Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That one particular scene was pretty bad, yeah, but I still like the overall mood of her just being annoyed that everyone wants to bother her. Also she has zero romantic interest in anyone and explicitly says so, which imo is a billion times better than her heart thumping when a man catches her or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nalin posted:

It's an extremely common issue with lots of the "reborn many times" stories. The Villainess Wants to Enjoy a Carefree Married Life in a Former Enemy Country in Her Seventh Loop! is the best I've seen so far.

I enjoy that she's surrounded by, and seeks to re-establish connections with very capable people. As opposed to something like 'The lady and the Beast' where the MC is just better than everyone at everything and nobody can really match wits with her, Rishe actually has to contend with and impress key individuals from her previous loops since they are all good at their jobs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Nalin posted:

It's an extremely common issue with lots of the "reborn many times" stories. The Villainess Wants to Enjoy a Carefree Married Life in a Former Enemy Country in Her Seventh Loop! is the best I've seen so far.

I like this one better than the other one, but I could swear I've read not only this but beyond this before. Wasn't it further along than this a year ago? All the sites I can find say that ch 11 was uploaded last month, but I'm sure that as early as a year ago I'd read at least up to the next chapter where she develops some kind of plague cure. And I know I wasn't reading the raws of this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an adaptation of a wn, so you probably read that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Speaking of web novels, my Barnes and Noble recently got over a hundred copies of some Chinese web novels. They’ve been selling pretty well. It’s the first book for three different series, all fantasy and at least one of them is BL. I can’t remember their names right now but I work tomorrow so I’ll post them then

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Speaking of web novels, my Barnes and Noble recently got over a hundred copies of some Chinese web novels. They’ve been selling pretty well. It’s the first book for three different series, all fantasy and at least one of them is BL. I can’t remember their names right now but I work tomorrow so I’ll post them then

These would be the novels by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (aka MXTX) - they're all danmei, or BL, and they are all worth a look, at least! I especially enjoyed Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu), but The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation (Mo Dao Zu Shi) is also really popular - the TV series The Untamed is based off it, although they removed all the explicit flirting and pining :( Her first work actually fits in this thread - it's an isekai danmei called The Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System (Ren Zha Fanpai Zijiu Xitong). If you can't tell, I really love all her works - this is the first time they've gotten an official English translation iirc, so I'm really excited :)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Argue posted:

I like this one better than the other one, but I could swear I've read not only this but beyond this before. Wasn't it further along than this a year ago? All the sites I can find say that ch 11 was uploaded last month, but I'm sure that as early as a year ago I'd read at least up to the next chapter where she develops some kind of plague cure. And I know I wasn't reading the raws of this.

Could you be thinking of For Certain Reasons, the Villainess Noble Lady Will Live Her Post-Engagement Annulment Life Freely?

She was a nurse, so she moves to a different country and creates a clinic. One of the princes who pretends to be a playboy follows her.

EDIT: Maybe you were reading the official translation? It looks like the series is being dropped because it got licensed.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Nalin posted:

EDIT: Maybe you were reading the official translation? It looks like the series is being dropped because it got licensed.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

No, the official translation licensing will get the first volume in sept 2022, so it'll likely be 2023-24 before the official volumes catch up to the current state of unofficial translation.
As is all too often the annoying song and dance: You start reading something, 'hey this got licensed!', and then you have to wait for a year++ for the official translation to catch up (if it's good at all / on an accessible platform.)

I imagine what happened with Argue is that they either just misremembered, or has read so many isekais that they basically have gotten isekai-premonition-powers, and can see the most probable futures as they develop while reading.
Honestly, so many of these are so similar and hit so many similar beats that it's easy to mix them up and misremember which protagonists did what.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SubNat posted:

As is all too often the annoying song and dance: You start reading something, 'hey this got licensed!', and then you have to wait for a year++ for the official translation to catch up (if it's good at all / on an accessible platform.)

with the volume that the webtoon ones get licensed it's not even worth dealing with this anymore, imo, since there's a good chance it *will* end up on some platform with an official release at some point. and if it doesn't, eh there's probably a dozen others with a similar storyline to pick from. Even most of the manga adaptions I was following have been licensed at this point so I've quit picking up new ones.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jayme posted:

