Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

sim posted:

A word of warning for anyone planning a long distance move: DO NOT use Zippy Shell or it's sister company or whatever 1-800-Pack-Rat (they merged within the last couple years). I had to plan a sort of last minute cross country move and because of my remote destination, had limited options. Looking back on things, I wish I had just paid local movers to do the whole thing. But I went with the only "pod" like service that would deliver to my destination (Pods and Upack wouldn't). The first screw-up was they changed the pick-up date on me after I had already scheduled a flight and shuttle. At least they took $100 off the total for that confusion.

They gave me an estimate of 7-10 business days for the whole move. It's been 21 so far, with no end in site. My stuff sat in a warehouse in the city I moved from for 3 weeks. It then took almost a week to make the drive that only took me 3 days. Now it's in a warehouse 3 hours away and they won't schedule a delivery date. Every time I call it's a different problem. Supposedly their "forklift is down", which is preventing them from even scheduling. They've charged the final payment, but still have my stuff. Now they're claiming if it stays in their warehouse for another month, I'll be charged the monthly rental fee.

Kind of at my wits end with this company, but all I can do is keep calling back and complaining. Their customer service, like most companies unfortunately, is completely powerless. They usually don't know anything and I have to sit on hold for 20 minutes while they call other departments.
Sorry to hear that! At 21 days, they've effectively stolen your stuff... Check the contract you signed for their obligations to you and consult with a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Thanks for the advice. I looked into a lawyer and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. But I did file a complaint with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the BBB. If there's no movement within a week I'll come back to the lawyer idea.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Happiness Commando posted:

I really wish there was a way to filter housing ads for whether the stove is gas or electric :argh:

I feel your pain. The first thing we looked at when we entered a house was the stove. If it wasn't right, we turned around and left.

It feels like something that a Real Estate agent should be able to help with, but none of ours got it right consistently.

sim posted:

A word of warning for anyone planning a long distance move: DO NOT use Zippy Shell or it's sister company or whatever 1-800-Pack-Rat (they merged within the last couple years). I had to plan a sort of last minute cross country move and because of my remote destination, had limited options. Looking back on things, I wish I had just paid local movers to do the whole thing. But I went with the only "pod" like service that would deliver to my destination (Pods and Upack wouldn't). The first screw-up was they changed the pick-up date on me after I had already scheduled a flight and shuttle. At least they took $100 off the total for that confusion.

They gave me an estimate of 7-10 business days for the whole move. It's been 21 so far, with no end in site. My stuff sat in a warehouse in the city I moved from for 3 weeks. It then took almost a week to make the drive that only took me 3 days. Now it's in a warehouse 3 hours away and they won't schedule a delivery date. Every time I call it's a different problem. Supposedly their "forklift is down", which is preventing them from even scheduling. They've charged the final payment, but still have my stuff. Now they're claiming if it stays in their warehouse for another month, I'll be charged the monthly rental fee.

Kind of at my wits end with this company, but all I can do is keep calling back and complaining. Their customer service, like most companies unfortunately, is completely powerless. They usually don't know anything and I have to sit on hold for 20 minutes while they call other departments.
Ouch. Good luck.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sorry to hear that! At 21 days, they've effectively stolen your stuff... Check the contract you signed for their obligations to you and consult with a lawyer.

Call the cops, report your stuff stolen, tell them where you think it is. They probably won't do anything, but it's with a shot. I would consider putting in an insurance claim, too. Your company might crawl up their rear end.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

sim posted:

Did you pay with a credit card? See if they can do anything, at the very least dispute the final payment

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Call the cops, report your stuff stolen, tell them where you think it is. They probably won't do anything, but it's with a shot. I would consider putting in an insurance claim, too. Your company might crawl up their rear end.

hypnophant posted:

Did you pay with a credit card? See if they can do anything, at the very least dispute the final payment

Thanks for the ideas! I've contacted my insurance company to get that process started. I will consider disputing the credit card. That just sort of feels like the nuclear option though. I still have hope they will deliver my stuff, but if I manage to cancel their payment, they definitely will not deliver my stuff.

