Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dark Cloud 2 had a bunch of really cool ideas and partially or totally fumbled the execution on all of them

Still a good game I totally want to revisit sometime soon, fully aware that I will inevitably ragequit after spending too much time and effort trying to get 100% coverage of randomly-generated dungeon mazes inside strict time limits, followed by the random maps screwing me over on the golf minigame which I have to beat the level all over again to retry if I mess it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The town-building minigame was flawless, the invention-based crafting system perhaps less so

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arzaac posted:

Are you going with Dog Rover or Bird Rover?

When I played my healing was entirely Dog Rover and Divine Herald Shaman, and the combined healing of both of those classes ended up being just enough that my medicines were for emergencies rather than a primary source of healing. Plus, Shaman has a ton of utility and Dog Rover can still throw out a bunch of damage.

...Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever ran a pure healing class in Etrian Odyssey. They just seem so boring in comparison, and usually there's an alternative that's also pretty good at support/damage.
Sounds like a good idea, I forgot the dog heals. I only played it for an hour last night so I've just had the 4 points to allocate so far.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Arzaac posted:

...Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever ran a pure healing class in Etrian Odyssey. They just seem so boring in comparison, and usually there's an alternative that's also pretty good at support/damage.

The first EO game I played was EO3 and I think I used a Prince as my source of healing for the first 4 or 5 stratums. Though I also farmed to get a Yagrush once I hit the 3rd or 4th stratum which then turned into a chaser samurai with a club and I'd just bulldoze through FOEs the game wanted you to avoid.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

playing dark cloud 2 after years of hearing people speak of it so positively and then just being annoyed with how everything plays in it was an eye opening experience for me

dark cloud 2 is 100% carried by whether you like the aesthetic and the idea of a ps2 rpg that does absolutely every single thing it possibly can

has it been mentioned that the founder of level 5 made overblood 2 yet. a game that tried to do every single possible thing despite not even having the budget to make decent 3d environments.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Colonel posted:

has it been mentioned that the founder of level 5 made overblood 2 yet.

this makes overblood 2 make so much more sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ni no kuni 1 was so bad it made me hate ghibli movies

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Colonel posted:

dark cloud 2 is 100% carried by whether you like the aesthetic and the idea of a ps2 rpg that does absolutely every single thing it possibly can

has it been mentioned that the founder of level 5 made overblood 2 yet. a game that tried to do every single possible thing despite not even having the budget to make decent 3d environments.

At the time it came out it was awesome. It has aged very poorly.

The town building aspect was great but everything else was tedious. The invention system that required you to take pictures of random poo poo and then come up with inventions that you can’t make for half the game due to lack of resources was bad. Also Max got a loving sick robot ride as his special but Monica got the awful ability to transform into lovely monsters. And the golf thing was dumb but I think those medals only unlocked outfits? It was a bloated game but at the time everybody was trying to cram as much content into games as possible!

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Dark Cloud is my all time favourite game but I could never get into DC2 and I have no idea why.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Phantasium posted:

tbh i like the first game better
i like the first game more until i remember what combat in it feels like

and the game is still like 50% combat so no thanks

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Arzaac posted:

When I played my healing was entirely Dog Rover and Divine Herald Shaman, and the combined healing of both of those classes ended up being just enough that my medicines were for emergencies rather than a primary source of healing. Plus, Shaman has a ton of utility and Dog Rover can still throw out a bunch of damage.

The ones in 1 and 4 can be used as hybrid attacking units whenever they don't have to heal, which makes them quite a bit less one dimensional. I vastly prefer that approach over the "you have to be a healbot and nothing else" for some of its class design a lot of the other EO games went with before the latest ones dropped that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Colonel posted:

do you like level 5 games

Well, there's the Professor Layton series!

FishMcCool posted:

Now THAT is a crossover I'd want to see.

