Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Happy Boxing Day everybody!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Happy Boxing Day everybody!!

heh. same.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
2022 predictions

Ugas will beat Errol Spence then fight Terence Crawford at the end of the year and lose a unanimous decision.
Usyk will rematch Anthony Joshua and stop him but will not fight Tyson Fury until 2023
Tyson Fury will not fight in 2022
Lomachenko will beat Kambosos and then beat some random rear end WBO mandatory and then be stripped of 2 of the belts because of conflicting mandatories
Adrien Broner will fight and win in 2022
Canelo will fight Dmitry Bivol and beat him in a pretty easy decision
I will have another below average year but myself, Mr F, Ninth Layer and Jump King will manage another boys weekend in Vegas and that will be alright :unsmith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Lomachenko will beat Kambosos and then beat some random rear end WBO mandatory and then be stripped of 2 of the belts because of conflicting mandatories

How often does this kind of thing happen?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So for a casual fan are there any marquee events coming up this year?

The SituAsian posted:

I will have another below average year but myself, Mr F, Ninth Layer and Jump King will manage another boys weekend in Vegas and that will be alright :unsmith:

:unsmith:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Brut posted:

How often does this kind of thing happen?

The belts possess a chaotic energy and if they’re ever unified they must be separated within a year or else the world is in jeopardy so the orgs regularly step in to save us this fate.

Also all this predictions sound pretty on point but I’m a very stupid man who thinks Bivol beats Canelo. But I also don’t think they fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

algebra testes posted:

So for a casual fan are there any marquee events coming up this year?

We don’t really have a good grip on the schedule yet. Kind of waiting for things to shake out a bit but here’s what’s on the radar:

Canelo probably has a big fight in May, he’s announced his intention to move to Cruiserweight and fight Makabu to become the 6th 5 weight champion in history, but Makabu first needs to defend his title in January. If Makabu loses then Canelo’s plan b is likely to fight Beterbiev or Bicol who are both very tough challenges, although for different reasons.

George Kambosos Jr is the newly unified lightweight champion and is probably going to have a big matchup against somebody like Lomachenko or whatever. He’s coming off a legit win over the #1 guy but is currently perceived as a weaker champion so I’d expect a big name to try to lift the belt from him.

Terence Crawford has finally finished his deal with Top Rank and is expected to sign with a promotion that will be able to get him fights with all the top welters at PBC. The big fight people want to see is Spence vs Crawford, but there’s some question marks about this one. Spence hasn’t fought since before his eye injury and he probably wants an easier fight before Crawford if he’s even cleared to fight at all.

Anthony Joshua and Usyk will be having a big rematch for the majority of the heavyweight belts but most people think the true heavyweight king is Tyson Fury, and it’s impossible to predict what he’ll do.

Jermell Charlo and Brian Castano will be rematching for the undisputed 154lb title. This one is pretty significant for boxing fans as these guys are coming off a pretty good draw last year that saw both fighters hurt, but the name value isn’t quite as high as the matches listed above.

Naoya Inoue’s career momentum has once again been thrown off kilter, this time by new covid restrictions in Japan. He’s aiming to have fights with Casimero or Donaire this year. Either would be pretty good, but Inoue would be pretty significantly favoured.

Jake Paul will probably become only the 7th man to humiliate Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

Think that’s all the big obvious things on the immediate horizon but you never really know with boxing. There’s other big fighters out there but not all of them have an immediate narrative laid out for them.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 28, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Canelo vs Beterbiev sounds cool as poo poo actually I love that fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think all the fights Canelo has been talking about sound cool. People are sleeping on that Makabu fight too tbh, he’s a fighter. Bivol is a good boxer with enough size/power to keep other guys honest.

I’ve never been huge on Beterbiev but he is a wrecking ball for sure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jump King posted:

Anthony Joshua and Usyk will be having a big rematch for the majority of the heavyweight belts but most people think the true heavyweight king is Tyson Fury, and it’s impossible to predict what he’ll do.

Is there anyone who thinks that the best HW is not Fury for any reason other than clicks/views?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Is there anyone who thinks that the best HW is not Fury for any reason other than clicks/views?

Idk there’s gotta be some dyed in the wool Joshua fans or Fury haters or something

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Fury's no Lennox Lewis but he's surely the best HW at the moment. If Wilder gets back to KO'ing the division before he gets too old then Fury's rep will keep climbing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Fury's no Lennox Lewis but he's surely the best HW at the moment. If Wilder gets back to KO'ing the division before he gets too old then Fury's rep will keep climbing.

Oh yah, I only meant active HW, not all time.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

kimbo305 posted:

Oh yah, I only meant active HW, not all time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were. I was just trying to keep Fury in perspective. He's great but Lennox Lewis was such a goddamn beast.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The SituAsian posted:

Adrien Broner will fight and win in 2022

Broner should fight Jake Paul. I might actually watch that fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LLCoolJD posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were. I was just trying to keep Fury in perspective. He's great but Lennox Lewis was such a goddamn beast.

