Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The best way to get a shiny is, and forever will be until Nintendo finds a way to make a perfectly unhackable console, to just edit your save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I was in the middle of a post expressing my frustration with finding Shroomish in the BDSP post-game when I realized I was wasting the small amount of time I hadn't already wasted by looking for it in the first place.

Also Pokémon Go is a really good way to farm shines. They're much more common and I've already transferred loads to Home.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What's the best way to get a shiny Voltorb? I have been waiting for the swarm on BDSP but I just realized it'll probably just self-destruct on me even if I find one. I have Shield too but I haven't beaten it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In Pokemon Go, shinies are a participation trophy, everyone gets shinies all around. The base rate is 1 in 500, and there are many events where it is much higher (1 in 25) for specific Pokemon. Also, for legendaries it is 1 in 20. Can't save reset, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I honestly don't understand shinies at all. I get if the rate was low enough that you would usually only encounter 1 or 2 in a playthrough, but the odds are gotcha level bad to the point where it's more like you'll encounter one every 5 or 6 playthroughs. Why even have them at that point? It's not like people obsessively farming them makes them money like a gacha game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FoolyCharged posted:

I honestly don't understand shinies at all. I get if the rate was low enough that you would usually only encounter 1 or 2 in a playthrough, but the odds are gotcha level bad to the point where it's more like you'll encounter one every 5 or 6 playthroughs. Why even have them at that point? It's not like people obsessively farming them makes them money like a gacha game.

It's a fun surprise when you get one! Which has only happened to me once, but I still love my shiny kickfruit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FoolyCharged posted:

It's not like people obsessively farming them makes them money like a gacha game.

Oh, you don't know about Pokemon Go, I guess.

Or, more recently, Pokemon Cafe Remix. That one is disgustingly exploitative even, with a tinyass stamina system that takes forever to replenish and a limited time window to be able to even find them in the first place so you are meant to keep spending money on stamina replenishment.

But anyway, the origins of shinies go back to Gen 2, where like many hidden mechanics in the franchise, it was meant to be a schoolyard rumor sort of experience "you aren't gonna believe this, but Mike has a pink Pikachu!" "no way, nuh-huh"

And then they just carried on into future games and became a thing certain people really like hunting for, especially with better odds (shiny charm for completing a pokedex, chaining catches, masuda method breeding, etc).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

e: I was alive when gem II dropped. It was a heavily marketed feature with a guaranteed encounter baked in to highlight it. Just like steel and dark types were major features that got advertised. It wasn't intended to be a playground secret, they just botched the introduction of a new feature and hardly let you play with it the way they almost always do.

HopperUK posted:

It's a fun surprise when you get one! Which has only happened to me once, but I still love my shiny kickfruit.

Exactly. It's a fun surprise that 99.9% of their sales base will never see. The rarity is way, way overtweaked.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 30, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They're a neat rare thing. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
There are a lot of different ways to play and enjoy pokemon, and shinies are viewed very differently by people according to how exactly they like to play.

Some people like to play the games as an exercise in collecting things. Like stamp collecting but with silly fictional animals in place of stamps. This is how I like to play. To people who play like this, there is no need to justify shinies beyond them being something that is rare for the sake of rarity. That is its own justification. It also follows, if you play like this, that you will care on some level about whether pokemon are hacked or not. Because if it doesn't matter whether a pokemon is hacked or not, then you may as well just hack the game until you have all the rare pokemon that are programmed in, because why not? That makes the game trivial, if the point of the game is to collect things. If that's not the point of the game on the other hand, it doesn't matter.

A lot of people like to play to battle other people, and those people often like the pokemon they use to be shiny because then they are "more special". It needn't matter to these players whether their pokemon are "legitimate" beyond needing them to pass the (generally very basic) hack checks built into the game. It just isn't relevant to how they want to play the game. So hack away, I guess. I would prefer not to receive the hacked pokemon in trade though, because that is annoying to me.

