Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brent Connolly got 4 games

Late edit, really sad news out of Arizona. The Yotes have a ton of problems through various management regimes but Matt was not one of them. He was their Director of Amateur Development and did an absolute ton to grow the youth game in Arizona.

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/1472671486217388033

as always, gently caress a cancer.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, the temperatures mixing form like a cloud where Covid droplets hang.

It was children’s head height I believe but that’s not like it means it’s not a concern for pros.

Brings new meaning to the phrase 'keep your head up'

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
so now that NHL players are almost certainly not going to the olympics(as much as i hate to give a barstool scoop credit) we can start speculating on the non nhl rosters.
Like for instance, is Pavel Datsyuk gonna suit up again?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mono posted:

The players need to suck it up so we can yell SHOOT at them while drinking $18 beers

The last time I went to a game there was a group of like 6 year old girls doing this (sans the beer) and it was hilariously adorable.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Leafs have gone ahead and called it a week.

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1472747731684835330

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Thinking of next effort posts. Would you all rather skip past words about breakouts OR the extremely nebulous thoughts on 'spacing'?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Thinking of next effort posts. Would you all rather skip past words about breakouts OR the extremely nebulous thoughts on 'spacing'?

Breakouts. I think that'd be especially useful for the new seattle fans given that they would not be familiar with the concept and have surely not seen a coherent breakout system from their team

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Not sure I trust the Barstool sources, but:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1472779554582319107

...that's about as legit as it gets.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not sure I trust the Barstool sources, but:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1472779554582319107

...that's about as legit as it gets.

I was hoping the statements from players were effectively negotiation with the Olympic committee/China around lowering the covid timeframes, but I guess it’s pretty hard to negotiate with a country the size of China that doesn’t care for the sport. (Now the us and Canadian teams will only win 10-0 v China)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What if china actually won with amateurs? Almost be worth it for the Don Cherry whining

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I honestly don’t think I’ve heard or read one of Don Cherry’s opinions since he got his rear end fired and I don’t miss them.

I just wish he would have taken Ron with him.

Also, the channel one cup is going on in Russia right now. In their game against Canada a few days ago the Russians came out in USSR jerseys. The reactions in Russia are quite split, a lot of people hate the Soviet Union, but all the old folks and nationalists want to use them at the Olympics.

It might have been to please Putin who has been talking a lot about the USSR lately.

https://mobile.twitter.com/russiahockey/status/1471062443661176835

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 20, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Scaramouche posted:

What if china actually won with amateurs? Almost be worth it for the Don Cherry whining

Could we ship Cherry to China to see it in person?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I honestly don’t think I’ve heard or read one of Don Cherry’s opinions since he got his rear end fired and I don’t miss them.

I just wish he would have taken Ron with him.

Also, the channel one cup is going on in Russia right now. In their game against Canada a few days ago the Russians came out in USSR jerseys. The reactions in Russia are quite split, a lot of people hate the Soviet Union, but all the old folks and nationalists want to use them at the Olympics.

It might have been to please Putin who has been talking a lot about the USSR lately.

https://mobile.twitter.com/russiahockey/status/1471062443661176835

hell yeah. these rule

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
If the NHL players skip the Olympics, what does that mean for the two week break in the NHL schedule?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DJExile posted:

Brent Connolly got 4 games

So, same as intentionally kneeing someone in the head. Good job, NHL. (This is more a comment on Spezza's appeal than Connolly's suspension)

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Koth posted:

If the NHL players skip the Olympics, what does that mean for the two week break in the NHL schedule?

Making up this two weeks of postponements

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Koth posted:

They do have an alternative planned schedule with a 1-week break instead of 3 (according to sources), but most arenas are probably already booked for other events, so it probably means 2 weeks of very sparse games.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

thehoodie posted:

Making up this two weeks of postponements

Lol, check out this guy who thinks it is only going to be 2 weeks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

darkwolf220 posted:

Lol, check out this guy who thinks it is only going to be 2 weeks.