I'd seriously pick fury over a prime lennox

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
just watched the dvrd pbc event from xmas day. it wasnt v good

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

graph posted:

just watched the dvrd pbc event from xmas day. it wasnt v good

IIRC it was a bunch of prospects in fluffy matchups

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Trying to imagine how many people are actually out there that would actually watch this card of 4 bad heavyweight fights, let alone pay for it

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
holy moly https://twitter.com/FTB_Vids_YT/status/1477503749442596864

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My god, Martin’s controller got unplugged there

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jump King posted:

My god, Martin’s controller got unplugged there

Yeah, I have seen a lot of things but I don’t remember seeing “fighter gets hit so hard he looks away from his opponent and drops his hands for multiple seconds while staying upright, as if he has completely forgotten he is in a boxing match”

Fight really should have been stopped at or before the moment his give got caught in the rope

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Yeah, I have seen a lot of things but I don’t remember seeing “fighter gets hit so hard he looks away from his opponent and drops his hands for multiple seconds while staying upright, as if he has completely forgotten he is in a boxing match”

Fight really should have been stopped at or before the moment his give got caught in the rope

David Price did something similar against Poverkin. I recall a kickboxing match where that happened as well. Found it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVLHhNMl7f0/?utm_medium=copy_link

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Trying to imagine how many people are actually out there that would actually watch this card of 4 bad heavyweight fights, let alone pay for it

The whole card was amazing. A good night of fights. The first fight had 5 knockdowns in 3 rounds.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jump King posted:

David Price did something similar against Poverkin. I recall a kickboxing match where that happened as well. Found it:

Holy poo poo this is brutal.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jump King posted:

good god

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Lmao at the corner guys coming in for revenge

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

The whole card was amazing. A good night of fights. The first fight had 5 knockdowns in 3 rounds.

I did see that one, entertaining fight between two bad fighters. Fun fight, certainly better than the others but the matchup isn’t significant at all.

The Ortiz-Martin fight was the only one with any type of significance and even that was like tier 3. Tbh I’m all for a night of meaningless, fun heavyweight fights, but this should have been a free card. At worst, ESPN+ or something. And as it turned out half the fights on the card were boring in addition to not mattering at all.

I would have caught a stream if I was free cause I’m a degenerate but I can’t imagine this doing any kind of numbers. Like 10k views or less.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 2, 2022

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1477733508034568192?t=eNtAbuTFsIL5Se6rzai91w&s=19

Logan/+Jake Paul - Antonio Brown is back on the menu boys

:hellyeah:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Jump King posted:

Brutal, I guess the ideal move would be to check your swing and demand a stoppage from the ref.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I bitching out on my AB bet

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well it looks like Logan Paul won't be the last guy Floyd Mayweather fights, or even the last YouTuber.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Well it looks like Logan Paul won't be the last guy Floyd Mayweather fights, or even the last YouTuber.

Can I request, for the casual readers like me, linking the news items when they break? So I don't have to Google it myself.

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/1/5/22868486/floyd-mayweather-plans-boxing-return-against-money-kicks-giant-helipad-dubai-mma

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1479157306248019975?s=20'

Dammit.

At least showbox tonight should be good.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/33051680/terence-crawford-accuses-bob-arum-bias-favoring-white-latino-fighters-lawsuit-top-rank

Terence Crawford is accusing Bob Arum of being racially biased against black boxers and is suing for at least $5 million in damages. From what I've seen reported, the lawsuit cites a whole grab bag of stuff ranging from Arum's public comments that he's lost money on Crawford fights to Top Rank not putting "black lives matter" on their canvasses after George Floyd was killed.

I'm not a lawyer but my inclination is that he's going to have a tough time proving that Arum's racism kept him from millions of dollars, considering he made at least $4 million for his ESPN appearances. His big claim for damages seems to be he was expecting at least one extra fight as part of his contract, and that he also expected a Spence offer as part of the contract. If Top Rank can prove they tried in good faith to make Spence or another $5 million fight happen and simply couldn't do it, I don't think he has much of a case.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/33051680/terence-crawford-accuses-bob-arum-bias-favoring-white-latino-fighters-lawsuit-top-rank

Terence Crawford is accusing Bob Arum of being racially biased against black boxers and is suing for at least $5 million in damages. From what I've seen reported, the lawsuit cites a whole grab bag of stuff ranging from Arum's public comments that he's lost money on Crawford fights to Top Rank not putting "black lives matter" on their canvasses after George Floyd was killed.

I'm not a lawyer but my inclination is that he's going to have a tough time proving that Arum's racism kept him from millions of dollars, considering he made at least $4 million for his ESPN appearances. His big claim for damages seems to be he was expecting at least one extra fight as part of his contract, and that he also expected a Spence offer as part of the contract. If Top Rank can prove they tried in good faith to make Spence or another $5 million fight happen and simply couldn't do it, I don't think he has much of a case.

The thing about these lawsuits that's really juicy is the potential discovery but I imagine they'll settle and it will never see the light of day.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Top Rank really did gently caress with Crawford’s career but I doubt that it was in anyway that could be proven as malicious

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
After Luis Ortiz and Joseph Parker turned it down, Tony Yoka has accepted the IBF's final eliminator offer against Filip Hrgovic.

Fantastic fight between two top 5 heavyweight prospects. Hopefully it actually happens. I'm digging this recent spate of heavyweight prospects fighting each other (Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce, Efe Ajagba vs Frank Sanchez). The winner will be the IBF mandatory on top of things, which is a governing body that thankfully tends to follow its own rules.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Yeah that could be interesting. He's French boxing's juggernaut and it's going to be good to see him in a big fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They fought in the amateurs right?