There are also other ways people like to play, that I didn't mention or perhaps don't even understand.

It's good to keep in mind that there are a lot of different ways to enjoy these games, and that's always been one of the strengths of the franchise.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Entropist posted:

In Pokemon Go, shinies are a participation trophy, everyone gets shinies all around. The base rate is 1 in 500, and there are many events where it is much higher (1 in 25) for specific Pokemon. Also, for legendaries it is 1 in 20. Can't save reset, though.

Last night someone I was watching stream something else talked about how he stopped playing for months. When he started again, there was a shiny in his kitchen first thing, and he found 8 others in 2 weeks. And then they died out. He joked about how it's probably a 'welcome back' system like some gachas have, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's a thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Funky Valentine posted:

Pokeradar was the easy shiny method back in Gen 4, before we had better methods and odds.

I wasn't even really trying to get a shiny! All I wanted was a Roselia with decent IVs to breed with my Shroomish. Pokeradar failed even at that!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I was in the middle of a post expressing my frustration with finding Shroomish in the BDSP post-game when I realized I was wasting the small amount of time I hadn't already wasted by looking for it in the first place.

Also Pokémon Go is a really good way to farm shines. They're much more common and I've already transferred loads to Home.

I have like an entire box full of the little fuckers. Hit me up on Discord (Silver Falcon#2944) if you want me to toss one your way.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FoolyCharged posted:

FoolyCharged posted:

e: I was alive when gem II dropped. It was a heavily marketed feature with a guaranteed encounter baked in to highlight it. Just like steel and dark types were major features that got advertised. It wasn't intended to be a playground secret, they just botched the introduction of a new feature and hardly let you play with it the way they almost always do.

Exactly. It's a fun surprise that 99.9% of their sales base will never see. The rarity is way, way overtweaked.

it's for fun

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

PokeRus was the true hidden Gen 2 feature

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought that was gen iv

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Nope!
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%E9rus#Generation_II

Though maybe it was easier to get in Gen4 onwards cause of the GTS?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, can't believe Pokemon is still surprising me after so many years.

Anyway shinies are cool. Hunting them is way too tedious to bother with and across my likely several hundred hours of pokemon gameplay i've only ever legit encountered one, but it was still very cool when it happened.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing pokemon since I was Eight and the only shiny I've ever gotten was a loving Minun. Shinies can rot in hell

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mine was a Dedenne and I loved him.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I got both a shiny starly and zangoose in BD without hunting for any, but I am cursed because I like red way more than blue

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Only shiny I ever got was a Claydol in the postgame event of Alpha Sapphire. To me, the appeal of the shiny is that it is so extremely rare that it's a fun surprise when you finally get one after playing 10+ Pokemon games.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Could someone help me trade evolve some mons in BDSP? I've set up a union room already, code 18481848.

e: thank you Wenseul!

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 31, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaius Marius posted:

I've been playing pokemon since I was Eight and the only shiny I've ever gotten was a loving Minun. Shinies can rot in hell

I am a day one player of the franchise and the only shiny I've encountered in the wild was earlier this year, a wild Stunky in Sword/Shield.

I am extremely grateful for PoGo and for kind people hosting shiny raids in Sword/Shield because otherwise, I'd be saying nuts to the entire drat system.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The wild area raid exploits were a ton of fun but also devalued shinies quite a bit where it's not quite as exciting to find them anymore when you have like, 10 boxes full of them.

I did find a shiny budew in SP though and that was still kinda fun.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ive encountered shinies but the only one i remember was a rhyhorn in platnium i killed bc it looked ugly

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Only shiny that I've gotten that isn't from breeding, friend safaris, or max raid battles, is Wooper. Been playing since day 1, and I'm fine with that. She's perfect.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I once found a shiny Goldbat in a gen 2 rom.
I think the next wild shiny I encountered was a Whismer in emerald while trying to hatch an egg in the tunnel.
Plus a Caterpie in Let's Go

Otherwise they're all wonder trading, pgo, and events.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My only shiny was a Hoothoot I found in gen 2 when playing silver. I had no idea what it was as a kid at the time till after the red Gyarados in the lake, and then thought it was cool I had another pokemon like that.

