Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

jokes posted:

I still don’t really get the logical leap from “I make X dollars and should get a tax cut” to “people who make more money than me should get a tax cut” instead of “people who make less money than me should get a tax cut”
The outright lie of "Trickle down economics" cast one of the longest shadows ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

jokes posted:

I still don’t really get the logical leap from “I make X dollars and should get a tax cut” to “people who make more money than me should get a tax cut” instead of “people who make less money than me should get a tax cut”

I'm gonna make more money next year. Not less. Less is for losers. I'm not a loser.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
One spring my lawnmower wouldn't start. A quick search and YouTube tutorial later and I had the old gas drained and carburetor cleaned and cut the lawn just fine.

A few weeks later I casually mentioned this story to my dad and his amused slightly smug response was, "Man, what would you guys do without the internet."

So I told him, probably over pay to take it to a shop to have them take three weeks to do what took me 30 minutes total of googling and farting around my garage. Total cost a $3.99 can of store brand carb cleaner.

On the whole he's a good and empathetic dude so that response took me by surprise.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boomers love to have dinner parties and inspect every single element of their house. Is that a streak on the window? Is that rug squared up? Are there any near empty bottles in the fridge?

Boomers love to attend dinner parties and say things like "oh there's a streak on your glass door there," "hey, this bottle of vinaigrette is just half full," "this rug really doesn't match," and "this drawer's handle doesn't match the rest."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My idea of a dinner party is having enough people over to buy more than one Extra Most Bestest Little Caesars pizza for the evening.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

jokes posted:

Because they envision themselves as future m/billionaires.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

Boomers love to have dinner parties and inspect every single element of their house. Is that a streak on the window? Is that rug squared up? Are there any near empty bottles in the fridge?

Boomers love to attend dinner parties and say things like "oh there's a streak on your glass door there," "hey, this bottle of vinaigrette is just half full," "this rug really doesn't match," and "this drawer's handle doesn't match the rest."
My partner was an Art History major. They had a bunch of really eclectic and interesting art they had gotten from various friends and shows they helped with, the kinda stuff that has been great conversation starters with our normal friends. My mom came over for dinner, and the ONLY thing she commented on about the appearance of the house was to ask about the powercord hanging from the AC wall unit. The power cord my partner hated and stressed over finding a good way to hide how ugly it was. They really know how to laser focus in on a sore spot.

This conversation also happened at least three times and infuriated my partner.

m: What kind of artist are you?
p: I don't really consider myself an artist, I studied art history because I like to
m: oh I just love Van Gogh, starry night is my favorite painting, let me show you my starry night phone case *rambles about van gogh."

Me: "Hey mom, she just got done studying Gauguin, a contemporary of Van Gogh.
mom: "I just love Van Gogh, so what kind of artist are you?"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Andos El Pantos posted:

One spring my lawnmower wouldn't start. A quick search and YouTube tutorial later and I had the old gas drained and carburetor cleaned and cut the lawn just fine.

A few weeks later I casually mentioned this story to my dad and his amused slightly smug response was, "Man, what would you guys do without the internet."

So I told him, probably over pay to take it to a shop to have them take three weeks to do what took me 30 minutes total of googling and farting around my garage. Total cost a $3.99 can of store brand carb cleaner.

On the whole he's a good and empathetic dude so that response took me by surprise.

That or get condescendingly talked down to by someone who knows how to diagnose and repair the thing while maybe getting the information you need.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

Because they envision themselves as future m/billionaires.

I feel like I'm pissing in vain against a receding tide but no ffs this is not and has never been a thing.

They worship hierarchy, that's all there is to it. To oppose hierarchy is to oppose Order. They don't side with the powerful as such, they side against the powerless.

e: "they" being bootlickers and fascists in general, not just boomers, just to clarify. If people think boomers dying out will usher in a golden age of gay weed communism then those people are going to be very disappointed, but if they had paid attention to what their graduating high school class is up to on Facebook these days then they could probably have figured that out ahead of time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sapozhnik posted:

I feel like I'm pissing in vain against a receding tide but no ffs this is not and has never been a thing.

