Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Casual Encountess posted:

im just really enjoying being able to jump into a hobby in 2021 and being able to do everything i ever dreamed of doing when i was 16 and every step has been heavily annotated and is now fairly straightforward to do. like 3d printed terrain vs foamcore

my first motorcycle is a kawasaki ninja 250 and 100% of everything that i would need or would ever happen to that machine is fully documented and thats just totally loving wild

my first bike was a ninja 500 and i am excited for your journey. spoiler: no the ninja 500 was absolutely not twice as Fast as the 250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my brother got me the ideology dlc for rimworld and I am being sucked back into its vortex

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I really like rimworld but ideology doesn’t seem to add that much for me?

maybe it’s just because I constantly restart after hitting the mid game

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i kinda want to try riding a motorbike some time, i mean, i'm coming up on mid life crisis age and all

motorcycles are dangerously cheap for the amount of power they've got on tap unless you get like a moped or something and you can probably hurt yourself pretty bad with one of those too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

take the msf course and get something small, you’ll be fine

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I rode a Kawasaki Vulcan for almost a decade, was great

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i kinda want to try riding a motorbike some time, i mean, i'm coming up on mid life crisis age and all

motorcycles are dangerously cheap for the amount of power they've got on tap unless you get like a moped or something and you can probably hurt yourself pretty bad with one of those too

motorcycles would certainly not be street-legal if they were invented today.

you can definitely hurt yourself on a moped. road doesn't care what kind of vehicle you're on. 35 mph is gonna hurt plenty whether you're on a motorbike or a scooter or a bicycle. i think about this a lot when i'm riding down a twisty mountain on my motorcycle, head to toe in armored leather, and there's a guy on a triathlon bike ahead of me going the same speed wearing essentially a bathing suit. (and he has zero suspension, a tire contact patch the size of a dime, brake pads the size of a stick of gum, and his feet are mechanically fastened to the vehicle)

motorcycling is still a fuckin blast and you should definitely at least take the MSF/BRC course for a weekend and see if you like it. that way worst case you find you don't like it and you're only out 200 bucks. best case you love it, you learn a bunch of good techniques from the start, you try out a couple of different motorcycle shapes, and you get a discount on your insurance.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 28, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sagebrush speaks it. i still have dreams about the lovely nighthawk 250 i MSF'd on, because i could flat-out it and not really get in too much trouble too fast

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

one time I was longboarding and came across a steep hill that I did t know was there, hit probably 30mph and slammed into a curb while attempting to stop or slow down and was launched 8ft and broke my ankle

I then used my longboard as a crutch to get myself to a human anatomy and dissection lab exam where my professor palpated my ankle and called an ambulance for me while also telling me I get a free pass on the exam :3:

anyways going fast really hurts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one semester i had two students show up the same week with leg casts.

one of them was skateboarding around and got going faster than he could handle on one of the san francisco hills, and was going to shoot across an intersection and probably get smoked by a car, so he stopped himself by putting one leg into a curb with a locked knee. snap. i was like drat dude. that fuckin sucks.

the other one was riding a crowded bus, was standing, had his legs crossed for some reason, and the bus went over a bump and he put his weight into his legs, but because they were crossed the leverage somehow snapped one of them. i was like drat dude. drink some milk

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
buy me a vape cart and I will fog up your whole poo poo

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
You see here? The foot bone is not connected to the leg bone, a clear issue.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hire a vape goblin for your tabletop game experience

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hire a vape goblin for your tabletop game experience

all sold out RIP https://www.evolutionvaping.co.uk/goblin-juice.html

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lol I'm not smoking terf island poo poo with no thc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSA3NXM-VTM

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Not gonna go back and quote anyone but everyone should buy and ride a motorcycle they’re great

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im gonna finally get a motorcycle in 2022 ive decided, let’s get this midlife crisis going

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i want a Zero real bad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

join us in cycle asylum!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the epic winter sale plus $10 coupon got me death stranding for $10 and i easily hit 10 hours running junk between the wind farm and the other starting areas. i have never enjoyed a walking simulation more and the passive collaboration with other players is just enough interaction to make it feel collaborative without feeling busy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wish i could buy playstation and switch games on the epic game store

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
root for epic to win the apple lawsuit then

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Agile Vector posted:

the epic winter sale plus $10 coupon got me death stranding for $10 and i easily hit 10 hours running junk between the wind farm and the other starting areas. i have never enjoyed a walking simulation more and the passive collaboration with other players is just enough interaction to make it feel collaborative without feeling busy

It's been one of my favorite games. I just put on some podcasts or music and deliver some packages.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

one semester i had two students show up the same week with leg casts.

one of them was skateboarding around and got going faster than he could handle on one of the san francisco hills, and was going to shoot across an intersection and probably get smoked by a car, so he stopped himself by putting one leg into a curb with a locked knee. snap. i was like drat dude. that fuckin sucks.

the other one was riding a crowded bus, was standing, had his legs crossed for some reason, and the bus went over a bump and he put his weight into his legs, but because they were crossed the leverage somehow snapped one of them. i was like drat dude. drink some milk

a guy I worked with in college broke his leg playing volleyball. he hopped slightly to hit the ball, landed normally but somehow broke his leg and had to ride a little cart around for weeks. wtf

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Marathonned my way through Ori2 (Will of the Wisps), and it was good!

