Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I once gave my brother one of my old pc games I didn't want anymore. Still feel bad about it whenever Christmas rolls around and, yeah, here it comes again: Guilt. :smith:

Buy your brother a month or two of humble bundle and he’ll have gotten like four times as many games for his pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just heard about the worst product in a podcast ad. I think it was called Storyworth. It's a holiday gift, a service for a friend or family member who will be emailed every day by this company and prompted to answer a question about themselves. After a year they'll have compiled the answers to the hundreds of questions your family member has been tasked with providing into a book, the supposed perfect keepsake to pass down for generations.

Merry Christmas, here's a years worth of homework before you get your lovely gift.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Beartaco posted:

I just heard about the worst product in a podcast ad. I think it was called Storyworth. It's a holiday gift, a service for a friend or family member who will be emailed every day by this company and prompted to answer a question about themselves. After a year they'll have compiled the answers to the hundreds of questions your family member has been tasked with providing into a book, the supposed perfect keepsake to pass down for generations.

Merry Christmas, here's a years worth of homework before you get your lovely gift.

The real gift is having their identity stolen and all of their online accounts hacked after they pass on every single conceivable bit of personal information.

Like even if this company's on the up and up what a beautiful target for hackers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Todays question all about you: Your favorite 4-digit number

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One thing that was a painful realization for me when I was younger was that most people really don’t like handmade stuff. When I was a student I had no money, but figured I could turn some paint and canvasses I was using for school into some nice gifts. So I broke up a series of paintings I’d done among my family members, so that everyone would have a small piece of abstract art that somewhat bore a resemblance to each other. I also included a special painting for my father which was the best painting I felt I’d done at that point.

I cannot recall how things went that Christmas, all I know is that I found that my sibling hadn’t even brought their painting home with them, instead leaving it on a dresser, and the next time I was visiting my folks I found my best painting stuff in a drawer while looking for some batteries.

I took them both home and they’re on the wall of the house my family never thought I’d own- that same sibling revealed months later that my parents were annoyed that I was doing well in school because they had only planned on me being in university for a few months and they wanted to reallocate the money they and my grandparents put aside for me to my sibling’s education.

Nothing like finding out your parents are cheering for you to fail because it’s more financially convenient! At least I like my art and have been successful.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 12, 2021

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Are you a professor now?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Barudak posted:

Todays question all about you: Your favorite 4-digit number

If your favourite 4 digit number isn't 8008 or 6969 then I weep for your earthly soul.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember the first and last gift my brother got me. Now, this doesn't count the 30 gallon aquarium he gave me some years ago, because he got a new one, and heard I liked fish, and it did at least come with a stand, but dude, at least clean it first.

No, go back to when KMart was around and actually busy. My brother's second job was here, and I was surprised when he actually had a gift for Mom and me that Xmas. Because all of his paycheck money never was there for gas or bills. But he got Mom some bargain bin lotion/perfume set. And me, with the price tag still on, a $5 rubber chicken. "For your clown thing," he said, all proud, remembering that I was a balloon twister for restaurants and birthday parties. And never ever had used a rubber chicken.

For himself, he got the brand new N64 system with several games, and he spent most of Xmas day playing.

By comparison, a friend of 20 years has always taken me out to eat for Xmas or my birthday. Now Covid killed that, but last year he gave me a little bag, apologizing for it being a cheap gift, but I opened it to find a trio of hedgehog statues. My last hoggie had just died a month or so prior, and I almost started crying because it was a thoughtful and cute gift, not at all cheap. That's the opposite of a Homer Bowling Ball.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Coolness Averted posted:

That's what Marge does in the episode. Which leads to her seduction by and near affair with Albert Brooks, so just be aware that may happen if you keep the gift.

Come on now, it was a massage coupon, it's not like it was a happy ending massage coupon...

...was it?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I just remembered a lid a knew in 1st and 2nd grade got a pair of adult large tube socks every night of hanukka. Thinking about it now is very funny.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I used to really hate getting socks and underwear for Christmas, now I love it because it’s one less thing I have to worry about.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bargearse posted:

I used to really hate getting socks and underwear for Christmas, now I love it because it’s one less thing I have to worry about.

