Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncgVwgV4KQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this man has a gift, shame it's gonna kill him but drat if it's not entertaining

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ror posted:

one long sandwich please

It's for making a landgång (gangway, in the maritime sense) sandwich.

The politer version of the Swedish smörgåstårta

This one has roast beef, potato salad, brie, meatballs, ham and cheese. Usually there's a bunch of gravlax with mustard sauce in one end.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My mother used to ask for bread sliced that way and then make cute little pinwheel sandwiches for our birthday parties. She said it was really easy, and kids loved it, and parents went OH MY GOD IT LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH WORK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrNemo posted:

HP is basically American steak sauce with tamarind added. I've seen it used as replacement ingredient in BBQ sauce recipes so it doesn't seem ridiculous to use it. Adds the same kind of tangy, fruity flavour.

It's just funny because tamarind sounds interesting, and saying you can substitute the most basic brown sauce robs it of the mystique a bit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrNemo posted:

Debatable, the modern variety was certainly pretty unpopular when they first adopted it and people complained it didn't taste like banana but it was also a wholly new flavor with an outer appearance that was the same so it's entirely possible it was just a while generation dealing with something that didn't meet expectations. It's entirely possible if someone reversed the switch tomorrow everyone would be complaining about how bananas don't taste right any more in the same way.

Unless there are people who can get hold of Gros Michel's and say they're inherently better (with the obvious bias that people tend to like rare things or different ones) then I guess we could settle it.

That is a totally achievable Goon Project(tm). Gros Michel aren't extinct, they are just rare and expensive. Like $15-20 per banana expensive.

https://miamifruit.org/products/gros-michel-banana-box-pre-order

quote:

This candy-flavored banana is out of this world in sweetness.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gros Michel is the reason "banana" flavoured candies don't taste like bananas, no?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No, it's a myth. Banana candy just happens to use one cheap compound that is also supposedly somewhat more pronounced in Gros Michel. It isn't supposed to taste like it, and it doesn't, it's just the cheapest way to make something vaguely banana-like.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

IT'S TIME

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

steinrokkan posted:

No, it's a myth. Banana candy just happens to use one cheap compound that is also supposedly somewhat more pronounced in Gros Michel. It isn't supposed to taste like it, and it doesn't, it's just the cheapest way to make something vaguely banana-like.

It's isoamyl acetate, which is produced by yeast fermenting sugars, which makes it both cheap as hell (it just costs sugar, and sugar means corn, so it's practically free in the US) and makes it a "natural flavor"

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

more falafel please posted:

It's isoamyl acetate, which is produced by yeast fermenting sugars, which makes it both cheap as hell (it just costs sugar, and sugar means corn, so it's practically free in the US) and makes it a "natural flavor"

drat so that's why any time I've brewed Belgian beers it smells like bananas. I assume it's a specific type of yeast that produces more of it?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

drat so that's why any time I've brewed Belgian beers it smells like bananas. I assume it's a specific type of yeast that produces more of it?

Yeah, some strains (especially Belgian abbey strains and Hefeweizen strains) is selected for it, but basically all yeast can make it, especially at higher temperatures.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Isn’t HP sauce basically thickened Worcestershire?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait. Prawns and Shrimp are not the same thing?!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Wait. Prawns and Shrimp are not the same thing?!

They are

Regionally

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mayonnaise makes for one of the best cake ingredients, so I'm not prepared to dismiss this out of hand

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mayonnaise makes for one of the best cake ingredients, so I'm not prepared to dismiss this out of hand

Yeah because eggs and oil are pretty standard.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

brb making a patriotic jell-o casserole with berry blue, strawberry banana, and creamy potato soup

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mmm caramel custard.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ulmont posted:

Yeah because eggs and oil are pretty standard.

Oh my God.

I need to find a recipe they contains both butter and oil, so I can cream together the sugar and butter, and also cream together the eggs and oil, then bake a cake. Big ol' creamy cake party in Bighead's house.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BigHead posted:

Oh my God.

I need to find a recipe they contains both butter and oil, so I can cream together the sugar and butter, and also cream together the eggs and oil, then bake a cake. Big ol' creamy cake party in Bighead's house.
Big ol' cream pie party would also be a lot of fun :heysexy:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

more falafel please posted:

We did synthesizing it in A level chemistry, profoundly unpleasant chemical, is to banana what glacial ethanoic acid is to vinegar, your nose basically turns off if you get a good whiff of it, like someone set off a banana based explosive in your nostril.

Also I think a major component in synthetic pear flavour too, just mixed with different things and in different concentrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

profoundly unpleasant chemical

Mods, please

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

We did synthesizing it in A level chemistry, profoundly unpleasant chemical, is to banana what glacial ethanoic acid is to vinegar, your nose basically turns off if you get a good whiff of it, like someone set off a banana based explosive in your nostril.

Also I think a major component in synthetic pear flavour too, just mixed with different things and in different concentrations.

Every bee in the city perks up their segmented antennae.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Ground beef with macaroni cube.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Ground beef with macaroni cube.

Resistance is Fusilli

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Bloop posted:

Worst lobster, but still good because it's lobster

No claws like an idiot though

Scarodactyl posted:

Thst's not to be confused with the langouste aka the spiny lobster, ehich due to its lack of lsrge claws is a shame to all involved.

Pages late, but check out these fools in the pockets of the New England lobster-lobby. Caribbean spiny lobster and the culinarily-rare ridged slipper lobster are the superior lobsters:

:hai:

I’m impatiently waiting for my chance to get some pacific spiny lobsters to compare them to.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They're oversized shrimps. No claws! No honor!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Caribbean spiny lobster and the culinarily-rare ridged slipper lobster are the superior lobsters

Hahaha good one

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
as they say, the claw is the law!!!

I won't respect a clawless lobster.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Those buns look way too big for me.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

sexpig by night posted:

It's not their fault they lack claws though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kyte posted:

It's not their fault they lack claws though.

They know what they did

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

can't be tip-top without the snip-snop

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

A bunch of posts by people who haven't eaten Moreton Bay bugs or Balmain bugs ITT

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

sexpig by night posted:

This is 20 years old but I still laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

McSpergin posted:

A bunch of posts by people who haven't eaten Moreton Bay bugs or Balmain bugs ITT

Would if I made it off the plane and into the ocean without something in Australia murdering me.

What kinda rules do ya’ll have about taking them?