Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pocket Firmware Update

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/1.0A

quote:

GB: Bootstrap fix (LSDJ)
GBC: Noise channel fix (Shantae)
GB/C: Pitch issue on square 1/2 fixed
GBC: Slight timing changes
GBA: Slight timing changes (Napoleon)
GBA: Improved Original Display Mode
GG: Added region switch
GB Studio: Save fix with Force GB Mode
System: Rare controller / dpad stops working issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Funny the SD2SP2 should come up because i got my Xeno modded Gamecube out after a year of storage and now my SD2SP2 isn’t recognized. It booted up correctly the first time but since then it won’t even show it to me as an option in Swiss.

I’ve got another one ordered, but is this a common thing? I’ve checked the SD card on my computer and it’s ok, reflowed the solder on thr board and wiggled it around a bit but nothing seems to make it show up. Hopefully a bad capacitor or something? It’s not a very complicated device so i hope the issue isn’t on the Gamecube side.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
is mizzurna falls stable? I remember reading the script translator saying it was ported improperly but haven’t checked on it since

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Funny the SD2SP2 should come up because i got my Xeno modded Gamecube out after a year of storage and now my SD2SP2 isn’t recognized. It booted up correctly the first time but since then it won’t even show it to me as an option in Swiss.

I’ve got another one ordered, but is this a common thing? I’ve checked the SD card on my computer and it’s ok, reflowed the solder on thr board and wiggled it around a bit but nothing seems to make it show up. Hopefully a bad capacitor or something? It’s not a very complicated device so i hope the issue isn’t on the Gamecube side.

I had issues with physical connection, personally. It's kind of a finicky port and the SD2SP2 I had was slightly too narrow. I just ended up going back to my memory card one. I've read of people adding a bit of solder to the pads and that helping, but I'd be leery of bending the pins.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any good widescreen hacks for GameCube games that don’t normally support it? This would be via Nintendont, which can force widescreen, but it obviously breaks some games.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

is mizzurna falls stable? I remember reading the script translator saying it was ported improperly but haven’t checked on it since

Short answer, it's playable but it's recommended to play in an emulator and use save states/rewind. Save frequently if you're using real hardware. Longer answer, there were two romhacks released right around the same time of each other this year, both based on Evie's translation. Those authors got together in March/April with the intention of merging their work and fixing outstanding issues, but I don't think there's been any outward signs of progress since May or June or so. Each kind of has its pros and cons right now.
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6027/
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=32523.0

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there any good widescreen hacks for GameCube games that don’t normally support it? This would be via Nintendont, which can force widescreen, but it obviously breaks some games.

I've had luck just grabbing the ones off the Dolphin Emulator wiki for various games (there's ones on many of the individual wiki pages for games) and using them with Swiss.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gourdcaptain posted:

I've had luck just grabbing the ones off the Dolphin Emulator wiki for various games (there's ones on many of the individual wiki pages for games) and using them with Swiss.

What’s Swiss? Does it work with Nintendont?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Swiss is a homebrew and ISO launcher for the Gamecube. Nintendont as I understand it, is a similar app but intended to run on the Wii and Wii U.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Swiss is a GameCube homebrew for launching games and homebrew off various devices (original discs, SD cards), and it lets you apply Gecko Codes or other mods to games in the process. Swiss is also pretty much GameCube hardware only for practical purposes. They'll almost certainly work with Nintendont using its cheat code support, but I haven't tried them there.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Echophonic posted:

I had issues with physical connection, personally. It's kind of a finicky port and the SD2SP2 I had was slightly too narrow. I just ended up going back to my memory card one. I've read of people adding a bit of solder to the pads and that helping, but I'd be leery of bending the pins.

