Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ichabod Tane posted:

V getting that poo poo out of his head / fixing himself is the only thing driving this hack rear end Johnny Mnemonic plot

I just want to hang with my Aldecado brothers and sisters and Panam. It's been my favorite part of the story so far, and when Panam asked me to join and my only options were Hell No, No and Maybe (But No) it was a little disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the only text that explicitly says how long V has to live is Vik saying she’s got “a few weeks tops” and Vik is not exactly the most reliable source of medical advice. But the game is pretty effective at also showing V breaking down and collapsing every other story mission so there’s no reason to doubt his prognosis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I think the only text that explicitly says how long V has to live is Vik saying she’s got “a few weeks tops” and Vik is not exactly the most reliable source of medical advice. But the game is pretty effective at also showing V breaking down and collapsing every other story mission so there’s no reason to doubt his prognosis.

Yeah. Vik says that in the same conversation with how the biochip is way out of his league.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

exquisite tea posted:

Not only that but he gives medicine (him or Misty) to help manage it. So the game constantly reinforces that V is in trouble without giving you a specific ticking clock. In my eyes, that’s the best way to do it. You have urgency, but not so much that doing side quests breaks immersion. At least for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, it's not like a huge deal to me but it's a minor thing that could've used some tweaking. It could've been handled like "Johnny and V bug each other but the two of them eventually hit it off" for most of the game and then in the very late game reveal that no, V and Johnny may not be actually getting along, but instead V is becoming Johnny and will soon face oblivion if they don't get him out of their head. Make it a slow build-up, not "Oh poo poo, this is going to wipe me out in less than a month!".

I think that's pretty basic storytelling. Set up a conflict, the hero has a journey with someone they hate but can't shake, eventually they become reluctant partners, then there's a big schism and the hero's at a low point and at odds with their new partner, then resolve it in the end by doing X. The plot could've just been a mutual agreement that Johnny needs his own separate body or to be uploaded to a computer or... whatever. The personality wipe could've come near the end of the game, along with V believing they're only getting along with Johnny because they're becoming him (which is also a plot point already in the game, I know, it could've just come later).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There wasn’t a literal countdown on the screen or the pause menu and I’ve played at least one video game before so I never thought of the time limit as anything other than a narrative device and I’m absolutely blown away that people expect V to just keel over and erase your save file after an arbitrary amount of in game time

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I mean, V still has to pay medical bills, and their job is Cyberpunk Dystopia Mercenary so they have to do that while sick to afford health care. It's still America after all.

Sort of.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The real countdown timer is the point at which V can no longer afford their monthly health insurance premiums.

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra

Bust Rodd posted:

There wasn’t a literal countdown on the screen or the pause menu and I’ve played at least one video game before so I never thought of the time limit as anything other than a narrative device and I’m absolutely blown away that people expect V to just keel over and erase your save file after an arbitrary amount of in game time
There was an awesome (for its time) game called Star Flight 2 that did exactly that. There was a secret, in-game timer that went off when you started playing and if you didn't save the particular local group of stars fast enough then a big-bad happened, destroyed everything and it was essentially game over. It looks like EA actually ported it up and it's available to buy and play again (I've still got my original box with 5.25" floppies around here somewhere). https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/starflight/starflight-2

It was far less of a time sink than Cyberpunk though, I'm glad they did it this way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been playing this off and on for the last few days, and i just want to confirm something as I'm trying to do a stealth pistol build: do sights on a pistol make accuracy worse? I've tried adding them to various types of pistols and it feels like it makes shot spread way worse and i end up missing way more shots then without, but that seems like it shouldn't happen since, you know, they're sights...that should be the opposite effect.

using base iron sights isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to know if that's what is indeed happening or something else is causing the problem

site fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 23, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

exquisite tea posted:

The real countdown timer is the point at which V can no longer afford their monthly health insurance premiums.

Who do you even send to collect on a merc with a body count in the hundreds, John Wick?

Ohhhhh...

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

DrunkMidget posted:

There was an awesome (for its time) game called Star Flight 2 that did exactly that. There was a secret, in-game timer that went off when you started playing and if you didn't save the particular local group of stars fast enough then a big-bad happened, destroyed everything and it was essentially game over. It looks like EA actually ported it up and it's available to buy and play again (I've still got my original box with 5.25" floppies around here somewhere). https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/starflight/starflight-2

It was far less of a time sink than Cyberpunk though, I'm glad they did it this way.

