Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Scott Hall's billed height is 6' 7". Undertaker is 6' 10".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bruh, look at this dood...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nevermind that, check out 8 ft tall Shinya Hashimoto!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

nevermind that, check out 8 ft tall Shinya Hashimoto!

Billed Height 5'11" :laffo:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What's going on with Hashimoto's face?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lights

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Admiral Joeslop posted:

always thought it was weird a guy that pale was billed from Death Valley when, dead or not, he woulda gotten the worst sunburn ever

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1468576783192649729?s=21

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

collocation posted:

always thought it was weird a guy that pale was billed from Death Valley when, dead or not, he woulda gotten the worst sunburn ever

Well he obviously was buried underground at Death Valley so he wouldn't have a sunburn or a tan or anything.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/POSTwrestling/status/1468618332026945544?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fad posted:

Dude in the white tank top is so thrilled with what is going down.

"Whooo come down an' do that to the revenue man when he come to my house, Scott! Whoooo!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

good for hacksaw, gently caress a cancer :unsmith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LividLiquid posted:

It was also made worse by their pyro. I'm not sure why WWF didn't have thia problem, but WCW's always left this thick haze over the entire arena.

KevinNashCitizenoftheWorld.gif

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
When I was a kid watching Raw and Nitro I developed a strong perception that the difference was that WWF’s top guys were on every show, usually getting physical, but in WCW once all the top guys got their contracts you’d hardly see them. You got two hours of a really good undercard that got talked over in favor of whatever the NWO was doing, but you never got to see Hall, Nash, Sting or (god forbid) Hogan wrestle for free. Forget competitive matches, they would just do talk segments and maybe a beatdown—it was all Tier 2 and below guys actually working. And this was when WCW was good—do the actual facts back this up?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

King Bahamut posted:

When I was a kid watching Raw and Nitro I developed a strong perception that the difference was that WWF’s top guys were on every show, usually getting physical, but in WCW once all the top guys got their contracts you’d hardly see them. You got two hours of a really good undercard that got talked over in favor of whatever the NWO was doing, but you never got to see Hall, Nash, Sting or (god forbid) Hogan wrestle for free. Forget competitive matches, they would just do talk segments and maybe a beatdown—it was all Tier 2 and below guys actually working. And this was when WCW was good—do the actual facts back this up?

That would be true up until about 99, after a while the low/mid card guys were mediocre at best either because of their limits or the terrible booking, or both.

E: as of January 99 the usually reliable undercard is mostly "boy I hope you like Lash Leroux, Billy Kidman getting squashed, and whatever we're calling Prince Iukea this week"

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 8, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, Sting's biggest angle ever was based on not wrestling for almost a year before the showdown at Starrcade.

Hogan, Nash, Hall, Sting, Goldberg, Luger, Steiner, and Flair were all working fewer matches than Austin, Rock, Foley, HHH, Undertaker, and Kane during the same period. In some cases only a fraction of the matches their WWF counterparts were doing. Austin's schedule was inconsistent because of injuries, but often the top WCW guys were working half as many dates as their WWF counterparts.

WWE's strategy was that you got to see the belt-holders and top guys a lot, just not in singles matches that went to a clean finish. They did a lot of tag matches (which I liked) and a lot of Raws that started with interminable promos from non-wrestlers and ended with multiple run-ins and a DQ (if I want that poo poo I'll watch WCW).

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 8, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

King Bahamut posted:

Depends on the guys. Sting didn't wrestle at all on TV in 97 until after Starrcade, but that was the gimmick and part of what made him so popular. Nash wrestled a little more than once a month on Nitro, Hall about twice a month, Hogan every 6 weeks or so. But it wasn't like they did squashes during that period. You'd get poo poo finishes, but you saw a lot of poo poo finishes on Raw.

The irony is as the show got worse, the big stars wrestled more. Hogan wrestled on TV twice as much in 99 as he did in 97. That number would have went up even higher in 2000 if he didn't walk out.

However, in 1997 the top week to week babyface was Lex Luger. He was hugely popular, incredibly underrated for his role in WCW's hot period. He wrestled 30 times on Nitro that year. You'd get a Luger match more times than not on Nitro.

So you got a good mix of the stars who mattered.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I never liked WCW putting logos in the middle of the ring, I always found it distracting.
:mods:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

collocation posted:

That's why the long coat, big hat, and gloves.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I give you the FOUR FACES OF ONOO:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1469111138684186627
We've got:

* March 1995: Kazuo "Sonny" Onoo ("Martial Arts Match" referee/former PKA Bantamweight Champion)
* April 1995: Kensuke Ishikawa (Japanese representative on the WCW International Board of Directors)
* August 1995: Kazuo Ishikawa (Japanese color analyst on commentary for Collision in Korea with Eric Bischoff and Mike Tenay)
* November 1995: Sony Onoo (Evil Japanese businessman/NJPW representative)

Despite two of them being named "Sonny Onoo," it's clear that all four are supposed to be distinct characters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1469151237681696773?t=92T7VPRi3MOQPWj5IGMo7w&s=19

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

God drat Norman Smiley is the best.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

davidbix posted:

* August 1995: Kazuo Ishikawa (Japanese color analyst on commentary for Collision in Korea with Eric Bischoff and Mike Tenay)

Was that when he bought part of Saturday Night?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

collocation posted:

Was that when he bought part of Saturday Night?

No, he did that as Sonny Onoo...and I think it was WCW itself...sold to him by a fraudulent Bobby Heenan

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 10, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No, he did that as Sonny Onoo...and I think it was WCW itself...sold to him by a fraudulent Bobby Heenan
Bobby Heenan sold him half of WCW Pro.

I don't think they explained how it was binding.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

edogawa rando posted:

With the benefit of hindsight, where would you say is the "point of no return" for WCW, where you could definitively point to and say "there was no way back from this one?"

kind of a ship of theseus issue here

the WCW that blew up so big in the late 90s? Probably fingerpoke/fallout with how they handled Goldberg. That boom was never going to be back for a while.

The actual company as an entity though was when Turner canceled the TV deals. You can survive a while with tv and investors and maybe you can get hot again with enough time.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Man, I miss fraudulent Bobby Heenan.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/golazodan/status/1475790297175146500?s=21

Oh god

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember that one of Russo's tenants was that "anyone can wrestle"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

lmao

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Alaois posted:

He was a landlord, too?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Which is worse? Erik Watts' drop kick or Vince Russo's legdrop?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

edogawa rando posted:

Which is worse? Erik Watts' drop kick or Vince Russo's legdrop?

Russo's leg drop is a better drop kick than Watts's drop kick.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zombie Lemur posted:

But that's like saying "Russo's German suplex is a better hurrucanrana than Cena's rana."

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

edogawa rando posted:

But that's like saying "Russo's German suplex is a better hurrucanrana than Cena's rana."

The first time I watched it I thought it was basically a low drop kick, but watching it a couple more times it's like Russo is doing an elbow drop with the side of his leg?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He looks like he's doing a pratfall involving an invisible banana peel.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Alaois posted:

A tenet which fell apart almost immediately when he booked multiple Nitro Girls catfight segments.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zombie Lemur posted:

In some fairness to Russo, it looks like it could hurt to receive that leg drop. Though it looks way more painful for Russo's hip.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

"What a physique on this guy" is :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

kalensc posted:

"What a physique on this guy" is :kiss:

What's kind of funny is I've seen a lot of really good wrestles with comparable physiques! Many of them used to be in WCW.