Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the plus side, everyone mingling for Christmas means that in January we'll have a metric ton of data for Omicron. And possibly the collapse of several healthcare systems, but it's all swings and roundabouts, innit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A random thought - is the apparent lower severity of Omicron likely to be that it's infecting already-vaccinated people much more than Delta?
maybe, but people were already saying that based on the information out of south africa where only 25% of people have two shots.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, this is the big question for sure. The two-day doublings can’t go on forever. After a little over two months of those, literally everyone on earth would have it. And of course it didn’t go on forever in South Africa because of still-unknown reasons.

I am glad to see lower than expected hospitalizations from O in Ontario, though I wonder what “significant” means here. This preprint thinks O is maybe 70% as severe as D. It still seems like there are tons of confounders and unknowns here.
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1473380118475145216?s=20

This study is saying that Omicron cases that are hospitalized are 30% as likely to be severe (aOR = 0.3) in addition to detected cases being 20% as likely to be hospitalized (aOR = 0.2). Thus implying that severe disease is about 93% less likely with omicron than with delta, not 30%.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I got my results this morning from a Sunday afternoon test, pretty swift turnaround once I actually got it scheduled. PCR negative, was just the booster shot side effects.
That's now twice in the last month I've been in close contact for 30+ minutes with someone who got pretty sick from a breakthrough a few days after we were together.

I'd be willing to get a mRNA booster but I don't know who would give it to me or when, ideally without making false statements.

I'm gonna assume by the time I'm 60 days out from the J&J booster, they'll be recommending a mRNA booster. So far, though, seems like they are only indicating 1 mRNA booster from those who originally had J&J.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Xenophanes posted:

This study is saying that Omicron cases that are hospitalized are 30% as likely to be severe (aOR = 0.3) in addition to detected cases being 20% as likely to be hospitalized (aOR = 0.2). Thus implying that severe disease is about 93% less likely with omicron than with delta, not 30%.

I’m getting whiplash from all the “Panic! No wait, it’s good! Wait, no, actually we’re doomed!”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Like someone said earlier, there are too many “bins” that people are in now, and not nearly enough data.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
looney bin

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1473360059908374539?t=TUQFKmIeP3c2yO_jJzf85A&s=19

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I did not enter a single building that was not my own home from Feb 2020 until I got my first dose in March 2021. Thank you curbside groceries and online shopping.

I could have conceivably skipped the grocery store (the vast majority of my groceries are delivered). I really didn't have much of a choice about the vet or the visa renewal. I'd like to be able to go places that are fun, again, though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Drew Toothpaste is still a thing?

I got a couple t-shirts like a decade ago that made me laugh.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Xenophanes posted:

Looks like you’re right (which is good news). Edited my initial post accordingly. Big error bars on that confidence interval though.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 22, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A random thought - is the apparent lower severity of Omicron likely to be that it's infecting already-vaccinated people much more than Delta?

What you have described is a case of a statistical phenomenon known as Simpson’s paradox.

It is Trevor Bedford’s working hypothesis.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1471654963419893762

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So basically if you're COVID-naive good loving luck

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
drat, guess I should have gone back to licking doorknobs with everyone else last year.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

3 doses is baby poo poo!

https://twitter.com/PandemicInfoIL/status/1473409824742416389?s=20

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
think of all of the sweet Pfizer pens that the Israeli Fauci must have gotten from their sales rep

an entire mug full of them

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Wait, has anyone been trialing 4 doses? I hadn't even heard of pfizer or anyone else doing it for anything other than people with various immune system problems.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

wilderthanmild posted:

Wait, has anyone been trialing 4 doses? I hadn't even heard of pfizer or anyone else doing it for anything other than people with various immune system problems.

im guessing israel thinks covid is worse than any possible side effect from a 4th dose

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
every morning i wake up and open palm slap a dose of pfizer directly into my arm

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Google Butt posted:

im guessing israel thinks covid is worse than any possible side effect from a 4th dose

There's lots and lots of people worldwide with 4 shots of covid vaccine. A whole lot of immunocompromised people got early shots, then the recommended 3rd shot, then a legit booster because their 3rd shot was months and months ago

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a bit apples and oranges, but there is a Cuban vaccine that has five doses in its primary series.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can I do vigorous exercise the day of my COVID booster? Even though I know it's rare and I'm on the upper end of the risk group the myocarditis stuff makes me nervous. But I also don't want to skip my activity. Google has mixed results from "it's fine" to "give it 48 hours" to "give it two weeks(!)"