They worship hierarchy, that's all there is to it. To oppose hierarchy is to oppose Order. They don't side with the powerful as such, they side against the powerless.

e: "they" being bootlickers and fascists in general, not just boomers, just to clarify. If people think boomers dying out will usher in a golden age of gay weed communism then those people are going to be very disappointed, but if they had paid attention to what their graduating high school class is up to on Facebook these days then they could probably have figured that out ahead of time.
If they worshiped hierarchy they wouldn't fight so hard to not wear masks /get vaccinated.

These thin blue line idiots must get a blue screen error message in their brain when they get arrested for DUI or domestic battery.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

conservatism is just the political manifestation of being stupid. they don't think about anything, they don't believe in anything. they just have poo poo for brains

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Panfilo posted:

If they worshiped hierarchy they wouldn't fight so hard to not wear masks /get vaccinated.

These thin blue line idiots must get a blue screen error message in their brain when they get arrested for DUI or domestic battery.

Authoritarian followers respond to authoritarian leaders who have positions of power, not just blanket positions of power. Biden is a lovely president and a lovely leader who doesn't deserve respect for how lovely he is doing. Authoritarian followers don't respect him though because he is not an authoritarian leader.

They boo Trump now at rallies when he talks about vaccines and boosters not because they hate vaccines but because he currently lacks power. If he chooses to run again you will not be able to find a single person who admits to booing him during these four years because they will fall in line the moment he looks to have power again.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

I specifically overheard an argument between my Gen-X coworkers opposing the proposed billionaire wealth tax because "thats where it starts, and then we're next"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

insta posted:

I specifically overheard an argument between my Gen-X coworkers opposing the proposed billionaire wealth tax because "thats where it starts, and then we're next"

more or less the same thing whenever my parents talk about it, or more directly they just call it their money, as if they’re anything other than the low low end of the middle class

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

insta posted:

Humans are inherently bad at comprehending the scope of very large numbers and billionaires exploit that.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

hawowanlawow posted:

conservatism is just the political manifestation of being stupid. they don't think about anything, they don't believe in anything. they just have poo poo for brains

This will always be my deep down truth, regardless how I may try to dance around it when dealing with family.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The best explanation I've heard is that they not only worship hierarchy (as somebody else mentioned), they also believe the world fundamentally consists of winners and losers.

Acknowledging that their success isn't a product of hard work a lone would mean admitting they are losers.

Acknowledging that people below them might be good people with bad luck, forces them to think they might be bad people with good luck. They have to admit they might be a loser.

Billionaire's are winners. They want to be a winner, so they align themselves with other winners. If I go against billionaires, I'm admitting I'm a loser.

It's the just world fallacy, and any admittance that the success or status any individual has might not be legitimate, forced them to think their own might not be legitimate.

So long as some 'other' can be seen as a loser, they will see themselves as a winner.

Then lefties go, lol we're all losers, life is meaningless, let's all just try not to gently caress each other over. Cool?

This plays out big time in IDPOL stuff.
LGBTQ and BIPOC are weak because let their problems get the best if them. Conservatives are strong because they didn't let their race or sexuality hold them back.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 21, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boomers also don’t let things like diabetes stop them from eating anything and everything in their vicinity. And not having money doesn’t stop them from spending money!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jokes posted:

Boomers also don’t let things like diabetes stop them from eating anything and everything in their vicinity. And not having money doesn’t stop them from spending money!

I hate to admit this but for years I helped my sister with her burger van parked outside the eye clinic they sent all the diabetics to for their routine scans (NHS so free)

That "lady he's putting my kids through collage" hot dog guy from the simpsons? Yeh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chief McHeath posted:

A lot about boomers makes sense as the last gasp of this culture that they made drat well sure their children wouldn't be able to replicate even if they wanted to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure there's some sociological writing on this that says it better, but Boomers were probably the first generation to get a nice childhood. Their parents were coming off the whole child labor thing and running straight into the Great Depression. Suddenly you had childhoods where parents had extra spending money and kids weren't dying of now easily preventable diseases.

