Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, since it almost took an act of god to get an Xbox or PlayStation, I'm guessing most parents just got what they could, and oculus was pretty easy to find. "Sorry son, couldn't find the PS5 but here's some virtual reality and drive cash for games!" And they still come out ahead on saving some money.

Nah, a good chunk of that will be an earnest interest in VR from stuff like VRChat streamers as well.

Probably a fair bit of sharing it as a family present too because, well, VR's kinda cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

spacetoaster posted:

Holy crap a ton of kids got quests over Christmas.

It's true. My son got one as a gift. Then my daughter tried it and she fell in love and used money she had saved up to buy one so we have two in the house. My brother also tried it out at Christmas and he loved it and went out and bought one the next day.

So my daughter is obsessed with some Gorilla tag game and my son wanted to play with her but since they're both under the same account it wasn't letting them play together. Do I need to create another facebook account to make it work (I really don't want to do that and probably won't).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

wandler20 posted:

It's true. My son got one as a gift. Then my daughter tried it and she fell in love and used money she had saved up to buy one so we have two in the house. My brother also tried it out at Christmas and he loved it and went out and bought one the next day.

So my daughter is obsessed with some Gorilla tag game and my son wanted to play with her but since they're both under the same account it wasn't letting them play together. Do I need to create another facebook account to make it work (I really don't want to do that and probably won't).

Unfortunately the way it works is it authenticates your Oculus account through Playfab, then uses Playfab to authenticate through Photon. Photon won't let two different users using the same account in the same room, so yeah, you'd need a second account for them to play together.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Lemming posted:

Unfortunately the way it works is it authenticates your Oculus account through Playfab, then uses Playfab to authenticate through Photon. Photon won't let two different users using the same account in the same room, so yeah, you'd need a second account for them to play together.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up, appreciate it.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Can someone remind me why the Cosmos series isn’t well regarded? The OP’s rating is a poop emoji, which is not exactly informative. I’m currently using a Rift S, but I’m considering upgrading, as I use VR on a regular basis (multiple nights a week) and the cable is starting to get finicky/controllers are starting to drift pretty badly.

I’d like to do the SteamVR ecosystem so I can use proper full-body tracking, and I know the Index is still a good headset even at its price.

A friend is suggesting I do a Cosmos Elite instead of an Index, noting that it is part of the SteamVR ecosystem and also offers some other nice-to-haves like wireless addons. I know Vive Pro Eye 2 is also an option or whatever, but why is the Cosmos thought of so poorly?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luneshot posted:

Can someone remind me why the Cosmos series isn’t well regarded? The OP’s rating is a poop emoji, which is not exactly informative. I’m currently using a Rift S, but I’m considering upgrading, as I use VR on a regular basis (multiple nights a week) and the cable is starting to get finicky/controllers are starting to drift pretty badly.

I’d like to do the SteamVR ecosystem so I can use proper full-body tracking, and I know the Index is still a good headset even at its price.

A friend is suggesting I do a Cosmos Elite instead of an Index, noting that it is part of the SteamVR ecosystem and also offers some other nice-to-haves like wireless addons. I know Vive Pro Eye 2 is also an option or whatever, but why is the Cosmos thought of so poorly?

The Cosmos line is just expensive, has crap tracking on its own, and when you try to work around that with the Lighthouse faceplate and all you wind up paying more than what you would for just buying a complete Index set. There's zero reason to so much as look at it when the Vive Pro and Index both exist HMD-wise, as both do the same job but cheaper and better. What's worse is if you do go for a complete Cosmos Elite set you get Vive Wands instead of Index Controllers, which are really just not worth it by comparison.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 31, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The Cosmos (non-Elite) controllers also have even less life than that of the Reverb G2's.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

For the G2 it depends on the batteries you are using since it uses AAs, if you don't mind buying disposables it lasts a while.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there a reason why you don’t wanna get a Quest 2 like basically everyone else?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Private Speech posted:

For the G2 it depends on the batteries you are using since it uses AAs, if you don't mind buying disposables it lasts a while.

Well, all the devices that uses AA will depend of the quality of the batteries, but comparatively speaking, Quest 2 is known for a longer battery life than G2.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
In this here Vader Immortal game, does the dojo ever let you fight a bunch of characters? Or is it all droids, probes and stormtroopers?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cicero posted:

Is there a reason why you don’t wanna get a Quest 2 like basically everyone else?

Probably because it's barely an upgrade over the Rift S and he wants full body tracking :shrug:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The number of shrieking twelve year olds in online matches really makes PCVR feel like a proper PC multiplayer gaming experience

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Extra row of tits posted:

In this here Vader Immortal game, does the dojo ever let you fight a bunch of characters? Or is it all droids, probes and stormtroopers?

