Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

speng31b posted:

Yeah i mean it's just a race of uncontrolled spread vs population / time and resources (for this wave)

SARS1 when allowed to uncontrollably spread through a mouse population eventually evolved to a 100% mortality for infant mice after like 15 iterations.

Probably not foreboding at all that we have seen each new variant get better and better at hospitalizing children.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

oh thats interesting, do you just replace the filters for teargas/covid? like are they separate type cartridges?

biden's massive police force is going to gas mass demonstrators soon enough

I know people who were gassed inside their own apartments back during the cool zone days of 2020

Make sure to have some 3m 60923 cartridges on hand, and don't open them unless you really need them

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
being self conscious means gently caress all anymore when you know everything is not real

only your respirator is real

OK baizuo posted:

I know people who were gassed inside their own apartments back during the cool zone days of 2020

Make sure to have some 3m 60923 cartridges on hand, and don't open them unless you really need them

:toot: thank you, added to the shopping list

i still think about how the police kettled teenagers in a highway and just suffocated them with tear gas with no way to escape

actually a teen girl died from being suffocated from tear gas but that got lost in the avalanche

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 31, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Raccooon posted:

Then think about that most the of the people infected from this wave haven't even had enough time to show symptoms yet.

yeah, the largest increase in hospitalizations in a day was back on july 10th, 2020 with 7,667 people hospitalized from covid in a single day. right now we're getting just shy of 6000 per day and i think that's likely gonna increase quite a bit based on what's baked in from the last week. January is gonna be a really tough month for nurses and doctors

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
We need those adenovirus vaccine baits in the Applebee's

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/PleaseBeGneiss/status/1476687555240558592

wonder what changed between 2020 and 2021

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
One could say how theatrical the dems are, but when presented with the right opportunity they pounce on it like psychos.

Biden said "Fed can't do poo poo. Hey governors, go for it. You run the show now."
Basically staring at Florida,Texas and a hand full of other Republican run states.

The cold math equation now, is how many Republicans voters and Normal American Casualties get to die before something breaks and fed swoops into save day collects the living among the rubble.

Can't blame them. It's a real. "gently caress it. Give them what they want." moment.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 31, 2021

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Trump had a better response to Covid lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:capitalism:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hi

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Raccooon posted:

SARS1 when allowed to uncontrollably spread throw a mouse population eventually evolved to a 100% mortality for infant mice after like 15 iterations.

Probably not foreboding at all that we have seen each new variant get better and better at hospitalizing children.

I left off that basically all of the optimistic takes I've read are leaning heavily on the COVID pill treatment becoming a silver bullet after this wave subsides but before the next one can take off in earnest

I'm personally optimistic that can change things in the future but right now it's not looking great

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

CODChimera posted:

this thread is way too doomery to be accurate all the time

look bitchass, i don't want to be right. but if someone has to, im glad it's me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zugzwang posted:

Delta is significantly more severe than OG covid, right? Omicron being less severe than Delta to the point that it's comparable in severity to wildtype is still really bad, because wildtype is a nasty virus and Omicron will create a caseload that dwarfs that of its ancestor.

yea wildtype is a glass jaw, Alpha is retired, Delta is a knockout, and Omicron is the rope-a-dope

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Raccooon posted:

Trump had a better response to Covid lol

he didn't but he forced the Dems to pretend to be responsible

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
God drat PFC is back?! What the gently caress just happened to this past year?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

hard to say bc it hasn't been studied a ton but what little has been studied seems to indicate fairly minor psychoactive effects, it actually dials back the psychoactive effects of THC when combined together similar to the way CBD does. I haven't tried it in higher doses but in the 2-5mg range it mostly seems to create a light mood uplift along with an energy boost. also some preliminary evidence that it suppresses appetite which is why a lot of people call it "diet weed" or "weederall"

can i order 100g of distillate of it?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

he didn't but he forced the Dems to pretend to be responsible

Yeah its more that with him president Dems felt the need to at least take precautions. Now without him no one is.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

tiberion02 posted:

I literally still do not have a good reply to people who ask me where I get my news re:Covid, because I've said some previously-sounding-insane poo poo that has come true on account of reading this thread.

i tell people that i get my info from internet communists

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
People I know still act as apologists for the Dems and get really annoyed when I bring up how dire the covid situation is, lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

speng31b posted:

I left off that basically all of the optimistic takes I've read are leaning heavily on the COVID pill treatment becoming a silver bullet after this wave subsides but before the next one can take off in earnest

I'm personally optimistic that can change things in the future but right now it's not looking great

Didn't they say there's gonna be nowhere near enough Paxlovid to actually cover treating everyone who needs it lmao? because of how difficult it is to make?
And what's to say selection pressure won't make it go the way of Regeneron?

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Raccooon posted:

Yeah its more that with him president Dems felt the need to at least take precautions. Now without him no one is.

