Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
I have been doing a playthrough of DSIII where i have to parry every single parryable enemy in the game with the katana weapon art and u know what its dope. so do that. feels good to just pop iron flesh and then sit there stanced up in your weapon art. im trying not to get msyelf FromSofted-out before Elden Ring comes out but its really hard rn cuz this is making me want to Sekiro so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
My first attempt with Sekiro was on Xbox One which has since stopped working. I now have bought a copy for my original PS4 which has also just stopped working. This is insane. I am enjoying it so much more this time around. It is pure combat. Is it the most difficult game ever made? For me it seems to be.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Due to a combination of insomnia and Distortion2's (Souls speedrunner) first Sekiro playthrough video coming up on my youtube feed I spent a few interesting hours last night. Watching someone completely ignore stealth, mostly ignore tools, and bounce around like crazy while the sidebar had their hour-and-25 all bosses speedrun right next to it was kinda weird.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Does Amazon ship preorder games before the release date? Or do they wait for it to officially drop?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Amazon is almost always late in my experience

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You're not buying physical copies of games in 2022after 2015 are you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

codo27 posted:

It's been so long since I've bought one I can't even remember what it was.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I bought Returnal and the new Ratchet & Clank physical because it was quite a bit cheaper than the digital prices

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

huh posted:

My first attempt with Sekiro was on Xbox One which has since stopped working. I now have bought a copy for my original PS4 which has also just stopped working. This is insane. I am enjoying it so much more this time around. It is pure combat. Is it the most difficult game ever made? For me it seems to be.

Mailer posted:

Due to a combination of insomnia and Distortion2's (Souls speedrunner) first Sekiro playthrough video coming up on my youtube feed I spent a few interesting hours last night. Watching someone completely ignore stealth, mostly ignore tools, and bounce around like crazy while the sidebar had their hour-and-25 all bosses speedrun right next to it was kinda weird.

I definitely find it to be the easiest of all the FROM games now that I've beaten it a few times. Once you wrap your head around it the combat just sings.

I also barely use stealth or tools at all unless a boss CLEARLY is overpowered by them. The bull, Gyobu, Corrupted Monk (illusion) etc. The rest just pure attack and parry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sucks that in the original timeline we'd only be three weeks away.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

codo27 posted:

I’m getting the CE baby. 🥳

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll buy physical PS5 games because $70 is way too much for a video game if it doesn’t come with an art book I’ll flip through once or a soundtrack CD I’ll never listen to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

codo27 posted:

They cost less and get here for release day so yeah

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sakurazuka posted:

They cost less and get here for release day so yeah

sometimes you even get the physical copy, accidentally, BEFORE release day!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I buy physical on console because it's always $20 cheaper in AU. PC games tend to turn quickly into constant sales but console prices are evergreen.

bows1 posted:

I also barely use stealth or tools at all unless a boss CLEARLY is overpowered by them. The bull, Gyobu, Corrupted Monk (illusion) etc. The rest just pure attack and parry.

I'll asscreed around all day if you let me. I'll also abuse stuns/smokebombs/anything to cheap out fights. If there was an award for it in Tsushima I'd have Least Honorable. A lot of the ER network test was wide-open but I'm hoping the full game at least has a little bit of sneaking action beyond just random mooks.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Sum Gai posted:

I'm not entirely sure how sarcastic you're being- while the second article is pretty positive, the first article all but says that Sekiro doesn't actually have themes.

Hmm? When you talk about the first article, you are referring to The Unkind-Faced Buddha, right? Let's see if there's anything in that article that suggests Sekiro might have themes:

"the scene in the Dilapidated Temple reads a few ways: as the Sculptor’s penance, a way to “pay for his own mistakes,” in the gloss from the priestess found near the Demon of Hatred fight; as an illustration of the cycle of wrath that traps shinobi like the Sculptor and Sekiro, who follows the Sculptor’s Idols through the game, and carves one himself in the default ending; or as the Sculptor, the only older man in the story lacking an adopted or dead child, surrounding himself with a sort of stunted brood. But the discarded Buddhas are most striking, I think, as a simple admission that making art is hard."

Okay, let's break that down. This article claims that the game contains a scene that can be read multiple ways. Some of those ways involve cycles of wrath and parenthood. Another involves parallels between the sculptor and game devs. That sounds like three themes to me. Sorry, I am probably misunderstanding what you are asking.

As for the level of sarcasm, none. I watched some youtube videos about Sekiro, it seemed cool but not my type of game, and when I was sifting through the BPM archives I enjoyed this chance to get a vicarious look at what Sekiro's deal might be. If I recall correctly, BPM actually had 4 Sekiro articles, but I did not find the others quite as memorable.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 4, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mailer posted:

I buy physical on console because it's always $20 cheaper in AU. PC games tend to turn quickly into constant sales but console prices are evergreen.

I do a bit of both. If it's something I know I'll love and want immediately I'll digital. Like I've got HZW and Elden Ring waiting to download. R&C plus the launch games I got on disc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tatsuta Age posted:

sometimes you even get the physical copy, accidentally, BEFORE release day!

