Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had an interesting bug on my up-to-date Air 4 this morning where the little navigation marker or whatever it's called was missing from the bottom of my screen. I could not swipe to get the PIN entry to appear and Touch ID did nothing, which is a bummer as I have Rest To Open enabled. Restart fixed it, but dang, it was strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

There's rumblings that iOS 16 will drop the iPad Mini 4, which apple sold all the way up through 2019 (although it was old as heck at that point). Still got that for a couple of the kiddos and would be bummed if that actually happens.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW they continue to offer security updates on terminal versions of iOS/iPadOS, so the most they're missing is some new features that probably won't matter much.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW they continue to offer security updates on terminal versions of iOS/iPadOS, so the most they're missing is some new features that probably won't matter much.

Eventually there are apps that you can't download due to required OS versions. For stuff that you've already downloaded, they'll let you redownload the last working version, but those may or may not work with streaming services and stuff.

I know when my repair shop sold a bunch of old iPad 4s and Airs we got from a school, we had a few complaints about not being able to download Netflix from people who were getting their first Apple device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

Eventually there are apps that you can't download due to required OS versions. For stuff that you've already downloaded, they'll let you redownload the last working version, but those may or may not work with streaming services and stuff.

I know when my repair shop sold a bunch of old iPad 4s and Airs we got from a school, we had a few complaints about not being able to download Netflix from people who were getting their first Apple device.

Yeah, this is a good point, but *most* apps will maintain old versions for awhile, at least. I guess see how it works out before worrying, anyway.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just a bit of an update about getting a mouse for my iPad. Very nice to have and also very happy that I went with the Magic Mouse. Lying in bed and having to move minimally is awesome. I despise using trackpads to select and copy text, which is why buying a mouse was worth it for that alone.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I like the multitasking but usually the gestures go away. How do I make this leave???

Usually it goes away after like 5 seconds but not this time!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tuyop posted:

I like the multitasking but usually the gestures go away. How do I make this leave???

Usually it goes away after like 5 seconds but not this time!

I don't have any solution for you but can commiserate... I've noticed that grabber disappears when I place the drawer on the right-hand side of the screen, but it stays visible all the time when it's placed on the left-hand side of the screen.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I don't have any solution for you but can commiserate... I've noticed that grabber disappears when I place the drawer on the right-hand side of the screen, but it stays visible all the time when it's placed on the left-hand side of the screen.

There may be some convoluted way, but usually I end up just having to force quit the app. It's been half a year and I'm still unimpressed by iPadOS 15, the focus on multitasking and tab management just made both worse.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Is there a case for the iPad Mini 6 that can do landscape and portrait and holds the iPad magnetically rather than having it snap into a frame?

I have the ESR Magnetic case and it's pretty good, but for reading books I prefer the Mini in portrait orientation. I also like being able to just pull the iPad off the magnets to get it out of the case rather than popping it in and out of a frame/holder/clips, but all the rotatable cases I've seen so far seem to use those instead of attaching magnetically. (The closest I've seen are some where the iPad fits into a holder that then attaches magnetically to a stand/case.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is there a case for the iPad Mini 6 that can do landscape and portrait and holds the iPad magnetically rather than having it snap into a frame?

I have the ESR Magnetic case and it's pretty good, but for reading books I prefer the Mini in portrait orientation. I also like being able to just pull the iPad off the magnets to get it out of the case rather than popping it in and out of a frame/holder/clips, but all the rotatable cases I've seen so far seem to use those instead of attaching magnetically. (The closest I've seen are some where the iPad fits into a holder that then attaches magnetically to a stand/case.)

What do you mean by “can do landscape and portrait”? Do you have an example?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

What do you mean by “can do landscape and portrait”? Do you have an example?