Lol look at this guy that thinks greedy team owners won't force games to resume the instant they think they can get away with it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am bummed I can't watch the Canucks right now, I don't remember the last time I genuinely thought that.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

VOTE1 posted:

I was hoping the statements from players were effectively negotiation with the Olympic committee/China around lowering the covid timeframes, but I guess it’s pretty hard to negotiate with a country the size of China that doesn’t care for the sport. (Now the us and Canadian teams will only win 10-0 v China)

Replace 'doesn't care for the sport' with 'doesn't care for covid' and you'll likely be more accurate.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1472961031341330434
https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1472964229405843461

Is it too late to send Cole Sillinger to the World Juniors?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1472973970504830978

9 teams have now been shut down through the holiday break (BOS, COL, CGY, FLA, NSH, DET, MTL, TOR and now CBJ)

Oilers look like they'll be the 10th:
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1472971733246349314

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/nhlflyers/status/1472973995033219075?s=21

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I am shocked that the Dallas Stars of all teams have managed to steer clear of Omicron.

Maybe being the oldest team in the league is finally paying off.. no social lives, in bed by 9 every night!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That didn't work for me :sigh:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
What's funny is they're going to use the break to make up some of the postponed games, but you sure as poo poo know they arn't cancelling the All-Star game. Gotta make that money.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

marioinblack posted:

What's funny is they're going to use the break to make up some of the postponed games, but you sure as poo poo know they arn't cancelling the All-Star game. Gotta make that money.

And all the stuff they're saying about honoring players' wishes will go out the window and they will still suspend anyone who refuses to show up to the giant gathering of idiots

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

With 1 vote it's breakouts! But, I'm going to talk about spacing anyways because I think understanding spacing and what coaches are trying to achieve with it is a fantastic foundation then building out onto breakouts and the various other facets of the game.

Lets get on with it!

Rex wait what the gently caress. That's completely the wrong sport! Heh yeah. We're starting with soccer because I'm explaining where I'm originally coming from (soccer) and then we'll work our way over to hockey and explain where I'm going with this.

Spacing vs positioning! To me...simply put one is individual based (positioning) and the other (spacing) is team based. Additionally, spacing isn't *just* about the amalgamation of positions, but also their interactions through movement, non-movement, and the dynamics involved. This applies to all facets of both games: offense, defense, transition, and dead ball restarts (puck drop in the NHL).

What we are looking at here is the modern 4-2-3-1 formation. This is one of the more common formations across the world because of its adaptability to a lot of different situations, player strength/weakensses, and ability to provide excellent balance in most phases of the game. In this simple 'base' of the formation we can see when in possession of the ball there are triangles created automatically for the players to take advantage of. Triangles are extremely important in both soccer and hockey because of the ease that they can provide players with quick reads to make passes and then perform movements off of. These pass and moves in both sports are generally choreographed with different reads and 'trigger' movements taking place all the time. In soccer the larger amounts of players and ability to close space/gaps or open them up through committing players forward and movements is then balanced by the spaces and gaps left open and available by that aggression. This is often true in ice hockey as well with too much aggression in passing and player commitment (think a bad pinch) can create extremely dangerous (counter-attacking) situations.

Re-using a Hakstol image to demonstrate my point a bit. VGK upon winning the puck battle in the corner have spaced out into a low triangle and a high triangle. Pietro has already read the play and shifted inside. This movement off the wall creates the passing lane as well as opens time and space for Pietro to walk the line while the other players reposition making it difficult for Daccord to make the save. Which he does not. Seattle's spacing and organization is, of course, dire. If/When I get into the defensive zone structures and such I'll get into spacing/organization/positioning and how they all impact each other in positive and negative ways.