Good point, I'd better check I have mine preordered with the place that 'accidentally' sends them out a day or two early lol

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hi thread I just booked a week off work for the release of elden ring so it will probably be delayed now, sorry!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bows1 posted:

I only used the axe and spear I think. I didn't even buy the firecrackers until super late and then never used them anyway.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Frankston posted:

Hi thread I just booked a week off work for the release of elden ring so it will probably be delayed now, sorry!

You bastard. Admittedly, I was responsible for the initial delay by booking leave, but now you've done it again.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
52 days kids. Remember, always pre-order (fromsoft games) because it will make them feel nice and fuzzy inside and continue to create games that are the exact opposite of Final Fantasy (good)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Aidan_702 posted:

52 days kids. Remember, always pre-order (fromsoft games) because it will make them feel nice and fuzzy inside and continue to create games that are the exact opposite of Final Fantasy (good)

Oh my, poor fellow has finally gone hollow [sinister laughter]

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i give my money to hidetaka because he is well and truly the best uwu

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I finished Dark Souls for the first time this morning (yay!) but did not realize that defeating Gwyn and choosing an ending immediately boots you into NG+ (boo), so now I gotta play NG+ to do the DLCs (honestly...yay). Thankfully NG+ on these games is super fast, because I need to play DS2 before ER drops too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Congrats! Did you perpetuate Gwyn's age of fire, or did you do the right thing?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You know, I kind of assumed it was like Sekiro, and that the ending I got would be determined by whether I talked to some NPC at a particular spot with a particular item in my inventory halfway through the game, so I just kindled that last bonfire without even thinking that I could just walk away.

Then I went to look up the endings online and, welp, it does seem like I goofed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:hmmyes: and so the Chosen Undead, unaware that there even was an alternative, perpetuated the systems of power that ensured the continued rule of the Gods. A perfect ending to your first playthrough imo

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah you're supposed to be a mark on your first playthrough. You wouldn't really get the impression that there's a better choice available unless you talk to an NPC that you only meet if you kill the Four Kings somewhat early in the game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm kinda always suspicious of narratives that are provided for me, and Anor Londo and Gwynevere seemed a bit too clean and untouched by anything going on, and i was overall getting a bad vibe about my quest, so when i saw Gwyn's hollowed rear end in the kiln i was like "no loving way is that gonna be me" so after beating him i just walked right back out the door I'd entered from lol

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I, on the other hand, wanted to have a look around this kiln of the first flame before I made any decisions, took a step too far and it’s all “hail dark lord” I’m not complaining, mind you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It'd have been pretty great if they let you step back into the kiln real quick with an embarrassed wave. "Sorry! Sorry, I was just looking around."

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Aidan_702 posted:

FFVIIRemako was real good. The combat was easily as deep as a Souls game. Doing 4 distinct characters and giving them all fun playstyles was a feat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:hmmyes: and so the Chosen Undead, unaware that there even was an alternative, perpetuated the systems of power that ensured the continued rule of the Gods. A perfect ending to your first playthrough imo

Perpetuated the systems of power that ensure the continued rule of those same systems of power, not really the gods.

The gods in Dark Souls have long since stopped being beneficiaries of the Age of Fire (there is no beneficiary) in Dark Souls 1, as both Gwyn and Gwyndolin show. The Age of Fire exists to perpetuate the Age of Fire, it is self justifying.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah that's a really good point, and true

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

all miyazaki games are political, unlike Call of Duty games

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It’s the 5th of January so it’s basically already over and then it’s just a couple weeks of February (fake month) and then it’s Elden Ring time

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

One thing I liked about Dark Souls 1 is that there's not really a right answer. The guy who tells you to end the age of fire is implied to be about as trustworthy as Patches, so he sells you on it being an age of man when the gods will lose all control... but there's not really much to make you trust that.

Then there's everyone who wants to extend the age of fire, which will mean that the current status quo keeps rumbling on for awhile, until someone else has to do it.

One of the many Dark Souls Lore Youtubers once posted a video on a theory that Dark Souls 2 and 3 are the result of a timeline split:

Dark Souls 3 follows the lighting of the first flame ending of Dark Souls 1. Lodran, Anor Londo, it survives, the light rages on... and slowly everything tumbles down, like you see in the game.

Dark Souls 2 follows the dark lord ending of Dark Souls 1. This is why Drangleic is the location with the remains of the first flame, not Lodran and Anor Londo. Because they were utterly destroyed in the age of Dark, and were eventually rebuilt into a new kingdom.

I kinda like the theory even if I think it's 100% not true. We all know DS3 went back to the DS1 locations because people were angry babies about DS2 not being a direct sequel in the same places.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

After a series of late nights, and a sale, I did the thing and installed Sekiro again last night. It's a lot more videogame and less brutal dexterity challenge than I was led to believe. It's very, very much not a souls game and finishing it is in doubt, but three bosses and a handful of minibosses in it was a pretty good evening.

KittyEmpress posted:

We all know DS3 went back to the DS1 locations because people were angry babies about DS2 not being a direct sequel in the same places.

The greatest crime is tossing DS2 entirely out instead of sifting out the good qualities it had. DS3 is easily my least-played game in the series despite being the most technically competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I started DS2 last month and got stuck inside some giant unfair and unfun windmill full of gank squads, long range missile lobbers, poison urns everywhere, a mimic... Just the worst unfun level design. I beat my head against it over 20 times, learning from my mistakes and making little progresses but hating every second until I finally gave up.

I went hollow.