Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

botw was the first zelda game i ever beat (i played the first 2 nes games as a kid and didnt much like them, oot as a kid and it was ok i guess, and twilight princess after college and it was ok i guess). i had no particular fondness for the series other than a general "other people played this series in my childhood and love it a lot, but i think it's just ok"
same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

honestly don't know how anyone is a real zelda diehard, change three names and cut some sideburns and botw would be an entirely new franchise.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i know a couple of folks what are big zelda fans and don’t like botw at all

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

honestly don't know how anyone is a real zelda diehard, change three names and cut some sideburns and botw would be an entirely new franchise.

Nostalgia.

ime if you played any of the old NES/SNES/N64 games at the right age, it was basically the Skyrim of the time. LttP was the first gaming experience I had that transported me somewhere else. Gameplay was next-level when you compare it to its contemporaries.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm not a diehard these days because I've allowed myself to age and realize there's other stuff in life, but it's easy for me to see how you get stuck there.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

open world games feel so tedious to me now - the bigger they are, the more sparse and boring they become. and to fill in the emptiness of increasingly bigger and bigger worlds, they lean on procedurally generated content which just makes it feel even more boring and empty. getting older and losing that sense of wonder probably has a lot to do with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

i know a couple of folks what are big zelda fans and don’t like botw at all

yeah same

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I loved BotW. It's a great game and a masterpiece in its own right.

But the music sucks. It's boring.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

But the music sucks. It's boring.
:mods:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lttp is up there along with super Metroid on my list of era defining games.

I haven’t played any Zelda between LttP and botw, and enjoy botw quite a bit.

most procedurally generated open worlds are lifeless garbage, but botw is obviously lovingly hand crafted

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i didn't get into botw, although I only just got off the starting area, so sounds like this is a common place to bounce off and then get in when returning. i do have to say that i don't often like games where the worlds feel empty of characters, though. i never got into planescape torment or baldurs gate 2, for example, because they both start off in big dungeons that don't have anyone in them.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Truman Peyote posted:

baldurs gate 2, for example, because they both start off in big dungeons that don't have anyone in them.

huh?

you literally meet imoen, jahira, minsc (and boo) immediately after starting.

i've beat that intro dungeon so, so many times it feels like a tutorial area, honestly. then you are dumped into the city, completely surrounded by NPCs

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 21, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Count me in as "Loved BOTW, never beat any other Zelda game"

I also think OOT is actually not a good game, or at least not deserving of the immense hype, but I realize this is an unpopular opinion

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
oot was a massive step forward in 3D game design and construction and you can't downplay that but in terms of being an entertaining experience it's been long since eclipsed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Count me in as "Loved BOTW, never beat any other Zelda game"

I also think OOT is actually not a good game, or at least not deserving of the immense hype, but I realize this is an unpopular opinion

i disagree - i enjoyed oot immensely playing through it for the first time with little jones as an adult. same with lttp

im not arguing, im setting myself up to say "i have the same opinion on majoras mask though". that game was not very fun for me

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
holy smokes a lot of bad opinions about fantastic game botw itt

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

polyester concept posted:

I had no experience with zelda other than OOT. I got it for christmas '98 along with a bunch of other kids at school. Coming back after the new year and talking with everyone about how far you got over xmas break, and which temples you beat was definitely part of the experience for me.

I never bothered with gamecube but I got twilight princess for wii and never played it for more than a few hours.

i never got past the deku tree because i didn't understand that there was more to the game. i saw that there was a hole in the middle covered by cobwebs but i figured that was just the developers making the tree 'feel' bigger than it actually was. i spent all winter break just running around the starting area and being completely content with that.

then i went back to school and everyone made fun of me :(

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

polyester concept posted:

huh?

you literally meet imoen, jahira, minsc (and boo) immediately after starting.

