Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

Mendrian posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is an excellent game if you enjoy cyberpunk 2077.

There should be a disclaimer to this that you must enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 and not the ideas of Cyberpunk and 2077 separately :(

KernelZee posted:

I would say other than 2077 not being what was promised, not reusing night city again in a 2078 or some such game would be a another travesty, such a neat looking city that mostly went unused.

I want this too but I don't want to be hurt again. I feel like it will still feel like an empty shell of a city that's all flash and no substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

alex314 posted:

What's the current list of good QoL/overhaul mods? I want to mix up my playthrough a bit.

Full Gameplay Rebalance, the two you need to run it, and maybe a driving mod.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Heroine88 posted:

There should be a disclaimer to this that you must enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 and not the ideas of Cyberpunk and 2077 separately :(

I want this too but I don't want to be hurt again. I feel like it will still feel like an empty shell of a city that's all flash and no substance.

Honestly, this is how I feel about the game overall. It's fun enough, but it's a wet fart of its genre.

Also, the flash isn't even that great when it comes to the random NPCs in the world. The crowds always seem SUPER low quality compared to everything else around them and it's jarring even on a 3080 with everything cranked to psycho.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dawgstar posted:

I had a nice little moment that I didn't catch initially, and props to the writing team. When you're driving with Panam after she's been shot taking down the tower on the way to the AV, I kind of had a weird flashback to being in the car with Jackie. I think even Cherami Leigh kind of sells it more as panicking than she strictly needed to because she's been there.

FemV is canon. :colbert:

Not trying to diss the male VA, but she really hit it out of the park, for me!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

alex314 posted:

What's the current list of good QoL/overhaul mods? I want to mix up my playthrough a bit.

djkovrik's mods for QoL and rmk1234's for challenge.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

Dawgstar posted:

Full Gameplay Rebalance, the two you need to run it, and maybe a driving mod.

The rebalance mod does look like it would be a major improvement, I haven't noticed a lot of this technical stuff from how casually I've played the game

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Dawgstar posted:

I had a nice little moment that I didn't catch initially, and props to the writing team.

I was actually kinda pissed, cause it made no sense. One npc just dies from a similar injury, despite V carrying a ton of meds. Another npc just shrugs it off as if nothing happened.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The Jackie thing is particularly frustrating because he was still very much alive when they got into the cab, but then V just doesn't do poo poo or offer any meds. Next thing you know, "oh whoops he died!". Like, at least try.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well, had to get rid of the interesting characters to make room for the tabletop characters.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

FemV is canon. :colbert:

Not trying to diss the male VA, but she really hit it out of the park, for me!

The Panam romance also feels like it makes so much more sense if Panam's dealing with comphet and doesn't want to "ruin" a friendship with a woman she loves by being honest.

Imagine using the male VA ever, lol.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The Jackie thing is particularly frustrating because he was still very much alive when they got into the cab, but then V just doesn't do poo poo or offer any meds. Next thing you know, "oh whoops he died!". Like, at least try.

If you try to apply the logic of healing items/potions consistently than almost no death in any game can be justified. Some games, like The Witcher, get away with it by saying that there's something special about the player character that makes healing items work for them but not others, but most games have the player being brought to the brink of death dozens of times without even slowing down and then erasing that damage with literally no consequences, while NPCs have limited ability to do the same.

Robobot posted:

Well, had to get rid of the interesting characters to make room for the tabletop characters.

What makes them more interesting than the tabletop characters?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Roshnak posted:

What makes them more interesting than the tabletop characters?

We haven't heard their stories before. It's like the Star Wars sequels making the new characters supporting cast for the original trilogy main cast.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like both male and female V. They both have their moments. I just did two quests where V uses *fist* to threaten a non violent way out of the quest and Male V sounds like an absolute stone cold bad rear end.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Got back after a year long break. 93 mods later, I'm at about 100hrs at about half game progress

Still really love this game

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roshnak posted:

If you try to apply the logic of healing items/potions consistently than almost no death in any game can be justified. Some games, like The Witcher, get away with it by saying that there's something special about the player character that makes healing items work for them but not others, but most games have the player being brought to the brink of death dozens of times without even slowing down and then erasing that damage with literally no consequences, while NPCs have limited ability to do the same.