Another option I'm considering is paying movers on my own to pick up the stuff and deliver it, then disputing the original payment to Zippy Shell. But I don't even know if I can get access to my stuff since it's a special "pod"-like system.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sim posted:

Thanks for the ideas! I've contacted my insurance company to get that process started. I will consider disputing the credit card. That just sort of feels like the nuclear option though. I still have hope they will deliver my stuff, but if I manage to cancel their payment, they definitely will not deliver my stuff.

Another option I'm considering is paying movers on my own to pick up the stuff and deliver it, then disputing the original payment to Zippy Shell. But I don't even know if I can get access to my stuff since it's a special "pod"-like system.

Insurance probably won't do anything without a police report.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah a police report is definitely the first and best next step. That alone might be enough to get them moving. Sorry you're going through this

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Well I can't believe it, but a BBB complaint actually did some good. I only submitted it yesterday and they already sent it to Zippy Shell/Pack-Rat. A manager called me and they actually gave me a delivery date! It's a week and a half from now, for a delivery from their warehouse that's only 2.5 hours from my house, but hey, it's something! We'll see if they can actually deliver. But also, they gave me a refund of $638.95 (off a $5,500 total). I talked to my insurance and they didn't think this would qualify as stolen (yet), so I'm glad I was able to make progress without involving the police.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sim posted:

Well I can't believe it, but a BBB complaint actually did some good.

Lol

Back in the day when the 2nd generation Atari Lynx was new, there was some deal to get a free copy of the Batman Returns tie in game. Atari was refusing it, and my dad threatened a BBB complaint.

A few days later in the middle of a blizzard some mystery person rang our doorbell. Sitting there was a brown envelope containing a copy of Batman Returns for the Atari Lynx.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised the Better Business Bureau still exists. The whole thing is a racket. They're just a club that charges businesses a fee so they can display their stickers. If they get a complaint, they send it to the business. All the business has to do is respond, it doesn't matter how, and the BBB marks it as resolved. That people still care about the BB in the modern age of online reviews, yelp, and whatnot baffles me.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm surprised the Better Business Bureau still exists. The whole thing is a racket. They're just a club that charges businesses a fee so they can display their stickers. If they get a complaint, they send it to the business. All the business has to do is respond, it doesn't matter how, and the BBB marks it as resolved. That people still care about the BB in the modern age of online reviews, yelp, and whatnot baffles me.

Yelp is also a racket in a similar way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

Yelp is also a racket in a similar way.

I agree I just feel like it would have completely supplanted the BBB by now

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TIL the BBB is not a federal program. Maybe that's how the still exist. People think they have legal teeth.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

To be fair I would 90% expect a moving company to be owned and run by some grouchy old dude who still thinks his BBB rating is any way important and responds accordingly.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I finally got my stuff! But of course it didn't come without further ineptitude from Zippy Shell. The local movers they contracted to deliver up our stuff showed up to our house, an hour after their scheduled window had closed. The guy walks up to me and says "so where should I put your shell?" I was like... "you mean unload our stuff?" Confused looks all around. "You don't have an empty truck there do you?" He did. The local movers showed up at the Zippy Shell warehouse, gave them my name, and they assumed he wanted to check out an empty pod/shell and so they drove 2.5 hours to deliver nothing.

The guy tried to take the blame, but obviously Zippy Shell is a completely incompetent company. So he promises to make this right, get in his truck and drives back to the warehouse. He finally showed up to our house at like 8pm with our stuff. He said the warehouse didn't even know where our shell was, so he had to search for it himself. There was a lock on the shell that I didn't put there, so he had to break it open. Inside, a bunch of boxes had been chewed into by mice (it's an open cage that sat in a warehouse for 30 days).

But thankfully at least nothing appears to be damaged or missing, so I'm just happy this move is finally complete.

DO NOT USE ZIPPY SHELL or 1-800-PACK-RAT FFS!!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sim posted:

I finally got my stuff! But of course it didn't come without further ineptitude from Zippy Shell. The local movers they contracted to deliver up our stuff showed up to our house, an hour after their scheduled window had closed. The guy walks up to me and says "so where should I put your shell?" I was like... "you mean unload our stuff?" Confused looks all around. "You don't have an empty truck there do you?" He did. The local movers showed up at the Zippy Shell warehouse, gave them my name, and they assumed he wanted to check out an empty pod/shell and so they drove 2.5 hours to deliver nothing.

The guy tried to take the blame, but obviously Zippy Shell is a completely incompetent company. So he promises to make this right, get in his truck and drives back to the warehouse. He finally showed up to our house at like 8pm with our stuff. He said the warehouse didn't even know where our shell was, so he had to search for it himself. There was a lock on the shell that I didn't put there, so he had to break it open. Inside, a bunch of boxes had been chewed into by mice (it's an open cage that sat in a warehouse for 30 days).

But thankfully at least nothing appears to be damaged or missing, so I'm just happy this move is finally complete.

Set traps for mice now, before you see them in the house.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sim posted:

I hope you tipped that local mover well, guy sounds like a mensch.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm moving to the US from canada soon on a TN visa.

Is there anything special I'll need to do to get myself set up with an american bank account, credit card, phone plan, etc.

And what else do I need to do, I guess.

My company will give me health insurance so I think that's fine. What do I need to do to re-license/import my vehicle. What do I need to tell the canadian government to gently caress off that I'm not a canadian tax resident anymore.

Do I just leave my canadian TFSA/RRSP, investment accounts alone and not touch them?

What's the proper thread for this?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I moved from the US to the UK so I don't know the particulars of entering the US, but there's some good immigration information on r/IWantOut and links from there to particular immigration subs if there isn't a thread here. You'll have to wade through a few "don't move to the US" comments but they made a rule about that so it should be less common now. Reddit can be trash but the immigration and local subs are solid and helpful.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

As soon as you get to the US, get over to the Social Security Administration office and apply for your Social Security Number. The US uses this as a de facto ID, so until you have it expect some headaches on stuff like opening accounts.

Also make sure you get your I-94 from the CBP website so you confirm they didn’t gently caress up also because that is your proof of status for everything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This has to be in Belgium, right?

edit: Of course it is: Oostende

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 7, 2021

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
It's like someone moved in to one of those mockups they make in front of apartment complexes to make sure all the different windows, trims and paints match.

Or someone really wanted a home that looked like a motherboard if you squint.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
hi goons. I'm moving into an unfurnished apartment for 5-6 months while on business contract out of state. I made a friend so I can have stuff shipped for me to her address locally. I am happy to not have furniture but I might want something to sleep on. Was just going to use a sleeping bag until I can figure it out. I like Japanese floor mattresses, traditional futons. I like Emoor as a brand. Does anyone else have anything particular that might work well. I could maybe rent something but it might be cheaper to buy a minimal folding type mattress that I can throw in the back of my pickup truck and take home with me when contract is over. Like this
https://www.amazon.com/EMOOR-Tri-Fo...8823949&sr=8-15

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cheese Thief posted:

hi goons. I'm moving into an unfurnished apartment for 5-6 months while on business contract out of state. I made a friend so I can have stuff shipped for me to her address locally. I am happy to not have furniture but I might want something to sleep on. Was just going to use a sleeping bag until I can figure it out. I like Japanese floor mattresses, traditional futons. I like Emoor as a brand. Does anyone else have anything particular that might work well. I could maybe rent something but it might be cheaper to buy a minimal folding type mattress that I can throw in the back of my pickup truck and take home with me when contract is over. Like this
https://www.amazon.com/EMOOR-Tri-Fo...8823949&sr=8-15

There's a mattress thread, with a mattress salesman who posts in there who seems to know his poo poo, he may be helpful:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&pagenumber=20&perpage=40

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Anyone have any experience with the full-service companies like United Van Lines or Mayflower or whoever? Doing a WI->VA move fairly soon and I'm looking for a company to do it all reasonably fast. Budget is a thing but I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount. We are moving a pretty big 3BR (effectively 4BR worth of stuff) house worth of poo poo.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I'm apartment hunting right now. And I have a potential landlord asking me to go to this site and send her the result. Does this look legit?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

taiyoko posted:

So I'm apartment hunting right now. And I have a potential landlord asking me to go to this site and send her the result. Does this look legit?