I agree that it's finnicky getting it to fit correctly. I didn't realize that the memory card adapters worked just as well, for some reason I thought they were more limited than the SD2SP2. I cancelled my SD2SP2 order and I'll try out the memory card instead.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I agree that it's finnicky getting it to fit correctly. I didn't realize that the memory card adapters worked just as well, for some reason I thought they were more limited than the SD2SP2. I cancelled my SD2SP2 order and I'll try out the memory card instead.

As far as I know, the memory card and the serial bus are the same speed. It's not like it matters, since you're only really going to be running GBI (since it has configs to save) and the in-game-reset off of it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Apologies if this is not the right place, but I'm not sure where would be better:

I keep running into an issue where Dreamcast games I load onto my RG552 boot to the Dreamcast BIOS/System menu instead of into the game.

The games were originally sets of BIN/CUE files that I converted to CHD files. I couldn't figure out how to run the BIN/CUE files, so converting them to CHD seemed like the right idea, since the handful of Dreamcast games the RG552 came with were already in CHD format and work fine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Your Famicom fact for the day: Guevara (a.k.a. Guerrilla War) has a secret second game hidden inside it.

The main game is really great, an absolute blast of a top down shooter and what the Ikari games on the Famicom should have been. However, on the screen where you indicate how many people are playing, you can hold A and B on controller one and press start. That takes you to a stage select and you can pick the difficulty level. Leave it at easy, set it to stage five, and then hold A, B, and Up on both controllers and press start on controller one. That fires off a port of Sasuke vs. Commander, SNK's first arcade game which was basically Space Invaders with ninja.

Sadly, it is not a full featured port. You have one life and go back to the Guevara title screen when you die, you don't see your score, there's no attract mode so it just starts as soon as you hit start. But it's really cool that it's in there at all. This might be the single greatest Easter egg on the Famicom.

Also, not in the NES version. You're out of luck on that one.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Annath posted:

Apologies if this is not the right place, but I'm not sure where would be better:

I keep running into an issue where Dreamcast games I load onto my RG552 boot to the Dreamcast BIOS/System menu instead of into the game.

The games were originally sets of BIN/CUE files that I converted to CHD files. I couldn't figure out how to run the BIN/CUE files, so converting them to CHD seemed like the right idea, since the handful of Dreamcast games the RG552 came with were already in CHD format and work fine.

Dunno how left field this might be but doing the same thing on a RetroPie through Redream, I needed to use GDI files and their version of chdman includes a gdi>chd option. If I remember correctly the cue files weren't correctly tracking the bins I had, which is why this was happening to me. Might be worth a look

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

loopsheloop posted:

Dunno how left field this might be but doing the same thing on a RetroPie through Redream, I needed to use GDI files and their version of chdman includes a gdi>chd option. If I remember correctly the cue files weren't correctly tracking the bins I had, which is why this was happening to me. Might be worth a look

I ended up just dumping all the bin/cue files into the dreamcast folder on the SD card, and that worked like a charm lol.

Only thing I'm concerned about now is the multi-disc game(s). Specifically Skies of Arcadia. Doesn't RetroArch create a separate memory card for each game? So if it thinks "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" are different games, then it won't see the save data?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Annath posted:

Doesn't RetroArch create a separate memory card for each game? So if it thinks "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" are different games, then it won't see the save data?

No, it looks like flycast just uses 4 global VMU files, at least from what I can glean off the libretro wiki

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is it possible for an SMDB to contain something that just..doesn't exist? There's a single thing in the most recent one that was added yesterday, but I cannot find anyone anywhere at any length talking about a dump of it.

