Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did anyone else grab HEK Treasury or Cosmic Detective on Kickstarter? The former is a sci fi anthology by Matt Kindt, Brian Hurrt, and Marie Enger, and the latter is a street level Kirbyverse story by Matt Kindt and Jeff Lemire with art by David Rubin. I'd recommend both, but I'd rank HEK higher, especially the Hurrt stories. The campaigns are very much over but I think you can still get digital versions on the Kickstarter sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ahoy is doing another Dragonfly series, this time with an assortment of writers and artists.

https://twitter.com/ComicPause/status/1469022647052816391

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

For fans of both comics and wrestling, I'd say Crimson Cage is worth checking out.

It's pitched as a pro-wrestling retelling of MacBeth set in a regional Louisiana promotion. The main character is a Randy Savage-esque regional star, and in the first issue he's dealing with a visiting national champion clearly based on Ric Flair. There are, of course, swamp witch shenanigans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

After a few months of the Substack experiment, I'm down to only subscribing to Chip Zdarsky's.

The Hickman Three Worlds project sends a lot of stuff, but it's all process work with a bit of lore, which while interesting, isn't something I felt like paying for. They delivered one issue in the two months I was subscribed. It seems interesting enough, though, and I'll probably pick it up in trade if/when that comes out. They've also done some Zoom chats and movie watches and stuff, so while it wasn't things I was interested in, they are definitely offering some value for the subscription.

Saladin Ahmed's Copper Bottle project sends very little, delivering one issue in the four months I've paid, and not even much side stuff. I unsubscribed to that one, as well, when I was reminded today that I was still subscribed.

Chip, meanwhile, is releasing pages of two comics at a decent clip (volume 2 of Kaptara and an original called Public Domain) along with regular updates and such, so I'm going to keep this one for now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah, Chip! seems to be bringing his insane work ethic to the substack and the results are good.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Incredible deal on Brubaker/ Phillips @ Humble:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/ed-brubaker-image-comics-books

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That price is worth it just for the three volumes of Velvet.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/robert-kirkman-sued-over-invincible-profits-1235072426/

Colorist of Invincible is suing Kirkman over being a co-creator? I've literally never heard his name be talked about in the context of the comic at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm Kirkman screwing over his co-creators seems like a recurring problem. I'm sure it's nothing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He's been cool with Cory Walker and Ryan Ottley, and others I'm sure.

I'll put my random chips on Kirkman being an okay person. He was not in much of a position of power at the time, likely to not have his books continue etc. Not to say he's never made a shady deal, don't know the guy.

When I see peers suing each other, it's just standard stuff. I'm sure Bill is cool too, and I figure he'll get a settlement. The lawyer sounds untrustworthy, like he's cutting a wrestling promo.

Comics writers and colorists = cool, this laywer guy = a bit dubious! That's my hot take. Our system is a nutty circus, and this is not high stakes I feel. I love both of these great men, and I'm hoping for peace like on Cybertron at the end of that Transformers movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tony Moore sued him over Walking Dead as well. If you want to act like colorists aren't a big deal or whatever, that's an opinion you can have, but Kirkman was the original penciller on Walking Dead. I'm not sure how not being in a position of power matters. These people still co-created the books with him.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I know the Tony thing, that had the same lawyer oddly enough. Just saying I don't think it's fair to put Kirkman's name in the mud so to speak just because of this. It's cool that you assume badly of him, and it's cool that I assume non-badly. It's all good. I said I love Bill, I didn't say he's not a big deal. Just saying some lighthearted points, like how a creator owned book by Kirkman in the early 2000s wasn't the most professional endeavour, and the book was almost cancelled etc.

It's all good that we have a different impression on this news story, please just keep the ire at Kirkman. They both have more money than me, why should I take heat here. Comics. :sax:

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 13, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saga is BACK!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I might have to get a new icon from the new Saga issue. That was some drat good Lying Cat

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 28, 2022

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Aw hell ya

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Landfill posted:

I might have to get a new icon from the new Saga issue. That was some drat good Lying Cat

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
That is a very good Lying Cat. Thank you

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
While reading this week's Saga I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and I was not disappointed. Also I wonder who arrived on the Robot planet to tell the King Robot who killed IV?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The_Other posted:

While reading this week's Saga I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and I was not disappointed. Also I wonder who arrived on the Robot planet to tell the King Robot who killed IV?