The latter unfortunately.

I suspect Disney may have a mandate that Darth Vader isn't allowed to lose fights in any sort of "expanded universe" (or whatever it's called now) content even in a what-if scenario like that, to avoid him turning into a bit of a jobber - both the story mode in this and Fallen Order just have your character hold him off until they can survive/escape. And given the high fidelity of the models and animations they probably didn't want to go through expensive mo-cap to have other characters in a side mode.

It's a bit lame but I kind of get it

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Cool, thanks for the info. It’s probably going to be the Index, then.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

forest spirit posted:

HL Alyx is incredibly lightweight compared to almost everything else. I think a 2070 Super or something would run native res. I would say 3070 for Elite

Elite’s VR support came out in the era of 10xx video cards. There’s no way you need a 3070 to run it.

Alyx ran well on my Vive with a 1060.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 31, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I run Elite almost maxed out on a 2060, it ran like butter on my 1060 as well even with a FX-6300 as the CPU.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ran Elite on a 1050TI and a FX 8350.

Granted the CV1 I used is lower res, but I dont think a 3070 is anywhere near required

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The problem with Elite now is that Odyssey has tanked performance, which is why I mention it here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blade and Sorcery is my favorite Star Wars game.

I downloaded a bunch of Jedi Outcast/Academy maps that have been upscaled and I was transported back to being a teenager hanging out with my little clan on Bespin.

God, it's soooooo good.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

LLSix posted:

Elite’s VR support came out in the era of 10xx video cards. There’s no way you need a 3070 to run it.

Alyx ran well on my Vive with a 1060.

what resolution headset did/do you have? I'm just going from my experience running it with a 1070 with a 3600 a year and a bit ago. I haven't run it since then but I imagine with a much higher res you'll need more out of your GPU.

I just remember early on that was the only game I was climbing the supersampling up and up and up to make the text more legible, and it was one of the first games I actually needed to do that for.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 31, 2021

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Luneshot posted:

The elite is fine. The controllers just kinda suck because they are vive wands but the headset itself is actually quite decent. The welders helmet strap is a love it or hate it thing but the cosmos has a super comfy one so if you like that style, you'll like it.

My complaint is the MSRP.

I wouldn't sell my elite kit for more than like 500 bucks. Its a hard sell for much more than that. But if you can get one on the cheapish, its really a nice headset. I'd offer to sell mine but shipping sucks rear end, but theres probably heaps floating around from the sales this year.

With that said. You didnt mention budget.

Zero budget? I mean. vajro + index controllers?

I'm happy with my index for FBT. ITs comfy. I just hate the rear padding because its not removable and cleaning it is lovely.

Though, I've been thinking about moving to a vive pro 2. I miss wireless, and i miss replaceable pads.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, people should specify the headset in these posts. A Rift 1, an Index and a Quest 2 all have different gpu requirements because the different resolution.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

EbolaIvory posted:

The elite is fine. The controllers just kinda suck because they are vive wands but the headset itself is actually quite decent. The welders helmet strap is a love it or hate it thing but the cosmos has a super comfy one so if you like that style, you'll like it.

My complaint is the MSRP.

I wouldn't sell my elite kit for more than like 500 bucks. Its a hard sell for much more than that. But if you can get one on the cheapish, its really a nice headset. I'd offer to sell mine but shipping sucks rear end, but theres probably heaps floating around from the sales this year.

With that said. You didnt mention budget.

Zero budget? I mean. vajro + index controllers?

I'm happy with my index for FBT. ITs comfy. I just hate the rear padding because its not removable and cleaning it is lovely.

Though, I've been thinking about moving to a vive pro 2. I miss wireless, and i miss replaceable pads.

My budget is fairly high; considering how much time I spend in VR (it’s largely been my social life during lockdown) I think it’s worth it. The past few years with the Rift S sold me on VR pretty hard, but I want to upgrade. I have not been impressed with Ocumetabook’s hardware support when trying to troubleshoot my Rift S, and wanting full body tracking and my personal moral objections to that company basically rules out the Quest 2.

Basically, I’d be doing a full Index kit + three FBT trackers and straps + prescription lenses + maybe another lighthouse? + whatever other necessary accessories, so I’m figuring I’ll end up somewhere in the $1500-2000 range. The Vive Pro 2 with the wireless is another potential HMD contender, but the rest would be the same- I’d go for the Knuckles, not the Vive wands.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the best stuff to do in Pavlov? I played for the first time last night and most of the servers were running custom modes like TTT that I have no interest in or custom maps that I didn't really feel like downloading. I found one game that was running vanilla maps but it was TDM with 30 people and was insane so I just quit and played RE4 instead :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Worth pointing out regardless that you can do FBT with a Quest 2, as it connects to SteamVR rather than the headset. If you're willing to wait until June then Slime VR should start shipping around then.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Luneshot posted:

My budget is fairly high; considering how much time I spend in VR (it’s largely been my social life during lockdown) I think it’s worth it. The past few years with the Rift S sold me on VR pretty hard, but I want to upgrade. I have not been impressed with Ocumetabook’s hardware support when trying to troubleshoot my Rift S, and wanting full body tracking and my personal moral objections to that company basically rules out the Quest 2.