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

prom candy posted:

Can I do vigorous exercise the day of my COVID booster? Even though I know it's rare and I'm on the upper end of the risk group the myocarditis stuff makes me nervous. But I also don't want to skip my activity. Google has mixed results from "it's fine" to "give it 48 hours" to "give it two weeks(!)"

I ran in the morning and got the booster shot in the afternoon, and it all seemed fine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

Israel had started talking about a 4th dose months ago, back when the FDA was still deciding whether 3rd doses would be prudent based on Israel's 3-dose data. They've been ahead of the curve since the first vaccines rolled out

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

liz posted:

Welp, looks like it might be time to go back to home workouts for a bit :smith: It was sure nice while it lasted!

My zip code:

The alarming part of these rates is that the home tests are not included… I can feel my anxiety creeping back up, but I’m really trying not to let it get to me this time. My worry is not so much for myself but the world in general because it’s not even not Christmas yet and this poo poo is raging everywhere.

Just going to quote this post from a month ago:

QuarkJets posted:

I'm still lolling at that poster a few days ago who thought Omicron hadn't come to America yet

This is the variant that the maskless baby chuds are going to spread all over the country throughout December, if you've been using your booster to get a sense of normalcy for a little while then prepare for that to end.

When South Africa's infection curves were released (in November) this was the inevitable outcome. poo poo's already bad and about to get way worse.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Didn’t Trevor Bedford estimate Omicron’s genesis as late Sept-Early Oct? And then we first detected it (because cases were skyrocketing in an area with a heavily mutated spike variant) in mid-Nov? Yeah, it was already here by the time we knew about it. We don’t do nearly enough sequencing to pick up these things before they take off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

prom candy posted:

I am not a doctor or an epidemiologist but I feel like vigorous exercise before the shot wouldn't matter at all, and after would pose some negligible risk. Experts recommend curtailing exercise for 10 days if you've been infected with covid-19, so do that if you want to be super duper cautious (keeping in mind that there's a league of difference between vaccination and infection)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

I'm not worried about side effects, I'm just surprised since other countries have generally waited for studies. I was curious if they'd already done some kind of research on this or if they were just entering a phase where new rounds of boosters every 4-6 months are just a thing they expect to do going forward.

Either way it's good someone is doing it because it seemed like the 3rd shot data from Israel had an influence on other countries adopting it afterwards.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Google Butt posted:

Idk if there's a demonstrable effect that 4 doses greatly increases protection then I'm all for it, but if it's like 1-2% efficacy increase idk if that's worth it imo unless you're immunocompromised or around Omicron all the time

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It's getting to the point where surely it would be a more effective use of vaccine to shut down the mRNA plants and retool them for a omicron specific or multivalent vaccine rather than just give everyone 3rd/4th/5th shots in an attempt to keep up with emerging variants.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Idk if there's a demonstrable effect that 4 doses greatly increases protection then I'm all for it, but if it's like 1-2% efficacy increase idk if that's worth it imo unless you're immunocompromised or around Omicron all the time

Honestly by the time that data is in your hands it's already too late unless you are an isolated wfher who has control over their level of exposure. If a country that has proven to be ahead of the curve is doing 4 doses, I'm doing 4 doses

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
To me, it looks like immunity just wanes quickly (within 6 months) and you just need boosters twice a year. Then again, IANAI; maybe I'm wrong and third time's a charm.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

HolHorsejob posted:

To me, it looks like immunity just wanes quickly (within 6 months) and you just need boosters twice a year. Then again, IANAI; maybe I'm wrong and third time's a charm.

Seems more like 3 times a year tbh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cant boost the Kroost

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

HolHorsejob posted:

It does wane but your immunity is also way stronger 2 weeks after dose 3 than 2 weeks after dose 2.

This looks interesting: https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2021/12/us-army-creates-single-vaccine-effective-against-all-covid-sars-variants/360089/ I am not familiar with this source, just from my newsfeed. But I wouldn't mind giving this one a spin.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

An unusual metric for contagion, but i'll allow it. ;)

I wonder if it also applies to Goop candles. :heysexy:

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/telefeminism/status/1473310212249554946

Your average goon.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

When I flew from NYC to HK in March 2021, right after the NBA shut down and Trump made his big boy speech, a solid 20-30% of the sold-out flight was wearing improvised full-body hazmat suits. The woman sitting next to me had her feet in plastic bags, tape-sealed around plastic rain pants, plastic rain poncho tucked and taped, gloves tucked and taped, hood on with multiple masks, and what I think was a scuba-diving mask. She did not get up once during the entire 16-hour flight.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Just gonna modify my PPE completely out of spec here, hold on a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

my favorite part of flying during the pandemic was every time the tsa made me take my mask off at security in the giant cattle pen full of all the other loving morons traveling during a global pandemic