That feels like we're getting into 'why did Aerith die I had 99 Phoenix Downs' territory. I don't stress it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Panam had probably eaten some food recently and still had the Nourishment status, meaning once she was out of combat her hit points replenished quickly

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

We haven't heard their stories before. It's like the Star Wars sequels making the new characters supporting cast for the original trilogy main cast.

Probably almost everyone who plays Cyberpunk 2077 won't have heard any of the tabletop characters' stories before, either. Also, it's not like the Witcher games were focusing on brand new characters, and they were plenty interesting.

Dawgstar posted:

That feels like we're getting into 'why did Aerith die I had 99 Phoenix Downs' territory. I don't stress it.

Yeah, that's my point. You just can't apply the logic of healing items in gameplay to the story most of the time.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 30, 2021

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for mod info. I got sucked into Hearts of Iron 4 hole, but will check them sometime later.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Solo… as opposed to??

I assume they mean opposed to finishing one of the character questlines which usually leads to them being NPC sidekicks during the mission and final bossfight. Depending on choice, you are doing the final mission completely alone, or with NPCs at your side.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Roshnak posted:

Probably almost everyone who plays Cyberpunk 2077 won't have heard any of the tabletop characters' stories before, either. Also, it's not like the Witcher games were focusing on brand new characters, and they were plenty interesting.

Yeah, that's my point. You just can't apply the logic of healing items in gameplay to the story most of the time.

I wish more games would go with a "Morale" approach to health instead of literally making hitpoints represent health for this reason. You can accomplish mostly the same things you do with hitpoints and preserve gameplay/story harmony if you just rename them "Willpower" or something.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Warmachine posted:

I wish more games would go with a "Morale" approach to health instead of literally making hitpoints represent health for this reason. You can accomplish mostly the same things you do with hitpoints and preserve gameplay/story harmony if you just rename them "Willpower" or something.

You'd immediately get restricted in Australia if your health items were drugs that improved morale and not health.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not sure whether it’s her timbre or delivery but Female V sounds like the most generic bargain bin female game protag and the effusive praise goons poor on her performance just confuses me. Male V loving shredded, all game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tell us more about how shrill you found this woman to be. BUST

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Female V is amazing, I don't really know a lot about Male V but from a few videos I've seen he doesn't seem as good so :shrug: He's just less expressive and more Generic White Guy Protagonist.

I don't even mind when Fem V does that weird, forced vocal fry thing some times to add emphasis.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played Fem V for the same reason I played whatever her name female protag in AssCreed. The male protag just seemed like a generic boring dude that I've already seen and head thousands of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

King Vidiot posted:

Female V is amazing, I don't really know a lot about Male V but from a few videos I've seen he doesn't seem as good so :shrug: He's just less expressive and more Generic White Guy Protagonist.

It makes sense. Male V's actor didn't have many credits before doing CP2077 and Cherami Leigh got her start on dubbing anime for Funimation ages ago. I think the guy is fine but Leigh has way more range and emotes better for the big scenes and it's probably down to experience.

I've actually got a question for Comte if he wants to hazard the thread again: Is there a reason Panam has her... semi-formal way of speaking, I guess is the best way to put it? Nobody else in the game quite has syntax like her.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He had a post about that a while back:

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think most of the other Aldecaldos do speak this way, it's direction we gave. It's a specific affectation of the Aldcaldos and many other nomad groups not depicted, (excepting the Bakkers, obviously, since V doesn't use this way of speaking herself).

EDIT: The thing about the Bakkers might not be true, V might use nomad-speak in the intro, I can't remember.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I played Fem V for the same reason I played whatever her name female protag in AssCreed. The male protag just seemed like a generic boring dude that I've already seen and head thousands of.