Loved: Gorgeous artwork, lots of fun movement, expansive feeling map, lots of different challenges

Didn't Love: Lackluster boss battles, escape sequences with poorly telegraphed pathing, the story is so far up its own rear end, too many abilities that only get used once or twice.

My rating: If you like metroidvanias, it's a chill time and worth playing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone played this free javascript game bitburner

https://danielyxie.github.io/bitburner/

im playing the steam version its also free just its own app

it's pretty drat fun. at least the first half hour has been

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 29, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

deal drugs

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i played it for a bit

i wrote a cool "cloud computing" script that would automatically and efficiently distribute your hacking tasks over every server you had access to, which i thought was pretty cool. then i got to the first reset and had to manually bootstrap back up to the point where it was going to be useful and decided that nah, that's enough for me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Been playing Zelda skyward sword. The game is okay but is entirely dependent on awful motion controls and if you use the non motion controls everything becomes dependent on the right analog stock. I'm glad they got rid of most of that in botw.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
skyward sword has some of my most favourite zelda dungeons ever but it also has a lot of design issues. the timetravel area where you swap between a desert and an ocean is really visually impressive

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

but yeah 3D printers is another well notated hobby that i can't say enough positive things in regards to wargaming. i was originally going to go on etsy or something and buy custom painted terrain because i didnt want to deal with that. it turns out there's an even cooler way to do that in that theres a ton of terrain modellers who release monthly packs of printables on a patreon. im extremely not into this web 2.0 poo poo but i thought it was a great way of supporting an individual and getting cool poo poo.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saucermenstudios/flatline-city

like i usually think kickstarters are dumb as hell but this is a cool thing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

skyward sword has some of my most favourite zelda dungeons ever but it also has a lot of design issues. the timetravel area where you swap between a desert and an ocean is really visually impressive

That whole concept is really cool. I wish they did more with it than just the 2 dungeons. I also liked the monster fight in the temple of time area.

The game feels like they threw out a lot of things but not much stuck. Also fi should be executed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are 3d printers still a massive pain in the rear end to set up and calibrate and janitor? i'm all about getting one when they just work. i want a 3d printer to be a tool for making stuff, though, not a hobby in and of itself. if it takes more work than when i have to restring a guitar once a year (and it better not be floyd rose levels of obnoxious) or whatever it's probably not yet at my level of ease of use

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no printer is 100% hands-off. like any machine tool, there's always a little bit of maintenance, even if it's just small things like cleaning the build plate or occasionally clearing a jam.

however, a prusa printer is as close as you can get to plug and play. we have a bank of them in the school lab as workhorses because they are very reliable and almost never need to be fussed with. i also have one at home, and generally i don't have to do anything except brush dust off the build plate if it's been a while. stick the file in and press print and walk away.

prusas are more expensive than other printers, and it might look like you can get something equivalent for much cheaper (ender 3 on amazon, say, for $250). it's a false economy. don't do it. the $750 for a prusa is pocket change for all these yosposters making half a million for stupid computer poo poo anyway.

if you go to the diy forum thread you will find it's polarized between "just get a prusa" people, like me, and "no actually this ender 3 with another $250 in upgrades and custom firmware is still cheaper than a prusa and it's better and it's so easy to make these changes why would you waste money on a prusa" and i think you probably understand how that turns out in reality.

e: if you want to make minifigures you should get a resin printer instead, and while those can be pretty reliable these days, they are messy and smelly and it's definitely an involved process every time you make a print.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 29, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah resin printers also need to be far away from you because they offgas dangerous stuff

my friend walked in with this ender3 pla printer, showed me how to level the bed and use the printing program to write to memory card and the entire process was like 5 minutes from plugging in to starting a print.

and for actual printing you just need to make sure the first few layers fire then you can ignore it mostly. i hosed up a large 17 hour print halfway by opening all the windows to vent some cooking stuff and the temp change blew up the print but otherwise all ive needed to keep a print going is the right bed temp and usually adding a brim to help with adhesion

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

based on videos i've seen i wouldn't want to use a resin printer without putting it in a fume hood in an unattached shed

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Achmed Jones posted:

are 3d printers still a massive pain in the rear end to set up and calibrate and janitor? i'm all about getting one when they just work. i want a 3d printer to be a tool for making stuff, though, not a hobby in and of itself. if it takes more work than when i have to restring a guitar once a year (and it better not be floyd rose levels of obnoxious) or whatever it's probably not yet at my level of ease of use

leveling still pisses me off and i really wish i had one that auto-leveled

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
printers are like partners. as long as you don't shop around for one with a super hot extruder or a fat print area you can get yourself set up with a low maintenance option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah my printer is in my garden shed and i run it with the door open, a fan on, and me not in it