Another important note is Holden rotating down. Seattle ignored/lost him in coverage. By moving down Holden opens the space for Pietro as well and on another day have an easy deflection chance. I personally would actually prefer Holden pull himself wider on the ice towards the lower side of the circle. Personal preference though and DeBoer very likely has his own opinions on that which is why Holden is where he is. All of this is maybe 5-10 seconds of elapsed time on the clock and is executed with very little thought.

The various other concepts I'll likely to refer and draw parallels between the 2 sports and continue to reference are: the press, between the lines/breaking the lines, switch, overload, playing out from the back, and maybe a few others. I'll spare everyone here the minutia of that for now. But be warned!

This extremely basic and vaguely relevant diatribe is mostly concluded although I still have *tons* probably bouncing around in my brain space, but having gotten into it a bit explaining overloads, overlaps, and the bunches of other parallels I wanted work off of will work better in the designated sections. Next up BREAKOUTS!!!!!!!!!!! I will specifically be pulling from Penguins stuff here because 1. Its the team I watch the most and have extremely familiarity with so pulling examples *should* be pretty easy. 2. Sullivan has been coach in Pittsburgh for a while now and despite player churn/turnover the decision tree is very well established and fairly easy to illustrate. But, if/when I conclude some of that people of other teams have examples of their teams and their systems want to talk about/looked at I can definitely take a crack at it :)

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 20, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's possible--not likely, since Ron Francis picked these players, but possible--that Seattle's actually a good team. We can't know, because they've never tried to play NHL hockey, and won't for as long as Hakstol is there.

This stuff is actually super important, which we learned from the Penguins. When they fired Mike Johnston and hired Mike Sullivan they instantly transformed from "struggling to make the playoffs" to "one of the most dominant teams of the cap era".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's possible--not likely, since Ron Francis picked these players, but possible--that Seattle's actually a good team. We can't know, because they've never tried to play NHL hockey, and won't for as long as Hakstol is there.

This stuff is actually super important, which we learned from the Penguins. When they fired Mike Johnston and hired Mike Sullivan they instantly transformed from "struggling to make the playoffs" to "one of the most dominant teams of the cap era".

Things the 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins had that the 2021 Seattle Kraken assuredly do not:

A generational talent 1C
Letang, Kessel and Malkin at or near the height of their talents
Absurd amounts of depth
Actual Goaltending

Yeah Seattle's probably better than their record indicates but there's no real comparison to what that Pens team was.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1472992332677062662

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but the principle is similar, it's possible that with a real coach Seattle would be battling for a playoff spot instead of battling for #2 lottery position

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

This comes up a lot in soccer. You can change manager and stay with the same general formation, but because expectations for where and how you plan to play through the lines changes, your team can go from not being able to pass through an airplane hanger to being able to ping the ball up the pitch in 4-5 passes. All because you change the behavior of how those triangles change. Conceptually it's as simple as changing the interior angles of the triangle when you're passing, but more difficult in practice.

What you don't see with Seattle is their triangles moving consistently. When you defend in that 4-2-3-1 in soccer, you have your DM and wingers dropping back into two defensive lines when not in possession or pressing and you'll end up with two lines of 4 or a 4-5. You can watch successful hockey teams do this in how their D pop out to the walls from in front of the net, where the center goes, and how the wingers press on the walls and blue line. But then their spacing between each other and where they keep their sticks is part of that positioning. Not having good stick and body position leaves lanes open to pass through, and an offensive unit on their toes will adjust to fit inside those gaps and take advantage.

The biggest problem in that picture Rex posted was how flat 4 of the Seattle players are to the boards. There's no shape anymore, it's just flat and by the time they even think to react, it's too late because they've left 3/4 of the ice open. So once your blow your coverage, there's going to be a chance. The better teams and systems will exploit it. So even if you don't give up a ton of goals on low danger chances, if you get dragged out of your space by a good cycle play you're giving up bigger chances instead. Seattle still panics like they don't know where the spaces are, or are being told to cover in ways that pull them out of shape. I wonder if part of this is how Hakstol seems to want to create chances on the breakaway, so they're jumping and taking risks where they really shouldn't be.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Eric the Mauve posted:

as a rebuttal, the flyers were still dogshit garbage after they fired Hakstol.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

AN ADDENDUM - I got myself sort of sideways off track and spaced ( :v: ) on why I wanted to start with the foundation of 'spacing' and whatever arbitrary bits of thoughts I slap together and post.

