's a deliberate creative choice to save money

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

They know we're hogs who will happily roll around in the slop.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should watch Dai, I hear it's very iconic.

Dai is fantastic. The Manga is really good, the new anime is animated gorgeously. Shame that Hulu stopped adding new episodes after 45

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is the memey fanart I need to bridge the gaps between chapters

https://twitter.com/Ransu_33/status/1464893438168428547?t=oEtqMU9mQ42Ui-eO4WYiNQ&s=19

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So Vegeta offered Granolah the Senzu bean last chapter. No doubt this chapter will be a lot of fighting between the 2 and Elec springing some kind of trap or expositing about his brilliant scheme to no one in particular.
But what exactly is Granolah hoping to do here? Gas was already strong, Gas has nearly the same "strongest of the universe" experience and now he's objectively stronger unless Granolah also gets saiyan power boosts from nearly dieing. :confused:
Maybe Goku will spirit bomb Gas. Actually, that would work pretty well thematically. The numbers 2,3 and 4 strongest non Brolly mortals of the universe throwing their power into a spirit bomb to take out the number 1.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Namtab posted:

I dont think stephen universe is canon to dragonball

:wrong:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Close" is a bit of an understatement. Super Hero happens in the exact same year the epilogue of Z does.

Not saying you're wrong, but where did you see this?

I wonder if this means that we'll finally see the teenage looks for Goten and Trunks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but where did you see this?

I wonder if this means that we'll finally see the teenage looks for Goten and Trunks.

In the 2021 New York Comi-Con panel it was stated that the movie happens in Age 784, which is the same year of the last Tenkaichi Budokai. Admittedly, do keep in mind that "Toriyama forgot" is a meme for a reason, but if he didn't this time, we're in the exact same year of the epilogue.

I wonder if Goten and Trunks will even appear. They haven't shown in the trailer or posters as of yet.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

In the 2021 New York Comi-Con panel it was stated that the movie happens in Age 784, which is the same year of the last Tenkaichi Budokai. Admittedly, do keep in mind that "Toriyama forgot" is a meme for a reason, but if he didn't this time, we're in the exact same year of the epilogue.

I wonder if Goten and Trunks will even appear. They haven't shown in the trailer or posters as of yet.

Gotcha, thanks.

Yeah, I think they probably won't show up at all, as even though their part in the Broly movie was small, they were still in the promo material. This time around, we haven't seen any of them. But then, we also didn't expect to see Gohan and now here he is.

It'd be really, really funny and sad if they do show up and look the same. Their growth spurts happened over the course of a few days/weeks. lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean at this point I think it’s more likely Toryiama doesn’t remember the epilogue outside like maybe Uub

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

It's a bad one

I'll be honest, I just wish the franchise was like end of Super and DBS Broly all the time forever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Broly also made literally double the box office either of the last two movies did despite a similar budget so the idea of cost savings is just so stupid, quite frankly, even if it's the truth (and especially if it is)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gotta keep the machine rolling. They seem to have a stable pattern of releasing a new movie every few years. Could (partially) be related to the schedules of the designers and director and animators for Broly not syncing up. We don’t currently know anyone working on this outside of Toriyama and the voice actors.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It’s a combination of a chronically overworked industry/staff/resources suffering through covid, so it’s a miracle the movie looks as good as it does and I’ll watch it straight-to-VHS if it sounds fun or if they at least finally let Pan go Super Saiyan

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
TOEI thinking they can impress me with action scenes in One Piece while it's airing alongside Demon Slayer is ridiculous.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean at this point I think it’s more likely Toryiama doesn’t remember the epilogue outside like maybe Uub

There was a continuity team at Toei when Super first started that handled a lot of stuff; that's one reason we got so many little callbacks and stuff. No idea if they're still involved in any way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gazaar posted:

Green on black no helmet Gohan was my favorite.

Tournament Saiyaman was Gohan's best look, but he's gotta keep the shades and bandana on. at the most he can ditch the shades when he gets serious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Super Hero trailer
https://youtu.be/Vyu600dGijQ

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Okay, yeah, if this isn't a Gohan/Pan-focused movie, I'm going to be disappointed. Very much some Cell-era Gohan vibes going here.

I'm... kinda excited for this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if Gohan is going to get a new transformation. Seems like it'd go hand-in-hand with a Dragonball movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve said before this movie gives me Yo Goku and friends return, where the villians aren’t a huge threat but are threatening enough

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/HydrosPlays/status/1472109771990134785

More Gohan pictures. It is so good to see my boy in the purple gi. I'm still butthurt about the animation but god dammit, I'm in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Them giving a Gohan movie CGI is the most Dragonball thing possible

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if Gohan is going to get a new transformation. Seems like it'd go hand-in-hand with a Dragonball movie.

No, in fact it's just taking his Ultimate Form again from him. Seriously, why is he a Super Saiyan? I thought we were over this!

I'm super interested in seeing where this is going. I know people pointed out that it'd make sense for Gohan, the actual superhero, to matter in this movie, but I never expected it because...you know, post-Cell Gohan. But the trailer puts a significantly heavy focus on him, which is unusual, he's specifically focused on when it talks about the battle between superheroes, and he's back to the outfit that marked his best moment, so I'll keep some hope! Even if he's a Super Saiyan again!

It also just makes more sense for the titular SUPER HERO to be him and not Goku, who has specifically denied being a hero.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, it'd only make sense for Gohan to get a new form. Goku has Ultra Instinct, Vegeta has Ultra Ego. It's time for Gohan to surpass a Super Hero and attain...Ultra Hero.
(Ultra Hero is a silver Great Saiyaman suit)

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 18, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m loving Gohan in his rightful uniform again, but god loving drat he looks so loving dorky with the Piccolo cape and his glasses.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I’m loving Gohan in his rightful uniform again, but god loving drat he looks so loving dorky with the Piccolo cape and his glasses.

It's great, I love it. Weird that he goes super again and also just wears his glasses into a fight but whatever.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

his current hair style and dark gold absolutely does not work with the full Piccolo regalia, the teen look with the one huge bang and older-style near-white hair is what sold it best

but the demon gi by itself does look fantastic with the current hair

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I wonder if there’s a special occasion Gohan’s wearing this outfit for or if it’s a standard part of his weekly rotation.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait to see how Gohan screws up securing the kill this time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean there is no way this doesn’t end with Pan getting the victory so a lot of people are gonna be mad

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i would rather pan get a win after gohan beats them down than gohan failing and his dad having to step in

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh I’m fine with it but it will become a meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Gohan's gonna get his rear end beat and Pan will go super saiyan and shout, "Leave my daddy alone!" as she blasts the villain across the map and it will be awesome.

gently caress, remember when Gohan used to just go absolutely apeshit and punch way above his level when he was a kid? Give Pan some of that!