Nah that was just oppositional defiant disorder from Dems trying to get those sick twitter likes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

speng31b posted:

I have access to non-public numbers at 40 hospitals serving 13m people and it ain't great

speng31b
May 8, 2010

zone posted:

Didn't they say there's gonna be nowhere near enough Paxlovid to actually cover treating everyone who needs it lmao? because of how difficult it is to make?
And what's to say selection pressure won't make it go the way of Regeneron?

This is probably what will happen

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have access to non-public numbers at 40 hospitals serving 13m people and it ain't great

Not enough of it or it sucks?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:piss:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

jetz0r posted:

i tell people that i get my info from internet communists

My girlfriend asked me where I get my information from.

Background is she works for a company that does disaster modeling for insurance companies and the things I have told her from this thread have been more accurate than them.

Don't know what to tell her because she isn't uh as radical in her thinking as the people here and not sure how to expose her to that yet.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

And how often do yall reuse a 3m aura mask?

Apr 7, 2003

speng31b posted:

Not enough of it or it sucks?

Utilization is worse right now system wide than it was last year. you can't compare urban vs rural since the urban hospitals are getting southern transfers. It ain't good.

Here's a picture of me from ten years ago just chillin

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

this thread is way too doomery to be accurate all the time

we aren’t doomery enough actually

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

we aren’t doomery enough actually

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Raccooon posted:

My girlfriend asked me where I get my information from.

Background is she works for a company that does disaster modeling for insurance companies and the things I have told her from this thread have been more accurate than them.

Don't know what to tell her because she isn't uh as radical in her thinking as the people here and not sure how to expose her to that yet.

"If you wanna know, you gatta merry me first."

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Think I pushed her a little too far when I started talking about an endemic virus that causes brain damage everytime you catch it for the rest of your life. Saying early onset Alzheimers will probably be a thing more and more in the coming years didn't go over well.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 31, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

And how often do yall reuse a 3m aura mask?

i'm on my 3rd 9210 aura, with about 30-35 hours on the first two. I've also gone through about 40 3m 9502 masks, and they were each in the 30-40 hour range.

I tried the 9205 auras, and those were about 10-20 hours each. With the failure point being the straps losing their elasticity.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

oh thats interesting, do you just replace the filters for teargas/covid? like are they separate type cartridges?

biden's massive police force is going to gas mass demonstrators soon enough

multigas + p100 filters for tear gas.

p100 for covid. (can add anything else, but the p100 is the part that matters)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

speng31b posted:

I love that people are still looking at SA data to prove that omicron will have less serious hospitalizations than Delta when you can literally just go to the NYC coronavirus website and see that omicron hospitalizations are already at Delta levels

Like ok SA wasn't so bad but that's literally not what's happening now

Hold on.

119k Covid admissions this week x 4.9% hospitalization = hosed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the pandemic respiratory virus doesn't confer long lasting immunity, so everyone will keep catching it again and again and again season after season after season. it also causes long duration hypoxia during the symptomatic phase of the infection which damages organs, including the brain, and long term it causes chronic hypercoagulation which increases the risks for cardiovascular events such as strokes or heart attacks or blood clots. these things get worse every time you catch it, so not only are you sick as hell twice a year you're also recovering to a worse and worse starting point. the thing also just straight up kills you if you haven't gotten a vaccine, which you apparently need to get three to four times a year and doesn't prevent you from getting infected. it is also the most infectious disease ever observed and is airborne, so the only real method you have to protect yourself is either continuous high-quality mask adherence or complete social avoidance, most effectively a combination of both. this is apparently illegal in a bunch of states and also can get you fired.

that about sum it up? that's not even doomery, that's just a description of reality.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

whatever this fine fellow is

Amurica

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Stereotype posted:

the pandemic respiratory virus doesn't confer long lasting immunity, so everyone will keep catching it again and again and again season after season after season. it also causes long duration hypoxia during the symptomatic phase of the infection which damages organs, including the brain, and long term it causes chronic hypercoagulation which increases the risks for cardiovascular events such as strokes or heart attacks or blood clots. these things get worse every time you catch it, so not only are you sick as hell twice a year you're also recovering to a worse and worse starting point. the thing also just straight up kills you if you haven't gotten a vaccine, which you apparently need to get three to four times a year and doesn't prevent you from getting infected. it is also the most infectious disease ever observed and is airborne, so the only real method you have to protect yourself is either continuous high-quality mask adherence or complete social avoidance, most effectively a combination of both. this is apparently illegal in a bunch of states and also can get you fired.

that about sum it up? that's not even doomery, that's just a description of reality.

:tif:

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

and long term it causes hypercoagulation ]

There was a early case of a diabetic man in his forties who died due to clot induced bowel ischemia due to covid-19.

I'd like to post it here, but I can't find it because this pathology has become so common that there are hundreds of cases of this

https://www.kjg.or.kr/journal/view.html?doi=10.4166/kjg.2020.76.3.164

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Can't blame them. It's a real. "gently caress it. Give them what they want." moment.

This is great! All republican states are 100% Republicans, and nobody whose family dies will blame the administration they died under! why aren’t more people running on a program of social murder?