These would be the novels by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (aka MXTX) - they're all danmei, or BL, and they are all worth a look, at least! I especially enjoyed Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu), but The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation (Mo Dao Zu Shi) is also really popular - the TV series The Untamed is based off it, although they removed all the explicit flirting and pining :( Her first work actually fits in this thread - it's an isekai danmei called The Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System (Ren Zha Fanpai Zijiu Xitong). If you can't tell, I really love all her works - this is the first time they've gotten an official English translation iirc, so I'm really excited :)

Yeah those ones! We’re nearly sold out of Scum Villain’s

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Can't recall which Isekai thread it went in, but I think it went in this one.

Another chapter of Yakuza Reincarnation

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah those ones! We’re nearly sold out of Scum Villain’s

are people buying it more or was the stock lower? All 3 made the NYT bestseller list but Scum Villain was like 14 while the other two were in the top 10 so it didn't seem to be *quite* as popular.

All of them got adaptions but the Scum Villain one was cgi and made with a budget of approximately $2.50 and had a really weird, abrupt ending that didn't even get to all the scenes hinted at in the opening animation, whereas MDZS and Heaven Official had really nice animation and were a lot more accessible to watch as well (on top of the live action show), so it's not terribly surprising that they would be the hotter novels if people are more familiar with them from the shows.

e: I haven't started reading them yet but I think I'm going to start w/Scum Villain because the donghua was really lackluster and imo didn't represent the story and characters that well, like I didn't really care about them much while I was watching it and wasn't that invested, and I felt like that was more the fault of the adaption than the story itself.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 29, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Can't recall which Isekai thread it went in, but I think it went in this one.

Another chapter of Yakuza Reincarnation

Honestly it deserves to go into every isekai thread.
God, there's going to be a reckoning in the next couple of chapters. :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nalin posted:

I like this one, but I dock points off of this for doing that cliche where the lady MC does the Extremely Profitable Business Venture of "creates cosmetics".

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Why is it that so many webtoons get licensed, whereas it’s much rarer to see printed manga get official translations? Is it that it’s easier to change the text of digital comics? Or maybe the existing pipeline is healthy enough that even translating cheaper stuff is practical? Or do these apps all have VC money behind them? Or is it just easier to translate Korean to English than it is to translate Japanese?

I suppose it’s probably a mixture of all of these. Well, except for the last one, which doesn’t seem likely to be true.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Everything Burrito posted:

are people buying it more or was the stock lower? All 3 made the NYT bestseller list but Scum Villain was like 14 while the other two were in the top 10 so it didn't seem to be *quite* as popular.

All of them got adaptions but the Scum Villain one was cgi and made with a budget of approximately $2.50 and had a really weird, abrupt ending that didn't even get to all the scenes hinted at in the opening animation, whereas MDZS and Heaven Official had really nice animation and were a lot more accessible to watch as well (on top of the live action show), so it's not terribly surprising that they would be the hotter novels if people are more familiar with them from the shows.

e: I haven't started reading them yet but I think I'm going to start w/Scum Villain because the donghua was really lackluster and imo didn't represent the story and characters that well, like I didn't really care about them much while I was watching it and wasn't that invested, and I felt like that was more the fault of the adaption than the story itself.

Probably got a smaller stock of it. I didn’t check what out best sellers this week were, we were way too busy to get a chance to do that.

The top seller list is interesting because there’s a handful of books that rotate the top spot. It’s more often “which of these titles could we get in stock” than “which of these titles is the most popular” (for example, the YA book They Both Die At The End is probably going to have more sales this week than Chainsawman volume 1. This isn’t because it’s necessarily more popular, but because we literally sold out of every volume of Chainsawman we had last week)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

nrook posted:

Why is it that so many webtoons get licensed, whereas it’s much rarer to see printed manga get official translations? Is it that it’s easier to change the text of digital comics? Or maybe the existing pipeline is healthy enough that even translating cheaper stuff is practical? Or do these apps all have VC money behind them? Or is it just easier to translate Korean to English than it is to translate Japanese?

