Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Drama is an Intellect skill in Disco Elysium. Play the actor. Lie and detect lies.

However, with low Drama you cannot lie – or discern when others lie.

And a cop who can’t do either is a cop who’s soon going to be lying six feet under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

john shao presents john shao’s disco elysium by john shao played by kim kitsuragi

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Goddamnit Kim, have some self respect.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Plaisance is absolutely the type of person to be hoodwinked by playing to orientalist stereotypes.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
wait, I'm a drama queen for my first playthrough yet I still busted down that door with my shoulder.
I must be terrible at this game

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Digital art book is really good. Lots of art and lots of writing about their process artistically and technically.

The only downside is iam8bit uploaded a 72dpi version for digital download (the download file has 72dpi in the name). It makes sense they would want to save on bandwidth/download size because even then it’s a ~500Mb pdf, but it means don’t bother zooming in on the art or you’ll just see jaggies and jpeg artifacts.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed getting chastised by... pretty much everyone on my last playthrough for cajoling the key off the woman and yet deciding to smash down the door anyway

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Did another run with 4-2-2-4 on HARDCORE and without the usage of booze and/or drugs. Gave as many people as I could closure, even babybeard Garte. At the poo poo, I made a sick shot on Korty with not that much talking thanks to getting a head start on getting the boots and the thought associated with the armor. Kim got shot because I got snake-eyes on a loving 97% chance, but then I brought Cuno and we solved the poo poo out of the case. I also was able to get a bunch of checks I never was able to the first time around because they were red ones or the white ones that I just didn't get around to. Got all the armor, was a sorry doom-saying cop who dabbled in art but then promptly quit because it's for fuckin' nerds (sweet mural notwtihstanding). Basically, GOTY.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Bystander posted:

I made a sick shot on Korty with not that much talking thanks to getting a head start on getting the boots and the thought associated with the armor. Kim got shot because I got snake-eyes on a loving 97% chance, but then I brought Cuno and we solved the poo poo out of the case.

That's kinda my problem with the rgn system in Disco: During the story I got Kim to truly trust me and yet I risked him distrusting me when it really mattered, just because of random throw at the dice.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Alhazred posted:

That's kinda my problem with the rgn system in Disco: During the story I got Kim to truly trust me and yet I risked him distrusting me when it really mattered, just because of random throw at the dice.

i had the same thing happen and it was 100% redeemed by waking up to and then recruiting detective cuno. kim survives anyway, it's fine

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Wasn't able to find a way to placate Cuno before the tribunal but it's okay, I let Kim get shot and now he's forgiven me.

Seeing him as a party member feels surreal, almost like it's a mod or something. Out of all the Harrys I've made this is the one I would least trust to be responsible for a 12 year old but oh well, time to solve this crime with my trusty sidekick, dual-wielding a sword and a pistol and getting high the entire time.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

midnight lasagna posted:

Wasn't able to find a way to placate Cuno before the tribunal but it's okay, I let Kim get shot and now he's forgiven me.

Seeing him as a party member feels surreal, almost like it's a mod or something. Out of all the Harrys I've made this is the one I would least trust to be responsible for a 12 year old but oh well, time to solve this crime with my trusty sidekick, dual-wielding a sword and a pistol and getting high the entire time.

All the time? Someone's an excellent, very good, super, supreme cop.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Not only does he mix well with a high Physical Instrument, telling you to smash everyone in the face before they strangle you in your sleep, Half Light also has some pretty keen observations.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I'm on my first playthrough and seem to be a bit stuck. On Friday,

Looking for Rose is pretty much the only thing on my plate right now. Busted the checks for the basement door and the ladder. I'm trash in those stats (and physical instrument is maxed), but I can keep trying.

I can't keep trying very much, though, since the only other open questline I really have is helping the skids set up their church club. I'm up against another physical instrument check with that, though. The ice cream maker, which sounds like it might get easier as it defrosts.

Is there anything I'm missing? I know this game is pretty mercurial and these sorts of things are probably bound to happen sometimes.

edit:
My very next action after I posted this was to kick the furnace, giving me a fatal heart attack. I guess that will be next Harry's problem.

Naylenas fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 31, 2021

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Naylenas posted:

I can't keep trying very much, though, since the only other open questline I really have is helping the skids set up their church club. I'm up against another physical instrument check with that, though. The ice cream maker, which sounds like it might get easier as it defrosts.

In regards to the spoiled check, I waited until the next day and it didn't defrost any noticeable amount overnight because there was no bonus. I've no idea if doing another day would make the difference, either. It sucks to say, but it seems like reloading until success is the way to go.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Naylenas posted:

I'm on my first playthrough and seem to be a bit stuck. On Friday,

Looking for Rose is pretty much the only thing on my plate right now. Busted the checks for the basement door and the ladder. I'm trash in those stats (and physical instrument is maxed), but I can keep trying.

Is there anything I'm missing? I know this game is pretty mercurial and these sorts of things are probably bound to happen sometimes.

edit:
My very next action after I posted this was to kick the furnace, giving me a fatal heart attack. I guess that will be next Harry's problem.

The boost from drinks/drugs also boosts how much you can train a stat up which might help. There's a few late-game thoughts that unlock white checks. And some thoughts that might boost the max rating for a skill.

But mooostly, consider reloading to an earlier save if you have one. The game is mostly robust, but if you get to a point where you can unlock a required white check enough times I think I can kind of soft-lock yourself.

