Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, he did that when he was a cop too, to the point where other cops were like "yeah Dexter just walks out and comes back hours later to clock out before leaving again, we all notice but we don't care." Whenever there's not a congregation of rich rear end in a top hat kids in town, he probably just leaves a sign on his desk saying "gone leavin'" and people just walk in and take the guns they need and leave cash on the counter, because that's how small-town America works.

lmao just remembered "hey Jim, help yourself to as much ketamine as you want, it's unlocked, go nuts! k byeeee!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mr. Nemo posted:

"I know these woods like the palm of my hand, but I've never seen this cabin before"

Lady, do you not see the contradiction there? Someone reply to this post with the quote

Eh... it's different enough to be plausible. There are massive tracts of land, she can't be expected to know what all of it looks like. She's more saying "why is Kurt keeping this a secret" than she is saying "why have I never seen this."

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, he did that when he was a cop too, to the point where other cops were like "yeah Dexter just walks out and comes back hours later to clock out before leaving again, we all notice but we don't care." Whenever there's not a congregation of rich rear end in a top hat kids in town, he probably just leaves a sign on his desk saying "gone leavin'" and people just walk in and take the guns they need and leave cash on the counter, because that's how small-town America works.
When you do your job real well because you get quality results on time, you're on-call for crime scenes, and you're salaried w/o overtime, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a messy in-office schedule. That's why he could get away with being wherever he wanted as a cop. As for the gun store, it's a real stretch to say he hasn't been going to work when all we're watching is 1 hour of his life that can sometimes span over more than 1 day. Additionally, his location of work is run by him and one other person. As long as he knows where that other person is, he knows he can gently caress off, as that other person has been known to do. If he went missing and his job didn't notice, that'd be more of an oddity. Plus you can handwave any of this away with "it's the weekend." Nobody ever says what day of the week it is.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 21, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

roomtone posted:

i assume dexter was generally good with his money anyway and his job was probably well-paid.

Dexter was so well off that when he had a kid with Rita she didn't even notice financially that he hadn't sold his previous place.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Before going off to be a lumberjack Dexter put on a fake mustache to collect on his own life insurance policy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He also had the money from selling bio-dad's house in season one.

Dexter is flush, works to maintain his image of friendly, communal, etc.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dexter also doesn't like nice things apart from some clothes. Look at that big pile of ford he's driving this season, and the escape in the original series

itry
Aug 23, 2019

codo27 posted:

Dexter also doesn't like nice things apart from some clothes. Look at that big pile of ford he's driving this season, and the escape in the original series

Right. Dexter is boring af. The closest thing he has to a hobby, besides killing (or is that his vocation), is bowling. He doesn't drink, he doesn't party, he doesn't go on vacations. Dexter's frugal.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Almost mormon.

He does drink at the bar on occasion, just not to excess, but usually social norms for reasoning.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Brother of Menelaus!

nerox
May 20, 2001

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Almost mormon.

He does drink at the bar on occasion, just not to excess, but usually social norms for reasoning.

We learned this season that Jim loves an IPA.

Unlike Teddy, who has a thrill for the pils.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dexter’s drank beer consistently throughout the series, but never excessively and, as far as I can remember, always with other people in social situations. It’s possible that he doesn’t actually enjoy it, it’s just another behavior that he’s learned to imitate in order to look normal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

nerox posted:

We learned this season that Jim loves an IPA.

Unlike Teddy, who has a thrill for the pils.

Could see Amy falling for Dexter's meticulous nature. I sure wouldn't mind seeing more of her on TV

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

is amy the barmaid/teacher?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Amy Santiago was a character from Brooklyn Nine-Nine who previously dated Teddy, who had a love of pilsners.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This is an interesting development, Dexter finally being emotionally honest with Harrison will likely lead to them trying to deal with Kurt another way since Harrison knowing the truth will prevent him from doing the obvious, easy thing of going to the police with the information that Kurt tried to kill him. I wonder if Dexter will go entirely into what the code means. Though I'm guessing this probably leads to them leaving themselves open enough to be able to write Dexter New Blood S2: Road Trip

edit: also that scene of angela doing her google searches made me think "black suv 2", we know what she was investigating, we know she knows he's dexter, we know she's heard of the bay harbor butcher, they didn't really need to show us that. That said, the writers got a nice measure of good will from me for the ending of this episode because it felt like they were gonna go the "harrison must choose between kurt and dexter" path and having dexter stop making excuses and just tell him the truth while kurt is still out there. Genuinely interested to see how these next two play out.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 26, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Who buys a Christmas Tree on Christmas Eve?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Who buys a Christmas Tree on Christmas Eve?

