Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Trust only your respirator

Libera te tutemet ex sars-cov-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
doomery would be talking about how the hospital system can't handle this perpetual barrage of desperately sick patients dying constantly and quality of care for all other treatments will decrease dramatically at a time when everyone is simultaneously getting sicker. plus the people who work in hospitals are trained professionals and can't just be replaced, and they'll be the ones most at risk of catching the disease. so now you have people directly dying of the pandemic, dying of long term negative health effects caused by contracting the disease, plus people dying of other unrelated causes that used to not be fatal. just massive death everywhere at a scale hither fore undreamt of.

all these dead people had jobs too, possibly ones that they were skilled at, so industries lose millions of collective years of learned knowledge and will then become less efficient or more prone to accidents and catastrophic disasters. the guy who really knew the intricacies of how to operate that chemical refinery died or was incapacitated, and now it exploded because some slightly brain damaged new guy turned the wrong value at the wrong time. american industry becomes even less competitive globally at a time when our domestic resources are dwindling and our financial system is being exposed as an enormous fraud. this is how empires collapse. the american empire is on the verge of collapse. hows that for loving doomery

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Here's to another year of dumb bullshit and pointless death. :toot:

Stay safe.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
happy loving new year

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I think the worst case scenario dudes in the summer of 2020 were all "700K dead" and everyone was all "lol". haha. teeheeeeeeee

I think in April I posted that initial American Hospital Assn estimate of 480,000 and people thought no way

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bad time to be an American or a Uighur

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Utilization is worse right now system wide than it was last year. you can't compare urban vs rural since the urban hospitals are getting southern transfers. It ain't good.

Here's a picture of me from ten years ago just chillin

hang in there

Stereotype posted:

happy loving new year

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

the pandemic respiratory virus doesn't confer long lasting immunity, so everyone will keep catching it again and again and again season after season after season. it also causes long duration hypoxia during the symptomatic phase of the infection which damages organs, including the brain, and long term it causes chronic hypercoagulation which increases the risks for cardiovascular events such as strokes or heart attacks or blood clots. these things get worse every time you catch it, so not only are you sick as hell twice a year you're also recovering to a worse and worse starting point. the thing also just straight up kills you if you haven't gotten a vaccine, which you apparently need to get three to four times a year and doesn't prevent you from getting infected. it is also the most infectious disease ever observed and is airborne, so the only real method you have to protect yourself is either continuous high-quality mask adherence or complete social avoidance, most effectively a combination of both. this is apparently illegal in a bunch of states and also can get you fired.

that about sum it up? that's not even doomery, that's just a description of reality.

Stereotype posted:

happy loving new year
lol yeah might as well be going into 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

There was a early case of a diabetic man in his forties who died due to clot induced bowel ischemia due to covid-19.

I'd like to post it here, but I can't find it because this pathology has become so common that there are hundreds of cases of this

https://www.kjg.or.kr/journal/view.html?doi=10.4166/kjg.2020.76.3.164

yeah my thoracic vascular surgeon friend is saying that they used to treat pretty much only old lifetime chain-smokers, but now suddenly they are also getting a ton of covid "survivors."

zone
Dec 6, 2016
bad time to be anyone that isn't obscenely rich or can't afford to hit the bricks, really

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
one more day god damnit

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Was it from this thread I saw someone ask if airlines would be checking pilots for brain fog from Covid?

What else is that going to impact lol.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7043999713166642438

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Also really weird seeing people hoping omicron defeats chinas zero Covid policy.

Wishing mass death happens in the only country taking Covid seriously so they can feel better about their own lovely country.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

:crackping:

you should see this purely anecdotal thing from the nurses too. I hope you stay safe.

https://twitter.com/egregirls/status/1476712267328729090
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1476799723080146945

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

Every state for themselves. Survival of the fit tested

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Raccooon posted:

Was it from this thread I saw someone ask if airlines would be checking pilots for brain fog from Covid?

anyone who works at a skilled job that can cause downstream danger or death. If you can gently caress up and hurt somebody at your job, and you need concentration not to, bad news for them

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Raccooon posted:

My girlfriend asked me where I get my information from.

Background is she works for a company that does disaster modeling for insurance companies and the things I have told her from this thread have been more accurate than them.

