Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

that's a big rear end rat shack!

It's funny because my girls all stay up top anyway despite spending what we did for the big rat shack. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Also if you're cute enough you get a big condo

true life lesson

Apr 7, 2003

Midjack posted:

how could you give your own rat the comfy hoodie, tori you brother?!

glad you're all okay.

We've been diversifying! Kate fell in love with the rats and spends more time caring for them than I do at this point.

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Those are some adorable rats. Do you still have the cats as well? How are they getting along?

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Those are some adorable rats. Do you still have the cats as well? How are they getting along?

I got one of my rats killed early on because I was a dumbass. Basically, my big tom was fine with my rats until he wanted food and I left the top off the cage. He jumped in and killed my rat Lucy because I didn't feed him fast enough.

He's a cat and I can't penalize him for being a cat. That death was my fault.

You can't keep rats alone so after some soul searching we got Ethel a new friend and a more secure cage and it's been fine so far.

I spent nine hours putting chicken wire panels on the cage to keep them from being hurt by the cats or escaping. It's worked out so far. They prefer sitting on our shoulders to the cage. They're very sweet.

Apr 7, 2003

Domestic rats live a maximum of two years but it really sucks to look at a death and think, "I did this, I hosed up and I killed this sweet thing."

It really, really loving sucks.

Apr 7, 2003

This is the rat I got killed through complacency, and it sucks poo poo, and I will absolutely make sure it never happens again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
dope rats mang

Apr 7, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

dope rats mang

always be rattin'

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm sorry you had to learn that cats will kill rodents this way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had rats as a kid and can confirm that they are p cool though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"maximum of two years" is not true. average is three

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm sorry you had to learn that cats will kill rodents this way

Thing is, they absolutely did not give a gently caress about my rats until I left one of them in a place (two weeks in) to act spitefully about not being fed on time.

Outside of that situation my cats absolutely did not and do not care about my rats.

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

"maximum of two years" is not true. average is three

I hope you're right, I buried one already and I love the two we've got right now and want to spend as much time with them as possible.

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you get a snake, do NOT let them access each other. the snake might not care if it isn't hungry or is too cold, but when it gets hungry it may eat the rat!

vice versa also applies. keep em separated

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I hope you're right, I buried one already and I love the two we've got right now and want to spend as much time with them as possible.

you should read up on caring for rats. a good book will have tips for things like "how long rats live" and "whether you should leave the top off a cage when cats are around (or in general)"

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

you should read up on caring for rats. a good book will have tips for things like "how long rats live" and "whether you should leave the top off a cage when cats are around (or in general)"

Yeah, I know what I hosed up already, you really don't need to rub it in.

fwiw the cage was seven feet off the ground, I really didn't expect my dickhead cat to figure out how to get up there.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Yeah, I know what I hosed up already, you really don't need to rub it in.

ok captain never antagonizes anyone for slight faults historically

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

ok captain never antagonizes anyone for slight faults historically

He's right, which is why I'm irritated

Apr 7, 2003

I'm used to being right 100% of the time, so when someone else is right it really bothers me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

id think you were sincere if you hadn't said that dumb poo poo about them living a maximum of two years

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

id think you were sincere if you hadn't said that dumb poo poo about them living a maximum of two years

Don't be a fuckin' dingdong, two years is an average for domestic rats.

Like, I'm posting videos of my wife being delighted about one of my rats bruxing in contact with her, what the gently caress makes you think I'm not being sincere

Apr 7, 2003

Me: "Here are my rats, I love them, they're great. Here's my wife loving our rats."
Internet guy: "You misquoted their lifespan. Clearly not sincere"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it was cute

Apr 7, 2003

For real, don't be a dipshit rear end in a top hat.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Don't be a fuckin' dingdong, two years is an average for domestic rats.

i mean, maybe in your household but...

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

it was cute

They're incredibly sweet and theres a lot to be learned from how precious and wonderful even reviled lives are.

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean, maybe in your household but...

For real dude, just be nice and be done with it, there's no reason to turn this into an argument.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm not arguing, i'm making fun of you

although maybe this counts as arguing about if i'm arguing oh no!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

They're incredibly sweet and theres a lot to be learned from how precious and wonderful even reviled lives are.

i hate that my dog is a SUPER ratter

he's got like 3 in the back yard so far and 1 possum.

dog is going to dog and yeah, cats are no different, rats are adorable little prey animals

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm not arguing, i'm making fun of you

I'm telling you, and this thread, about something that brings me joy and makes me happy to be alive.

Please think about your post in that light.

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

i hate that my dog is a SUPER ratter

he's got like 3 in the back yard so far and 1 possum.

dog is going to dog and yeah, cats are no different, rats are adorable little prey animals

Rats are stupid fuckin smart, read all of this

https://elifesciences.org/articles/54020

They somehow communicate to each other how to avoid poison bait.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
oh i know they are

its just the kind of thing i cannot have because of other blocking decisions like Giant Pit Bull Boxer Lab Mutt Dog

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rats own. boy rats own because they are happy to chill in your hoodie while you read. girl rats own because they like to climb and play with you

at least that's how it went with my rats and it seems to be p common

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I had pet gerbils as a kid. They're pretty stupid but very cute, and they are desert animals that don't pee very much, so as long as you keep their aquarium clean they don't smell bad.

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

rats own. boy rats own because they are happy to chill in your hoodie while you read. girl rats own because they like to climb and play with you

at least that's how it went with my rats and it seems to be p common

I avoided boy rats because every 100th rat will get balls syndrome and get violent. All my rats are girls and it's been pretty good so far.

And, like you, I have rats now because I had them as a kid. And it's been incredibly rewarding and good for my mental health to have them now. They're so incredibly sweet and socially benign.

They're basically tiny dogs. I love them so much.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

but yeah, i absolutely do not want to clean rat cages or spend energy keeping poodle jones from carrying a rat around in his mouth. it'd be fine-ish if he was in golden retriever mode, but if the poodle kicked in that'd be bad

i low key hope that little jones will decide he wants a pet rat in the future tho. gonna have him read mrs frisby at the first opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

or spend energy keeping poodle jones from carrying a rat around in his mouth. i

That's what fuckin' slays me, my older cat is a dick and I ignored him for ten minutes and he jumped into the cage he didn't care about for two weeks, grabbed my rat, and broke her neck.

I'm not going to hurt him because he's a cat and that's his purpose, but gently caress that hurt to see.