Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I had posted last week after seeing Ron's Gone Wrong, here were my thoughts:

JazzFlight posted:

While I was onboard for the beginning third or so, I felt it just never really went anywhere interesting and then had a ridiculous final act.
I don't really think it had a clear moral message or point besides some mild "kids on their phones too much" / social media surveillance criticism.
I ended up not liking it much at all and thought The Mitchells vs. the Machines was a lot better (and I only liked that movie at about a 7.5 or so).

EDIT: Also, I think I'm done with media doing the trope of redeeming this pure innocent tech-bro founder who didn't intend for his company/technology to get out of hand. I've seen it in Black Mirror, The Mitchells vs the Machines, and now Ron's Gone Wrong. Heck, I guess Ready Player One, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I just finished watching Klaus for the first time. It definitely is not what I expected -- aside from expecting it to be gorgeous, which is absolutely freaking was. What I had in mind was more of an artsy European-feeling thing, rather than the Grinch meets Emperor Kuzco with a little bit of Up thrown in. I'm still a little torn on exactly what message it sends about the motivations for giving -- it kind of feels like it cheats/gives up after raising the issue -- but I definitely enjoyed it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The annoying thing with the last point in Jazz's post is that in Mitchells they really drive home how much of a bastard the tech mogul is, griping about his thousand-dollar hoodie and literally abandoning someone he just said he considered family for a newer version in the cruellest way possible. Feels a lot like Spies in Disguise where they had a really strong concept for something satirical and biting but got walked back at the last minute out of cowardice. Honestly it felt like the AI Phone was actually giving him one last chance right at the start given she'd already retrofitted his entire factory - maybe if he hadn't literally thrown her away she wouldn't have pulled the trigger. That would have been a more powerful direction to go in. Just make clear that just because someone is outwardly friendly doesn't mean that they are your friend.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sir Lemming posted:

I just finished watching Klaus for the first time. It definitely is not what I expected -- aside from expecting it to be gorgeous, which is absolutely freaking was. What I had in mind was more of an artsy European-feeling thing, rather than the Grinch meets Emperor Kuzco with a little bit of Up thrown in. I'm still a little torn on exactly what message it sends about the motivations for giving, but I definitely enjoyed it.

I liked that it started with kind things being done for selfish reasons then snowballed into kindness begetting more kindness for more genuine reasons.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that it started with kind things being done for selfish reasons then snowballed into kindness begetting more kindness for more genuine reasons.

Yeah, the message I took from it is that it doesn't matter why you do something, what matters is that you do something. A kind person isn't someone with kindness in their heart (whatever that means) they are someone who does kind things. And then, as you said, kindness begets more kindness in a virtuous cycle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It might be the kind of thing that gets cleared up after multiple viewings. The way it seemed to me, though, was that the villains explicitly made a point of saying the whole thing would collapse if the kids stopped getting presents... and then they were never proven wrong. That would've been too much like The Grinch I guess, but it seemed distracting that they brought it up at all.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That would have undermined the message though
The whole thing would collapse if the virtuous cycle of gift giving stopped.

It is the anti-grinch because human kindness is real and religious pageantry is false.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I watched Klaus for the first time last night. It didn't really hit well with me. I thought the choice of voice actor for every character except Jesper sounded like stunt casting recorded in one pass, and the sound mix was just jarring. Some of the animation was nice, but then there were many scenes that just felt plain and empty. The relationship between Klaus and Jesper was quite heartfelt but every other character interaction just felt so cliche.

So, a few things I thought were quite nice, but overall pretty lacking.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vitruvian Manic posted:

That would have undermined the message though
The whole thing would collapse if the virtuous cycle of gift giving stopped.

It is the anti-grinch because human kindness is real and religious pageantry is false.

I think maybe what I missed was the importance of that moment where the two large children from the warring families help each other during the raid and fall in love, which initially seemed like a comedic moment, but the main character did point to it as an example of the reverberating effect of kindness. I was unprepared to take that moment seriously, but if you do, then I guess it works.

Part of the reason I'm discussing this is to figure out if I want to show it to my kids. It's still bordering on too scary for the 2½ year old, but only a little. (Possibly the bigger concern is the emotional impact on a 35-year-old during an already stressful holiday season that frequently has us pondering human mortality.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

I think maybe what I missed was the importance of that moment where the two large children from the warring families help each other during the raid and fall in love, which initially seemed like a comedic moment, but the main character did point to it as an example of the reverberating effect of kindness. I was unprepared to take that moment seriously, but if you do, then I guess it works.

Part of the reason I'm discussing this is to figure out if I want to show it to my kids. It's still bordering on too scary for the 2½ year old, but only a little. (Possibly the bigger concern is the emotional impact on a 35-year-old during an already stressful holiday season that frequently has us pondering human mortality.)

