Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I read book 5 and after hearing everyone dog on book 6 (and seeing this season) I don’t think I’m going to read it. Is it possible to just start at book 7 and is the rest of the series worth reading? In my mind, it would have to get significantly better than book 5 to be worth reading. That book felt so stretched out and slow and the things happening just weren’t that amazing.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Book 6 is awesome. The stuff that has been excised from the show, the background politicking and such, is excellent. Plus it has one of the best POV chapters in the entire series. You could pick up Persepolis Rising and be mostly OK, the broad strokes of Babylon's Ashes are in the show. Start point is the same, end point looks like it's going to be roughly the same. But you'd be missing some really good character stuff.

There are bits that are annoying, mostly relating to Marco being a somewhat insufferable prick. But with the way the story is written, you only get direct interactions with him from two people, and neither of their opinions of him are positive. A bit like book/show Ashford. IMHO they're nailing Marco in the show. Yeah, Marco sucks and is annoying. He should suck and be annoying. He's a pompous, narcissistic rear end who's more obsessed with his feeding his own ego and settling personal grudges than actually building a belter nation. He's a not as smart as he thinks he is, and is a weapon pointed at the inner planets by someone much smarter than him. Keon is playing that poo poo up and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
All the books are good. By far the worst book is the first one since the authors were still kind of inexperienced at making good characters. There are more book series out there than there is time to read them all, so I'll never understand the people that went 9 books deep into this series complaining the whole time that the books were bad.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CPColin posted:

That latest episode had a lot of good character moments that would have fit in great during a season that had some loving room for such things.

The whole seasons been like this. It's not that it's bad, it just feels like nobody told them it's a short season so big stuff needs to happen a lot sooner.

It's also kinda weird how the only threat has seemed totally under control for a few episodes now. The asteroid threat was neutralized faster than expected and the raid on their secret supplies has been on the cards for a while now. It's fun to watch it play out but it feels like we're just watching the free navy's plans slowly fall apart.

Holden's disabling of the torpedo would have seemed a bigger deal if it didn't seem like such a foregone conclusion already.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Does book Holden ever get better? I got the bit in the Leviathan Wakes where he starts beaming the crew manifest of the Cant out at the people who just blew them up, and then i just gave up. Felt like some sort of Star Trek cartoon-pacifist, just insufferably dumb.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Does book Holden ever get better? I got the bit in the Leviathan Wakes where he starts beaming the crew manifest of the Cant out at the people who just blew them up, and then i just gave up. Felt like some sort of Star Trek cartoon-pacifist, just insufferably dumb.

I don’t know if he gets “better” but a lot of people certainly tell him he’s an idiot rear end in a top hat baby. And he stops acting like a spaceborne Cory Doctorow who’s dead set on Freeing Information.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I don't think a Marco redemption arc could work b/c he murdered like 20 billion people

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pattonesque posted:

I don't think a Marco redemption arc could work b/c he murdered like 20 billion people

marco nods, slowly lifting his gaze to the assembled cast of characters around him. 'i get it now. i finally understand. the inyalowda we killed... they were the real beltalowda.' everyone cheers. fade to black. fin.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

marco nods, slowly lifting his gaze to the assembled cast of characters around him. 'i get it now. i finally understand. the inyalowda we killed... they were the real beltalowda.' everyone cheers. fade to black. fin.

alex kurtzman, please log out from SA and never come back TIA

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

All the books are good. By far the worst book is the first one since the authors were still kind of inexperienced at making good characters. There are more book series out there than there is time to read them all, so I'll never understand the people that went 9 books deep into this series complaining the whole time that the books were bad.

Agree. Daniel Abraham was already a published author and was decent, but it was Ty's first thing and it shows.

Dunno which is my favorite since it's not the kind of thing I think about. Probably 5 or 8?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My first thought when Drummer slipped the Martell house words into her speech was "I wonder if Ty Franck ghostwrote any of A Feast For Crows"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Anonymous Zebra posted:

this is an insane post because miller is the best character the series ever had and makes up half the first book

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Horizon Burning posted:

this is an insane post because miller is the best character the series ever had and makes up half the first book

Never said the book was bad, just the worst of the series. The Miller chapters are really good though. It was the Holden chapters (and the thin characterizations of his crew) that dragged it down. The Miller chapters were much better written and divorced from the "RPG party on an adventure" storyline of Holden's crew.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

Mameluke posted:

My first thought when Drummer slipped the Martell house words into her speech was "I wonder if Ty Franck ghostwrote any of A Feast For Crows"

Aren’t they connected with GRRM? Part of the NM scene. (Also in book 3 Bull keeps a stash of Hatch chilis :3:)

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Ty is(was?) GRRM’s honest for real assistant…

bou
Aug 3, 2006

From the teaser they seem to deliver on the most important clash of the series in the upcoming episode.

https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1478143793417256960?s=20

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nine of Eight posted:

Ty is(was?) GRRM’s honest for real assistant…

GRRM also played PNP games with Ty, though IIRC he never played in the actual Expanse campaign that preceded the first book.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

bou posted:

From the teaser they seem to deliver on the most important clash of the series in the upcoming episode.