I thought he had a lot more warmth in his performance and preferred that to his sister coming off more cynical. Also that body and hair is what I want to see in a swords and sandals fantasy

Edit: overall I'm just not interested in men so it's a treat when I find one that I like. I'll scrap my current run bc I want a full respec and I'll give male V a chance this time

Randal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 30, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t know, for me I just feel like all western games get voiced by Troy Baker and Nolan North, so hearing a man’s voice that wasn’t those two guys was really refreshing. I’m not saying I want everyone to have the unique tonality of Kratos or whatever, but I don’t think of Vincent as being generic because he specifically does not sound like the two men who voice 95% of the characters in video games.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Male V is not bad. But for me, like others already mentioned: I get to play a white dude in real life, I can go anywhere I want and do anything I want - don't see the appeal of playing as myself, so when presented with the option to not be Mr white bread, I loving take it.

Fem Vs performance is so good because the voice actor deals with some of the more absurd lines pitch perfectly - it is not naturalistic but heightened enough that it gets the subtleties through, especially when you don't SEE your character. I hate it when voice work is given to people that aren't mainly doing that, since you get so much more bang for the buck otherwise.

Except for Rosario Dawson and Michael Madsen, I can listen to them knifing strangers and brooding in Dunwall forever.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I like fem V, two of my playthroughs have been with a fem V.

But I like the male V more...

if only for the way he delivers the line "just take the fuckin chip, dex" in the trailer that gives away The Heist

Something about it just feels so authentic, the animators did an amazing job in selling V's thousand mile despair over Jackie leading up to that moment

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think male V excels at making you feel like a bad rear end. Female V works better within the emotional context of the story and characters. I think they’re both great and male V far outshines male Shepard.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like Female V, but the delivery sometimes is weird. I am having a cool conversation with someone, and all of a sudden she goes from Normal V to Sneering Pissed Off V for no apparent reason.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Panam romance also feels like it makes so much more sense if Panam's dealing with comphet and doesn't want to "ruin" a friendship with a woman she loves by being honest.

Imagine using the male VA ever, lol.

I "forgot" in my playthrough that Panam won't date the ladies. The way she lets FemmeV down while they're curled up on the couch together is a lovely kind of bittersweet.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Verdugo posted:

I like Female V, but the delivery sometimes is weird. I am having a cool conversation with someone, and all of a sudden she goes from Normal V to Sneering Pissed Off V for no apparent reason.

Mass Effect 2 has this same issue, where femshep turns on her "sexual harassment in the workplace" voice whenever she's in Jacob's vicinity

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

dragonshardz posted:

I "forgot" in my playthrough that Panam won't date the ladies. The way she lets FemmeV down while they're curled up on the couch together is a lovely kind of bittersweet.

It's such a weird choice too, because all the lines are still voiced for femV to romance her with a "male" body and you can even have a vagina. It basically makes Panam sort of a really strange chaser? Or just really turned off by breasts specifically?

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's such a weird choice too, because all the lines are still voiced for femV to romance her with a "male" body and you can even have a vagina. It basically makes Panam sort of a really strange chaser? Or just really turned off by breasts specifically?

Thought it was the other way around and River was the secondary femvoice choice. Didn't play enough side content to meet him and I'm not interested in cops so this is just from what I've read about the dating options

Edit: oh the two of them do have just a body preference, thought it was the voice that locked you out

Randal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 30, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

She's allowed to not be attracted to people who present as female without it being some kind of hangup. Of all the weird design decisions the game, not going along with the "everyone is bi but only when it's the hero" trope was a good choice, IMO.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

KillHour posted:

She's allowed to not be attracted to people who present as female without it being some kind of hangup. Of all the weird design decisions the game, not going along with the "everyone is bi but only when it's the hero" trope was a good choice, IMO.

She is attracted to a V who identifies as a woman though. It's literally just a check to see whether you have tits or not.

E: And I think it does deserve to be commented on because it speaks to a very jumbled attempt to try and navigate trans identities, which they were constantly courting controversy over during production.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

She is attracted to a V who identifies as female though. It's literally just a check to see whether you have tits or not.

The character model is very different besides breasts. Maybe she just finds female-model V's face/body unattractive? You can be attracted/unattracted to someone for lots of reasons and in a world where swapping out genitalia is like buying a new car, it's not like she would have any way to know what you're packing until you end up in bed together.