Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The “tighten carapace” active skill is pretty niche, but the real point of taking carapace is just that it’s really good armor - if you keep it leveled as much as you can it’ll be stronger than any other armor you can find at every point in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, tightening your carapace isn't usually super useful, but the passive AV and resistances are quite good (scaling to "extremely good" at high mutation levels). Carapace is like built-in plate armour, only much better because the DV penalty dwindles into irrelevance with mutation point investment.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Not sure if it really fits in here or not but I'm really enjoying Wildermyth. It's just so charming

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How is Wayward Souls? Looks pretty good but I bounced hard off Heroes of Hammerwatch for being wayyy to samey and grindy.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Rather solid little update for Caverns of Xaskazien II after the past year of chaos:

https://virtua-sinner.itch.io/caverns-of-xaskazien-ii/devlog/328233/cox-2-ver-10084-release

There's something oddly uncanny about his Saturnians project soon to come in a good, campy way---definitely coming from a different place entirely than Monolith and the like.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wayward Souls is a somewhat fun but ultimately shallow mobile game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

megane posted:

ScourgeBringer [...] Strongly reminiscent of Monolith

you have my undivided attention

(e) ok yeah this game whips even more than Cryptark

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 25, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

e: nm

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 25, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chaotic Flame posted:

Not sure if it really fits in here or not but I'm really enjoying Wildermyth. It's just so charming

I enjoyed it a lot. Not a ton of staying power but very enjoyable until that point

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Played some Dungeonmans for a change. I got some orb of immeasurable power, which granted me this skill:

It gives me 48 loyal-to-death Ninjas which fight for me? Is there uh some limit on how many times I can use that? Anyone seen it before? :D Sounds quite OP.

Edit: apparently not. And they are even champions, so they kick everyone's rear end. Cool.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 25, 2021

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ihmemies posted:

Played some Dungeonmans for a change. I got some orb of immeasurable power, which granted me this skill:

It gives me 48 loyal-to-death Ninjas which fight for me? Is there uh some limit on how many times I can use that? Anyone seen it before? :D Sounds quite OP.

Well, it's not as powerful as you're making it sound, see

It's only 47 ninjas, because you're in the center of the summoning area

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

John Lee posted:

someone needs to go back to maffs class

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

John Lee posted:

7*7 is 49 -1 = 48 so yeah :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

John Lee posted:

lmao

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Captain Foo posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. Not a ton of staying power but very enjoyable until that point

I've been playing it with my friend co-op and it has more staying power than I thought it would, since the characters can play in multiple campaigns and end up developing distinct skill sets and personal histories.

We are on the 4th campaign I think, with one more after it. I'm not sure how interesting the random campaigns would be, but curious to see after we finish the 5th one.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i guess i beat luck be a landlord...?

not sure if you can make a higher scoring set of symbols than that. maybe more suns would be better

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

someone needs to go back to maffs class

Ihmemies posted:

7*7 is 49 -1 = 48 so yeah :v:

uh

haha all of you fell for it, I the master manipulator fooled you all into believing I made an arithmetic error, how does it feel knowing you are nothing but a puppet on a string

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My husband bought me Loop Hero for Christmas, so I sat down to try it out. When the game crashed because I put two villages next to each other, I looked up to discover that three hours had passed :stare:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya it's got an incredible feel to it. The faux limited palette look and the energetic but moody music.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I have always been of the opinion that metaprogression is a tool, and it can be used for good and it can be used for evil, but the tool itself is not evil. And then I played Ruin Raiders.

Ruin Raiders is a tactical small squad dungeon crawling roguelike. You control a three person squad, which gets one attempt to delve into a multi-level ruin. Once they succeed or die, you choose a new squad and try again, after spending currency earned during the run on upgrades for your base or equipment for your next run. Combat is like the new X-Coms, nothing really innovative. But lets count out the metaprogression sins:

1. You are on your first run, and find a cool weapon, like a missile launcher. It is a blue weapon, unlike the pistols you start with. Want to equip that to your rhino? gently caress you, you can't equip blue weapons until you upgrade your base.
2. You are on your second run, and you got deep enough to level your characters up. Want to level them up again? gently caress you, you can't level past two until you upgrade your base.
3. You also can't use blue items you find like grenades or healing items until you, you guessed it, level up your base.
4. Shops you run into during the run? They use metaprogression currency.
5. Hard limit on the amount of currency you carry forward. If you don't spend it on your base or on starting equipment it disappears, up to a maximum amount set by, again, upgrading your base.