code:
a749cf04771966c3aaf4a711910ac846ce38ab439c9dd36663b6cff827ad4570	EverDrive GBA/5 Tools & Service Test Carts/GBA Jukebox (USA).gba	b15074c114b7e9843180341b0b68faddb72d9b2f	3c68616a3a2a29733bf1aacbebca01a9	f34b25f2	4194304
No links, obviously, but I'm so lost at how this can be in the database with a SHA256, SHA1, MD5, CRC32, a file name with appropriate region -- and a whole file size in total bytes -- BUT searching for any single one of them results in nothing. At all. I feel the same way I did when IGN did that Sonic in Smash April Fool's Day joke.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Also in general, if the core supports it, you can make an m3u playlist and it will load that memory card for all the discs. Handy for PlayStation, at least.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is it possible for an SMDB to contain something that just..doesn't exist? There's a single thing in the most recent one that was added yesterday, but I cannot find anyone anywhere at any length talking about a dump of it.

code:
a749cf04771966c3aaf4a711910ac846ce38ab439c9dd36663b6cff827ad4570	EverDrive GBA/5 Tools & Service Test Carts/GBA Jukebox (USA).gba	b15074c114b7e9843180341b0b68faddb72d9b2f	3c68616a3a2a29733bf1aacbebca01a9	f34b25f2	4194304
No links, obviously, but I'm so lost at how this can be in the database with a SHA256, SHA1, MD5, CRC32, a file name with appropriate region -- and a whole file size in total bytes -- BUT searching for any single one of them results in nothing. At all. I feel the same way I did when IGN did that Sonic in Smash April Fool's Day joke.

Yeah there's not much information about that with a general web search. But if you know where to go, that dump is in the "no-intro romsets (2022)" for GBA.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Game Boy Game Club rides again

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Manky posted:

Yeah there's not much information about that with a general web search. But if you know where to go, that dump is in the "no-intro romsets (2022)" for GBA.

You've helped me tremendously two days in a row. Thank you.

Mode 7 posted:

The Game Boy Game Club rides again

I also hope everyone takes part in this. Personally think it's really cool to have a book club of sorts for a bunch of goons playing old video games.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

LODGE NORTH posted:

code:

I've definitely caught some oddities in these databases. A big one is there are discrepancies with what it identifies as a Ufouria prototype across a few of the databases which caused a bit of stir because uncovering a new prototype of that game would be kind of a big deal in some circles. But after a lot of digging the best we could figure was it was either a complete mislabel/mistake, or some header weirdness like NES 2.0, though trying many permutations could never produce the same hash or find it in any of the various sources for it out there.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The terrorists in Nuclear Dawn/Chase the Express want 20 billion dollars?!! Thats outrageous, even with the threat of apocalypse.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

LODGE NORTH posted:

code:

Contact whoever checked it in to git and ask?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SmiteOfHand posted:

I've definitely caught some oddities in these databases. A big one is there are discrepancies with what it identifies as a Ufouria prototype across a few of the databases which caused a bit of stir because uncovering a new prototype of that game would be kind of a big deal in some circles. But after a lot of digging the best we could figure was it was either a complete mislabel/mistake, or some header weirdness like NES 2.0, though trying many permutations could never produce the same hash or find it in any of the various sources for it out there.

Yeah, any community maintained list is going to get errors. To use a recent example for me, there's a missing revision of Tetris and it's the oldest one. Now these revisions are just changes to the rights screen because the legal situation was weird, but they are different ROM revisions. The rom listed as the oldest says Tetris is licensed by Tengen, but that's not the oldest release since BPS didn't license the game from Tengen originally...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Question about Retro Achievements:

Does my device have to be online at the time the achievement is triggered to count? Or does the emulator (retroarch) log the achievements to upload when connectivity is restored?

The RG552 seems to only support saving 1 wifi connection, so it'd make sense for it to be my home connection, but that means I'm "offline" everywhere else.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Your Famicom fact for the day: Guevara (a.k.a. Guerrilla War) has a secret second game hidden inside it.

The main game is really great, an absolute blast of a top down shooter and what the Ikari games on the Famicom should have been. However, on the screen where you indicate how many people are playing, you can hold A and B on controller one and press start. That takes you to a stage select and you can pick the difficulty level. Leave it at easy, set it to stage five, and then hold A, B, and Up on both controllers and press start on controller one. That fires off a port of Sasuke vs. Commander, SNK's first arcade game which was basically Space Invaders with ninja.