The concept of 'spacing' is one I love because of how many different parts of the game it touches....which is all of them. Gaps between forwards in forechecks, gaps between forwards and defense while cycling, and on and on and on. With the puck you can provide both verticality and width through spacing. In both defense and forecheck gaps and spacing can provide support to win battles OR create overloads/man over situations. In soccer there are 3 parts of the game teams attempt to exert control over: possession, area (both with and without the ball), and time (both game clock as well as time on the ball). Hockey isn't much different with both teams trying to impress their systems/styles on one another and take advantage of the shortcomings in both personnel, execution, and design of their opponent.

To draw on the Dave Hakstol work...his team is generally extremely closely positioned together. This can allow for tremendous puck support. However, it can also lead to the previous example of VGK having an entire width of the ice to work with (if they want.) or the Ellis goal in the previous Hakstol post where all 5 Kraken players are within 15 feet of each other and Ellis has room for a picnic and cornhole tournament.

I wanted to tack this on as a bit of a 'why are you talking about whatever this dumb 'spacing' thing is'. When watching an unhealthy amount of Hakstol Hockey (any) it became abundantly clear that this extremely basic concept hasn't seemingly even permeated any part of his brain space. I ALSO write it to bounce off of all of you. Whether it's a concept/idea that gets coached or talked about or enters anyone else's brain space. I would *love* if any of you that played at any particular level to chime in on this if you could. My sporting background is not in hockey at all. I played soccer and fencing. I've watched, probably , as much if not more soccer than I do hockey (although both are likely also an unhealthy amount :) ) and I've never had any formal hockey coaching and everything is mostly derived from watching/looking at spreadsheets and reading up on stuff here and there....and tons and tons of soccer tactics.

EDIT: ^^^^^^ JHET THANK YOU FOR REMINDMING ME.............I did not bring up 'depth' here at all and I absolutely meant to. Depth in defense isn't just for World War 1! But depth and offsets on how players move and deploy is exceptionally important. The most obvious example I can provide is the move towards more 1-3-1 on the powerplay and how you manipulate the 'bumper' in unison with the other players is fascinating and both complex, but why we've seen the shift to employing this type of setup.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 20, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are a lot of parallels between soccer and hockey because soccer is quite obviously a primitive alpha version of the world's greatest sport, Ice Hockey.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
FIIIIIIIIIIVE GOLDEN RINGS

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

DJExile posted:

Things the 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins had that the 2021 Seattle Kraken assuredly do not:

A generational talent 1C
Letang, Kessel and Malkin at or near the height of their talents
Absurd amounts of depth
Actual Goaltending

Yeah Seattle's probably better than their record indicates but there's no real comparison to what that Pens team was.

The Penguins were also still a playoff team under Mike Johnston, even though he didn't win the Stanley Cup in his one and a quarter seasons to do so. Seattle does not appear to be that.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Kilza posted:

Oilers look like they'll be the 10th [team to shut down]:
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1472971733246349314

And indeed they are:
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1473001576604254223

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

EDIT: ^^^^^^ JHET THANK YOU FOR REMINDMING ME.............I did not bring up 'depth' here at all and I absolutely meant to. Depth in defense isn't just for World War 1! But depth and offsets on how players move and deploy is exceptionally important. The most obvious example I can provide is the move towards more 1-3-1 on the powerplay and how you manipulate the 'bumper' in unison with the other players is fascinating and both complex, but why we've seen the shift to employing this type of setup.

The LA Kings are boss at the 1-3-1 through the neutral zone. It is very annoying. If Seattle were capable of running it, they’d get a lot more of those break always they so desire.