Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh sure, I think it was mostly the way the photo was shot that got me, rather than the subject
Did you feel the same thing about the Allegra Stratton or Matt Hancock footage? I think it would be a fairly common reaction to go "OMFG Boris without a mask, where's my phone" if his train rolled through a platform you were on.
Private duplicitousness that Boris has a penchant for can't really be exposed any other way can it?

Edit: The BR class 73 is an ugly train not worthy of note other than that it uses all the worst sorts of traction power. Much better is the class 37, the mighty deltic. A train from the time when the same company could turn out fridges, torpedo boats, trains and supersonic fighter planes and do it well.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

Bene Gesserit training has had some budget cuts, I see.

That gave me an actual real laugh. :cheersbird:

An early morning provision raid to Tesco on the 23rd and then i batten down the hatches for a few months (which i'm actually looking forward to).
We all deal with life differently. :shrug:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Go to a party, go to the pub. gently caress it. I'm rapidly becoming a covid accelerationist. Bring on the sweet embrace of no oxygen.

I shall remain locked down and slathered in alcohol gel. Waiting for the day I can pick through the corpses and finally get a Switch.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 18, 2021

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ah the Water Margin. I have the entire series on my computer.
Where did you find that? I had a hunt around for it the other week and managed to find episode one, but everything else was languages I don't speak. And apparently there was a remake a few years back?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Honestly, a photo of a wild Boris actually wearing his mask is the more newsworthy artefact.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
A bit late to the 'old racist stuff from childhood' chat, but throwing mine on the pile:

When I was in primary school back in the 90s, we would sometimes have a 'religion' class which basically amounted to a local reverend or rabbi or someone connected to a religious institution coming in and... doing something. Talk about their religion or a holiday that was coming up or tell a bible story, it was very random and unstructured and not really supervised by the school much. One time around Easter we had a lady who was like a deacon of some alternate protestant sect come in and tell us an Easter story, which went like:

':) Before the Romans crucified Jesus, they needed nails made for the cross. But none of the blacksmiths in town would make them, even when the Romans threatened and punished them. Eventually, they found a greedy blacksmith who thought only of money, and he made the nails that the Romans used in the Crucifixion. The day after Jesus rose, the blacksmith woke up and found the nails had mysteriously appeared in his workshop, as if they had burrowed up from the earth. He was terror-stricken, and hurriedly moved with his family to a new town. But sure enough, soon he found the nails in his workshop again. The blacksmith kept on moving, trying to escape this reminder of his crime and his guilt, but the nails followed him for all his life. After he died, the curse passed on to his children, and his children's children, and all his descendants forevermore, to show their sin.

And that, children, is where Gypsies come from, and why they always move from place to place :).'

Just seemed like another weird Bible story to Year 6 me and I never thought much of it at the time. Remembered it suddenly several years later and was like 'wait, :stonk::stonk::stonk:'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If I were a greedy and unscrupulous blacksmith who thought only of money and had some magic nails that kept coming back to my workshop I'd keep selling them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I know that's not the point, but she's not selling the character's motivations very well in addition to being racist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Apraxin posted:

A bit late to the 'old racist stuff from childhood' chat, but throwing mine on the pile:

Which has sparked off my one too, I don't remember if he was religious or not but he came in to tell us a story about how there was a fountain that God told all the people in the world to wash themselves in, and the first people there were from Europe and they covered themselves in the water, so they were the whitest, then the people from Asia were next and there wasn't as much water for them, which is why they were brown, and the people from Africa were last and there was only enough water for them to wash their hands and feet, which is why they were black apart from the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet.

He used it as a parable for how rich white countries took much more than they needed, leaving not enough for the rest of the people of the world, but holy poo poo in retrospect that sounds like proper old-school Victorian racism right there.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Apraxin posted:

And that, children, is where Gypsies come from, and why they always move from place to place :).'

Sounds a lot like the Wandering Jew myth, which is a fine bit of old school anti-semitism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

Much better is the class 37, the mighty deltic.

<twitch>

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Frost has walked out of the government

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Trump_ton/status/1472212133635100679

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Scientists currently warning rhere could be 2m new infections a day by the end of the month, unless we immediately lock down now.

All I can think at this point is oh well, at least the entire country will have had it by the end of January :shrug:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Albinator posted:

Where did you find that? I had a hunt around for it the other week and managed to find episode one, but everything else was languages I don't speak. And apparently there was a remake a few years back?

I used to own the entire series on VHS but then I torrented it back when I lived in Cairo so maybe 10 years ago.
No idea about a remake, I have the original.
I recall there was a torrent that used to get to something like 98% and never ever budged above that. I finally found a different one at some point.