I suppose it’s probably a mixture of all of these. Well, except for the last one, which doesn’t seem likely to be true.

I would suspect that a lot of the English platforms being owned in part or entirely by Korean publishing companies also has a role in it. Webtoon is Naver; Lezhin is well, Lezhin; Ridi owns Manta; Kakao bought Tapas; Copin opened their own English site, etc. Contents First owns Tappytoon but iirc Naver or somebody bought a chunk of that company recently. So there's kind of a natural pipeline for KR > ENG content where companies can just translate their own poo poo in-house.

You're starting to see some of that develop with manga too but I think that will also remain primarily digital, because print publishing is a lot riskier and more costly.

This is all just based on what I've seen posted publicly like on industry twitter pages & stuff I've looked up just as a reader so I don't have any real in-depth insight or anything though.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 29, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is barely a physical comic market in korea, anyway. it's almost all webtoons and has been for years.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It doesn't help that a lot of Japanese companies are really only interested in the domestic market. They also like to inflict really arbitrary restrictions or force licensers to license a whole bunch of works at once which they aren't really interested in (at least that is what they do for anime, I'm not 100% sure the situation is that common for manga).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are Manhwa normally a team effort? I just noticed that hey, literally all of these things are colored on top of things. I know little about how manga is made and even less about Manhwas so I'm just guessing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Manga at least when starting out is generally a writer\artist solo. Some have a dedicated writer and separate artist. They're black and white so no colorist. Bigger manga starts to get things like production assistants, who usually help with things like inking or drawing backgrounds. Blue Period has the help of freelance friends of the main artist\writer provide all the art that gets created so they don't have to find\come up with a bunch of art themselves.

manhwa is all digital so I imagine it starts with things like the artist is doing all the coloring themselves but bigger comics will get assistants to help with it like tower of god

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jerkface posted:

manhwa is all digital so I imagine it starts with things like the artist is doing all the coloring themselves but bigger comics will get assistants to help with it like tower of god

Use of off-the-shelf 3D assets for backgrounds is also much more normalized in manwha/webtoons, hence "Castle-nim" and its' silly arches being everywhere, which probably makes it a lot easier to be solo/have less staff.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Manhwa has what I like to call asset-driven worldbuilding, because sometimes it feels like things exist in a world depending on whether or not the author can find 3D models for them. Hence this one villainess story I read which was set in a faux medieval world with fancy castles, but also they had modern bullet trains.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Stexils posted:

this story annoyed me because it completely fails to sell the main character as someone whos been reborn 50 times

i would expect someone with that much life experience to be extremely self confident, basically unflappable, and highly adept at social interaction of every kind considering the huge variety of backgrounds theyve been reborn into, everything from a slave to a general to a princess. instead she gets dragged into a bunch of easily avoidable events after she gets to the big academy city despite supposedly wanting to just relax. itd be believable if she was just laid back and willing to just go with the flow without any real goals (which is also something id expect from a person with her background) but its really not plausible if all she wants to do is lay around all day.

on top of that the story does the obligatory "scene where she tries to show off her martial arts, then slips and falls and closes her eyes before A MAN catches her" despite her having lived through literal battlefields as a soldier and general. just total mismatch between stated background and her actions.

she aint no martina, that's for sure. seeing a lot more of the cycle/rebirth/time travel stories popping up i really appreciate that character even more due to how well she evokes that kind of poise and age without being graceful or stuffy.

I think a big factor when it's a more lighthearted thing (unlike solitary lady, lady and the beast or the revenge-y ones) is the specifics of that background - the 7th cycle one works because of the cycles being short and all in the prime of youth - the soul is "old" but very much young at heart which makes that stuff more believable.

it's still a pretty fun lil thing though.

also the "don't touch my brother or ill kill you" manhwa is hilarious- the chaos energy of it is great. the way the characters will just go from hating each other to working together for massively petty reasons (usually horndoggin on a hot stud or going out of their way to get out of work) is so good

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 31, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Martina feeling far older than her age is done so perfectly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Which one is Martina from again? I read a lot of these and I forget the names.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

Which one is Martina from again? I read a lot of these and I forget the names.