There was more time to play and less urgency to teach kids how to do every little thing around the house and maybe that created a complex that Boomers took out on their kids. "Oh you don't know how to do what my dad expertly knew how to do and I only vaguely know how to do, what a pussy generation." And yeah, untreated PTSD from the Greatest Generation hosed a lot of people up. Gramps fought in ONE BATTLE and would drink a six pack of beer on his commute home from work. He was distant and resented by all of his children until late in his life. I can't imagine what people who fought for months in the Pacific did to calm those demons.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

jokes posted:

This one always struck me as particularly, I don't know, childish?

I already limit sugar intake in fear of developing diabetes or heart disease or whatever. I don't know, a responsible diet always just seemed so brainless to me. And this is coming from someone who was on food stamps like a year ago, so it's not a wealth thing. Yes it's more expensive to eat as healthy as you should but it is also criminally easy to limit sugar in particular. Salt might be the hardest, but again, read the nutritional facts and serving sizes. Though I'm not sure anyone from any generation checks that poo poo.

Don't consume over 200% of the recommended daily sugar intake, like goddamn it's so not hard.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boomers love to try to force people to stay much longer than they are comfortable.

*after an hour of casual post-dinner conversation*

"Well I guess it's time for us to head home, it'll take us about an hour and it's already getting late."

- "Oh but we haven't had dessert yet! I can't believe we forgot about dessert! Betty, go get the pie out of the fridge!"

"Just a small slice, we really need to get moving."

*Betty gives each person 1/4 of the pie*

"Well, that sure was filling, thanks for dessert. I guess we'll see you sometime after the new year."

- "Before you go, I've got one more thing to show you, you'll love it! Have a seat on the couch."

*Puts Ben Hur DVD in*

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My mom is great but she's always foisting desert on us.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chief McHeath posted:

Boomers love to try to force people to stay much longer than they are comfortable.

"Well I guess it's time for us to head home, it'll take us about an hour and it's already getting late."

- "Oh but we haven't had dessert yet! I can't believe we forgot about dessert! Betty, go get the pie out of the fridge!"

"Well, that sure was filling, thanks for dessert. I guess we'll see you sometime after the new year."

- "Before you go, I've got one more thing to show you, you'll love it! Have a seat on the couch."

*Puts Ben Hur DVD in*

People get lonely. While I can see this being annoying I just chalk it up to people who really like having company around. When my wife and I were dating she'd end up staying at my apartment past 3am because I kept asking her to stay.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Grimdude posted:

This one always struck me as particularly, I don't know, childish?

I already limit sugar intake in fear of developing diabetes or heart disease or whatever. I don't know, a responsible diet always just seemed so brainless to me. And this is coming from someone who was on food stamps like a year ago, so it's not a wealth thing. Yes it's more expensive to eat as healthy as you should but it is also criminally easy to limit sugar in particular. Salt might be the hardest, but again, read the nutritional facts and serving sizes. Though I'm not sure anyone from any generation checks that poo poo.

Don't consume over 200% of the recommended daily sugar intake, like goddamn it's so not hard.

They're really bad at health. I mean, I'm not surprised because for most of human civilization, we didn't know nearly as much as we did, and resources were such that most of us were eating cheap calorie-rich foods but just barely enough of it while working it off in the fields or marching or whatever.

The Boomers were probably the first generation that had not only improved nutrition due to post-war bounty, but also started exercising less as they aged without adapting their diets to a new way of life. Problem is that because well into adulthood, we started finding out how diet and nutrition really work, but since we (and I do mean younger generations as well) are still used to that same plentiful diet, we refuse to really change because "salad is for rabbits."

Good news is that I think there's a definite shift in younger generations in identifying not just food that's good for you, but good food in general.

At least in my experience. I think childhood obesity overall is still growing, so :shrug:, but almost everyone I know around my age is watching what they eat, learning new dishes, etc., whereas the older generations eat the same slop and refuse to do anything about it. Ironically while also dispensing bullshit advice about how "all of that muscle of yours will eventually turn to fat. Just you wait."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
50 yards

in 2018 They put GPS trackers on retired British boomers and found that they walked on average 50 yards outdoors a week

What they are doing is driving to a shop, parking directly outside, and the only sunlight they get is walking from car to door and back again. They also found that if there was no parking spot less than 10 yards away they would drive on, often to a supermarket.

