Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I'm trying to remember a game from the 90s or early 00s, console, probably an RPG, that had Kraken mis-translated as either "Clarken" or "Klarken".

Secret of the Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Holy crap good job!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nice. I knew that was Japanese I sawed in that blurry photo.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

al-azad posted:

Reminds me of the intro to Blood Omen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO2m38uayYE

I think this must be it, the date lines up and the colour of the sky and the landscape and the jerky way the people are moving seems familiar. Thanks for putting to rest a 25-year-old WTF.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Speaking of Castlevania: PC, late 90s or early 2000s, some kind of homebrew/indie Castlevania clone. Possibly in Japanese or poorly translated into English; main character was just some woman with a whip, I think, it was very clearly a direct Castlevania clone, somewhere vaguely in the Rondo of Blood space moreso than Symphony of the Night in terms of gameplay, but the graphics were along the same style lines. I remember the version I played was unfinished so it might not be a commercial release at all. Early on there was a scene that was basically the Behemoth chase from Rondo of Blood.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Castlevania: Resurrection? This was in development for Dreamcast but was ultimately cancelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrmjHEdaHiA

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Nay, too many dimensions. This was a 2D game, might have been for DOS even. I think it was 640x480, which was some high-res cool poo poo at the time. It also definitely wasn't actually a Castlevania title, it just desperately wished it was.

It's also not Rusty for PC-98, by the way.

EDIT: Somehow I found it myself: It was just called "Vampire" by someone called "Sprite", which I imagine did not make it any easier to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn1-NKEmyzY

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 21, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

that looks miserable to play but surprisingly good visually.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

that looks miserable to play but surprisingly good visually.

It looks like Castlevania as an arcade game but not as bad as Haunted Castle. But not as good as Castlevania on console.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
That's definitely using assets/features from SC4/Bloodlines

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm more annoyed by how terribly that person is playing. DUCK you idiot

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
And the part where they fall under the water kinda looks like the intro pool from Another World.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I'm trying to remember this game but I don't have much to go on. Its a top down, pixel art style game. I think I remember hacking being part of the gameplay. It might be action rpg-ish.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Lysandus posted:

I'm trying to remember this game but I don't have much to go on. Its a top down, pixel art style game. I think I remember hacking being part of the gameplay. It might be action rpg-ish.

It's not pixel art, but matches everything else. Maybe Hack and Slash?

Another potential match could be Transistor. Doesn't have hacking mechanics, but you can pause battles and enter commands that look like functions -- Turn(), Spark(), etc.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 27, 2021

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Lysandus posted:

Not sure either quite fit your description but Heat Signature and Crosscode come to mind.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Maybe Streets of Rogue?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Chinook posted:

Maybe Streets of Rogue?

That's it! Thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was linked here from yospos:

Sagebrush posted:

also this is going to sound like some kind of insane hallucination, but there was a game i played maybe ca. 1995 when our school got a bunch of new compaqs, so it was probably a win3.1/95 game. the only part of it i remember is you had to take part in a french fry competition and make decisions about how to best cook the fries. two of the decisions were whether to cut out the green spots on the potatoes or not (or maybe throw them out), and whether to keep the fries warm before judging by using heat lamps or by covering them with paper towels. i have no memory of what the context was, or any other part of the game, though i have the odd sense that detectives and crime were involved somehow, but i might just be mentally mashing it up with carmen sandiego or something. i remember this game about twice a year and have never figured out what it was.

what the hell was it?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I remember two game demos for PC. The first, you play as a fish in the sea and level up to other fish, and try not to get eaten. The second, you play as a cartoon dog, and by the end of the demo you become invincible for some reason. Both were mid-1990s. Wish I could remember more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The first, you play as a fish in the sea and level up to other fish, and try not to get eaten.

Odell Down Under

al-azad
May 28, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I remember two game demos for PC. The first, you play as a fish in the sea and level up to other fish, and try not to get eaten. The second, you play as a cartoon dog, and by the end of the demo you become invincible for some reason. Both were mid-1990s. Wish I could remember more.

Odell Down Under and likely Troggle Trouble Math.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Holy poo poo lmao, correct on both counts with basically no info. Goons!!!!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sagebrush posted:

i was linked here from yospos:

I can't figure it out, but you're not alone -
https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoystick/comments/aj2fiw/pcmid_90sfrench_fry_competition_edugame/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, that's exactly where I am, right down to playing it in a computer lab at a school in Ontario in the mid 90s. I vaguely remembered that there was a town element to it as well, and I guess the crime/detective part I was remembering is where you go around asking everyone in town how to make the best fries.

What the gently caress was it, though? It must have been some CanCon game they built especially for the Ministry of Education.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looking for an extremely weird open world sex(?) game that made a splash on Steam this year. The player takes over a resort which is inhabited by three anime women. Inexplicably, the trailers demonstrate extremely janky driving and firing a gun. Also you can take lurk and take creepy pictures of the women inhabiting the resort.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TOGETHER BnB

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looking for an extremely weird open world sex(?) game that made a splash on Steam this year. The player takes over a resort which is inhabited by three anime women. Inexplicably, the trailers demonstrate extremely janky driving and firing a gun. Also you can take lurk and take creepy pictures of the women inhabiting the resort.

Do you need an intervention?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

New year's tradition of playing extremely terrible games with SO and friends. I vetoed giving the super seducer guy more money.

Thank you!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I suddenly wanted to play this game from my early teens. I got it for free in some magazine around 2003-04. It was a 2D top down shooter where you played an armoured spacemarine fending off waves of aliens. I also remember the menus had a cool news ticker that spouted propaganda about the war. It also had a kickass metal soundtrack. I remember it being hard as nails. One of the levels had you defending a wall with big guns you could use, but they had limited ammo. The aliens would gnaw through the wall to get to you.

It was very similar to crimsonland.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 3, 2022

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Phobia II? Alien Swarm?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

GyverMac posted:

I suddenly wanted to play this game from my early teens. I got it for free in some magazine around 2003-04. It was a 2D top down shooter where you played an armoured spacemarine fending off waves of aliens. I also remember the menus had a cool news ticker that spouted propaganda about the war. It also had a kickass metal soundtrack. I remember it being hard as nails. One of the levels had you defending a wall with big guns you could use, but they had limited ammo. The aliens would gnaw through the wall to get to you.

It was very similar to crimsonland.

Phobia III: Edge of Humanity?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I was thinking that Phobia III was about 10 years newer than it actually is, but that basically has to be it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YES! thank you! I actually remembered that the company was called red lynx and tried googling their portfolio but it was not shown on their wiki page.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 4, 2022

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Looking for a relatively early PS1 game. Isometric shooter, maybe something along the lines of Alien Syndrome. Sci-fi setting, choice of 4 characters (maybe one was a robot?), mazelike levels, lots of ammo collection / finding keys / finding health pickups. Like a cross between Gauntlet and Doom, fighting aliens.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Project Overkill

Funktor
May 17, 2009

That must be it. I know I beat that game at some point in my life. So totally forgettable.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Could also be Loaded.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EDF! EDF!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am trying to remember a game from the Mega Drive (or possibly Super Nintendo?). Top down or isometric perspective, you could choose from multiple characters, like a sword dude, bow dude or chain dude. Possibly others. There were weapon upgrades and you mostly explored stages and killed bad dudes. I think one of the early levels had platforms over water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Digital Flower posted:

Could also be Loaded.

Nah, I know I never played Loaded (although I did play Re-Loaded a bit). But I'm pretty sure Project Overkill was it.