The Lady and the Beast

That's the 'Someone has to go be married to the Duke of the cursed family that turns into a monster' one. It was supposed to be her sister but she steps in and does it instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

The Lady and the Beast

That's the 'Someone has to go be married to the Duke of the cursed family that turns into a monster' one. It was supposed to be her sister but she steps in and does it instead.

Did she even have multiple reincarnations? It's been a while since I read the beginning but I thought this was her first reincarnation and she was actually just already perfect at everything during her first life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

Did she even have multiple reincarnations? It's been a while since I read the beginning but I thought this was her first reincarnation and she was actually just already perfect at everything during her first life.

The description reads '100 years after her death, Empress Martina, the founder of the Carabella Empire, reincarnates as Astina Lette, the daughter of a count. Her peaceful, everyday life as a noble lady, a stark contrast to her past life, is short-lived, however.'

So I guess she was just built different, and expectations are way lower when you're like 17 so she's blowing people away just like Kim Jihyun does in Medical Return with the added decade and a half of experience she has that all employers are looking for.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Korean webtoons also have a pretty crazy pace for the amount of content you get. My favorite one so far, "I'm Stanning the Prince", used to be weekly until the author/artist (same person) practically killed themselves with that pace. Everybody talks about how the manga industry is killing its talent, but jeez, the webtoon guys are doing it in full color!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

RareAcumen posted:

The description reads '100 years after her death, Empress Martina, the founder of the Carabella Empire, reincarnates as Astina Lette, the daughter of a count. Her peaceful, everyday life as a noble lady, a stark contrast to her past life, is short-lived, however.'

So I guess she was just built different, and expectations are way lower when you're like 17 so she's blowing people away just like Kim Jihyun does in Medical Return with the added decade and a half of experience she has that all employers are looking for.

Martina in that one is basically Julius Caesar up to and including the eh tu Brutus moment except it was her husband in her first life. She definitely does the tired and jaded of life bit well and most of the tension comes from the fact that her dog reminds her of her husband that backstabbed her (literally).

Nalin posted:

The Korean webtoons also have a pretty crazy pace for the amount of content you get. My favorite one so far, "I'm Stanning the Prince", used to be weekly until the author/artist (same person) practically killed themselves with that pace. Everybody talks about how the manga industry is killing its talent, but jeez, the webtoon guys are doing it in full color!

Every webtoon I've enjoyed either updates once a month or less or the Author is literally killing themselves and randomly going on hiatus to sort out medical problems. It's a huge mess with no happy medium.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The webtoon guys have a fully digital workflow though. a lot of mangaka still draw out their pencils in hand with actual pencils and only move to digital for inking and sometimes screentones.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
That doesn't really change much TBH?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Compositing character and background art and framing the angles is going to be faster when done digitally across multiple layers.

Some mangaka have been experimenting with digital techniques. For instance, Inio Asano has been using Unreal Engine to stage his backgrounds. Satoru Noda works digitally as well, and uses filters on photos to fill out his backgrounds of rural Hokkaido.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I noticed when bottles of wine show up in these korean webtoons they all have incredibly detailed illustrated labels like they're fresh out of a 2020 supermarket, even when the world has a 1500s level of technology.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nalin posted:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Nalin posted:

I Stan the Prince is so loving good. they switched back to weekly recently and i really wish they had stuck with the slow pace so i could continue enjoying it without the risk of hxh style disintegration

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solo Leveling just ended and I don't know what to do with myself now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

RareAcumen posted:

Solo Leveling just ended and I don't know what to do with myself now.

Tbh I kinda hated the ending so much I didn’t read the last chapter. Something about it just made me think the author was just done and wanted to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Tbh I kinda hated the ending so much I didn’t read the last chapter. Something about it just made me think the author was just done and wanted to do something else.

From the way it went after the Ruler of Dragons was beaten, I thought it was just speedrunning to the end. I assumed there was more in the light novel but all the artists wanted to move on.