Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

m.hache posted:

Are you able to use the referral links if you've already ordered a headset? If so I gotta let my buddy know since he sold me on this thing.

Yes, apparently you actually need to use the referral link before you activate the headset.

Anyway, I activated before the new year turned, so it may end up being $30 instead of the $60

Also I tried Air Link with Pistol Whip and aside from one or two hitches and steam VR being terrible, if there were any other problems I sure did not notice them. Does the Rift S have Air Link? If not then this more or less justifies the upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My brother got me a Quest 2 for Christmas! Really nice gift. My first thought was to play Subnautica, since I had been holding off on the game until VR. Reading up on it, it seems a bit more complicated than I thought. Apparently, the native VR support sucks, but there is an amazing VR mod that works great? Does this mean I have to play it on Steam for the mod and then somehow stream it to the Oculus using airplay?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Megasabin posted:

My brother got me a Quest 2 for Christmas! Really nice gift. My first thought was to play Subnautica, since I had been holding off on the game until VR. Reading up on it, it seems a bit more complicated than I thought. Apparently, the native VR support sucks, but there is an amazing VR mod that works great? Does this mean I have to play it on Steam for the mod and then somehow stream it to the Oculus using airplay?

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/173

Yes, you need to play it from your PC - not sure if it's available from other storefronts, but I've played it from Steam. The mod is necessary for using any sort of UI in the game, and turns the game from unplayable in VR to acceptable. I only have a couple hours in and don't think I'll keep up with it though. I've been spoiled by better VR experiences.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oof the RE2 VR mod made me pretty nauseous. It's still early on (and it's free) so I can't fault them for the rough edges but it's probably not something I'd recommend buying the game for like I did. I'll just play the game normally now that I have it though so nbd.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

.Ataraxia. posted:

You want it to be a separate AP, not just a separate SSID. And make sure the AP has a wired connection to your router and is in the same room you do your VR in. Some people report success using a USB wifi adapter and Windows hotspot.

Is there any hope for wireless Virtual Desktop with a floor between the separate AP and the Quest, or does it really have to be in the same room? I'd like to avoid running cables all around the house if at all possible.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I am just brainstorming here but are directional wifi antennas still a thing that you can do to get a better signal?

I'm thinking back to the days of blasting a wifi signal in a straight line through a Pringles can, and thinking maybe something similar would get it through a wall/floor?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Moogs posted:

Is there any hope for wireless Virtual Desktop with a floor between the separate AP and the Quest, or does it really have to be in the same room? I'd like to avoid running cables all around the house if at all possible.

I normally play games through Virtual Desktop a floor and a room away from my pc/router.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Moogs posted:

Yes, unless you are in a city and your immediate neighbor gets a new router and suddenly is taking the free channel you were using. :argh: Had to finally move my router upstairs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I tried a few rounds of Gorn and a little bit of the shooting range in Robo Recall. There is an occasional hitch but it all seems drat near perfect on my current setup. Is there anything else that I am supposed to be looking for?

I'm just...not used to things Just Working with VR.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 2, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Megasabin posted:

Yes, you'd have to do that anyway as there isn't a quest 2 version (or maybe there is but it's horrible)

It's dead easy though, install the mod, run airlink, launch steam VR from within airlink, run Subnautica, it's not hard at all.

I played Subnautica for the first time in VR and it's worth it - it's one of my favourite VR games I've played.

Also airlink seems to vary from person to person - I have a really lovely ISP router that works just great, although my PC is in the same room and wired into it. I did make sure the quest was the only device on the 5Ghz band though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SuperHot VR dev has shared a tweet with sales data:

https://twitter.com/DevRelCallum/status/1476902212408430593

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 2, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there a rule of thumb between getting stuff on the Quest store and PCVR? I want to get The Room VR with my remaining credit but I also see that is on sale on steam.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a rule of thumb between getting stuff on the Quest store and PCVR? I want to get The Room VR with my remaining credit but I also see that is on sale on steam.

My personal rule is thumb is that if the game supports cross buy I'll get it on the Quest, otherwise I go with the usually cheaper Steam version.

It's kind of a pain to tell if a game supports cross buy. Unless someone else knows of a better way, I just scroll through this page to see if the game I'm interested in is there:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

That one is cross buy so I would buy it on Oculus ecosystem.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Moogs posted:

If depends entirely on the house and how busy the wi-fi is, but I'm able to play across two floors, with slightly degraded visuals. I don't usually bother of course, but it's worth experimenting with.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

kemikalkadet posted:

For a while when I started using VR, after using the headset for a while then looking at text on a flat screen it would look like the text was hovering a few mm away from the screen. Like reading the forums, it looked like the text protruded from the background. It only happened for a couple of days but I thought it was weird.
Thanks for saying this, I felt it too and thought I was crazy. It seemed especially prominent with lighter text on darker backgrounds. Everything felt 3D/VR even when it wasn't.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Vib Rib posted:

Thanks for saying this, I felt it too and thought I was crazy. It seemed especially prominent with lighter text on darker backgrounds. Everything felt 3D/VR even when it wasn't.

Yep I had the same thing a few years back when I first got my vive. Hasn’t happened at all recently .

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Inzombiac posted:

Oh my gooooood

I reduced the resolution per eye in Steam VR to about 60% and it resolved all of my problems. It got rid of the weird shadowing in the middle, all the stuttering is gone and it actually looks a bit better (maybe just smoother).