What makes it worse is that this is the average, so you are going to have a few reasonably active people and then even more who never go outside at all and just do home delivery.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Regarding the dumb notion of learning everything from YouTube: It's true you could learn a lot of neat things from YouTube on the fly. A few months ago my ceiling fan broke down and rather than replacing the whole thing I learned that the fuse on the motor just went out and learned how to replace it for a fraction of the cost and time than replacing the entire fan.

But in most cases when I have to figure out something handy there's always some unexpected hitch that wasn't covered by the video. A couple years back I got into modding Gameboys and had to pick up some basic soldering skills. Each video was like "ok now lift this pin here" for this mod and as much as I tried I couldn't figure it out and had to do additional research to figure more stuff out. I eventually figured out I needed desolder braid, so I got it, but it didn't just work like that, I needed flux to make it all go faster, other videos showed the instructors using liquid flux. I couldn't find that poo poo at any stores locally or online. Had to get the paste. Very frustrating when the person in the video just expertly does things and assumes you know, even if it's supposed to be something a beginner level task.

YouTube is very fallible for those reasons and shouldn't be expected to last forever. Channels go down, or information becomes outdated. Or YouTube fucks with a basic thing that has unintended consequences. One way to tell if a How To video was good or not was the dislike counter. But now they removed the dislikes so you can't tell if a video is giving bad information or not. It's a crapshoot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Regarding the dumb notion of learning everything from YouTube: It's true you could learn a lot of neat things from YouTube on the fly. A few months ago my ceiling fan broke down and rather than replacing the whole thing I learned that the fuse on the motor just went out and learned how to replace it for a fraction of the cost and time than replacing the entire fan.

But in most cases when I have to figure out something handy there's always some unexpected hitch that wasn't covered by the video. A couple years back I got into modding Gameboys and had to pick up some basic soldering skills. Each video was like "ok now lift this pin here" for this mod and as much as I tried I couldn't figure it out and had to do additional research to figure more stuff out. I eventually figured out I needed desolder braid, so I got it, but it didn't just work like that, I needed flux to make it all go faster, other videos showed the instructors using liquid flux. I couldn't find that poo poo at any stores locally or online. Had to get the paste. Very frustrating when the person in the video just expertly does things and assumes you know, even if it's supposed to be something a beginner level task.

YouTube is very fallible for those reasons and shouldn't be expected to last forever. Channels go down, or information becomes outdated. Or YouTube fucks with a basic thing that has unintended consequences. One way to tell if a How To video was good or not was the dislike counter. But now they removed the dislikes so you can't tell if a video is giving bad information or not. It's a crapshoot.

Yeah you just described every cool Halloween decoration idea that I've tried to replicate over the last 2 years.

"Oh go buy a plastic skeleton..."

(uses a very specific model of plastic skeleton that's absolutely necessary for the project to work and then doesn't post where they got it)

I've found there are YouTube how-to videos you watch for entertainment and those you watch for actual steps on how to do stuff and there are far more of the former than the latter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

learnincurve posted:

50 yards

in 2018 They put GPS trackers on retired British boomers and found that they walked on average 50 yards outdoors a week

What they are doing is driving to a shop, parking directly outside, and the only sunlight they get is walking from car to door and back again. They also found that if there was no parking spot less than 10 yards away they would drive on, often to a supermarket.

What makes it worse is that this is the average, so you are going to have a few reasonably active people and then even more who never go outside at all and just do home delivery.

Lol, they are SO hosed

My parents reeeeeally need to downsize and not having a large house means they’re loving not going to walk ever

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The only youtube how to videos you should watch are by Brian or Graham very carefully explaining stuff in a shed, or Deborah in her wellingtons demonstrating things on a filthy outdoor picnic table.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Youtube is a blessing and a curse for me. I've never really been a car person necessarily; I've had some nice vehicles but I never worked on them or performed anything but the most basic customizations or upgrades. With Youtube, I have felt empowered to take on a bunch of car projects - installed a new winch bumper, wired up lights, other off-roading stuff - but as p. much everyone knows, Youtube can leave a lot on the table. Now I have four different projects sitting in my garage that I have almost no interest in working on.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

This is my take as well. Some people have a fundamental inborn need to be snitchy little cops. It doesn't matter if they're benefitting from the order they're enforcing.