Don't know what to tell her because she isn't uh as radical in her thinking as the people here and not sure how to expose her to that yet.

just say you follow a lot of virologists and epidemiologists on Twitter, which is effectively true

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Stereotype posted:

we aren’t doomery enough actually

you were talking about a scenario where we run out of healthy people to bury the dead

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

We'll just have the national guard do everything, that'll defeat this mild virus

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

CODChimera posted:

you were talking about a scenario where we run out of healthy people to bury the dead

there will be rotting corpses in the street because there are no freezer trucks left

eric-crackl ping is fed up!!!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Raccooon posted:

I'll joker laugh if I ever hear of a plane crashing because its pilots had covid brain or died at the controls and then probably cry at how stupid things got and will get even more

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

This is great! All republican states are 100% Republicans, and nobody whose family dies will blame the administration they died under! why aren’t more people running on a program of social murder?

Maybe they will now?
Dems had their brains broken by January 6th.

I didn't realize it until after I re-listened to this interview about eve online, and good squad's actions.
https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/the-winner-of-eve-online-s-bloody-b-r5rb-conflict/2970-16957/free-podcast

The intro line is amazing.

quote:

It's like hitting somebody's capital.
If you're invading America, you don't attack Washington DC first
If you did, that would be called a head-shot attempt or decapitation strike or something.
And usually those backfire,
you don't normally do that because the enemy has all their strength there
They usually defend successfully and then their moral is increased.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 31, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

dont be fooled you will never achieve a seal as good as an aura or similar n95 with an ear loop kn95
the truth
i was all aboard on kf94s for a solid year or so
but auras (if you're not a big faced person) seal just like my half-mask 3m secure click
they're still great masks, but ear loops + seal may not be perfect, changes things

anyway with how things is goin, i may just go full face 3m ff-403 at some point

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Sorry we got to fire you because your brain is too stupid now from Covid.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

that's a significantly more plausible and defensible prediction than covid just going away on its own

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

yea the doomer threads in cspam are all extremely grim but can be terrifyingly accurate. i can only deal with them in small doses, especially the climate change thread but this one is a necessity any time it looks like another wave's on the way

My covid strategy is read this thread enough to make myself mentally ill enough to protect myself from covid but not enough to have a psychotic break from reality. This thread helped me get toilet paper before the great tp crisis of 2019, snipe a vaccine shot right before delta hit, get a booster right before omicron was discovered, and buy a good supply of 3M auras right before everyone freaked out and they all sold out.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

there will be rotting corpses in the street because there are no freezer trucks left
currently -1C in my region, i don't see a problem
let_the_bodies_hit_the_floor.wav

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
It's like everyone forgot the mass graves in NY, you can bury a lot of people with just a few guys and a backhoe.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

KaptainKrunk posted:

This thread being the number one source of covid information in the entire world is actually loving insane what the gently caress
lol yeah
:theroni:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bullfrog posted:

just put me on the slow boat to china already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztQxUVkElI&t=411s
been listening to this the past 20 min, owns hard, thank you

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my covid strategy is to post the most fantastical outlandishly worst-case doomer predictions and then stare blankly forward with a perfectly straight face as i witness them all become reality one after another

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

CongoJack posted:

It's like everyone forgot the mass graves in NY, you can bury a lot of people with just a few guys and a backhoe.

plus we have machines and technology. you don't have to be very healthy to push a button!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-2WPo0yE9w

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Stereotype posted:

my covid strategy is to post the most fantastical outlandishly worst-case doomer predictions and then stare blankly forward with a perfectly straight face as i witness them all become reality one after another

keep up the fine work

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CongoJack posted:

actually that was a mass burial not mass graves, its completely different and fully normal/fine

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Stereotype posted:

I just try to imagine the dumbest thing that could happen and usually is pretty accurate.

Like people will probably say that a variant will be a natural vaccine and the problem will fix itself with no effort or sacrifice from anyone. A fantasy world where problems just fix themselves.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 31, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

CongoJack posted:

yeah sure, until those few guys and the backhoe operators all die of covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
going in to school tomorrow when no one is there to get all my stuff, hope I can actually get in

kinda sad about kids coming in to see my room barren and slowly understanding I’m not only not there, but I won’t be coming back…but also oh well

my final lesson, children: this is what peacing out of a dangerous situation looks like

I have thoughts about posting something to their Google classroom but, idk, probably not