Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Ikasuhito posted:

The Covenant just have a weird idea about digging and excavation given that one of the intended roles of the scarab is as a mining platform.

Apparently plasma streams are just really good at that.

That, and they know from experience that it doesn't do poo poo to the Forerunner artifacts they're excavating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Speaking of space elevators here's some simulations of what one breaking up would look like:

Base station severed

1/4 up

1/2 up

3/4 up

Counterweight destroyed

The gifs don't loop so here's an imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/oSALVgB

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

From this we can surmise that the cable probably didn't break right at the base station, but more likely a few hundred metres up, probably due to uneven stresses caused by Regret's jump.

Alternatively, the cable itself did snap at the base, but the support rings (which are all we really see scattered around) were sheared off from it, and then fell westward due to relative velocity.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

oh drat that whip action would do some absolutely serious damage

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Speaking of space elevators here's some simulations of what one breaking up would look like:

These are really cool, thanks for sharing. I know the cable is under high tension, but I'm surprised that the counterweight's orbit changes that drastically when it's cut at the base. But also...

Ablative posted:

Alternatively, the cable itself did snap at the base, but the support rings (which are all we really see scattered around) were sheared off from it, and then fell westward due to relative velocity.

I'm starting to think this is the most likely scenario. I think I might have been a little fixated on the use of the word "collapse".

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - The Storm

Sorry for the late video. As weird as it sounds I kinda "forgot" that it was Friday yesterday. In this video the UNSC strikes back, as the Chief clears the path for an attack on Truth's Dreadnought.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The poem in question is T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men".

The line is actually a reference to the Cortana Letters, which were kind of like I Love Bees, but for the original Halo.

Specifically, this line:

quote:

Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong,
THIS is the way the world ends.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is one of my favorite levels in the entire Halo series, and the music is a big part of it. Halo 3 in general had far and away the best music in the series, in my opinion.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Cythereal posted:

This is one of my favorite levels in the entire Halo series, and the music is a big part of it. Halo 3 in general had far and away the best music in the series, in my opinion.

Halo and Mass Effect have some of the best music in video games

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The mongoose is incredibly silly but for Halo's friendly AI it works extremely well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the real world, everyone on those Mongooses would have killed themselves in seconds.

I can just imagine the Brutes coming along later and seeing all these soldiers crushed under their own vehicles and being so confused.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can just imagine the Brutes coming along later and seeing all these soldiers crushed under their own vehicles and being so confused.

Then again, these same Brutes do use Choppers to drive around in, potentially the stupidest looking method of transportation I've ever seen.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Then again, these same Brutes do use Choppers to drive around in, potentially the stupidest looking method of transportation I've ever seen.

That might be because they originated as farming equipment. Sorta. It's complicated.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Samovar posted:

OK, but it also let's you make bad Predator jokes so it's actually the best vehicle in the game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

When the Chopper first showed up it gave me serious Ork vibes, to the point where I was muttering "MOAR DAKKA" while watching the video

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

05 - Floodgate

As if we didn't have enough to deal with, now the Flood have joined the party in the Battle for Earth.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The flamethrower is great against the Flood, Frenzy! It one-taps pure forms! Even tanks!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
God those new flood forms are grotesque

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Flashback to The Many from System Shock 2.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ablative posted:

That might be because they originated as farming equipment. Sorta. It's complicated.

And I thought the Leman Russ originally being a tractor was silly...

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

And I thought the Leman Russ originally being a tractor was silly...

Well, it was never actually used in that capacity. It was designed by an Engineer shortly after first contact as a peace offering/mea culpa for killing a human freighter pilot (who was hauling farming equipment).

Unfortunately said Engineer was on a Brute ship, and they saw this thing it had thrown together with scrap metal and went "that looks dead killy, let's strap some guns to it!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That was a real quick transition from the start of a zombie movie to "crying in the corner over lost humanity and mumbling about suicide." That was, what, 5 minutes? Get a hold of yourself man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well we can't be done with the Flood yet so I'm curious to see if Half-Jaw is just real lovely at glassing planets or what.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Well we can't be done with the Flood yet so I'm curious to see if Half-Jaw is just real lovely at glassing planets or what.

I mean, Cortana did say High Charity was on its way, it's not like glassing Voi gets rid of all the Flood forever.

Just the ones that were on that ship. Indulgence of Conviction, by the way. Covenant have weird ship names.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

the latest video is when i realized that i have never actually played all the way through halo 3.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

NinetySevenA posted:

the latest video is when i realized that i have never actually played all the way through halo 3.

This is as far as my knowledge of the series extends, too.

