Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Better, warmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's a pretty good thing to be aware of your own strengths and weaknesses and being able to communicate them to others. For example, I had no idea I'm apparently extremely authoritative until my first employee review; my supervisor told me that after watching me at work. Knowing that was real helpful for any future resumes and job interviews.

A big problem with most personality tests is that they rely on self-reporting, so people who have no idea their habits/assumptions are unusual will answer questions with a middle ground answer when the real answer is more extreme. So yeah, having an observant supervisor be able to tell you that you've got some kind of notable personality trait is leaps and bounds more helpful than answering questions in a program.

obithrawn posted:

when I took intro to psych courses in 2008 we were taught that stuff like Freud-Jung and MBTI were on the same axis of fun to learn about ideas but ultimately had no value in practice and I'm always surprised to find out some colleges teach those differently.

Interestingly, Freud's ideas do have value in practice, it's just that the ideas that have value are things like "People's pasts can impact their emotional growth" and "You can figure out what the hell's going on by talking with the person," which are extremely fundamental to the whole thing. So people took all the good ideas he had and forgot they were something he came up with, leaving him with all the absolute nonsense that didn't apply.

Sort of like if we forgot Newton's contributions to physics and only knew him for the alchemy and occult craziness.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Freud's thoughts on the subconscious and trauma are all super valid. The problem with Freud is that he wanted to gently caress his mom, and so he assumed everyone else did. It's like he skipped his own lesson on projection.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't all the loving your mom stuff in Freud the result of him walking back an earlier theory that a huge number of people in early modern society had trauma from sexual abuse by their parents?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah but what personality color are those child rapists

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Sausages posted:

Didn't know that was a jorp thing too. The other place I've heard the "serpents=DNA" horseshit is from acid casualties who think it's a proven fact that ayahuasqueros are actually wizards who directly control people's DNA to heal them. Which is a much nicer idea than the all too real concept of charlatans trying to kill each other with songs, in between trying to screw naïve drug tourists and spitting on sick people.
I've seen it pop up a few times in ancient aliens circles as part of their beliefs that ancient peoples already 'knew' the things we know now but that it was coded because their brains weren't ready to understand it directly or whatever, because there's no new information to discover only old traditions to reclaim; incidentally, it mainly pops up in people who have at least one idea in their conspiracy gestalt that can be traced back to the books of an actual neo-Nazi convicted of anti-Semitism in multiple countries.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean the idea of a prelapsarian Golden Age is extremely common across most of Western culture, from the Garden of Eden to Atlantis to "Music was just better when I was a kid." We just really like the idea of "things were a lot better once" for some reason.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Atlantis was a rhetorical device that was never intended to be believed in, and the Garden of Eden is literally middle-eastern culture.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's fair to categorize jorp as "basic"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ghostlight posted:

I've seen it pop up a few times in ancient aliens circles as part of their beliefs that ancient peoples already 'knew' the things we know now but that it was coded because their brains weren't ready to understand it directly or whatever, because there's no new information to discover only old traditions to reclaim; incidentally, it mainly pops up in people who have at least one idea in their conspiracy gestalt that can be traced back to the books of an actual neo-Nazi convicted of anti-Semitism in multiple countries.

I mean, you don't have to go to ancient aliens, racism or conspiracies. The idea that human beings are born with perfect and complete knowledge then spend the rest of their life trying to get back there was heavy in both Socrates and Plato.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes but on the other hand they believed the caduceus was symbol of finance and trade because they didn't know what DNA is.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Poohs Packin posted:

I found it helpful because once you realize the test gives different results, its up to you to pick the qualities you hold in highest regard. There are other tools out there like "Strength cards" that serve the same purpose.

It can be good to have those qualities you choose to be at the forefront of your mind when starting new projects, asking for a raise, or going through a rough patch. Myers Briggs gives a sort of catalogue of personal qualities one can choose to cultivate and they are all positive.

But again, screw applying it in an organizational setting.

it's made-up pseudoscience, stop stanning for it you moron

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

feelix posted:

Big-five/LAKES is meant to be a more evidence-based approach to quantified personality differences, and it still underlies a lot of the most dubious research in social psychology.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ikanreed posted:

Big-five/LAKES is meant to be a more evidence-based approach to quantified personality differences, and it still underlies a lot of the most dubious research in social psychology.