I don’t think I would show it to a 21/2 year old. I don’t think the child will get that much enjoyment out of it. It’s not particularly funny, it’s themes aren’t exactly well written and the Santa analogy is a bit weird I guess.
It’s very pretty though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I saw the concept trailer for Klaus innn... wanna say 2014/15? And that was my set voice for Jesper the entire time I was anticipating its release.

So when I finally sat down to watch the finished piece, the American-accented Jesper was a mindfuck and I still can't make it click.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Klaus is a lovely little animated christmas movie, and it's a joy seeing a full length hand drawn animated movie again. But the voice casting in that movie is absolutely awful and none of the voices fit their characters, with the exception for me being Jasper who ends up working for the kind of character he is. And he's the only one that had a voice initially.

Norm's high pitched voice just doesn't work for that sailor character he played, Rashida Jones and JK Simmons feel the most like "hired for their star power, not their voices", but the biggest one that sticks out to me Joan Cusack. For as much as I don't think Norm's voice doesn't fit his character, double that for the character she plays. Her voice didn't match the character AT. ALL. Her voice still sounds quite young and it is completely jarring coming out of this 100 year old lookin' rear end old lady. I love the movie otherwise but the voices take me out of the film really badly, Norm and Joan Cusack especially.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

My 4 year old thought it was pretty but it didn't really hold her attention. There is nothing bad in it, though the santa origin story is a little confusing. When she was 2.5 it would have held zero interest for her but ymmv.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As someone who has apparently startlingly clear memories of childhood, dialogue-heavy movies were still pretty opaque at that age. Stick to age-appropriate fare, and let 'em sit in on anything you watch that you think won't traumatise them too bad if it retains their interest.

Also remember, kids will watch the same stuff over and over, because to them they're seeing new things every time.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I like Klaus through its probably got the weakest liar reveal scene I ever seen in a movie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I was 4 I watched The Last Unicorn daily for at least several months. A weirdly vivid memory.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

Kingtheninja posted:

Apologies if the dub trailer for Belle was already posted, but it's kind of bothering me? I remember mostly enjoying the other dubs of hosoda's movies, but this one sounds a little off. Like some casting sounds good, but the few lines in the trailer that should be synced to mouth motion seem really off. Is it just me?

https://youtu.be/iLCjdAmsFWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLCjdAmsFWo

I’ve heard really good things about this movie and this trailer makes me want to see it even more but on a very basic level I think it’s hilarious that Hosoda has been making movies about people fighting in the internet for two decades. I want to know if he tried to add an ending to Girl Who Lept Through Time where she has to fight someone in cyberspace

edit: like Wargreymon could show up in that movie and I would not blink once

I found out about the movie thanks to Youtube's algorithm, and I was confused since I didn't know who Hosoda was or recognize any of his movies listed in the trailer. Turns out I had seen Digimon though. As for the trailer's dubbing there were some parts that looked pretty off but I think the trailer is just using dialogue from other parts of the movie for dramatic effect. In some parts of the trailer it matched up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

When I was 4 I watched The Last Unicorn daily for at least several months. A weirdly vivid memory.

:same:

To this day I distinctly remember the drunk skeleton screaming “UUUUUNICORN!”

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was 7 years old when my dad had the whole family watch Total Recall (this was long after the original release) so I often tell people I am not the right person to ask if something is appropriate for children because opinions are quite skewed. I also tried to watch any "girl" movies we had in secret because boys aren't supposed to watch things like Cinderella or Snow White, I have fond memories of reacting as if I was just caught masturbating if anyone in the house happened to notice I was watching any animated movie that wasn't something like Aladdin or Robin Hood

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

A friend of mine in high school would watch Yellow Submarine after school every day like 2 years in a row. What’s weird is he wasn’t a strange guy, he just didn’t do homework and really liked that movie. He ended up failing to get into any college in the northeast because of the whole “never doing homework” thing and went to a tiny southern college, and is now an engineer at Google. Lol.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Apologies if the dub trailer for Belle was already posted, but it's kind of bothering me? I remember mostly enjoying the other dubs of hosoda's movies, but this one sounds a little off. Like some casting sounds good, but the few lines in the trailer that should be synced to mouth motion seem really off. Is it just me?

https://youtu.be/iLCjdAmsFWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLCjdAmsFWo

So I just saw this movie. It makes me feel really good about the future of Japan’s CG anime industry, the cg is top notch and more and more great cg animators are coming out of Japan. Visually it’s a marvel.

The story doesn’t work. At all. Individual scenes are fine but it does not hang together and there’s so many contrivances and leaps of logic and bad pacing that do a major disservice to the characters and serious subject matter. I was very disappointed. Maybe next time, Hosoda.

Good songs though. Soundtrack is a solid listen.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i watched both the last unicorn and yellow submarine repeatedly and it shaped my development as an individual

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ccs posted:

So I just saw this movie. It makes me feel really good about the future of Japan’s CG anime industry, the cg is top notch and more and more great cg animators are coming out of Japan. Visually it’s a marvel.