I think he means being able to stand/lean on either side

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh that makes sense, I was wondering if just holding the thing sideways was the way

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You want origami cases. I have one my my iPad air and it can sit in 3 positions, mostly upright (landscape), mostly horizontal (landscape), and mostly vertical

The one I got for my air is this one (no longer available) but perhaps that's a starting point for your search for the mini.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GC6X7GR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E7GGCNG36TEQR51A2N7F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

seconding this request, I haven’t seen any that work with the current model

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm thinking of selling my 4th gen iPad Mini, which is cellular-enabled. Any idea how I can tell if it's carrier locked? I don't have any SIM cards from another carrier handy, unfortunately.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Swappa has an IMEI checker, not sure if it works with iPads though.

https://swappa.com/imei

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm thinking of selling my 4th gen iPad Mini, which is cellular-enabled. Any idea how I can tell if it's carrier locked? I don't have any SIM cards from another carrier handy, unfortunately.

Fun fact: every SIM iPad is automatically unlocked.

Carriers had a deal with Apple to lock the iPhones, but apple specifically pushed back in it with the iPad when the first one launched and it’s just always been sold unlocked.

Carriers don’t sell enough volume of them so I don’t think they bothered to push back on it.

So anyway, every iPad cellular is unlocked unless it’s reported lost / stolen.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Anything cellular and i(pad)OS 14 or later should have any carrier locks/sim restrictions in settings-general-about now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

You want origami cases. I have one my my iPad air and it can sit in 3 positions, mostly upright (landscape), mostly horizontal (landscape), and mostly vertical

The one I got for my air is this one (no longer available) but perhaps that's a starting point for your search for the mini.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GC6X7GR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E7GGCNG36TEQR51A2N7F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
drat, nothing like that yet for the new iPad mini that I can tell. There's more origami ones on AliExpress at least (a bunch more if you search for multi folding case), but nothing with just the bare magnetic folio style.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife ordered Apple Pencils for my daughters IPads. They both love art and drawing so we also downloaded Procreate as an art app.

My wife ordered Apple Pencil 2s but when we got them, we did not realize that they would not work with IPad 8th generations so we exchanged them through Amazon for 1st Gen pencils.

We received them today and I got them set up. Plugged each one into their respective iPads to connect them and then I plugged them into charge.

Tonight, I was looking at what it could do to help answer any questions my daughters had. The first one kept connecting, then disconnecting and then telling me that it could not pair with the pencil because it was either turned off or out of range. The second one worked fine and we tested on the other iPad and it had no issue. Currently, they are both plugged in to make sure that pencil #1 is fully charged when we check it tomorrow morning. #2 is plugged in because I read from some other websites that you need to keep the pencils plugged in any time they are not being used or the batteries go to hell.

My questions are:
1) Is the pencil’s battery that bad and you need to janitor it always or was that just a exaggerated response that I read?
2)Has anyone else had this problem before with their pencils or does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or a solution to it?
3) If we take it into an Apple store (nearest one is 2 hours away), will they try to fix it or just replace it?

Thanks for any info.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I'm after reports from anyone who has done their own iPad Pro (OG) 9.7" screen replacement. Parts vendors, handy tools, difficulty rating, things you wish you'd known before attempting repair, is it worth also replacing the battery at the same time, etc. thank you kind souls

e: Apple offer complete replacement as the only repair option in this country sadly

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear. A case where I can prop it up in either orientation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Thanks, adding "origami" to my searches turned up this: https://switcheasy.com/collections/ipad-mini-8-3/products/magnetically-detachable-folio-case-with-pencil-storage?variant=42210964275423

Looks like it's not actually out yet (they just have it listed for preorder) and it's not quite just holding the iPad magnetically (it looks like you put the iPad in a slim holder that then attaches magnetically to the rest of the case), but it's the closest I've seen. I'll have to keep an eye out for reviews once it's released.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I’ll say that Pencil batteries last an insanely long time. Days and days if not weeks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife ordered Apple Pencils for my daughters IPads. They both love art and drawing so we also downloaded Procreate as an art app.