Jesus, 1986, that thing was older than I thought but not older than me :v:

While on the subject worth mentioning at the same time, IIRC, System Shock had a hidden timer after a certain plot point... I think the OG fallout had one or was it fallout 2 ? It's one of those things where you have to be really confident in your design scope to include or be really generous with the timer.

If anything, I'd feel like with a bit more time, CP2077 could have done more with the progression of the ailment as a plot device, maybe even further affecting game play - but like a hardcore game over timer.. meh. Dunno, can't design games, I just gently caress around for a living.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Conversely, it would be hilarious if the game goes "you have two weeks", and then two in-game weeks later you're doing some side quest and V suddenly just dies, total game over, no way to continue, save is ruined. Now THAT'S some loving immersion!

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
People advocate for in game timers for realism but almost nobody would actually think this is fun when they actually play it, most implementations are something like:

- no, you're at the point of no return, you can only start the final mission (but there is no real timer, you can still run around the open world)
- there is a point of no return beyond which the timer starts and you can't save your game anymore. The timer has to be long enough to finish the game but the endgame can't be long/difficult and result in few people finishing the game.

The realistic implementation of "ok you've got X hours before you get a hard game over, you can waste enough time that your save is unwinnable/unrecoverable" is horrible and isn't something you can throw down right after the intro section of the game. Any reviewer who hits game over without seeing the ending due to a time limit is going to TRASH the game.

Practically if you're advocating for this feature the timer has to be so long nobody hits it, or is in a game structured much differently than Cyberpunk because running into the stupid timer is no fun. So why have a timer at all?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Atlier games do that, IIRC.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

No one is actually arguing for a loving hard timer they’re saying that the devs should picked whether they wanted a game that people could spend tens of hours exploring and doing side quests or a story with a real immediate sense of urgency because when you put them together like Cyberpunk did it’s just dissonant and rings false

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Like one option would have been to reveal the Johnny construct early and then only at a much later stage say 'oh poo poo we thought this was stable but its rewriting your brain' when you are ready to take the player on accelerating tracks to the finale.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Splorange posted:

Jesus, 1986, that thing was older than I thought but not older than me :v:

While on the subject worth mentioning at the same time, IIRC, System Shock had a hidden timer after a certain plot point... I think the OG fallout had one or was it fallout 2 ? It's one of those things where you have to be really confident in your design scope to include or be really generous with the timer.

If anything, I'd feel like with a bit more time, CP2077 could have done more with the progression of the ailment as a plot device, maybe even further affecting game play - but like a hardcore game over timer.. meh. Dunno, can't design games, I just gently caress around for a living.
The original Fallout had a time limit of 500 ingame days after which you lost if you hadn't finished the main quest.

edit: apparently not Fallout 2 though, I guess I misremembered

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 23, 2021

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
All open world games with a plot have this problem, all of the open world poo poo and side missions about boxing are obviously much less important and time critical than the stated primary plot. Games that are totally on rails don't have this problem, but it kinda just comes with the genre.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

YanniRotten posted:

All open world games with a plot have this problem, all of the open world poo poo and side missions about boxing are obviously much less important and time critical than the stated primary plot. Games that are totally on rails don't have this problem, but it kinda just comes with the genre.

But they should probably not exacerbate that fact

Like, Skyrim is a game where the main plot is almost comically unimportant compared to the loving around but they didn’t have the guy in charge of Whiterun send you off with “…and the dragons are gonna all come and eat everyone in 14 sunsets”. There are ways to make this weigh less on the player’s brain and they did the polar opposite

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Armchair game dev nonsense follows

Imagine spending half the campaign pre-Heist building V's stats/skills as a run of the mill mercenary, and then the second half involves sacrificing those allocated points bit by bit and replacing them with Johnny's build

It works because most of the perks and stats don't meaningfully impact the gameplay

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Verdugo posted:

I just want to hang with my Aldecado brothers and sisters and Panam. It's been my favorite part of the story so far, and when Panam asked me to join and my only options were Hell No, No and Maybe (But No) it was a little disappointing.

i was into the american corpo chick, uhh, Meredith? Anyway, I went along with her hoping to do future jobs, etc. Nope. She's like thnx.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