His note at the end apologizing about yes it’s bleak but I was stuck at home for a year doing nothing but watching the Cleveland Indians play gave me a pretty good laugh

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

I caught up on the last two issues of Love & Rockets and like-- I think the Tonta stuff is great, I love it, the story with her and Maggie on the beach was fantastic, but I feel like Beto has completely just lost me. I feel like all of the Fritz stuff has been kind of a decline but I was surprised to find myself at the point where I went from skimming to just skipping his pages. Does anyone want to take a stab at a defense of his recent work? I don't want to dislike it, I just can't find my way in at all.

I'm with you. Beto's work really went downhill after his Luba in America, and the Fritz stuff is just unreadable. It's a shame, since his Palomar stuff was on par with Jaime's best work. Beto's cartooning has also suffered a lot.

Hell, at this point I'd prefer Mario's stories to his.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Something Is Killing the Children is quite good. I can see why the buzz.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Small update on Uber from Gillen's newsletter. (Not really news.)

quote:

2022 Uber update

I talked to William at Avatar at the start of the year, to check in on the plans going forward. Basically, they’re concentrating on things other than new publication this year – Avatar are a small company, and there’s a whole lot of things they do which demands time.

This means there will be no Uber in 2022.

Sorry it’s not better news.

I understand frustration. Uber is Avatar’s property, so all this is outside my control. I’m still committed to the last four issues, whenever their schedule allows. There are plans of how it will happen, so I’m optimistic it will be published eventually. I just don’t know when.

Fingers crossed for better news in 2023.
:(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Small update on Uber from Gillen's newsletter. (Not really news.)

:(

For fucks sake

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah he said as much (aside from the commitment to finish) a few months after the last issue got published. It's still too bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1508875029697609728?s=21&t=vUrLQKqtl0UZt9-oD3pCtg

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1508875595165306882?s=21&t=nGlZyQoWTzdlTi-pA5lMew

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That reminds me that I still need to finish the last few issues of Sex Criminals.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
A friend of mine got me to start reading Radiant Black. I devoured everything from the series in a day, plus the crossover issue (Supermassive) and the two side series (Radiant Red and Rogue Sun).

I am so interested in what their plan is with this series. I dig it so far, and it touches so much of what I loved as a kid (Power Rangers) that it hits the nostalgia button hard even though it’s not fully that.

Shame that I really can’t stand the art in Radiant Red though.

Looking forward to the fall when Inferno Girl Red comes out. Apparently it’s delayed due to the artist having a severe wrist injury.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh hey, this week's Astro City isn't a one-shot, it's the start of a new ongoing! And Arrowsmith's back! And Busiek has some GNs on the way from Image! Hope he's able to keep up this pace.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been meaning to check out Radiant Black, and Astro City too (for a long time)! Kurt seems like a cool cat, and I dug his Conan run.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I miss Autumnlands so drat much. Hope he gets back to it eventually.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Terminus posted:

I miss Autumnlands so drat much. Hope he gets back to it eventually.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1511088486060740609?t=b7mXf9KQZFXJUxKi-MkFCQ&s=19

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Wasn't expecting such a quick response to a post he definitely didn't see but hell yeah! Looks like there's some love for Radiant Black on this page so maybe I'll start reading that while I wait.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Just hook it to my veins!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That looks incredible and I've never heard of it so I'm guessing I'll be picking that up in June.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I final broke down and added that to my list as well. I do not like / hate wrestling, but Daniel Warren Johnson is amazing. Mutter Falcon might be my favorite short series, and I’m buying that hardcover whenever it comes out.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Animal Castle is real good, would make a great don bluth movie to terrorize children with

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

Animal Castle is real good, would make a great don bluth movie to terrorize children with

I've been enjoying it/made anxious by it too.

I picked up the first volume of The Wrong Earth recently and it's pretty fun. The basic concept is what if Adam West Batman and Cesar Romero Joker traded universes with Christian Bale Batman and Heath Ledger Joker. Hilarity, of course, ensues.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New Blacksad is out and it's part one in a trilogy:toot: Looking forward to the next album coming in about two years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

New Blacksad is out and it's part one in a trilogy:toot: Looking forward to the next album coming in about two years.

According to Amazon it's a four part series, there's a print edition of parts 1 and 2 coming in July and parts 3 and 4 are due next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

We'll see. I would be pretty impressed if they managed that considering it took ten years to release five albums.