The actual gameplay is just X-Com-lite, but your characters disappear after each run so none of the story telling or connection with your mans outside the one single run. Encounters also take place in boring little square rooms with random assortments of enemies. One room might be two broken healbots in a massive room, the next room will be half a dozen armored droids in an oversized elevator. There are some incredibly simplistic puzzles to unlock healing rooms (your character's current health carries forward, but they will get up from being knocked down with 1 hp as long as the team isn't wiped - my first two runs were carried by a high armor rhino and two other characters dying in the first round or two.) All of this took me 2.3 hours to figure out, too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LOL I've put several hours into Cryptark but that's the first time I've locked myself into a room with no way out. Locked gate to get to the Door System. Used my last key to get into there and destroy the Door System. The Failsafe then took over and I was forced to abandon the run.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
That is really the only problem with Cryptark: the game does not gently caress around. You gotta be on point and really plan out how you're going tackle a ark including when and where to jump out in to space to get around a obstacle.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

megane posted:

Picked up ScourgeBringer in the Steam sale and it’s pretty good. Strongly reminiscent of Monolith...

I've got to try this out too, Monolith remains my GOAT (finally looped last month, but I should really get back into it)

SKULL.GIF posted:

LOL I've put several hours into Cryptark but that's the first time I've locked myself into a room with no way out. Locked gate to get to the Door System. Used my last key to get into there and destroy the Door System. The Failsafe then took over and I was forced to abandon the run.

Cryptark has just incredible escalation of their procedurally generated systems. When you get to ships with Two Failsafes, multiple repair systems, then shielding systems and shuffle systems on top of that. It's such a good feeling to figure out just how to take those apart

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Picked up Rift Wizard. Not sure if I'm going to like it, might be too stripped down and focused for my tastes.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Got Crown Trick because it was too cheap not to.

Just played a couple hours, but I have a random bunch of thoughts.

Dungeons are pretty dull, just corridors connecting a series of square-ish rooms. Only in the initial part of the game so this might change, but I doubt it. Also, no corridor hijinks because the rooms with enemies in them lock you in.

They give you a refreshable blink, inherent to your character. I guess the idea is that if you break enemies (just a sort of stun threshold mechanic), and do so with a number of them simultaneously, you can refresh the blink. I really don’t know how I feel about this, because it turns your encounters more into puzzles than fights.

Adding further to that puzzle feeling is that even though this is a tiled, turn-based RL akin to Dungeonmans, Crawl, etc, the enemies seem to have pre-defined idle behavior, instead of gunning right for the player. So sometimes you’ll see them and have to wait a few turns for the optimal moment to blink and setup your multibreak, in order to refresh your blink and do it again later? Wile it’s nice to execute a winning set of blinks and attacks, I could see this getting stale, especially since I bet the arenas themselves aren’t procedural, just prefabs that are laid at appropriate points in the mazes.

Some of the weapons seem neat. I think they’re also prefab, since I have seen repeats. Not sure though. Anyway, of the what, four or five types I’ve run into, they all seem to have a sort of gimmick attached. Like, restore some MP for every fifth attack, etc. etc. That is in addition to the gimmick of the weapon class. Axes arc in front of you, spears attack out two tiles, rifles pierce but need to be reloaded, so on. But on top of the base way the weapon acts, seems every single one has an additional, mechanical incentive to play it a certain way. Think like a Diablo Legendary or a Hades boon, a definite setup pointing out where to lean to make them work. The problem is, you get so many so often, that it’s hard to stick with one. As far as I can tell there’s no incentive to stick with one particular weapon unless your items and skills really work well together to enhance it.

It’s got a cute presentation, music is interesting, environments are dull, but until Jupiter Hell came out, I’d say it was probably the highest production value tile-based RL there was. It and Shiren, more or less.

I dunno. It’s a cool game. I’m having fun with it, but I’m sure there’s some flawed design in here. Still, definitely worth the like $5 I paid for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol I just accidentally bought a steam key for Scourgebringer and then realized I'd already bought it forever ago and never played it. Merry Christmas to whoever gets it: QLQF4-KHGFJ-GWC9B

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

goferchan posted:

Lol I just accidentally bought a steam key for Scourgebringer and then realized I'd already bought it forever ago and never played it. Merry Christmas to whoever gets it: QLQF4-KHGFJ-GWC9B

Finally, an advantage to being up at 3am! Merry Christmas!

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Kind of interested in conquest of Elysium 5, but not sure if I really want to put down $32. Anyone want to sell me on 4 or 5?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I bought Rogue Legacy 2 on the EGS sale (it was cheap!, 6€)

It's like Rogue Legacy 1 (although I never played a lot of it), but... a better game.
-It has a bit more differentiated classes
-It's bigger in content, with more classes, more biomes, rooms and more relics. But they have put some features borrowed from the competitions like:
-mini bosses with random traits like in Dead Cells
-more metroidvania progression with permanent upgrades that open new paths, like Dead Cells.
-skill crits for some weapons, like a brow that does crit damage when releasing the arrow just in time, like Dead Cells.
-more dialogue and little storylines in the hub with a reward, like Hades.
-the new game+ had a custom difficulty features, like Hades.