Yes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Puppy Time posted:

A big problem with most personality tests is that they rely on self-reporting, so people who have no idea their habits/assumptions are unusual will answer questions with a middle ground answer when the real answer is more extreme. So yeah, having an observant supervisor be able to tell you that you've got some kind of notable personality trait is leaps and bounds more helpful than answering questions in a program.

I mean, yeah, there's so many faults in these tests. It just struck me only as I was typing that up that they exist solely to replace the chief function of an entire job class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Peggotty posted:

None of them provide more insight than a "which friends character are you" test that was cobbled together by an algorithm.

Big 5 / OCEAN at least has test-retest validity, from my understanding.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Jorp thinks that the entwined snakes on the caduceus represent the helix structure of dna, which the ancients of course knew about because they were so great.
Outside of the obvious reasons for this being an incredibly smoothbrained take, it also makes the assumption that the Caduceus has always been linked to medicine. It was originally linked to merchants and messengers, and only got linked to medicine in the last hundred years.

So Jorp's theory is that ancient Greek messengers were super into DNA.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

feelix posted:

Oh great its the forums least favourite sad-boy here to single out one of my posts yet again.

I know what it is, fee-dog. Today im choosing to be caring and empathetic though so Ill let you down easy. poo poo, i might even smoke some weed and let my witchy friend do a tarot reading.

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr
Also one funny thing to me about the jorp region of politics is how much they can snort at the sokal squared hoax for getting some shithouse papers into "postmodern" journals and also see no issue with following someone in one of the least replicable disciplines (for published papers) and within that discipline nod to the sage advice of a Jungian psychoanalyst - which wasn't even state of the art 30 years ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Someone post those really funny illustrations from that stupid book he wrote.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Outside of the obvious reasons for this being an incredibly smoothbrained take, it also makes the assumption that the Caduceus has always been linked to medicine. It was originally linked to merchants and messengers, and only got linked to medicine in the last hundred years.

So Jorp's theory is that ancient Greek messengers were super into DNA.

Well, the rod of asclepius being rna is only half as impressive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wasn't all the loving your mom stuff in Freud the result of him walking back an earlier theory that a huge number of people in early modern society had trauma from sexual abuse by their parents?

Probably, he apparently heard a shitload of girls and young women say they were sexually abused by their fathers and at least publicly said it must be some kind of common fantasy they all happened to make up.

The weird and/or depressing this is that for all his shittiness, weirdness, and cocaine, Freud may have actually been the best out of the people who were developing the field of psychiatry at the time for actually having useful ideas and methodology along with the weird poo poo. I think a goon posted it that Freud's racism was a 3/10 by standards of the day, and 7/10 by modern standards, while the other guys were degrees of racist that are no longer possible in modern society.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Poohs Packin posted:

Oh great its the forums least favourite sad-boy here to single out one of my posts yet again.

I know what it is, fee-dog. Today im choosing to be caring and empathetic though so Ill let you down easy. poo poo, i might even smoke some weed and let my witchy friend do a tarot reading.

What the gently caress are you talking about? I have no idea who you are and I'm certainly not "singling you out", you paranoid weirdo. You thinking I have some personal grudge against you does track perfectly with you also thinking that you, doing your own research, know better than actual psychologists who say that poo poo is pseudoscience.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Freud was a very compassionate person and most of his contributions to the field have to do with taking people seriously and listening to what they actually say. It must have felt revolutionary to be able to talk honestly about your feelings and cry in the 19th century, when people were basically forbidden to do that. The pop culture image of him as some icy or controlling figure passing judgment is not at all correct, even if some of his writing sounds reptilian or distant, or extremely sexist by modern standards.

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr
I guess also funnily Freud's contribution to the idea of the "unconscious mind", which lead over into the "bad and not from DA WEST" postmodernism, dissection of the idea of "rationality" also lead into what is presumably "good and from DA WEST" Jungian Psychoanalysis lol

These jorp stans have nofuckingidea

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I always found those personality tests to be frustrating and impossible.

"At parties, are you social, or do you avoid people?"
What kind of party? Who's there? Do I know anyone? Is there some common interest we all have? I need more details before I answer this question.

"Are you more concerned with details or the big picture?"
I'm concerned with how the details fit into the big picture and how the big picture helps shape what details are important. Where is that box on your scantron?