From here on out it's all new :dance:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

The flamethrower is great against the Flood, Frenzy! It one-taps pure forms! Even tanks!

Haha, it'll get another shot later on. I just find that even if it's effective against the Flood you end up with flaming zombies right up in your face and the bright light makes it so you can't tell if they're dead or still attacking or if you're taking damage or what. I much prefer trying to keep things at the mid-range or using more, uh, "user friendly" OHK weapons up close.

Kibayasu posted:

That was a real quick transition from the start of a zombie movie to "crying in the corner over lost humanity and mumbling about suicide." That was, what, 5 minutes? Get a hold of yourself man.

The one thing that has always stuck out to me is that none of the corpses around him show any sign of flood-ification, even though he's describing full combat forms. I still wonder whether it's supposed to be implied that he saw some of the Flood and just killed everyone around him, infected or not, and that's why he's so screwed up trying to rationalize it.

TwoPair posted:

Listen, Half-Jaw has only been a Shipmaster for like 2 weeks, much less leading a whole fleet. I imagine that destruction on that scale takes some practice to get right.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The one thing that has always stuck out to me is that none of the corpses around him show any sign of flood-ification, even though he's describing full combat forms. I still wonder whether it's supposed to be implied that he saw some of the Flood and just killed everyone around him, infected or not, and that's why he's so screwed up trying to rationalize it.
I honestly wonder if it's a case of "Whoops, we put the wrong corpse models on the ground. That's our bad." that hasn't been fixed since 2007.

The other option is that this poor sap has been fighting almost non-stop since Regret's fleet arrived on Earth's doorstep and has finally hit a breaking point with the Flood now arriving and making things worse, not helped by the fact that the Elites (essentially the "face" of the Covenant forces) are showing up and giving none of the infected any quarter or mercy. Much like the Covenant have been doing for nearly 30 years prior.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

It might also be possible that he ran away from wherever all that happened and just holed up in the warehouse because it felt safer.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think the clear implication is that the man simply snapped under the horror and pressure and went murderously paranoid.

Trying to convince him that "no, I'm not infected"? Sounds like something an infected person would say! No choice, gotta kill them! It's better this way! They won't get me!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think the clear implication is that the man simply snapped under the horror and pressure and went murderously paranoid.

Trying to convince him that "no, I'm not infected"? Sounds like something an infected person would say! No choice, gotta kill them! It's better this way! They won't get me!

Yeah that's the way I read it. Talking about how they hadn't turned but how he could see the Flood under their skin or whatever. Poor guy's mind just snapped in the middle of this zombie movie he's living in.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - The Ark (Part 1)

We follow the Covenant through the portal, and what we find isn't quite what we expected.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is one of two contenders for my favorite level in the entire series. :allears:

I've also poked Halo Wars again recently, and that game's manual suggests an interesting bit of trivia: Hunters got their name because they're considered by the UNSC to be the Covenant's main anti-vehicle infantry force. And all the UNSC vehicles are named after animals. Thus, Hunters.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

It always weirded me out how the player isn't affected by the Dawn's... wake? I guess? but everything else in the canyon is.

Anyway, tanks are always fun in Halo, and it was a wonderful thing having Alan Tudyk basically voice my own inner monologue during that first roll-out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know its mostly a space war and planets just end up getting blown up but with tanks like they have you have to wonder how the humans lost any battle at all.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kibayasu posted:

I know its mostly a space war and planets just end up getting blown up but with tanks like they have you have to wonder how the humans lost any battle at all.

Lore-wise it sure looks like the Covenant are able to field a lot more Wraiths than humans can field tanks.

'Anti-air wraiths' are supposedly capable to tearing up ships, as we hear numerous times in the videos, so presumably just getting tanks to a battle is arduous in itself.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aside from like one more cutscene and the very ending, we're officially past the point where I know anything about Halo canon so I'm real excited to see where things are going from here.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kibayasu posted:

This is one of those multiple-writer ludonarrative things, but supposedly the humans have won most ground engagements and that's why the Elites kept asking why the Prophets didn't just sign them up instead of burning the planet from orbit all the time.

Of course then the player has to save the day, so in-game the humans need rescuing a lot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Watching the Dawn come in.

Just drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Loxbourne posted:

This is one of those multiple-writer ludonarrative things, but supposedly the humans have won most ground engagements and that's why the Elites kept asking why the Prophets didn't just sign them up instead of burning the planet from orbit all the time.

Of course then the player has to save the day, so in-game the humans need rescuing a lot.

It's this. In the fluff, the Covenant have won almost every battle in space. All the victories on the ground don't mean poo poo if a Covenant ship can just arrive overhead and glass the continent.