I think someone was making a romhack for this, but it fell through.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

i like the first game more until i remember what combat in it feels like

and the game is still like 50% combat so no thanks

It was atrocious! There was also an optional postgame tower that was like 50 or 100 floors and even with maxed out stats and weapons the enemies on the higher floors were invincible and could one-shot you and then the boss ended up just being some random knight on a horse with no explanation. I watched my sister beat the boss and it was kind of funny how stupid it was. The optional dungeon/boss in Dark Cloud 2 were at least kind of fun.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Draga posted:

Dark Cloud is my all time favourite game but I could never get into DC2 and I have no idea why.
While DC1 isn't my actual favorite, this is my opinion as well, so you're not alone :shobon:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

Ni no kuni 1 was so bad it made me hate ghibli movies

Remember when Level 5 made a DS version of NnK 1 to make money from the DS's bigger install base ... and then didn't bring it over to the West because they didn't want to translate the huge-rear end book they packaged with it that was necessary to complete the game?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you want to call the game's first ever release a "version" then sure

also i don't know why you're framing this as bad the fact that they made a game that comes with a massive tome owns and the latter versions of the game are much less interesting

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The fan translation translated the book.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The town building game in DC2 was also a downgrade from the first game. At least they made fishing suck moderately less.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I never played the first one, but I thought Ni No Kuni 2 was a lot of fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I liked the monster designs in the first one and I am an absolute sucker for any monster collector, but it was pretty bad. The second removing that aspect killed any interest I had in it because it was the only remotely interesting part of the first.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Mr. Maltose posted:

The town building game in DC2 was also a downgrade from the first game. At least they made fishing suck moderately less.

The fishing in DC1 isn't too bad. I never want to try for the Baron Garayan ever again though. Only ever caught it once and that was a decade ago, if not more.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Draga posted:

The fishing in DC1 isn't too bad. I never want to try for the Baron Garayan ever again though. Only ever caught it once and that was a decade ago, if not more.

It’s far from the worst fishing mini game but it’s extremely barebones and unlike a lot of the things Dark Cloud 2 does what gets added to the fishing is mostly improvements. Although the lure fishing is probably a polarizing mechanic come to think of it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Arzaac posted:

4 has the most bonkers version of the pure healer I've ever seen. Auto revive is nuts

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pure healers in EO are definitely not necessary and usually less fun than hybrid and secondary healers. Same with tanks.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

eo2u's story party having a Protector like the eo1u one is pissing me off, especially since it gives you a teaser of the new Beast tank class. at least the character is funny

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hacker's Memory seems like a decent step up from CS in terms of like..polish and stuff. They do some clever things with the talk models.

Also it runs and looks shockingly good for a late Vita game. God bless MediaVision.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dark Cloud’s town building was extremely linear to the point of being boring. “Plop down this building you found and attach these other very specific things you found.” DC2 at least gave you some creative freedom. The requirements were more open to interpretation and you could build different buildings and stuff but still meet them. I enjoyed that.

Also, I just got to the point where I was able to promote my units in Shining Force II (at level 30, a happy medium) and somehow it didn’t occur to me that promoting a Knight to a Pegasus Knight would literally transform them into a Pegasus-centaur hybrid. I’m so used to Pegasus riders in Fire Emblem that I was surprised and also confused. Like, he was holding a Pegasus wing and somehow the priest used magic to attach the wings to Rick and now he’s a different species?! :byodood:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Vaguely remember Clash of Heroes? An uncommonly seen Eng/Viet combo game apparently also has against all odds for the coming future and it surely looks nifty.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479810/Legendary_Hoplite/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, I just got to the point where I was able to promote my units in Shining Force II (at level 30, a happy medium) and somehow it didn’t occur to me that promoting a Knight to a Pegasus Knight would literally transform them into a Pegasus-centaur hybrid. I’m so used to Pegasus riders in Fire Emblem that I was surprised and also confused. Like, he was holding a Pegasus wing and somehow the priest used magic to attach the wings to Rick and now he’s a different species?! :byodood:
Would've been worse if he was a centaur riding a pegasus, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The 7th Guest posted:

Sounds like a good idea, I forgot the dog heals. I only played it for an hour last night so I've just had the 4 points to allocate so far.