Now I'm screaming through Boneworks and having an extremely good time.

Are you talking about the reverb G2? I had a similar experience when I reduced mine to 70% (9900k/3080) where the visual fidelity change wasn’t noticeable to me but the frame rate jump was massive. Really made a huge difference. Comparing it to the quest 2 that I used to have the reverb g2 still a much better picture, partly because there’s no more video compression artifacts from link/airlink streaming, partly because on oculus headsets colors have always been less vibrant than on any of the WMR headsets I’ve tried, and partly because it’s still a higher resolution than the quest even when you reduce to 70%.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 2, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

SuperHot VR dev has shared a tweet with sales data:

https://twitter.com/DevRelCallum/status/1476902212408430593

The drop in Europe is the really interesting bit to me here.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

The drop in Europe is the really interesting bit to me here.

Yeah, I wonder if it's lockdown related.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, I wonder if it's lockdown related.

Facebook exited Germany

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I opened a support ticket for the referral bonus and got my $35 awarded for me and my friend. Got my headset on the 31st, and the referral link today.

May be an exception because I had to re-activate my facebook account but still, free money!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So does RE4 VR have to be installed on my Quest or can I install it on my PC and play via airlink like with Boneworks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Frog Act posted:

So does RE4 VR have to be installed on my Quest or can I install it on my PC and play via airlink like with Boneworks

That one's a Quest exclusive, it can only be installed on and run from the Quest.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Picked up Demeo because it looked rad and some friend had it. Anyone else have it/want to friend up?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

explosivo posted:

That one's a Quest exclusive, it can only be installed on and run from the Quest.

Dang - follow up, is there a way to stream a flat view of the game im playing the same way a window shows up on my PC monitor when I’m playing via PCVR? I ask because my girlfriend loves watching me play Resident Evil games and she really wants to be able to

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can use the cast your view to a phone through the Oculus app, and then cast the phone screen to a TV if you have one that can do that.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

njsykora posted:

You can use the cast your view to a phone through the Oculus app, and then cast the phone screen to a TV if you have one that can do that.

Oh cool I thought it’d be more annoying than that, that should work

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Dang - follow up, is there a way to stream a flat view of the game im playing the same way a window shows up on my PC monitor when I’m playing via PCVR? I ask because my girlfriend loves watching me play Resident Evil games and she really wants to be able to

Sidequest can be used to stream your view wirelessly to a PC. (Or you can do it manually using adb and scrcpy, which is what sidequest does)

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Frog Act posted:

Oh cool I thought it’d be more annoying than that, that should work

You can directly cast from quest to any chromecast on the same wifi last i checked - no having to hop through the phone first to get it on a tv

You can also cast to any regular browser, you just sign in to oculus.com/casting with the same oculus/fb account as your quest is on.

all the options are just in the little curvy arrow menu off the menu that pops up when you hit the oculus button on the right hand controller

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hey, so it looks like my burner FB account got hacked, it's now under someone's name that appears to be from Malaysia. I noticed when my App had logged me out.

Anyone have experience? I went and changed the password on the FB. But was/is the Oculus account an entirely different thing? I don't want to lose my poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For now it's one and the same, time to go bug Facebook or Oculus support. Preferably both to try and get your account back.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

m.hache posted:

Picked up Demeo because it looked rad and some friend had it. Anyone else have it/want to friend up?

I could do this later today probably. Munki#1330 on discord, or we can link up through steam but I can never find my profile link from the phone app so that’ll have to wait.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Beastie posted:

Hey, so it looks like my burner FB account got hacked, it's now under someone's name that appears to be from Malaysia. I noticed when my App had logged me out.

Anyone have experience? I went and changed the password on the FB. But was/is the Oculus account an entirely different thing? I don't want to lose my poo poo.

owned

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I was able to get my FB account locked down a ton of passwords in Chrome, turn on two factor, and change the password(s) to stuff that was completely new.

To be honest this was kind of my NYE resolution. I've been meaning to get this poo poo under control ever since I've been locked out of my main XBL account after I had to get a new phone number and forgot to change 2F

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Password managers and 2FA Auth on everything always. Though I did hear that there were some ways to get around app auth as of late. I may have to dig out the Yubikey again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yeah, it involves intercepting the auth cookies you get after you successfully log in. I believe it requires you to be infected via clicking on some shady link or whatever, but that's what I read recently.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Time to go back to writing them down and hiding them

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GutBomb posted:

Are you talking about the reverb G2? I had a similar experience when I reduced mine to 70% (9900k/3080) where the visual fidelity change wasn’t noticeable to me but the frame rate jump was massive. Really made a huge difference. Comparing it to the quest 2 that I used to have the reverb g2 still a much better picture, partly because there’s no more video compression artifacts from link/airlink streaming, partly because on oculus headsets colors have always been less vibrant than on any of the WMR headsets I’ve tried, and partly because it’s still a higher resolution than the quest even when you reduce to 70%.

Yeah, it's the G2.

I've gone from "VR is fun but feels like a gimmick that's popular" to "XR is the future holy poo poo I never want to leave my house."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to push gchat messages to the headset? I realized when I'm "plugged in" I can't hear my wife upstairs and if she's messaging me it won't come through. Maybe even Facebook Messenger?