You ever work with like, 6-10 year old kids? There's a period where they move from self-centered "*I* want this *now*" to "Ok, I get that I can't get what I want all the time because of this structure" and then they become insufferable little snitches who melt down any time rules aren't enforced in their most literal draconian sense. I'm a big misanthrope and not at all a child psychologist but if I had to guess, the purest strain egotism that exists has only just been yoked to some sort of social contract and motherFUCK if anyone else gets anything, or gets away with anything, that *I* do not!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

mojo1701a posted:

we refuse to really change because "salad is for rabbits."

Gotta say, adopting a rabbit has definitely improved my diet. I wanna give him a treat, but they can't have too much sweets or it fucks up their digestion. If I wanna give him a bite of banana or apple I need to snarf the whole rest of the thing, only other option is letting it go bad and get fruitflies in the bargain.

I drink way more green tea than I used to because he loves the spent leaves and it fucks him up and unlocks the binkies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PipHelix posted:

This is my take as well. Some people have a fundamental inborn need to be snitchy little cops. It doesn't matter if they're benefitting from the order they're enforcing.

You ever work with like, 6-10 year old kids? There's a period where they move from self-centered "*I* want this *now*" to "Ok, I get that I can't get what I want all the time because of this structure" and then they become insufferable little snitches who melt down any time rules aren't enforced in their most literal draconian sense. I'm a big misanthrope and not at all a child psychologist but if I had to guess, the purest strain egotism that exists has only just been yoked to some sort of social contract and motherFUCK if anyone else gets anything, or gets away with anything, that *I* do not!

Kohlberg's stages of moral development call this conventional morality. Most people don't get out of it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boomers start at Stage 2, skip to stage 4, never leave. Occasionally bounce back to Stage 2 here and there.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

*Puts Ben Hur DVD in*

Goddamn this one hits home. Christmas goes from a 5-8 ordeal to like a full-on eight hour shift.

Grandma we talked like less than a week ago, go to bed.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Boomers like to go on vacation and complain when their kids can’t cover all their errands and home care because of all the extra time it would take them.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Boomers love to print out their favorite porn pictures and then hide them so you get to find treats when you’re cleaning out their hoarder nest after they die of a preventable disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

CPL593H posted:

I'm not going to comment on tire changing but anything you need to do with a computer you can just google. There's so much every day poo poo you can find out how to accomplish by just loving googling it. A lot of the time there's even a youtube video that will show you. Not even trying that is boomer poo poo.

Straight up. I am routinely astonished the sort of incredibly helpful but simultaneously obscure poo poo you can can find out just by looking online. I have no idea why it's such a thing for people to sot down and just explain to nobody in particular how to do something seemingly far too minute and trivial to ever bother with, but when that poo poo comes up, God drat, am I ever thankful that these people exist.

I'm just about the least handy person on the planet. I barely own a set of tools and even more barely (less barely?) know how to use them, but in the past year, I've fixed a sink and a coffee maker thanks to online guides, which, sure, you'd expect to see stuff for that. How about those giant inflatable Santas? Fixed one of those and learned how to open box on a power cord and change a fuse in the process. But, okay, that's still within the realm of believability for the sort of guide a person might make.

Then, about a month ago, someone gave my son a Thomas the Tank Engine model train set that their kids had outgrown and didn't use anymore. It was used, and it looked like one of the wheels was misaligned, so... I don't know how to fix this loving thing, but YouTube sure as poo poo did. I got the wheel realigned, and it ran great! But backwards. Well, what the gently caress? Back onto YouTube, and some 9-year-old kid had made a video explaining how to make the drat thing go in reverse by putting a tiny 1cm x 1cm piece of aluminum foil between the negative side of the battery and the contact in the battery case. Opened the fucker up, and what do you know? Apparently, the kids it used to belong to must've seen the same video. I slipped the foil out, reassembled Thomas, and looked like a motherfucking train genius to my 3-year-old.

The internet is real bad for a lot of reasons, but holy poo poo, it really does facilitate people helping each other. It's the ultimate authority on "how do I..." questions. I cannot evangelize its utility enough for solving the medium-sized problems of everyday life. As someone who, like I said, sucks, it has let me cheat my way into being a vastly more useful person.