My wife ordered Apple Pencil 2s but when we got them, we did not realize that they would not work with IPad 8th generations so we exchanged them through Amazon for 1st Gen pencils.

We received them today and I got them set up. Plugged each one into their respective iPads to connect them and then I plugged them into charge.

Tonight, I was looking at what it could do to help answer any questions my daughters had. The first one kept connecting, then disconnecting and then telling me that it could not pair with the pencil because it was either turned off or out of range. The second one worked fine and we tested on the other iPad and it had no issue. Currently, they are both plugged in to make sure that pencil #1 is fully charged when we check it tomorrow morning. #2 is plugged in because I read from some other websites that you need to keep the pencils plugged in any time they are not being used or the batteries go to hell.

My questions are:
1) Is the pencil’s battery that bad and you need to janitor it always or was that just a exaggerated response that I read?
2)Has anyone else had this problem before with their pencils or does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or a solution to it?
3) If we take it into an Apple store (nearest one is 2 hours away), will they try to fix it or just replace it?

Thanks for any info.

Apple Pencil battery replacement is only $29 and they just hand you a whole new Apple Pencil.
It's not worth janitoring your battery, just factor in a $29 charge every 3 years or so into your purchasing decision.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

FCKGW posted:

Apple Pencil battery replacement is only $29 and they just hand you a whole new Apple Pencil.
It's not worth janitoring your battery, just factor in a $29 charge every 3 years or so into your purchasing decision.

Thanks for the knowledge. Talked with a couple people from Apple yesterday. First guy said that while the pencils have warranties, we would just have to send it back to Amazon to be replaced because if not, then the Apple store would just send it off to be fixed and we would have to wait a few weeks to get back the exact same pencil. Second guy I talked to said that our device has a warranty and Apple will take care of it. He set us up with a appointment and specifically noted that we needed to have the pencil exchanged in store for a new one.

We made the trek over to the Apple Store today. First guy we talked to was not accepting of the “get a brand new one” aspect of us stopping by and seemed scared that we were even expecting that. Next two people were like “okay, if it does not work, then we will hook you up with a new one.”

Happily, both my daughters are loving using Apple Pencils and Procreate to make beautiful pictures!!!

Thanks for all of the help.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Crime on a Dime posted:

I'm after reports from anyone who has done their own iPad Pro (OG) 9.7" screen replacement. Parts vendors, handy tools, difficulty rating, things you wish you'd known before attempting repair, is it worth also replacing the battery at the same time, etc. thank you kind souls

e: Apple offer complete replacement as the only repair option in this country sadly
Apple offers complete replacement as the only option in every country.

I work in an independent repair shop, and I’ve done a few Pro 9.7s.

* Laminated display, so make sure you get the full thing and not just the digitizer. And one with pre-applied adhesive is handy.
* Be careful of the home button cable, it’s right at the edge of the screen. If you damage it you can replace it but you lose Touch ID.
* Get a battery blocker, or otherwise be very careful the power is totally off when you disconnect or connect the screen. Otherwise you’ll need to replace a tiny, soldered fuse to fix your backlight.
* The flex cable is a huge pain to properly get into place. You need to fold it (not too tightly) and slide it into a notch in the frame while you’re closing it up. Best to slide that in first and close it from that side, otherwise the screen will try to pop up in that corner.

As far as the battery goes, unless you’re having problems with it, I wouldn’t. In fact, I’d probably just replace the iPad when the battery does go out. It’s a very involved repair and I’ve seen a number of techs puncture iPad batteries when removing them.

Plus the recommendation for that model is to remove basically every other component to do the battery, which is a whole extra mess of glue removal.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Apple offers complete replacement as the only option in every country.

I work in an independent repair shop, and I’ve done a few Pro 9.7s.