Ed: see PMs.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 18, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

I would say they surely couldn't find anyone worse to deal with Brexit, but this government would go "challenge accepted".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lmao jesus, Piers Corbyn is going to be having a chat with plod. Calling for presumably the murder of MPs and attacking vaccine centres.

https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1472280608709783563

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apraxin posted:

When I was in primary school back in the 90s, we would sometimes have a 'religion' class which basically amounted to a local reverend or rabbi or someone connected to a religious institution coming in and... doing something. Talk about their religion or a holiday that was coming up or tell a bible story, it was very random and unstructured and not really supervised by the school much. One time around Easter we had a lady who was like a deacon of some alternate protestant sect come in and tell us an Easter story, which went like:

':) Before the Romans crucified Jesus, they needed nails made for the cross. But none of the blacksmiths in town would make them, even when the Romans threatened and punished them. Eventually, they found a greedy blacksmith who thought only of money, and he made the nails that the Romans used in the Crucifixion. The day after Jesus rose, the blacksmith woke up and found the nails had mysteriously appeared in his workshop, as if they had burrowed up from the earth. He was terror-stricken, and hurriedly moved with his family to a new town. But sure enough, soon he found the nails in his workshop again. The blacksmith kept on moving, trying to escape this reminder of his crime and his guilt, but the nails followed him for all his life. After he died, the curse passed on to his children, and his children's children, and all his descendants forevermore, to show their sin.

Just seemed like another weird Bible story to Year 6 me and I never thought much of it at the time. Remembered it suddenly several years later and was like 'wait, :stonk::stonk::stonk:'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_crucifixion_legend

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
loving lmao @ "Another version does not condemn blacksmiths."

Still calls all Romani thieves, but at least it's not bigoted against ironmongers.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

I know that's not the point, but she's not selling the character's motivations very well in addition to being racist.

What if you had him move home symbollically, just walking between two neighbouring houses, thousands of times per day? how soon do the mass and volume of the nails become a problem?

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 18, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still don't get why the gently caress anyone is annoyed by magic free nails, put em in your boots or something.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

loving lmao @ "Another version does not condemn blacksmiths."

Still calls all Romani thieves, but at least it's not bigoted against ironmongers.

The swerve back towards racism is really breakneck.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What if you had him move home symbollically, just walking between two neighbouring houses, thousands of times per day? how soon do the mass and volume of the nails become a problem?
I think it's supposed to be the same three nails that just keep returning to his workshop, so I'd just sell them and then they'd magic back to me.

"Sorry to hear about your birdhouse falling down Mr Murray, and the nails just disappeared did they? Well fortunately I've just made three identical ones this morning. I'd keep a watch out for any white fundie protestant ladies who go around to schools talking utter shite to kids, I hear most of them are also thieves."

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

I think it's supposed to be the same three nails that just keep returning to his workshop, so I'd just sell them and then they'd magic back to me.

"Sorry to hear about your birdhouse falling down Mr Murray, and the nails just disappeared did they? Well fortunately I've just made three identical ones this morning. I'd keep a watch out for any white fundie protestant ladies who go around to schools talking utter shite to kids, I hear most of them are also thieves."

What if you fired the nails out of a blowpipe and then quickly set up a sleeping bag on the ground? Would your nails come back to you, allowing a tactical reload?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They'd be quite big nails which would probably be a bit specific in utility at the time, and expensive.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If Jesus didn't want us reproducing miracles until we figure out how to violate thermodynamics, he wouldn't have shown them to us.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

If only we could have fused the two corbyns together to get both of their strengths

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What if you fired the nails out of a blowpipe and then quickly set up a sleeping bag on the ground? Would your nails come back to you, allowing a tactical reload?
Rolling a lizardfolk rogue assassin with a special item of racist bible nails

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
The next Christmas number 1?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP5-KpgGO3o

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/jacob_rees_mogg/status/1472256250650009606?s=21

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Hopefully Boris caved in on the Northern Ireland Protocol stuff and Frosty walked off in a huff.

I can dream... dammit! :argh:

As for the Romans, they had their own blacksmiths as they had to do maintenance on all the body armour ... a few nails were just ten minutes in a days work. :colbert:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

so there's a pre-Christmas Thing I was hoping to go to tomorrow, but I can't find an LFT anywhere in this godforsaken city

I had my booster 3 weeks ago, tested negative on a PCR last Saturday and have had no symptoms at all this week, am I a terrible person if I don't do a test but go anyway?

stay indoors screaming constantly, imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can go outside and scream too if you want, just do it away from other people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cry St Fu for Boris, the Tories, and Jacob Rees-Mogg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Albinator posted:

See PM

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I thought fax machines were the backbone of the NHS. (still lol)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That’s quite a subtle knife in the back now that Brexit is turning out to be about as poo poo as we thought it would.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

That’s quite a subtle knife in the back now that Brexit is turning out to be about as poo poo as we thought it would.

I'd read it as a desperate attempt to crawl back into party favour again after the second jobs thing, but you're right it has a lot of the "friends, romans, countrymen" about it.
A new challenger has entered the leadership competition.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Endjinneer posted:

I'd read it as a desperate attempt to crawl back into party favour again after the second jobs thing, but you're right it has a lot of the "friends, romans, countrymen" about it.
A new challenger has entered the leadership competition.

Yours is an equally valid take. Who can know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472332252612804614?s=20

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472331053775958016?s=20

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472335043586572292?s=20

Will Dorris try to crack down on Twitter or Whatsapp first :iiam: