Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Is BFC a public forum? I'd rather pick one that is more discrete.

BFC and PITR are both viewable when not logged in as of the time of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’ve seen ads for people to invest in this company Knightscope. They make security robots. I have to imagine this is ultimately going to be BWM. What legit company is advertising for investors instead of an IPO, or going out and getting some private investors?

They are selling pre-IPO shares it looks like. Which can be legit, a company making a product I've subscribed for for a while went IPO recently and offered (either long-time customers or completely at random based on all the reddit complaints of people going "well I've been a customer for 10 years and I didn't get the email!"!) an option to buy up to a couple hundred shares at a fixed price pre-IPO.. I had some fun money and bought 10 shares and had I sold immediately I could have doubled my money but of course this is a BWM story and I didn't and now I'd about break even if I sold.

Buy Shares in Knightscope's Public Listing posted:

Q. Can I buy shares through StartEngine? Can I use a credit card?

A. Yes, you can do that by clicking here. And yes, you can fund the transaction with credit card.

You're basically gambling that the stock will go up and you can sell it immediately and the company is gambling that enough suckers will give them free money before they have to reveal all the things a public company does and the stock price might tank.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

My accounting software was using Alphavantage to pull stock quotes, and it stopped working a little while ago. It seems that they've made the daily quote data a "premium" service that you can subscribe and pay for ... or retain access by helping them pump the ecosystem for their brand new cryptocurrency

No thanks, I'll just pull data from Yahoo instead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Need help regarding cash needed back

My father gave me a large sum of money from both him and my special needs siblings to invest into the stock market. I was 18 at the time of this transaction and of course I wasn’t ready to handle this large sun of money and ended up losing it.There was no legal contract tied to this money, and after getting kicked out of the house I am expected to pay said money back to him in full.

Is there any legal grounds for this, or due to the circumstances am I safe having not paid back this money. There is also college debt I owe him that was not contractually obligated for me to pay but I will be handing him this money in the relative future without signing a contract. Is there anything I need to do to protect myself legally? Also if he tries to press charges can I use the fact that he gave me the money of 2 disabled persons as a defense as it shows negligence?

quote:

I went through his comment history to see if there were any clues as to what he invested in.

Meme Stonks. Options. Shitcoins.

LAOP bought $220 worth of call options on LZB on or about July 6th. LZB then dropped in value and never really recovered, making those call options essentially worthless.

quote:

I was coerced into taking this deal after being extremely unsure if I wanted the money. Additionally there was no stipulation on what would happen if the money was lost to the market, instead simply stating I would gain 5 percent of the money the account made, but what would happen to the rest of the money was not stated.

quote:

If you're going to get 5% of the profits, so going big with crypto and options made sense to maximize gains. It seemed impossible to lose money on crypto for 99% of history.

Nothing could go wrong with secretly spending all of your money while trying to buy a house.

quote:

How to hide money from wife (hear me out)

Up top: I'm saving money for our 10th year wedding anniversary for a major trip. I mean ... major. There is nothing else at play, but it's a big sum of money (for us)

Anyway, we are going to start the home buying process soon and our finances will be scrutinized heavily. I don't want to have to disclose this sum of money and tip my wife off. I think she'd be equally upset to have the surprise spoiled and offended that I've hidden such a large amount of money from her, because it's just floating and could be seen as me "stealing" from the family coffers, you know? I have nothing but good intentions for this money but again, this amount would probably give her fired flag vibes.

Current idea: throw it in our personal investment portfolio, as I always keep some cash in there for opportunities. Wife has never expressed interest in having my login/looking at the current state to any amount of cash in there would not be surprising to her.

Am I under/overthinking this? Any complications I'm not foreseeing? I know I'll prob need to keep the funds in the investment account until we close, but anniversary is more than a year away so I've got all the time I'd need.

Thx.

Edit: I mentioned the relationship stuff hoping we could get it out of the way and talk about the logistic/legal implications of moving the money. If possible, I'd like to keep the discussion on that please. Thanks again.

quote:

Not quite financial advice, but are you sure your wife will be okay spending so much money on a big anniversary trip?

Because a few years ago I surprised my wife with a big expensive gift I knew she'd love, and she was PISSED that I spend so much money without consulting her.

quote:

quote:

If you and your wife have discussed this trip, maybe it would be better just to tell her, "I am going to set aside $x per month so we can take a trip for our anniversary. I want it to be a surprise so please don't ask any questions about it, but I didn't want to keep a large amount of money secret from you either."

I don't think it matters if your wife wants to go on a trip or not, if my husband spent thousands of dollars on something like this and I found out he'd been keeping the money a secret, I'd be livid. Make the details about the trip a surprise, not the money to be spent on it.

I thank you but i'd like to talk more about the aspects of moving the money and what the possible implications are, if possible.

quote:

quote:

Like a divorce because she felt betrayed and couldn’t trust you with money anymore? That kind of implications?

Especially since it seems you are combining your finances when you mention the “family coffers” so it isn’t even a gift from your own pocket but you are also pulling money from her pockets.

Please reconsider and discuss with your wife.

Thank you for your reply. However, no. I am referring to how a bank/underwriter might perceive the movement of what I consider to be a large sum from one account to another shortly before we begin the pre-approval process.

Like, whether they can see if balance was X-figures a few days ago and now it's basically zero. Can they see that? Will they even care? Does that potentially make me look riskier in some way?

I'm seeking help identifying blind spots from a financial stand point between "us" and the bank, not myself and my spouse. There's just a small modifier that I want to have receipts for why I put the money aside before I show her, so I'd like to make the sum as inconspicuous as possible without hurting out interest rate/term, etc.

quote:

quote:

Relationship advice: tell the wife you’re saving up for it but not any details about the trip. That way you can keep it a surprise.

Thank you, but any thoughts about the impacts of moving the money on a financial/home buying level?

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

Thank you for your reply. However, no. I am referring to how a bank/underwriter might perceive the movement of what I consider to be a large sum from one account to another shortly before we begin the pre-approval process.

Like, whether they can see if balance was X-figures a few days ago and now it's basically zero. Can they see that? Will they even care? Does that potentially make me look riskier in some way?

I'm seeking help identifying blind spots from a financial stand point between "us" and the bank, not myself and my spouse. There's just a small modifier that I want to have receipts for why I put the money aside before I show her, so I'd like to make the sum as inconspicuous as possible without hurting out interest rate/term, etc.

Why no I can't imagine why the mortgage underwriting industry which is famously notorious for nitpicking even minor discrepancies in financial statements would ever care why you drained an account and don't have a paper trail on where it went.

If you go look up the guy's post history he complains about his spouse constantly and posts on stocks and wallstreetbets, so what are the odds that he's actually trying to hide some massive losses.

quote:

and what the possible implications are, if possible.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That really reads like some guy trying to hide money for an impending divorce, but then buying a house is one of the worst things you could do.

That 18 year old is in a weird spot. WTF is the dad doing giving an 18 year old a bunch of money to invest. Does this kid run some investing Instagram account or something? There’s a lot of dumb poo poo happening on all ends there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

That really reads like some guy trying to hide money for an impending divorce, but then buying a house is one of the worst things you could do.

That 18 year old is in a weird spot. WTF is the dad doing giving an 18 year old a bunch of money to invest. Does this kid run some investing Instagram account or something? There’s a lot of dumb poo poo happening on all ends there.

I think the house is not being bought and the poster is using that to try and figure out how to hide assets in a divorce as hes assuming they're similar processes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

I think the house is not being bought and the poster is using that to try and figure out how to hide assets in a divorce as hes assuming they're similar processes

It's 100% this. Look at the amount of deflection from "let's not worry about my marriage/spending a bunch of a joint account on something we haven't discussed" going on.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

quote:

Thank you for your reply. However, no.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1478451735572197381

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I gotta start telling my patients to do their makeup.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
2021 is already off to a great start.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

2021 is already off to a great start.

I have bad news--or very good news--for you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

untitled username
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

“I think everything happens for a reason, and although my fart-selling days are ending, I am going to save the money I’ve made and will put some into crypto,” she added.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Don't forget:

quote:

“Even though I got backlash, I think it has opened a new door for me. I’m working on digital fart jar artwork at the moment,” Matto said.

Non-Fartable Tootin's

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sigh, better update the thread title to read "NFT stands for ' No-longer Farting into Tupperware'

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fart attack scare, please

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Non-Fungible Tupperware

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's 100% this. Look at the amount of deflection from "let's not worry about my marriage/spending a bunch of a joint account on something we haven't discussed" going on.

Also he explicitly says in his OP that his wife might get pissed finding out about the money through the process, so what’s the hell was his plan when he does eventually tell her about it?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If anything, her not producing any more fart jars can only help the collectors market

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

I would think that farting into selling empty jars on eBay is probably the lowest stress career I can think of.

I have no idea how that would give you a heart attack scare or be a career you'd throw the towel in on because of a heart attack scare.

Bad with Media: Not Farting True

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blackmet posted:

I would think that farting into selling empty jars on eBay is probably the lowest stress career I can think of.