The story doesn’t work. At all. Individual scenes are fine but it does not hang together and there’s so many contrivances and leaps of logic and bad pacing that do a major disservice to the characters and serious subject matter. I was very disappointed. Maybe next time, Hosoda.

Good songs though. Soundtrack is a solid listen.
Oh noooo!
I love Hosoda’s work so much. Wolf Children wrecks me at several points in the movie.
I’ll have to see for myself.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really enjoyed belle, but it is a little stilted at points. The plot with the main character really hit me hard in a wolf's children way, I think you'll like it. I bawled real hard at the end of Mirai, so I'm a little biased.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So was the weird dubbing just in the trailer?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really loved Summer Wars and The Boy and the Beast so I was just knocked off balance by how much Belle’s story didn’t work for me. Like last month I expected Arcane to be a show with amazing visuals but maybe a lacklustre story but then the story was great, yet I completely expected Hosoda to deliver on story and instead all I got were great visuals.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I found the way Belle handled its third act twist to be ruinous and it just never recovered from it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Srice posted:

I found the way Belle handled its third act twist to be ruinous and it just never recovered from it.

I'm gonna guess the answer isn't "Wargreymon shows up." What happened?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love Boy And The Beast and Wolf Children, was mixed on Summer Wars, and wasn’t very enamoured by Mirai or Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Really looking forward to Belle though. Hosoda and Shinkai will always have me watching their next movies

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

when i was a kid i used to watch this on vhs all the time that drove my parents insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezO_Vmqhgg

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW5FLFUzI_s

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The Saddest Rhino posted:

when i was a kid i used to watch this on vhs all the time that drove my parents insane

Also worth listening in the original French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G3MLjqicC8

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Those old animated Asterix movies are much better than they have any right of being. I recently watched the 12 tasks of Asterix with my son on Netflix. Such a surreal experience still. He thought it looked horrible, but he still had a great time.

To be fair those movies do look pretty bleh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Bee posted:

I'm gonna guess the answer isn't "Wargreymon shows up." What happened?

It's a take on Beauty and the Beast but in VR and in the third act it's revealed that irl the Beast is a teen who is being physically abused by his father and since he has his webcam on some of the abuse winds up getting streamed online.

I don't think it's inherently a bad idea but I just felt like it was an over the top execution of some pretty delicate subject matter so that's when the movie lost me!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Srice posted:

It's a take on Beauty and the Beast but in VR and in the third act it's revealed that irl the Beast is a teen who is being physically abused by his father and since he has his webcam on some of the abuse winds up getting streamed online.

I don't think it's inherently a bad idea but I just felt like it was an over the top execution of some pretty delicate subject matter so that's when the movie lost me!

Wasn't this a thing that ended up happening irl, to a goon no less?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't this a thing that ended up happening irl, to a goon no less?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did! It's pretty believable that it could happen. My beef is just with how the movie handles it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just watched Encanto with my family last night and loved the two songs in particular. Surface Pressure and We don't talk about Bruno (what else can I do was a lot of fun too but I have less to say about it :P)

The former song gave me strong Billie Eilish vibes, at least the chorus and it had some strong visuals, and my brother and I did not expect Louisa to be one of our favourite characters.

I also loved the latter for how well is portrayed Mirabel's current obsession with Bruno's prophecy, especially when dinner is called and the other characters go to get ready, but Mirabel completely ignores it, because all she can think about is Bruno in those final moments, as the verses of the song play over and over scrambling in her head, drowning out everything until she finally assembles the full image. Just that chaos being totally impossible to ignore, and for Mirabel it is all that's in her mind at that point anymore, so any outside encroachment into her space is a shock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Srice posted:

That part did feel contrived with how the movie handled it but I also had a lot of other issues. It felt like the film sped through the the rise of Belle as singer, and the way U worked was super unclear which made the stakes confusing. Where is this beast’s castle? Like a hidden subdomain? Who are these Justice guys? Why does one of them have the power to doxx people just because he has a lot of sponsors? Why are a bunch of companies sponsoring self appointed moderators who don’t seem to provide any entertainment value to the online world? The movie is also overloaded with characters and none of them get enough time to shine except in the one sequence where the rowing guy and the popular girl confess. That was carried by some very nice character animation. The artwork on the beast doesn’t even look like bruises, and the leaps of logic into who could possibly be the beast are weird. There’s a very extremely off scene with a little baby avatar of an influencer that felt pointless and just baffling. A crowd of people are there in the school room to witness the father beat the kids, but then they let Belle go by herself to confront a grown and violent man? What?! Also I felt like the movie was trying to tackle a message about misplaced heroism or maybe toxic masculinity but never could focus on one thing for long enough to get the point across.