I actually label it the Socks and Underwear Threshhold. You truly reach adulthood when you go from: Socks and underwear? to Socks and underwear!

I have requested socks for Christmas this year.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, I'm now in the Socks and underwear!!!! stage of my life and have been for several years.
Also was in to a "just buy me shampoo, conditioner, soap etc.."

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Socks and underwear I can get behind, but shower gel can gently caress right off; it's always Lynx/Axe Africa which is too harsh on my gentle, yet manly, skin and also makes anyone that uses it smell like a teenage boy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is sort of a reverse 'Homer bowling ball': when I was 20, my grandparents asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I had just gotten into Frank Zappa a year or two before this, so I gave them the name of a solo Zappa album that I had my eyes on (I don't remember now which album it was).

Christmas day arrives and I open my presents to find that my WWII generation, somewhat prudish grandparents got me Joe's Garage - an album with tracks on it about Catholic girls putting out and having sex with toaster ovens. My grandparents never found out what they got me and it was just as well; I like the album and still have it in my collection.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is sort of a reverse 'Homer bowling ball': when I was 20, my grandparents asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I had just gotten into Frank Zappa a year or two before this, so I gave them the name of a solo Zappa album that I had my eyes on (I don't remember now which album it was).

Christmas day arrives and I open my presents to find that my WWII generation, somewhat prudish grandparents got me Joe's Garage - an album with tracks on it about Catholic girls putting out and having sex with toaster ovens. My grandparents never found out what they got me and it was just as well; I like the album and still have it in my collection.

Lol that's wonderful.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've wanted to check out more Frank Zappa but I'm too afraid it's going to be off-beat/experimental and nothing like Valley Girl at all

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Phlegmish posted:

I've wanted to check out more Frank Zappa but I'm too afraid it's going to be off-beat/experimental and nothing like Valley Girl at all

There's more of the former than latter, but Zappa still had a lot of stuff that isn't too harsh to listen to. Check out 'I'm the Slime' so now you can say you like 2 Zappa songs.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sheik Yerbouti

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

My mother in law will purchase those super loud electronic childrens toys that just make the worst sounds possible from the thrift store for every kid in the extended family.

I knew someone who did this every birthday and holiday season, but very intentionally. She enjoyed finding toys that made the most annoying, repetitive sounds possible to give to her many nieces and nephews as a way of tormenting her siblings.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It didn't end up as a Homer Bowling Ball situation, but I think it was kinda intended to be.

When I was about 6 or 7, my dad asked me if I wanted a Nintendo. Because this lined up with being the early days of an NES and because we didn't have Atari or knew anyone who did, I didn't know what video games were and I certainly had never heard of Nintendo. He may have explained it to me. I don't remember that part, but that dad was excited about this thing and, thus, I was excited and wanted this thing too. Soon after, said Nintendo was purchased.

Dad was really into it for a couple of years. I'm positive he was the first in the family to defeat Super Mario Bros. and got all the way to Mike Tyson in that game. That faded soon after and all the game purchases were for me. He bought a Genesis later, but I can't remember him even attempting any of the games.

Almost exactly the same scenario here except my brother and I asked for a Nintendo. Dad got one and hooked it up prior to Christmas to see what the fuss was about. He and my stepmother got horribly addicted to Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Gyromite and just gave us the game system the week before Christmas during our visitation so they could keep playing it.

My dad also beat SMB before anyone else (I took a close 2nd).

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

One Size Fits All is a good happy medium imo. Nothing mean spirited and only a handful of off-beat songs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hot Rats is basically just a bunch of sick riffs, i think that album would appeal to almost any rock fan

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Blastedhellscape posted:

I knew someone who did this every birthday and holiday season, but very intentionally. She enjoyed finding toys that made the most annoying, repetitive sounds possible to give to her many nieces and nephews as a way of tormenting her siblings.