The dog can work as your only healer, tbh.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Vaguely remember Clash of Heroes? An uncommonly seen Eng/Viet combo game apparently also has against all odds for the coming future and it surely looks nifty.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479810/Legendary_Hoplite/

This looks more like a tower defense game than Clash of Heroes, which was more of a block puzzler.

Clash of Heroes was great though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kay Kessler posted:

Remember when Level 5 made a DS version of NnK 1 to make money from the DS's bigger install base ... and then didn't bring it over to the West because they didn't want to translate the huge-rear end book they packaged with it that was necessary to complete the game?

Isn't it the same book as the one they included with the White Wizard edition on PS3 too?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

WrightOfWay posted:

Pure healers in EO are definitely not necessary and usually less fun than hybrid and secondary healers. Same with tanks.

Especially in 5, Earthruns have a decent single-target heal as their level 1 union skill that's quite easy to spam. I ran 2 Necromancers as the only other heal sources and it was manageable enough.

On that topic, 5's cannoneer Dragoon might be one of my favorite classes of the series. A primary tank/defensive support who can also easily shift gear into a damage dealer and controller might have been a bit overtuned, but it made the class a blast to play.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would have rather have an XCX sequel that takes place a few years after tbh.

Thiissssssssss

gently caress that ending so hard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are on sale for about 5 bucks each at the moment if you didn't get them for free years ago

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Took me 11h in Ara Fell (The Deeps dungeon) to realise that skills could be upgraded and that I had enough stones for 2/3 skill upgrades per character and 15 stones for skill options... Things got a lot easier all of a sudden... :doh:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are on sale for about 5 bucks each at the moment if you didn't get them for free years ago

Academic curiosity here, but how is Lost Odyssey remembered these days? I had it on 360, think I even got it on release. Back then I played RPGs more for spectacle and less for mechanics. All I can remember now is climbing a mountain and getting pasted by a first boss and putting it down, though I was really interested in it at the time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I beat it a few years ago. Epic.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

Especially in 5, Earthruns have a decent single-target heal as their level 1 union skill that's quite easy to spam. I ran 2 Necromancers as the only other heal sources and it was manageable enough.

On that topic, 5's cannoneer Dragoon might be one of my favorite classes of the series. A primary tank/defensive support who can also easily shift gear into a damage dealer and controller might have been a bit overtuned, but it made the class a blast to play.

Yeah, Dragoon's amazing. Their ability to actually deal damage while defending is amazing, given that protector type characters usually just spam Line Guard every single turn. I don't think they're necessarily overtuned though, because EOV is just chock full of amazing classes. Etrian Odyssey games tend to have a lot of classes that attempt an archetype and fail to deliver, but V knocks it out of the park with like every class.

IMO the only exception is Spirit Evoker. Spirit Broker gets a lot of cool attack skills and Zombie Powder. Spirit Evoker gets...a handful of unreliable support moves, an ice version of a basic necromancer skill, the ability to normal attack with Ghosts a bunch, and a curse skill. Their petrification skill seems solid at least, but the rest of their stuff just feels lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Everyone loves those little stories in Lost Odyssey, but I always disliked them. Not because they were boring or poorly written or anything, they were just incredibly incongruous with the rest of the game.

Like, really good RPG with good mechanics and visual spectacle, then suddenly ... Listen to an audiobook for a few minutes. I just wanted to play a fun game, so I found myself skipping over them more often than not. Which is a shame because, as mentioned, they were really interesting stories. But it'd be like putting a text crawl in a film three or four times about random characters seen in the background.

Just wish there was a better way to present those stories, mechanically speaking.