Basically, I’d be doing a full Index kit + three FBT trackers and straps + prescription lenses + maybe another lighthouse? + whatever other necessary accessories, so I’m figuring I’ll end up somewhere in the $1500-2000 range. The Vive Pro 2 with the wireless is another potential HMD contender, but the rest would be the same- I’d go for the Knuckles, not the Vive wands.

Flip a coin then.

If you can piss away the money, the vive pro 2 with knuckles added on would be clutch. I still like wands for some stuff so its nice to have em around and technically thats 2 more points of tracking if you wanted to jump through hoops for it.

I'd def lean hard towards the pro 2 on a personal level just after owning an index and dealing with RMA poo poo and that rear pad. I cannot express how much I hate the rear pad not being removeable. If you sweat a lot like I do. Its a huge deal. If not, whatever. Plus wireless.

You lose out on the awesome index audio but if you're ready to plonk down coin on the rest of the setup, some nice earbuds/iems + modmic aint gonna kill you. This is the biggest "downside" to anything non valve right now. Everyone elses audio (mic included) is garbage.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Worth pointing out regardless that you can do FBT with a Quest 2, as it connects to SteamVR rather than the headset. If you're willing to wait until June then Slime VR should start shipping around then.

Slime VR? Naw. Thats for poors who don't mind semi trash FBT. Its slightly a step above some of the camera tracking methods out there that actually work "as good".

Also if hes going to do FBT with a quest 2, hes spending lighthouse money anyways so why bother? Its not worth the constant setup/space syncing when you're dealing with actual FBT. Every single time I get a job to do avatar poo poo with a quest I wanna stab a puppy.

Yes im a bougie gently caress with FBT. I've been dicking with all these "alternative" tracking methods forever and as far as actual body tracking goes, if it aint a real tracker its pretty garbage. If you stand around like a doof and don't REALLY move, sure, Its fine. But start kicking your legs around FOR REAL poo poo goes sideways pretty quickly. Theres a reason I do all my fbt with tundras/vive trackers.

quote:

Over time, there is some horizontal-rotation (yaw) drift, so body parts can end up facing the wrong direction after a while. We’ve done a lot of work to compensate for this, however, and it typically takes between 20 minutes and two hours, depending on your activity, for any drift to become apparent.

This is similar to the bullshit of syncing lighthouses with a quest 2. Yeah naw. Its never just "a button push" its a couple. More so if you're lining poo poo up on an avatar. Thats another tpose, possible reconfig if you're using something like LIV or neos with hard points to move.

Yeah I'm good on that. Its fine if thats all you can afford/setup. But naw.

Also this. Jokes.

As someone who kept getting told "Soon" on tundras and finally got them in dec, nope, don't wait around for some maybe cheaper tech. If you can actually afford it, just buy real trackers now. Vive 3.0 are the way to go until tundra can ship regularly. Tundras support so far has been great. There also way way more expensive options if you want to light money on fire for insane crazy high end trackers. But right now, for quality FBT thats reliable, 3.0s or similar. Wouldn't personally recommend 2.0s at this point unless you got em used for super duper cheap. I officially hate mine after using smaller trackers.

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on tundras but if I didn't have fbt and wanted it now, i'd of just picked up 3.0s. The super dongle thing tundra has is kinda game changer when you move past 3 trackers (if you do).

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 1, 2022

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Their current schedule is to ship most of the orders in November:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/slimevr/slimevr-full-body-tracker/updates/progress-and-schedule-updates

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

explosivo posted:

What's the best stuff to do in Pavlov? I played for the first time last night and most of the servers were running custom modes like TTT that I have no interest in or custom maps that I didn't really feel like downloading. I found one game that was running vanilla maps but it was TDM with 30 people and was insane so I just quit and played RE4 instead :(

I think if you’re not willing to download custom maps you’re gonna have a hard time - fwiw they’re small and seem to take, at least for me, less than 20 seconds to download and are problem free. They’re often pretty fun and have interesting gimmicks or are just straight ports of source maps, I had a tremendous time playing some old DoD:S maps in WW2 mode the other night and I’ve played on a bunch of extremely fun, garish, weird custom maps that really elevated the experience to some kind of futuristic nostalgia that I think anyone who has been playing online FPS games since the early 2000s will appreciate