Sadly, it is not a full featured port. You have one life and go back to the Guevara title screen when you die, you don't see your score, there's no attract mode so it just starts as soon as you hit start. But it's really cool that it's in there at all. This might be the single greatest Easter egg on the Famicom.

Also, not in the NES version. You're out of luck on that one.
So the story goes, the programmer of Famicom Guevara was asked to code the Famicom version in just two months and only took the job on the condition that he could slip Sasuke vs. Commander in on the side.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Re: git stuff, I have a copy of Xeno Crisis for Gensis (CIB w/ cart etc). In my laziness, I want to put the ROM on an Everdrive (since ya know that's easier than walking to the game shelf).

I checked to see which is the "right" directory to put the ROM for that hardware database script (which is "Unlicensed A-Z"), stumbled across Issue 518:

quote:

we've decided to exclude games from active indie studios (except public demos and open-source games).

Which honestly seems wise, good, etc. That git issue lists 3 of the more popular/good recent games. Anyhow i decided to search Archive.org for them and yep, they're there.

We've discussed ROMs being on archive.org many times, which to me makes sense for 20+ year old dead consoles. Pretty surprised they're there for currently sold active projects however, kinda sucks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can't believe there still isn't a dump of Paprium. It's being worked on, afaik, but drat. Though honestly I do like that rule for excepting active indies, it just does bother me when devs won't sell ROMs. I bought my XenoCrisis.bin and .gdi and I have zero regrets. But if the only way to play Paprium is to give $200 to kickstarter to give to a super sketchy guy, well...

LODGE NORTH posted:

You've helped me tremendously two days in a row. Thank you.

You're really welcome!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't Paprium weird where the cart doesn't work on third party consoles? Maybe the rom is weird like that as well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Paprium doesn't even work with all official Genesis models.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Azubah posted:

Isn't Paprium weird where the cart doesn't work on third party consoles? Maybe the rom is weird like that as well.

Oh, the DEVELOPER is weird like that.
https://twitter.com/The_Hpman/status/1449810289831071748?t=Yedvz1LoWG-dC1NofGjJag&s=19

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i will never stop loling at retro software and hardware creators deliberately sabotaging their projects out of paranoia and spite

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 31, 2021

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

Question about Retro Achievements:

Does my device have to be online at the time the achievement is triggered to count? Or does the emulator (retroarch) log the achievements to upload when connectivity is restored?

The RG552 seems to only support saving 1 wifi connection, so it'd make sense for it to be my home connection, but that means I'm "offline" everywhere else.

I found my answer, the answer is "no". The system monitors for achievements not already achieved at launch, and sends data on earned ones to the server when they are earned. If offline, the system can't (or wont by design) log achievements for upload when reconnected, so when you next launch the game, it scrapes the server, sees there isn't a record of X achievement, and continues to monitor for it.

Which sucks because many of my games have achievements for defeating X boss, so are not repeatable without restarting the game :saddowns:

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
How come the PS2 is so behind every other system when it comes to like HDMI mods and actual odes?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Azubah posted:

With an FPGA on the cart and I'm assuming it's really just running on that and piping video to the Genesis or something?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

How come the PS2 is so behind every other system when it comes to like HDMI mods and actual odes?

No clue about the former, the fact that you can run games off a harddrive has probably limited anyone's interest in developing an ODE.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

aperfectcirclefan posted:

At least in the case of ODE's, the ability to run software off a hard drive has reduced the drive to do it. The games that have trouble running off a hard drive would likely have the same problems off of an ODE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think YPbPr video transcodes to HDMI pretty seamlessly so there's not that much need for a dedicated PS2 HDMI solution, I think the real thing the PS2 needs is a good de-interlacer for modern displays, which I think we're finally at the point where solutions like that are available.