* Laminated display, so make sure you get the full thing and not just the digitizer. And one with pre-applied adhesive is handy.
* Be careful of the home button cable, it’s right at the edge of the screen. If you damage it you can replace it but you lose Touch ID.
* Get a battery blocker, or otherwise be very careful the power is totally off when you disconnect or connect the screen. Otherwise you’ll need to replace a tiny, soldered fuse to fix your backlight.
* The flex cable is a huge pain to properly get into place. You need to fold it (not too tightly) and slide it into a notch in the frame while you’re closing it up. Best to slide that in first and close it from that side, otherwise the screen will try to pop up in that corner.

As far as the battery goes, unless you’re having problems with it, I wouldn’t. In fact, I’d probably just replace the iPad when the battery does go out. It’s a very involved repair and I’ve seen a number of techs puncture iPad batteries when removing them.

Plus the recommendation for that model is to remove basically every other component to do the battery, which is a whole extra mess of glue removal.

Thank you, this is exactly the info I was after. Very much appreciate the details, my dude.

Incidentally, when I was in the US I got the screen replaced under apple care+ for around $89 but that was a few years ago :sigh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a magnetic thing for an iPad Air 4 that just has a strap or pop socket type thing?

I love the smart folio case and it’s great to just take it off when I don’t need it, but I’d love to sub in another thing so I can support the tablet better.

I ended up just making my own with a magnetic folio case, cutting off the screen flap, and adding a MagSafe converter sticker and MagSafe pop socket.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Kid has an iPad 7th gen. We’re on vacation. His iPad just fully died ( I’m Familiar with the steps to restore or reset. ) my last ditch effort is a DFU with my max abs iTunes when we get home. I assume that’s still a thing
I charged it all night. It legit just feels broke.
No screen activity at all:
Black no backlight or anything.

Odd.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah trying a DFU restore is probably the thing. After that it’s time to talk to Apple if you want to go through the out of warranty repair process (assuming it is out of warranty). No idea on the cost. In that scenario you’re probably better off buying a new iPad or a refurb from Apple.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’ve got “the Care”.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Offloading my Surface and getting back onto iPad life. The most taxing stuff I’ll do on the iPad is maybe some light video editing (I have an M1 MacBook) and native gaming, am I right thinking there’s no real benefit to a Pro vs an Air?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Feenix posted:

I’ve got “the Care”.

Enjoy the sweet life of $49 replacements and overnight shipping!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

Offloading my Surface and getting back onto iPad life. The most taxing stuff I’ll do on the iPad is maybe some light video editing (I have an M1 MacBook) and native gaming, am I right thinking there’s no real benefit to a Pro vs an Air?

There are some real benefits but it honestly does come down to your personal desires. The M1 in the iPad will be much stronger for editing and gaming, but is the increased price worth it for you?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Coq au Nandos posted:

Aren't you in AU? The Pro is pretty competitively priced compared to an Air, especially if you want more than 64GB storage which you probably do.

Air4 64GB is 899, 256GB is 1129.
Pro 128GB is 1199, 256GB is 1349.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 2, 2022

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I gotta be honest, I don’t understand the iPad product matrix at all

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

I gotta be honest, I don’t understand the iPad product matrix at all

Product line subdivision to maximize profitability.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Product line subdivision to maximize profitability.

yeah. i sincerely doubt many people need the 12.9" like i did specifically for the screen size, but i sure am glad it's there.

it's also a product line with a lot of different divisions for a lot of different use cases - you've got the regular ipad for institutions (gotta get those facetime deathbed covid calls), ipad mini for like my mom, ipad air for regular people, ipad pro for me using it as a laptop replacement for grad school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

~Coxy posted:

Aren't you in AU? The Pro is pretty competitively priced compared to an Air, especially if you want more than 64GB storage which you probably do.

Air4 64GB is 899, 256GB is 1129.
Pro 128GB is 1199, 256GB is 1349.

Well, that does make the decision a lot simpler. Thanks Coxyyyyyyyy have a sick one champion.