Don't loving @ my life choices.

My dad taught me a code. A way to channel those urges. I'm going to tell you everything.

Yes, my long lost brother. That is right. Hmm? No I don't feel that it was contrived, what do you even mean by that?

Well you see son, a titty vampire-

You know, come to think of it I don't know what Chicky Hines even looked like.

My bad, I probably could have killed him earlier.

Lumen died on her way back to Ohio. I think. I never cared to follow up.

I remember more about my last dental procedure when I was on amnesiacs than I do about season 7.

Yeah, I poo poo you not. After my sister murdered her they unveiled the LaGuerta Memorial Bench. Funniest poo poo I ever saw. Anyways, I was trying to convince Deb to let me murder some more, so I went after this guy who dressed like a minotaur.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Are you a serial killer or are you just crowding the plate?

Also,
https://twitter.com/ProfAFinlayson/status/1442585993383645184?s=20

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Caros posted:

Don't loving @ my life choices.

My dad taught me a code. A way to channel those urges. I'm going to tell you everything.

Yes, my long lost brother. That is right. Hmm? No I don't feel that it was contrived, what do you even mean by that?

I remember more about my last dental procedure when I was on amnesiacs than I do about season 7.

Yeah, I poo poo you not. After my sister murdered her they unveiled the LaGuerta Memorial Bench. Funniest poo poo I ever saw. Anyways, I was trying to convince Deb to let me murder some more, so I went after this guy who dressed like a minotaur.

even if it's just an extended or deleted scene i want dexter to recap the entire series to an increasingly bored harrison

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

"ok dad when you said 'everything' you probably could have skipped the hour or so about brother sam"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

"ok dad when you said 'everything' you probably could have skipped the hour or so about brother sam"

"What the gently caress is a tableau?"

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know, I kinda poo poo talked Angela last week. But I gotta give her props

I know it was contrived as poo poo, but the fact that someone other than Doakes finally put two and two together was very satisfying.

.... is what I would be saying if they hadn't hosed it up. gently caress you New Blood. Dexter used Etorphine, M99, for his kills. They mentioned this repeatedly throughout the original series. Ketamine wouldn't bring up details on the BHB. Hell, Ketamine is such a recreational drug that when I search "Ketamine Saskatoon Police" I end up with a few dozen drug busts. Worst. Episode. Ever.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Angela chose a hell of a time to be somewhat competent.

Harrison is going to deal with Kurt with a baseball bat. Chekhov's bat, if you will. With guest appearance by Chekhov's nail.

Visions of Preacher's Hitler running through the street after escaping from hell like a cartoon character from that ending.

Caros posted:

R. Guyovich posted:

even if it's just an extended or deleted scene i want dexter to recap the entire series to an increasingly bored harrison
Yes please

Caros posted:

I know it was contrived as poo poo, but the fact that someone other than Doakes finally put two and two together was very satisfying.

.... is what I would be saying if they hadn't hosed it up. gently caress you New Blood. Dexter used Etorphine, M99, for his kills. They mentioned this repeatedly throughout the original series. Ketamine wouldn't bring up details on the BHB. Hell, Ketamine is such a recreational drug that when I search "Ketamine Saskatoon Police" I end up with a few dozen drug busts. Worst. Episode. Ever.

Well, drat. Show's ruined.

Edit:Also I hope Dexter isn't just going to teach his son "the code" now despite all the self reflection that was going on this season, and that it's just framing for story time.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 26, 2021

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Dexter teaching Harrison the code after ghost Deb acknowledged it as child abuse would be such a bad turn, so I hard agree there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao at Angela

Investigating the missing girls, literally the reason she became a cop: I put up some photos, that oughta do it. Hell, I even went to a conference once and have some notes about patterns or whatever, that’s good coppin’

Iris’ murderer walks off on a technicality: ehh, whaddya gonna do? I tried.