Or so my understanding goes anyway.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

e: poor reading comprehension skills

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I did think of a complaint about the game:

I played on the Switch and it crashed about once an hour. snowfall would make the system chug badly.

meanwhile, I bought it for my father on PC for Xmastide. he was already explaining this dude to me:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravachol

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I saved and took abreak and when I reloaded that fucker Gary wasn't in the bar anymore. Did I miss anything by not being able to talk to him a second time? I already confiscated the poo poo he stole.

the game also told me I unlocked fast travel ages ago but can't figure out how for the life of me

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 1, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Reloading a save reloads the area so if you already reached the point where you had “one last chance” to talk to him and then reloaded he’s probably gone for good.

Same way if you’re in the bar and the clock turns late to a point the Hardys would be gone, they’ll still be there unless you leave and come back. But if you save and then reload they’ll also be gone

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

hazardousmouse posted:

I saved and took abreak and when I reloaded that fucker Gary wasn't in the bar anymore. Did I miss anything by not being able to talk to him a second time? I already confiscated the poo poo he stole.

the game also told me I unlocked fast travel ages ago but can't figure out how for the life of me

I think you have missed nothing of consequence. At worst, some funny words. But I've not trawled the script or anything.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I did want to troll the little fascist some more but I guess it's fine.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I did think of a complaint about the game:

I played on the Switch and it crashed about once an hour. snowfall would make the system chug badly.

Came here to ask whether I should get this on switch. I’d prefer to play it in bed on handheld mode but if the performance is really that bad maybe not. What’s the consensus, is this ok to play on switch or nah? Thanks

E: I have an og switch if that makes any difference

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

hazardousmouse posted:

You do it by looking at the map, but you can only go to and from a few central locations, it's kind of frustratingly limited and I ended up never using it and just running everywhere

Anyway I enjoyed this playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJhCGVyRyiw

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Idea for the light-bending guy: evil ape NFTs.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Came here to ask whether I should get this on switch. I’d prefer to play it in bed on handheld mode but if the performance is really that bad maybe not. What’s the consensus, is this ok to play on switch or nah? Thanks

It runs okay on mine but my complaint is that the screen is a bit hard to read for a largely text based game, sometimes.

I probably just need to get glasses.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

there are some frame drops in busy scenes but nothing i've found particularly egregious. the biggest problem is that i've had a few crashes during loading screens, so definitely get in the habit of quicksaving before going somewhere else if you just wrapped up a long conversation

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Organic Lube User posted:

It runs okay on mine but my complaint is that the screen is a bit hard to read for a largely text based game, sometimes.

I probably just need to get glasses.

Weedle posted:

there are some frame drops in busy scenes but nothing i've found particularly egregious. the biggest problem is that i've had a few crashes during loading screens, so definitely get in the habit of quicksaving before going somewhere else if you just wrapped up a long conversation

Thanks! I’ll give it a shot

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I played a fair amount of it streamed to phone, was occassionally fiddly but mostly fine.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Does the game cheat important rolls for you? I got some lucky skill checks at critical moments that felt a little hand holdy/improbable but could also be just luck. I may also be officially cheating a bit with the fancy dice you can get.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

Does the game cheat important rolls for you? I got some lucky skill checks at critical moments that felt a little hand holdy/improbable but could also be just luck. I may also be officially cheating a bit with the fancy dice you can get.

As far as I know there's two rolls in the game that get cheated and they always fail instead of succeed.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

a7m2 posted:

As far as I know there's two rolls in the game that get cheated and they always fail instead of succeed.

which ones?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
there's 3 I think
(endgame) the bunker door, dodging the second bullet, and talking to the phasmid without the pheromones

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, getting the key from the union box before It’s Time.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

VROOM VROOM posted:

there's 3 I think
(endgame) the bunker door, dodging the second bullet, and talking to the phasmid without the pheromones

I didn't count the last one because it's possible, there are just certain additional conditions to it. The first two are impossible, period.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Colonel Whitey posted:

I've played it a few times through on an OG Switch. It ran like garbage before the 1.2 (or 1.3? I can't remember which) update but now it's mostly fine, only problems are some stutter in snowy areas and the screenshot button not working in more performance intense areas like the inside of the church. Didn't get a single crash at all in my last playthrough while it crashed multiple times in my first two, so I think the crashing problem has been fixed?

Fister Roboto posted:

I would love to see what all of Harry's skills have to say about NFTs... Hand-eye coordination absolutely wants you to right click those apes, Reaction Speed can tell a scam when it sees one, and Physical Instrument thinks this is the lamest most binoclard poo poo ever and you should invest in something physical. The only ones I can imagine thinking it's a good idea are Savoir Faire (100% the skill that would try to get you into crypto), Suggestion (she'll definitely take you back once she sees all those cool and valuable ape jpegs you own!), and maybe Conceptualisation although that one could go either way.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Electrochemistry absolutely wants you to buy crypto.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

VROOM VROOM posted:

there's 3 I think

what about the pale emitter I had a 97% chance to succeed at that one and still failed twice cause lol I died, low health and not enough stimpacks.

I didn't even bother to try and dodge the second bullet, I was wearing the armor and since he was pointed dead at my chest I was just going to trust the plate. I don't remember where the pheromones come up but I certainly had it for the phasmid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

hazardousmouse posted:

what about the pale emitter I had a 97% chance to succeed at that one and still failed twice cause lol I died, low health and not enough stimpacks.

I didn't even bother to try and dodge the second bullet, I was wearing the armor and since he was pointed dead at my chest I was just going to trust the plate. I don't remember where the pheromones come up but I certainly had it for the phasmid

The first one is passable even with a lowish rating. But 3% is not as unlikely as our brains like to think.

Weirdly I think The armour stops you losing health from the first shot? You can still just fail-tank the tribunal with enough nosaphed though, IIRC.

As for your final point They get sprayed on you by the Cryptozoologist when doing his bug hunt. Unless you refuse. Having a bath or shaving afterwards hurts the roll too.