Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rage quitting after a loss. Typical Marco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Did the 'we can dud a torpedo in mid-flight at the literal flick of the wrist' thing come up at all before in the series? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to have, NGL. Bobbi had Marco dead to rights and Holden's just like "naaaah, overruled."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
having not read strange dogs, i very much misread the opening the first time around, thinking "wait, what, did the dogs... kill xan offscreen somehow? why?"

i am extremely oblivious to basic foreshadowing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Did the 'we can dud a torpedo in mid-flight at the literal flick of the wrist' thing come up at all before in the series? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to have, NGL. Bobbi had Marco dead to rights and Holden's just like "naaaah, overruled."

I assume the book had motivation for Holden and the scene but it's just a plot armor contrivance because it's only episode 3 and it was dumb.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah the torpedoes can be completely remote controlled. They've used that before.

Bip Roberts posted:

I assume the book had motivation for Holden and the scene but it's just a plot armor contrivance because it's only episode 3 and it was dumb.

Indeed. Why would this man not murder his girlfriend's kid right in front of her? It's impossible to know.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Marco was easily caught off screen in season 4 by some other Belters. I don't think he's that good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He's already destroyed Earth. It'd be satisfying to kill him, but it's not really going to change much at this point.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mister Speaker posted:

we've seen the ability to control/override ship systems from the wristcom thing. and some IRL modern long-range missiles (and undersea, wire-guided torpedoes) can be safed (or at least detonated short of the target) by remote command. it's not really much of a hand-wave IMO

in this situation weapons control is a logical enough thing to have precued on your handheld, but i admit the least believable part is holden's speed in hitting that button. otoh he had time to think about it while the missiles were in flight and pull up the interface.

also bobbi should be able to figure it out immediately by pulling the logs, it has holden's name on the command right there in what we're shown

i guess we'll see if it comes up in the next episode, otherwise maybe she just trusts holden at his word enough not to check (oops)

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 26, 2021

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Indeed. Why would this man not murder his girlfriend's kid right in front of her? It's impossible to know.

He's willing to shoot a rail gun at him, he's willing to shoot a torpedo, but then he stealthy disables it so she thinks he only wanted to kill them. It's dumb and out of character and obviously just written to prolong the plot.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bip Roberts posted:

He's willing to shoot a rail gun at him, he's willing to shoot a torpedo, but then he stealthy disables it so she thinks he only wanted to kill them. It's dumb and out of character and obviously just written to prolong the plot.

Yeah but Felip hadn’t done his little peekaboo

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bip Roberts posted:

The railgun shots were when Marco was chasing them and trying to kill them. The torpedo Bobby fired (which is one Holden was not willing to fire) was when Marco was dead in the water and not a threat. "He was willing to kill in self-defense, so obviously it's dumb and out of character not to murder the guy, plus Naomi's son, in cold blood" is a ridiculous take. Holden is pretty clearly the kind of person who wouldn't blow up Inaros if he had any other option and he even explained one of his reasons why, out loud, in this very episode. And another reason (Philip) was on the screen in that scene!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's like in an rpg where you brutally murder 50 minions and then the big bad actual hitler makes a speech and you let him live so you have to fight him again powered up in the next dungeon.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bip Roberts posted:

It's like in an rpg where you brutally murder 50 minions and then the big bad actual hitler makes a speech and you let him live so you have to fight him again powered up in the next dungeon.

that's literally actual real life politics tbh

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bip Roberts posted:

It's because Holden didn't want to kill Filip in front of Naomi *if he didn't have to* and you don't have to read the books to figure out they're probably gonna talk about this

I am not enjoying this season but this is a real dumb thing to get hung up on it's not out of character at all.

Also this episode drove home to me how senseless the Dawes killing offscreen is, they're basically having all the actors from previous seasons zoom in their parts (Anna, Prax) so I mean Jared Harris probably could have done that the way he did one of the other seasons

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
it was in the script

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I still can't get over Filip sliding into view. It's so awkward.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I loving laughed out loud when it happened. He's just like "bro, no mad plz?"

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
This is exactly what Holden would loving do.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Kesper North posted:

I loving laughed out loud when it happened. He's just like "bro, no mad plz?"

Right? I get that it needed to be overtly communicated that Filip was on the ship and that his presence caused a crisis for Holden and team but him leaning into frame was awkward as hell.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

I resent your implication that "dumb" is somehow out of character for Holden.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Holden's been much more hard hearted before in the series.