YanniRotten posted:

Just have multiple checks similar to the check just before the final assault. Players are not unreasonable.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Zephro posted:

The original Fallout had a time limit of 500 ingame days after which you lost if you hadn't finished the main quest.

edit: apparently not Fallout 2 though, I guess I misremembered

Fallout 2 did have one, but it was 13 years, so easter egg territory. Fallout 1 had the original, signposted 100(?) day limit and then after that I guess the 500 days one which was never communicated to the player. There's one thing you can do to expand the known limit, which then reduces the unknown limit, which I really don't think would fly these days.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DC Murderverse posted:

There are ways to make this weigh less on the player’s brain and they did the polar opposite

It's a story about someone finding out they don't have long to live, it shouldn't weigh less on the player's brain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bust Rodd posted:

No one expects this. Those of us commenting on it have very clearly been talking about the disconnect between V's motivation per the narrative and the player's motivation to explore the world.

dyzzy posted:

Armchair game dev nonsense follows

Imagine spending half the campaign pre-Heist building V's stats/skills as a run of the mill mercenary, and then the second half involves sacrificing those allocated points bit by bit and replacing them with Johnny's build

It works because most of the perks and stats don't meaningfully impact the gameplay

I was thinking it would be funny if V lost a random skill/perk after The Heist, because they got shot in the head.

2house2fly posted:

It's a story about someone finding out they don't have long to live, it shouldn't weigh less on the player's brain

You keep saying this, and maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it reads a lot like "the devs don't want you to engage with the larger world".

Like, personally, if I'm in a race against time to get some shitlord out of my head before he kills me, I am not going to go looking for some fresh threads and do a couple gigs to buy a new car. But those things are there, and I as a player can choose to engage with them, even though I wouldn't if I were actually the character I'm role playing. To me, there's a disconnect between what the narrative tells me V wants to do and what I the player actually want to do.

I can understand they did this intentionally, one way or another, I'm just relating why it doesn't really work for me.

site posted:

I've been playing this off and on for the last few days, and i just want to confirm something as I'm trying to do a stealth pistol build: do sights on a pistol make accuracy worse? I've tried adding them to various types of pistols and it feels like it makes shot spread way worse and i end up missing way more shots then without, but that seems like it shouldn't happen since, you know, they're sights...that should be the opposite effect.

using base iron sights isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to know if that's what is indeed happening or something else is causing the problem

I haven't noticed the scopes making pistol accuracy worse, the ones I've used make ranged head shots significantly easier. It may depend on the scope or one of the Reflex/Body skills though, I'm still playing through my fist time, so I don't have a comparison. I'm using revolvers though, so maybe it's different with the semi-auto pistols.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 23, 2021

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I guess my only input re: the story and the death-timer plot is that I, as a player who is playing the game, would have had a lot less fun if the game was constantly shouting in my ear to do the next main story quest instead of letting me cruise around the city on my cool motorcycle and use cyber brain magic to fry some punks trying to mug some folks.

On the other side, I'm sure someone could have a perfectly fine experience with the game just going through the main story quests and completely ignoring everything else, especially since you don't need to be max level to beat it. Then you can do the thing that seems to be unthinkable to a lot of people and just move on to something else you might actually enjoy playing.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Another thing that could have been emphasized is that the Relic is damaged so that makes the head canon timer (perhaps literally?) completely arbitrary. I'd laugh pretty hard if they changed Viktor's line to something like "I'm pulling this number out of my rear end, but maybe a month. It might not even happen, who knows?" (yeah, and get that for all the voice actors... I can dream). That would create some urgency and give even some decent plot twist as the story goes on.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

The toxic people drove out a lot of the people who liked the game. I just check this thread occasionally for updates. Hope you’ve been doing well, and have a great holiday season.