I have no idea how that would give you a heart attack scare or be a career you'd throw the towel in on because of a heart attack scare.

Bad with Media: Not Farting True

It's explained in the article.

Short version: she was on an all bean diet to increase output and had really, really bad gas as a result.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Lol at someone giving up their fart jar business rather than just recording a video once a month and then collecting the stench off a good cheese plate or something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

greazeball posted:

Lol at someone giving up their fart jar business rather than just recording a video once a month and then collecting the stench off a good cheese plate or something.

Honestly thats what I like most about the story

Lady was producing an honest artis-anal product and refused to compromise on quality

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

honest artis-anal product

Thread title.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
A real fartist

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
You can have such bad gas it hurts your heart?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly thats what I like most about the story

Lady was producing an honest artis-anal product and refused to compromise on quality

Personal and professional integrity are giant red flags if she wants to get involved in cryptocoin token schemes though. She's either going to have nobody to work with or get absolutely rinsed by someone taking advantage of her ethics.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I am not a cardiologist, but I haven't the faintest clue on how a high bean diet lands an otherwise healthy twenty-something in the hospital with chest pain.

Other than her presumed anxiety/issues that lead her to selling farts, of course.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Severe reflux can have a lot of the same symptoms as a heart attack. Everything's packed in there pretty tightly, so if you put in a lot of air, stomach acid can be forced up.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah, your heart isn't actually impacted but it's scary as hell. My dad was convinced that he was having a heart attack and my mom rushed him to the ER in the middle of the night. Diagnosis: bad gas from eating a big omelette for dinner. BWM hospital visit but probably GWL to be overly careful with a 60yo's heart attack symptoms.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Super Librarian posted:

Yeah, your heart isn't actually impacted but it's scary as hell. My dad was convinced that he was having a heart attack and my mom rushed him to the ER in the middle of the night. Diagnosis: bad gas from eating a big omelette for dinner. BWM hospital visit but probably GWL to be overly careful with a 60yo's heart attack symptoms.

This happened to my grandpa as well. he was not a fan of his children retelling that story

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

One of my coworkers just said they paid $135 for tickets to an improv show run by a hypnotist and Colin Mochrie where Colin Mochrie performs improv while hypnotized.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that actually sounds dope

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd pay $135 to see that show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

You can see a regular live Whose Line show for ~$30. Does the hypnotist and losing the other cast members add $105 worth of value?

Also, probably not the show I would risk going to a crowded theatre for.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sure, why not?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Thieves Steal Gallery Owner’s Multimillion-Dollar NFT Collection: ‘All My Apes Gone’ posted:

Shanti Escalante-De Mattei

“I have been hacked. All my apes gone. This just sold please help me,” wrote gallery owner Todd Kramer, of New York’s Ross + Kramer Gallery, in a since-deleted tweet posted on December 30.

A phishing scam had drained his Ethereum wallet of 15 NFTs valued at a total of $2.2 million, including four apes from the “Bored Ape Yacht Club” collection. The thief seemed to have sold off many of the pieces in Kramer’s collection, and Twitter users jeered at Kramer’s bad luck, pointing out that he had bet on an unregulated, decentralized system that would be unable to help him.

“Man If only there had been some kind of Regulating authority in place that could like Insure your investments against theft and fraud,” wrote one user with the handle @anarchy_shark.

But in the end, an authority did come through. With the help of the buyers and the NFT platform OpenSea, Kramer was able to get back several of his NFTs. Five hours after his original post, he wrote, in a tweet that has also since been deleted, “Update.. All Apes are frozen,,. Waiting for opensea team to get in,,,lessons learned. Use a hard wallet…”

OpenSea’s involvement sparked major controversy, with some alleging that NFTs could not truly be decentralized if it had “frozen” some, rendering them unsellable on the platform. Others pointed out that OpenSea had only frozen user’s ability to interact with the NFT through that one site alone—they could still be bought and sold elsewhere.

Neither OpenSea nor Kramer responded to requests for comment.

Phishing scams have become more frequent as NFTs have increased in value. However, most savvy users can protect themselves by using hard wallet, also known as a cold wallet, which is physical and only connects to the internet when plugged in and engaged. Kramer had been using a so-called hot wallet, which is continuously connected to the internet and thus more vulnerable.

More common than phishing scams, however, is theft of a different kind. Some people have begun making NFTs of art that they did not create, an issue for which no easy fix has yet been developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

“Man If only there had been some kind of Regulating authority in place that could like Insure your investments against theft and fraud,” wrote one user with the handle @anarchy_shark.

username post combo?