-The game is more accessible, with a 'cheat' menu where you can tweak the player and enemy damage and some other features. To be honest, I bought it because of this, because my idea is to alleviate the grind by making the game easier at first.
-Speaking of grind, yeah there is a TON of metaprogression, not gonna lie.
-And speaking of difficulty the game is HARD. I'm comparing it here with the 'baseline' of roguelites here, the most popular ones, Hades and Dead Cells. Even lowering the difficulty with the cheat menu still doesn't make it a cake walk. Part of it is that I still only have 2 hours of metaprogression, yeah, but it seems to me the game is designed to be hard, that's it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Someone mentioned a Zombie roguelike where the runs are timed because the characters have a disease or something, and clearing an area actually clears it for future runs. Anyone remembers the name? It seemed interesting

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Someone mentioned a Zombie roguelike where the runs are timed because the characters have a disease or something, and clearing an area actually clears it for future runs. Anyone remembers the name? It seemed interesting

Errr Dead Rising 2?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Fat Samurai posted:

The Last Stand: Aftermath?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cleared the Cryptark campaign. I really liked the game but I can't see myself coming back to it over and over like with Slay the Spire or Rift Wizard or Caves of Qud etc. I'll probably get all the artifacts and try to get a Rogue Mode clear and then put it aside.

Most of the depth to it is the difficulty curve and becoming good enough to actually beat it -- but once you beat it, subsequent playthrough seems to be mostly running for high scores and time attack, or trying out the other suits. (The leaderboards are, predictably, ruined.) The complexity of the ship systems interacting with each other seems to reach a self-imposed limit; unless I've missed something you never get to see anything more complicated than "shields/alarms covers another node, not just the core", "shuffle roulette!", or "there are so loving many factories holy poo poo." This is disappointing because even in my 8 hours on the game I was already thinking of horrible systems combinations that would've been fun to wrestle with. For example I would've liked to see a very dense, small ship with a lot of systems next to each other that would need to be carefully disentangled because just going in guns blazing would get you smeared in a moment. These extra-large, spread-out ships take up a lot of time but are relatively easy to dissect because everything's so spread out.

There's some optimization issues with the game that crop up in the actual Cryptark itself, navigating the map to see what systems to attack next is very chuggy. It's also disappointing that it seems to be capped at 60 fps. The game has a couple conspicuously rough/unfinished spots -- for example, one of the weapons has a two-word description where it seems clear they meant to give it a fuller description but never bothered to go back and finish.

For my actual winning run, I had a very expensive loadout with the Vulcan Laser and Nuke Rocket to go alongside my default Gauntlet and Proximity Mines. I barely needed items but the Sensor Suite was very helpful for clearing the Cryptark within the time limit. Systems and juggernauts got nuked, spikedogs got the FIST, and anything in between got either the laser or the mines depending on distance. Once I took out the dual Repair Systems (which itself took about 8 minutes) it was a 10-minute process of slowly dismantling every system node for the artifact before going to take out the Crypt's core.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 26, 2021

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
IVAN 0.59 after a fair while now: https://github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v059

quote:

Changes:

Crafting Skill
Item light emitation based on volume
Custom key bindings
String question history
Sumo house fix when player gets stuck
Optional whizz-bang changing menu background
Various bugs fixed
New, unknown bugs
Something about a new world map generator
Built on Azure (lol in your face m$!!!1!)
And much more..

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i have to wonder what counts as a bug in ivan. "i wore human legs on my human body and they functioned normally"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cryptark does suffer from lack of replayability once you finish it, as the suits & weapons all have similar playstyles. Which is fine, not all titles are evergreen, even traditional RLs get old after a while.

I will say that the game is noticeably easier in release than it was in beta, with the final level being much smaller & earlier than it used to be. So the skill floor needed to actually win is a bit lower, which is fine as it's a video game and not a dick-waving contest.

Still a good game and I'm glad its getting some love again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What gets me about it is that I really wish they'd added some sort of challenge mode so to try out crazy combinations of systems, or even pushed the envelope just a tiny tad more with rare Systems that would really mix up your run. Just on the way home from work tonight I'd already come up with a few: Sound Amplifier, triples your sound distance; Quantum Scrambler, occasionally inverts/scrambles inputs for a short duration; Swarm Intelligence, enables drones to connect persistent damaging electricity beams to nearby drones.

There's a ton of potential here given how solid the base gameplay was, they just needed to take one more step with the gameplay/mechanic interactions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

That was it, thanks

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arivia posted:

i have to wonder what counts as a bug in ivan. "i wore human legs on my human body and they functioned normally"
Bug report: died in the game, didn't die in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Arivia posted:

No, IVAN bugs are stuff like "due to an oversight in a banned materials table, it is possible to turn an enormous treasure chest into pure magical earwax and eat so much of it that you become infinitely wise and intelligent but also permanently overfed to the point of nausea, physically wasted due to all the vomiting, and slightly evil also due to all the vomiting." Just earwax barf yourself into Emperor Palpatine

e: they patched that one out a long time ago though, sadly