Hearing your boyfriend punched a dude: Christmas is canceled, I will not rest until I have interviewed every witness and combed through all the evidence

This is the Dexter I know and love

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nep-Nep posted:

Dexter teaching Harrison the code after ghost Deb acknowledged it as child abuse would be such a bad turn, so I hard agree there.

I don't follow this. Dexter's a bad guy, I kinda expect him to be a terrible parent.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i did laugh at Dexter figuring out he could backtrack in the snow as if it were some big revelation. he's really not a great assassin

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CODChimera posted:

i did laugh at Dexter figuring out he could backtrack in the snow as if it were some big revelation. he's really not a great assassin

To be fair, he's a Miami Assassin. Not a lot of snow.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nep-Nep posted:

Dexter is clearly conflicted and either conclusion could be a good ending depending on how it's developed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Caros posted:

Thank you I was like what the gently caress.

Also everything in this episode about Harrison and Kurt's relationship was really dumb.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't follow this. Dexter's a bad guy, I kinda expect him to be a terrible parent.

He is a terrible parent. But the entire season showed that he doesn't actually want the same life for Harrison.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

christ that episode stank. kurt scuttling away into the snow while dexter and harrison had an emotional reunion was funny.

next week looks like fun. it's time to see dexter and harrison working together to kill this giant marshmallow man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"ffffffffuuuuck..."

That episode was really boring. Though the last scene was good.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmao at Angela

Investigating the missing girls, literally the reason she became a cop: I put up some photos, that oughta do it. Hell, I even went to a conference once and have some notes about patterns or whatever, that’s good coppin’

Iris’ murderer walks off on a technicality: ehh, whaddya gonna do? I tried.

Hearing your boyfriend punched a dude: Christmas is canceled, I will not rest until I have interviewed every witness and combed through all the evidence

This is the Dexter I know and love

:same:

Caros
May 14, 2008

roomtone posted:

christ that episode stank. kurt scuttling away into the snow while dexter and harrison had an emotional reunion was funny.

next week looks like fun. it's time to see dexter and harrison working together to kill this giant marshmallow man.

That scene needed zoidberg noises.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL

kurt is gonna call CPS on dexter for those bruises and they're going to ship him back off to argentina. baseball? a likely story

Quotey fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 26, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The minute I finish the finale I'm cancelling showtime.

Looking forward to subscribing for a month again in about a decade when they start running Harrison: Dexter's Legacy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think the drug retcon wasn't really needed at all. I think you can just leave it at "the Bay Harbor victims had evidence of small puncture wounds on their necks, indicating they'd been injected with something" and that's enough to get the story to basically where it is now anyway, and gives more credit to the intelligence of the character doing the investigating if they connect those dots.

Besides I'm no expert in this, but I'd think that it'd be hard to do any kind of tox screen on bodies that have been chopped up and submerged for a long period of time. I guess that's your out if you want to make it all line up with show canon: the cops just assume it's Ketamine because the got a tiny flag for that from testing one or two of the fresher bodies, and that time spent underwater meant that the chemical testing was way off.

Quotey posted:

YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL

kurt is gonna call CPS on dexter for those bruises and they're going to ship him back off to argentina. baseball? a likely story

I wouldn't be surprised at all if those bruises lead to some kind of misunderstanding trouble, though I think it'll more likely involve someone seeing Harrison with his shirt off and drawing the wrong conclusion.

I've got my hopes up that they're gonna stick the landing on the ending here, though I am expecting them to leave things at a place where they can keep popping in on Dexter for event series stuff every couple of years.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't mean that it wouldn't make sense or anything just I personally don't want to see it happen.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Was really hoping for a circling of ketamine ala black suv. Also we are getting dangerously close to the end of the season without a “surprise mother fucker.” I was sure Dex would have done it to his kidnapper in the cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've got news for you.

The night is mine.