I’d say if you can accept the inevitability of custom maps you should just bounce around from server to server until you find one with the right mode and player numbers for you. I was apprehensive about getting into Pavlov because it seemed either too difficult or too nonsensical but the best allegory are the early days of CSS and other source mods / UT - loads of nutty custom stuff, casual gameplay with fast respawning options, less casual bomb defusal modes, and a zombie mode. The latter I’ve never seen anyone play and seems kind of janky and the only populated zombie server has a baffling format I haven’t quite been able to figure out but the WW2 TDM and the regular TDM are tons of fun once you get used to them. The high player count ones are basically just those comically fast COD meat grinder levels, but ones with 15-20 players can be somewhat methodical

I’ve spent more time in it than any other VR game so far and the custom maps with all the guns / gun game servers / WW2 maps reminiscent of MOHAA/DOD make it worth the time and SSD space

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm not averse to custom maps I just wanted a quick hit last night so that's probably on me. I'll give some a go and see what sticks, I certainly played a lot of 1.6 and DOD back in the day so that all sounds pretty nice.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

explosivo posted:

I'm not averse to custom maps I just wanted a quick hit last night so that's probably on me. I'll give some a go and see what sticks, I certainly played a lot of 1.6 and DOD back in the day so that all sounds pretty nice.

Yeah you're gonna have to delve in to the custom stuff if you want to go where the people play. Thankfully, once it is downloaded, it is in your library forever and can use them in solo play if you like.

I play gungame in Clock Town from Majora's Mask a lot. It has a hidden jumpscare that got me good.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The best custom map I’ve played so far is this bizarre, garish urban level with a block of shops with an aesthetic that is some kind of weird mix of Cruelty Squad and Jet Set radio with some Half Life 2 assets thrown in. I wish I could remember the name of that one, it was a perfect flashback to the era of creative, mind-bending but also self-evidently amateur map design

Though the cartoony old western town and untextured castle map that plays Christmas music and has a santa skin are close runners up

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
tarkov factory is pretty cool in Pavlov. 1 hour dm session on that map is like a perfect shootmans fix.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Frog Act posted:

The best custom map I’ve played so far is this bizarre, garish urban level with a block of shops with an aesthetic that is some kind of weird mix of Cruelty Squad and Jet Set radio with some Half Life 2 assets thrown in. I wish I could remember the name of that one, it was a perfect flashback to the era of creative, mind-bending but also self-evidently amateur map design

Though the cartoony old western town and untextured castle map that plays Christmas music and has a santa skin are close runners up

That makes me wish there was a VR version of that anime/cyberpunk shooter that was DEFINITLY NOT Ghost in The Shell. It predated Blacklight by about 5 years or so. It was a competitive team shooter with tons of cyberpunk gadgets. Anyone know what I'm talking about NEO TOKYO I JUST REMEMBERED

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

neo tokyo had an absolute banger soundtrack

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

loving LMAO NeoTokyo is also the name of some lovely NFT scam (all NFTs are scams)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

That makes me wish there was a VR version of that anime/cyberpunk shooter that was DEFINITLY NOT Ghost in The Shell. It predated Blacklight by about 5 years or so. It was a competitive team shooter with tons of cyberpunk gadgets. Anyone know what I'm talking about NEO TOKYO I JUST REMEMBERED

VR neotokyo, with its class abilities and the light/medium/heavy things on top of all the fun future guns might be my ideal game, honestly. I put hundreds of hours into the original mod and it’s a gigantic tragedy it died

I just spent an hour playing old insurgency maps in Pavlov and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if the NT ones are already out there but it wouldn’t be the same without the supporting gameplay ported over

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

chaosapiant posted:

The problem with Elite now is that Odyssey has tanked performance, which is why I mention it here.

Yes, this is a major change. My friends with 3070 and Quest 2, and 3080 with Vive Pro have been dealing with this in recent months. Waiting for patches and trying to find settings that provide acceptable performance. December update improved things, but I think both are still staying in Horizon. The guy with Vive can't quite manage 90 fps even with VR-low settings, he suspects he could manage it with AMD FSR and better CPU.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is the elite strap for the quest 2 pretty good? i have some knockoff amazon one that is OK but the elite strap looks like it may be more comfy, and has the battery pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

queeb posted:

is the elite strap for the quest 2 pretty good? i have some knockoff amazon one that is OK but the elite strap looks like it may be more comfy, and has the battery pack.

The official elite strap breaks easily, and is beaten by other 3rd party straps like the Kiwi one or the Vive DAS + adapter.