I mean, Avasarala is single now and the polycule did lose a member to Marco in series 5 ...

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

bou posted:

I don't know where this is going, but I am irrationally excited to see how Avasarala and Drummer are going to clash swords.

Goddamnit I've got to read the books.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Checking out so that I can enjoy both episodes back to back on the 15th

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't know where this is going, but I am irrationally excited to see how Avasarala and Drummer are going to clash swords.

Goddamnit I've got to read the books.

You should, though whatever's going on here is TV only so us filthy book readers don't entirely know where it's going either.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In the books did the Mormons end up going through the ring to their own planet?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

You should, though whatever's going on here is TV only so us filthy book readers don't entirely know where it's going either.

Yeah in the books(only a minor spoiler for the books, can't be a spoiler for the show if you've seen that teaser above) not only does she never meet Drummer but she also never meets any of the several other characters that have been rolled into show Drummer. This particular
arc is all new.

Senor Tron posted:

In the books did the Mormons end up going through the ring to their own planet?

I'll shut up about book stuff after this but I think we can agree this won't be brought up in the show: the Mormons are never really mentioned again except for a few mentions about how they're trying to sue Fred but jurisdiction is a bitch

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah in the books(only a minor spoiler for the books, can't be a spoiler for the show if you've seen that teaser above) not only does she never meet Drummer but she also never meets any of the several other characters that have been rolled into show Drummer.

they absolutely do meet in the books

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Almost through season 3, this show is so good! But it is very predictable, but I am still really addicted to watching this one or two episodes each night. Ended with the episode where a big gently caress off protomotocule thing left Venus.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Saw this on Keon Alexander's twitter and it is beautiful:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
There's a thing with the books where book 4 could've been half a book, books 5 and 6 should've been one book, books 7 and 8 also could've been one book. (and possibly 9 too but I'm still actively working through it, though its destination seems obvious and everything else seems like filler (but maybe I'm wrong!)). I'm still living in a dream world where they got off slugplanet halfway through season 4 and progressed this poo poo.

I genuinely get so mad when people say 'oh they needed more episodes' - like they crammed book 3 into like 6 episodes, which is basically 3 movies of storytelling and it was literally the peak of the show.

Game Of Thrones had something like 15 movies(!) worth of wheel-spinning before they hit their 'rushed' ending that was actually just a failure to set anything up for that absurdly garbage finale than 'they needed more episodes'.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jakabite posted:

they absolutely do meet in the books

Oh poo poo you're right, at the end of this current story I believe. My bad.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Silly inyalowda

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Almost through season 3, this show is so good! But it is very predictable, but I am still really addicted to watching this one or two episodes each night. Ended with the episode where a big gently caress off protomotocule thing left Venus.

How the heck did you predict that?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

I said come in! posted:

Oh yeah smart guy, what is the big gently caress off protomolecule thing going to do NOW?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

bou posted:

god drat it gently caress why is time real

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Oh yeah smart guy, what is the big gently caress off protomolecule thing going to do NOW?

Okay I did not expect it to turn into a loving ring, but i've read and seen enough sci-fi to predict that it was going to leave Venus. :colbert:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

god drat it gently caress why is time real

because they created it

and its reaaal

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a faaaaaaaaake

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the protomolecule… was venus all along

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

One of the most absurd and yet totally realistic things about this universe is how evidence of alien life became known, followed quickly by knowledge of it being intelligent alien life, followed by it directly interfering with the solar system, and most people continuing to squabble over how the resources could be used by humans rather than considering that it could be building to something else much bigger than us.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That whole season's background mystery is that the Protomolecule is building a THING on Venus, a WORK that needs to be completed. It was obviously going to do something at a dramatic moment.

e: also the fact that all protomolecule in the solar system is connected on a FTL basis and that it can break the laws of momentum hint heavily at what it exists to do.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

One of the most absurd and yet totally realistic things about this universe is how evidence of alien life became known, followed quickly by knowledge of it being intelligent alien life, followed by it directly interfering with the solar system, and most people continuing to squabble over how the resources could be used by humans rather than considering that it could be building to something else much bigger than us.

This is basically the central thesis to the entire series.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Hey now, it really reminded the Secretary General of the importance of cooperation and and a united humanity, and gently caress those guys over there who don't understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

logikv9 posted:

the protomolecule… was venus all along

So it went to Venus and then created a ring and then penis-shaped spaceships, many of them from Mars, kept going in and out of it? All very predictable /Freud