And yeah, the Filip slide into frame was just the most schlocky low imagination way of doing what they wanted to do.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Could have been so easily fixed by having Marco deliberately angle the camera so his son is in frame, as a piece of lovely emotional manipulation / gently caress you.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Could have been so easily fixed by having Marco deliberately angle the camera so his son is in frame, as a piece of lovely emotional manipulation / gently caress you.

This is exactly how it happens in the book btw. Holden calls Marco to distract him while Alex/Bobbie do the 360 no scope poo poo, and Marco switches his camera to Filip to gently caress with Holden. But they're so high G that no one is talking which doesn't translate well to screen. Holden is stuck staring into high g melty face teenage male Naomi's eyes as Alex/Bonnie do the torpedo/railgun/PDC trick on the Pella.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

He does?

Looking at the shot Marco is not centered in frame, Philip is exposed over his shoulder because of this. I thought that was one of the (numerous) reasons he lost his poo poo in the end. He was saved by the presence of his son.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

everydayfalls posted:

He does?

Looking at the shot Marco is not centered in frame, Philip is exposed over his shoulder because of this. I thought that was one of the (numerous) reasons he lost his poo poo in the end. He was saved by the presence of his son.

That’s how it read to me on-screen as well. After he did his “murder your mother” trick with Filip, he was pulling a trick that would either force them to spare his ship or mean that Naomi would have to live with seeing her son die. Hostage-taking plus a “gently caress you” into the bargain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

everydayfalls posted:

He does?

Ah, yeah. It's not that he moves the camera, it's that he himself moves -- I think what threw me is that Filip also slides into shot simultaneously, and I focused on him moving and not on Marco. I'd have blocked it slightly differently, but yeah, I think I have a better understanding of the intention of the scene now.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When is somebody going to die by hitting their head in Marco's fancy ship? The set is so dumb and there's only like one foot-wide impact strip on the railings

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Beltaosha?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I thought Filip coming into frame was fine.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

:lol:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

it was in the script

And the book, OMG BOOK SPOILERS OMG. Though it looks like you're a book reader so it'd be more helpful if you quote what you're responding to.

For the other guy, they're not being shot at actively and Naomi has repeatedly expressed reservation at killing even Marco's extemists. Itt's not at all out of character that he would think about not killing the son of the person he cares about more than anybody, even his 9 dads and moms.

It makes complete sense. James Holden has never made the best decisions. If he'd never sent that one message that led to "remember the Cant" there may well have never been a first war which led to millions dying and Deimos being blown up. But he's a human and his partner is right there and he chose to not let her watch her son die right in front of her, which I think makes complete sense.

Him sliding into view was stupid as gently caress though, and was purely for the benefit of people watching the show who aren't thinking about it enough to know that they both know Filip is on the ship. Especially the way they kept cutting back and forth between him and Holden and Naomi and him staring at the camera.

God this is a bad season. What a bad way to go out for a great show. I think Amazon is right to not trust them with the real Laconia arc for the $300 million it would cost.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 26, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Nail Rat posted:

God this is a bad season. What a bad way to go out for a great show. I think Amazon is right to not trust them with the real Laconia arc for the $300 million it would cost.

You maniacs! You blew it up!
God drat you! God drat you all to hell!!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the long scene of Camina kicking Michio off her ship last week only for them to spend all episode in the same room this week

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mameluke posted:

Lol at the long scene of Camina kicking Michio off her ship last week only for them to spend all episode in the same room this week

This is the kind of poo poo that makes you insane. You have NO TIME TO WASTE but we’ve had weepy Michio for like 20 minutes so far this season.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pirate Queen Drummer owns though. And I really like her tense alliance with the dodgy Golden Bough guy. Really nice look at the OPA situation and mindset.

Not the most important thing with 3 episodes left though,but I'm choosing to ignore that for ohhh, the next two episodes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Of course, Drummer is the best character. But I want to see her do poo poo!

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Mameluke posted:

I would be willing to wager next week you will get your wish!

Seems like as a broad outline we will see

Ep4 Marco is further undermined by drumer taking his poo poo from right under his nose

Ep5 Marco strikes back! His new proto molecule based ships messing up our hero’s plans

Ep6 Holden and co trench run that poo poo and the day is saved!

Is this totally wrong? Who knows! It a best guess based on the available evidence.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Mameluke posted:

Building a Pirate Armada takes time

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ApeHawk posted:

Building a Pirate Armada takes time

A Telltale series was a mistake. "Sid Meier's Expanse!" was the optimal play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

piL posted:

A Telltale series was a mistake. "Sid Meier's Expanse!" was the optimal play.

I would be so down for this.

I can taste the pixels.