Haven't seen a wild found shiny since, though I only played Ruby before jumping (many) gens to Sw/Sh.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Evil Kit posted:

My only shiny was a Hoothoot I found in gen 2 when playing silver. I had no idea what it was as a kid at the time till after the red Gyarados in the lake, and then thought it was cool I had another pokemon like that.

Haven't seen a wild found shiny since, though I only played Ruby before jumping (many) gens to Sw/Sh.

ah nice. same shiny pokemon as ash, that's gotta feel good as a kid.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I’ve run into a wild shiny twice. The first time was in Platinum, when I was surfing and encountered a shiny Pelipper. I named him Vlasic (I know the Vlasic mascot is a stork, but it felt appropriate enough at the time). My then-girlfriend (now ex) convinced me to trade it to her, and later she collected all her shinies, Vlasic included, in My Pokemon Ranch on my Wii.

… Then my Wii died, I had to ship it back to Nintendo, and it came back with the system memory totally erased. RIP Vlasic, we hardly knew ye.

The other one was early last year when I was trying to hatch a shiny in Sword. I was idling by the Wild Area daycare and a Cutiefly flew up to me, initiating a battle, and it turned out to be a shiny. That one I got to keep, and I think it’s sitting in my “to train” box. Someday I will get around to it… maybe.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 31, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Only wild shiny I've run into was a numel in ORAS

I don't count the ones found in ultra wormholes since those have an increased chance (It was a quagsire, so at least it wasn't a complete waste of a pokemon)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

ah nice. same shiny pokemon as ash, that's gotta feel good as a kid.

Gonna be honest while I did follow the show I don't ever remember him getting a shiny hoothoot. And it may have happened before the episode even aired.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Evil Kit posted:

Gonna be honest while I did follow the show I don't ever remember him getting a shiny hoothoot. And it may have happened before the episode even aired.

it was a noctowl, technically, it was his flyer for johto.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My most recent shiny encountered in the wild is an Archen. I was playing when the wild area event with a shiny Copperajah was on. I never got a Copperajah, but the Archen is a pretty good shiny so I won't complain about that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

it was a noctowl, technically, it was his flyer for johto.

Also it’s weird because it’s a pygmy Noctowl too, it’s like twice the size of Pikachu which is small for them, they’re normally a respectable 5’3.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hisuian this? Ya herrdier this?
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/p...ZbHZ8SnzlKaYsWw

quote:

Over on Twitter, the notorious Pokemon leaker relayed a slab of new details, including word that players will need to complete the Hisui Pokedex before they can catch Arceus, a feat that will apparently take quite a bit of time. Adding to this, the leaker claims that there's a new stats system, no abilities, no held items, and no breeding. As you would expect, these tidbits have fans divided.

The leak doesn't end there though. Riddler Khu also reveals that players can only increase stats similarily to LGPE (with candies); all legendary Pokemon battles are hard boss battles; and some Pokemon, in particular, will be very hard to find. While none of this has been confirmed, it has some Pokemon fans worried.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The first part of that made me think of let's go. Then they just outright say so. I'm disappointed they're going that direction with it (if it's true). But oh well. At least it's mostly something new otherwise.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Yeah I was kind of expecting a stat system similar to the Let's Go Games since the battle system is more of an action RPG then a regular RPG that most other Pokemon games hew towards.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Just as a forewarning, that same leaker apparently had massive beef with another leaker "stealing" his information, and had quite the Twitter meltdown, so I'd take everything the leaker says with a massive grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If true, it makes me wonder how integration into Home and future games works. If the stat spreads are simplified, that makes sense for an action RPG, but they'd have to go with the Go model and just make up additional stats when transferred, which sorta sucks. I guess we'll wait and see.