i've beat that intro dungeon so, so many times it feels like a tutorial area, honestly. then you are dumped into the city, completely surrounded by NPCs

right, i was unclear. i mean that i tend to bounce off games where you start out somewhere that nobody appears to live in. your party is there, just rampaging through an empty dungeon. (maybe it's shorter than i'm remembering because it was literally 15 years ago that i was playing this.)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

one day in college I ripped all the way through OOT while my roommates watched since we had a snow day. i think I started playing at 10 or 11 am and a crowd of 6 people sat there the entire day and watched me beat the whole game in one sitting. that remains the only time I ever finished the game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Truman Peyote posted:

right, i was unclear. i mean that i tend to bounce off games where you start out somewhere that nobody appears to live in. your party is there, just rampaging through an empty dungeon. (maybe it's shorter than i'm remembering because it was literally 15 years ago that i was playing this.)

The big bad totally lives there, along with his dryad harem (who tell you all about how he can't get it up).

I'll grant that it's kind of long though, especially if you're actually exploring it and not just speeding through it because your already know where everything is.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think a lot of people have a sweet spot for oot since it was their first zelda game. I played a lot of Majora's Mask as a kid and it was incredibly frustrating trying to figure out what to do and when to do it. The dark story and having the ability to transform into people owned.

My favorite zelda game is still windwaker.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

haveblue posted:

oot was a massive step forward in 3D game design and construction and you can't downplay that but in terms of being an entertaining experience it's been long since eclipsed

Yeah, this. It's hard to contextualize just how lovely all 3D console games were that didn't come from Nintendo at the time. They were perfectionists at getting a good feel when most game studios were loving around with basic movement and camera controls.

Play Zelda: OoT, then play Tomb Raider on PS1.

Game studios have just nailed movement and camera control in the 2 decades since that it's easy to take it all for granted, and compare it to anything more modern that has better mechanics. Which is fair. But in context, there just wasn't anything better at the time.

Except Quake.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah I was gonna say. big caveat being that everything you’re saying is true for the consoles, but not really PC at the time.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My favorite zelda game is still windwaker.

i am really excited for windwaker to get released on switch or some later, more powerful console. ive never played it but everything i know about it makes it sound like 100% my jam

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

also oot was the first game i played with optional minigames (fishing and the horse track come to mind) that you could do if you got stuck somewhere or just wanted to mess around for a while. it was the coolest thing to me at the time and did wonders for the immersion. another thing that’s kind of expected now in just about every game

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 22, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i never got past the deku tree because i didn't understand that there was more to the game. i saw that there was a hole in the middle covered by cobwebs but i figured that was just the developers making the tree 'feel' bigger than it actually was. i spent all winter break just running around the starting area and being completely content with that.

lol owned

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

won a pretty good game of settlers of catan with cities and knights yesterday evening. took 4 hours before i hit 13 points and all four of us got above 10. never seen a game so close before

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I don’t really like open world games. but botw was an amazing experience.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
been playing ace combat and project wingman for the first time, in the past I’d dismissed them as arcade shooters but they actually scratch the old x wing/freespace 2 itch quite well.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

this looks sick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah brb while i build an eva cockpit to play that lol

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

I'm glad someone making a new armored core cus From sure as hell isn't

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol n00b

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Are there good options for setting up mario64 and oot on a big screen? asking for a child who needs to learn the classics, but preferably without the stingray controller.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yes there are

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

like how is that a question. get a switch and buy the online sub and those are both included. or set up an emulator on a pc or android thing or raspberry pi.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i eventually fell through it by accident

once i then stepped into hyrule field for the first time and realized just how much larger the game was: :aaa:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
oot and mario 64 are on the switch virtual console thing? god drat it, I stopped paying attention years ago when they were strictly NES titles only

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

oot and mario 64 are on the switch virtual console thing? god drat it, I stopped paying attention years ago when they were strictly NES titles only

mario 64 was on the wii vc the same day that the wii was released, and zelda oot came along a couple of months later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

apparently oot plays like poo poo on the switch, ymmv but i saw a couple of reviews saying such