Usually they just run your credit themselves as part of the application process in my experience. I've never had to submit my credit score itself when renting, but that doesn't mean it's never done. As far as I know, identityiq is as legit/bogus as any of the other credit score monitoring/reporting sites. Will they accept your credit score from anywhere that you already have access to it?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I ended up going with my gut to nope out of the whole thing when she was weirdly insistent that I pay an application fee tonight rather than after seeing the place in person in less than 24 hours. Doubly so when the "fee" was too be paid with PayPal's "friends and family," meaning that I would have no recourse to get my money back if it was a scam.

I hate every part of this apartment search poo poo, and it's only my first time. Don't want to have to go back on taking this new job, bit it looks more and more like I'll have to, because there's no way in hell I'm spending 3 hours of my day commuting for $15/hour.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Different regions have preferred places to find new places to live, so you might have an easier time searching through another source. You might want to check a regional thread here (or a regional subreddit) and see what people use in the place you're living.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

taiyoko posted:

I ended up going with my gut to nope out of the whole thing when she was weirdly insistent that I pay an application fee tonight rather than after seeing the place in person in less than 24 hours. Doubly so when the "fee" was too be paid with PayPal's "friends and family," meaning that I would have no recourse to get my money back if it was a scam.

I hate every part of this apartment search poo poo, and it's only my first time. Don't want to have to go back on taking this new job, bit it looks more and more like I'll have to, because there's no way in hell I'm spending 3 hours of my day commuting for $15/hour.

Any place asking for a credit check before you see the apartment is a scam.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thanatosian posted:

Any place asking for a credit check before you see the apartment is a scam.

That's pretty normal around here at this point. The market is irrevocably hosed.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am looking for a new leather sofa, big enough for 3 people, preferably with a pop of color, and I found this: https://www.article.com/product/15203/sven-oxford-blue-sofa, but I have never heard of this brand. Good/bad?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I’m sure you can find a discount code on a podcast anywhere.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'll look into that. My main question was if they are known for reasonable quality items. I've had my current sofa for 10 years, and I hope this new sofa can last at least as long.

Edit: Found a couple of online reviews and the cons that were mentioned are no major show stoppers.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 28, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I was looking at internet furniture and ended up going with Interior Define because they had a showroom in Chicago that I could actually sit on examples and feel the fabric options. I didn't think I'd care about the filling options since we've been using an Ikea loveseat for 15 years but I thought the down blend option was totally worth the extra $150.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I've heard positive things about article. Interior define is supposedly a really good deal, but no personally experience with either

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Is there any thread or general guide for soundproofing out there? I searched around and couldn’t find much.

I ended up moving to a detached house, which has been pretty great, but I’ve found that this place is extremely susceptible to low frequency noise, usually bass from car stereos. This place isn’t well insulated and some of the windows seem to be single paned. Even noise that doesn’t seem that loud outdoors seems to reverb like crazy inside.

I’ve been looking into various solutions but can’t find what would work. Mass loaded vinyl is out of the question since I can’t rip up the drywall, nor would I want to make huge permanent renovations in a rental.

I don’t have much of anything on my walls right now and I’m wondering how much of a difference that could make. Been looking at foam acoustic panels too, though I think that’d only do more for controlling echo inside a room.

I’m guessing my options are pretty limited without being able to add insulation or MLV. Still, I’m wondering if anyone else has been down this rabbit hole and if they found any other decent solution that didn’t break the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Nanomachine Son posted:

Is there any thread or general guide for soundproofing out there? I searched around and couldn’t find much.

I ended up moving to a detached house, which has been pretty great, but I’ve found that this place is extremely susceptible to low frequency noise, usually bass from car stereos. This place isn’t well insulated and some of the windows seem to be single paned. Even noise that doesn’t seem that loud outdoors seems to reverb like crazy inside.

I’ve been looking into various solutions but can’t find what would work. Mass loaded vinyl is out of the question since I can’t rip up the drywall, nor would I want to make huge permanent renovations in a rental.

I don’t have much of anything on my walls right now and I’m wondering how much of a difference that could make. Been looking at foam acoustic panels too, though I think that’d only do more for controlling echo inside a room.

I’m guessing my options are pretty limited without being able to add insulation or MLV. Still, I’m wondering if anyone else has been down this rabbit hole and if they found any other decent solution that didn’t break the bank.

Our audiophiles may have opinions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333