This is endemic in this forum as a whole. Places like the asoiaf thread, the various trump threads, the old fat threads and Everest threads. Just the worst people in the forums setting up camp and wallowing in bile for literal years, and in some cases decades lmao. Extremely normal stuff.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DC Murderverse posted:

No one is actually arguing for a loving hard timer they’re saying that the devs should picked whether they wanted a game that people could spend tens of hours exploring and doing side quests or a story with a real immediate sense of urgency because when you put them together like Cyberpunk did it’s just dissonant and rings false

You're talking to the same dense mfer who constantly kept accusing everyone of wanting a GTA game when it was pointed out the combat AI makes zigzagging Nazis in Wolfenstein 3D seem like they were FEAR levels of competence. Legit doesn't even follow the basic wavelength of what anyone is saying in favor of straight inventing poo poo so he can continue being obscenely obnoxious.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is endemic in this forum as a whole. Places like the asoiaf thread, the various trump threads, the old fat threads and Everest threads. Just the worst people in the forums setting up camp and wallowing in bile for literal years, and in some cases decades lmao. Extremely normal stuff.

the game experience hasn't changed much. Still buggy, still crashing for people. If you want a place to talk about how cool the game is just make a less salty thread about it like they do on reddit or something. I'm not gonna sit here and act like my experience from day one has changed all that much.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Imagine if this was a Daikatana thread and people got upset at people poo poo talking it. There's only so much you can do when talking about disastrous doodoo. Cyberpunk's abysmal failure and extreme backlash is an inextricable part of the conversation. The game itself is extraordinarily bland and forgettable, just like Daikatana, the context of its launch and the continued ineptitude by a dogshit company is now the overwhelming topic of discussion. This is Derek Smart poo poo, it's Peter Molyneux, Chris Roberts, etc. etc. it's more fun, revealing, and interesting to talk about the enormity of their failures than the actual products, because the products themselves are mediocre pap.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ichabod Tane posted:

the game experience hasn't changed much. Still buggy, still crashing for people. If you want a place to talk about how cool the game is just make a less salty thread about it like they do on reddit or something. I'm not gonna sit here and act like my experience from day one has changed all that much.

It’s a loving game. Uninstall it and play something else. Just close your eyes. No one except other miserable fucks wanna read that garbage.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That kind of "game thread (but be nice!)" is always tedious. It's perfectly possible to post about the good aspects of the game in the midst of a toxic cesspit of fools (people who dislike Cyberpunk 2077)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It’s a loving game. Uninstall it and play something else. Just close your eyes. No one except other miserable fucks wanna read that garbage.

lol take a chill pill dude

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Knuc U Kinte posted:

very good and normal behavior when told to make a separate thread where thoughts contrary to his aren't allowed hmm

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I don't think people want a thread that's nothing but nice comments, I think they want a thread where a number of people haven't been posting "this game sucks lol" every day for a year straight with no variation. There's definitely poo poo to complain about but maybe those people should find a hobby they actually enjoy instead of perching like vultures over a corpse they've already picked clean.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Imagine if this was a Daikatana thread and people got upset at people poo poo talking it. There's only so much you can do when talking about disastrous doodoo. Cyberpunk's abysmal failure and extreme backlash is an inextricable part of the conversation. The game itself is extraordinarily bland and forgettable, just like Daikatana, the context of its launch and the continued ineptitude by a dogshit company is now the overwhelming topic of discussion. This is Derek Smart poo poo, it's Peter Molyneux, Chris Roberts, etc. etc. it's more fun, revealing, and interesting to talk about the enormity of their failures than the actual products, because the products themselves are mediocre pap.

It's not "people getting upset at people poo poo talking it," it's an extremely online ownage treadmill, chock full of poo poo like your dumb post right here. You're not talking about the "enormity of the failure." You are simply parroting it with different, equally dumb words. I can't think of another game whose main storyline featured the slow replacement of the protagonist's identity with another; I think that's memorable and interesting. I don't care that you don't find it interesting, but you seem unhealthily invested in telling people they also shouldn't.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

people aren't just saying game sucks. people are also adding why it sucks too

im not carte blanche saying it sucks. but it does suck because builds don't matter because the game becomes easier than a telltale adventure game after a few levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

homullus posted:

It's not "people getting upset at people poo poo talking it," it's an extremely online ownage treadmill, chock full of poo poo like your dumb post right here. You're not talking about the "enormity of the failure." You are simply parroting it with different, equally dumb words. I can't think of another game whose main storyline featured the slow replacement of the protagonist's identity with another; I think that's memorable and interesting. I don't care that you don't find it interesting, but you seem unhealthily invested in telling people they also shouldn't.

hoenstly, the protag losing their identity is a common trope. here's an article about that, using other games as an example

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-09-how-video-game-heroes-struggle-with-their-identities