My brother sent my 3 year old son a drum set for Christmas this year. I know he's not doing it to torment me but then again maybe it's a subconscious response to the time I spun his then 3 year old son around in a swing until he barfed all over himself.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009

Ralph Crammed In posted:

My brother sent my 3 year old son a drum set for Christmas this year. I know he's not doing it to torment me but then again maybe it's a subconscious response to the time I spun his then 3 year old son around in a swing until he barfed all over himself.

It’s intentional, he remembers.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Considering that your brother is a family man himself, that drum set is no accident.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You don't give someone else's child a drum set by accident. You got owned.

Only way to get back at him is by giving his child a toy trumpet for their birthday

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The Bloop posted:

A handmade thing that was very thoughtful but goddamn terrible so it created an extremely awkward set of social circumstances

I still think decades later that it may have been a test

So was it a good fursuit

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phlegmish posted:

Only way to get back at him is by giving his child a toy trumpet for their birthday

I'd recommend on Otamatone, which is like a handheld theremin synth with a wah-wah effect. They can sound pretty good in the hands of someone who knows how to use them but in the hands of a total novice they're insanely annoying :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br_1pRsOPOc

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Phlegmish posted:

The kid in question is 20 now so I don't think that's gonna work.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I worked in a toy store for years and we did a brisk business in revenge gifts. it was the only reason we ever sold accordions. just like "my brother gave my kid a xylophone, what's the countermove here?"

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
The pro move is one of those cat-shaped toy keyboards that meows when you hit the keys.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

A child was given this during a family holiday party (wasn't from me)

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Don't have a bowling ball story per se, but I can talk about the one Christmas that pissed me off. My mom had recently remarried and we were having our first Christmas as an extended family. We weren't doing that great financially at the time, but I wanted a computer. I was given a price range for this computer. I found a bunch of parts within this price range and threw it on my list.

Fast forward to Christmas: step brother gets a game cube plus 3 games while all I got was shampoo. Still mad about this even though it was 15 years ago.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Neurion posted:

Last year it was calenders with poorly done photographs of wildlife from his tiny-rear end backyard. I'm excited to find out what he'll crank out this year.

Ok, but I would actually love something as absurd as this. He should do a new one every year. I'd buy a half-assed backyard wildlife calendar immediately.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ashmole posted:

Don't have a bowling ball story per se, but I can talk about the one Christmas that pissed me off. My mom had recently remarried and we were having our first Christmas as an extended family. We weren't doing that great financially at the time, but I wanted a computer. I was given a price range for this computer. I found a bunch of parts within this price range and threw it on my list.

Fast forward to Christmas: step brother gets a game cube plus 3 games while all I got was shampoo. Still mad about this even though it was 15 years ago.

WTF? I'm picturing you watching your step brother open his gifts and getting excited for yours, only to be puzzled by unwrapping shampoo. Was there any explanation on why you got nothing and your step brother got so much? The disparity should have been obvious to every adult in the room. Grr, the vicarious injustice is even getting me angry!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've told this story before, probably in the r/relationships thread, but I got married at the Jersey shore and instead of hotels we rented bungalows for the wedding party on my friend's block, a short walk from my family's house and the club house/venue. My wife's au-pair friendemies stayed in one of these free of charge. Three of them split a wedding present, a George Foreman grill. There was no room for it in our tiny kitchens countertop, maybe could squeeze it on top of the microwave underneath the cabinets. We hated it, never used it. It was a really insulting gift.

One time during a blow out fight about money or something, I was like "I'M SICK OF LOOKIN' AT THIS GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL!" and I smashed it in the driveway and when I huffed and puffed my way back inside I found that my wife was so turned on by the destruction of the lovely gift that we stopped fighting and hosed in the foyer.

Don't scold me for being wasteful, that already happened.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd recommend on Otamatone, which is like a handheld theremin synth with a wah-wah effect. They can sound pretty good in the hands of someone who knows how to use them but in the hands of a total novice they're insanely annoying :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br_1pRsOPOc

I dropped by my local music store today and asked if they had any otamatones and they'd never even heard of them before. Christmas is ruined and/or saved (depending on your perspective)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Thanks Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Anyone get good Homer Bowling Ball gifts yesterday?