"Are you creative and do things your own way, or do you prefer structure and rules"
I want to have clear expectations and outcomes so I can find the best process for myself to achieve the expected outcome.

Of course JORP stans love this. It's all just a bunch imaginary binary categories masquerading as pure rational truth.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

he did not heed the warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXxlYzBCno

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

eSporks posted:

I always found those personality tests to be frustrating and impossible.

"At parties, are you social, or do you avoid people?"
What kind of party? Who's there? Do I know anyone? Is there some common interest we all have? I need more details before I answer this question.

Classic ISTJ attitude

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

feelix posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? I have no idea who you are and I'm certainly not "singling you out", you paranoid weirdo. You thinking I have some personal grudge against you does track perfectly with you also thinking that you, doing your own research, know better than actual psychologists who say that poo poo is pseudoscience.

I've figured it out. You have an average of a probe a week because you constantly call people idiots/morons/dumb bitches, etc. and insist on your expertise when someone offers even a mild deviation from your high-minded worldview. You consistently get told to chill out because you resort to petty insults. I thought you've targeted my posts because you've resorted to insults over the most minor poo poo in the past and I genuinely thought it was about me because that has consistently been my experience. It turns out, you just post nastily most of the time and every time you've ever quoted something of mine its been a bad faith reading followed by an insult.

You got probed in BYOB (the relax forum) for insulting people lol. You started calling people "dumb bitches" over ninja video games.

Mate, I said that Myers-Briggs helped me think holistically about the type of person I want to be in the workplace. I followed that up by saying that under no circumstances should it be applied organizationally, but in this very narrow application, it offered me a bit of insight.

You consistently pick and choose things you don't agree with, amplify them in your own mind, and then resort to insults. This is a comedy forum, dipshit. Try taking a walk in the woods for a while.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

What the christ did I just watch?

It's 4:30am and I woke up from a nightmare not long ago and can't sleep. I'm out of it and a bit jumpy. I should not have watched this.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
We should all be peeing on each other.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In benzo withdrawal, you usually pee yourself. It's all coming together now...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

that part in the animation where it's the joe rogan show and he's talking about "cider" and you know he means "benzo withdrawal" is wild poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JP wishes his hair and beard looked that full and real.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Poohs Packin posted:

I've figured it out. You have an average of a probe a week because you constantly call people idiots/morons/dumb bitches, etc. and insist on your expertise when someone offers even a mild deviation from your high-minded worldview. You consistently get told to chill out because you resort to petty insults. I thought you've targeted my posts because you've resorted to insults over the most minor poo poo in the past and I genuinely thought it was about me because that has consistently been my experience. It turns out, you just post nastily most of the time and every time you've ever quoted something of mine its been a bad faith reading followed by an insult.

You got probed in BYOB (the relax forum) for insulting people lol. You started calling people "dumb bitches" over ninja video games.

Mate, I said that Myers-Briggs helped me think holistically about the type of person I want to be in the workplace. I followed that up by saying that under no circumstances should it be applied organizationally, but in this very narrow application, it offered me a bit of insight.

You consistently pick and choose things you don't agree with, amplify them in your own mind, and then resort to insults. This is a comedy forum, dipshit. Try taking a walk in the woods for a while.

Not MY expertise, I'm not a psychologist. That's why I trust experts in the field when they say Myers-Briggs is pseudoscience and you're a dumb bitch. You're one step away from having some cool opinions on vaccines because you did your own research

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Stop fighting and make fun of Jorp, dummies

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Marie Kondo vs. Jorp

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Through months of arguing about Jorp, probably over a year, my friend seems to finally be realizing Jorp is a joke. It feels good. He was never a die hard or anything, but definitely one of those "He's not right about everything, but he has interesting ideas and everyone who criticizes him doesn't actually understand what he's saying" guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
on the third night, when i was tripping face on ayahuasca i got the phrase "be careful how you talk to yourself" stuck in my head and it made me think of that photo where jordan is strung out on benzos, dripping wet, with the gun in his hand and my mind followed that down into suicide distillate. pure blackness. i really thought i might kill myself while everyone was singing koombayah etc. it was terrifying. then i went to sleep and woke up clear headed, feeling great and i had a good three month run after that