Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
3 as in pi, 2 as in e, [unintelligible] as in Graham's number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Max Peck posted:

3 as in pi, 2 as in e, [unintelligible] as in Graham's number

Well poo poo.

Reading the Wikipedia entry for graham’s number has resulted in about forty freshly opened tabs in this browser instance. Thanks I think.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

when i was a kid i had a phobia of looking up at very tall structures from the ground because i felt like i was going to be somehow transported to the top. reading the graham's number wiki article gives me a similar feeling

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

divabot posted:

"is that a capital two"

(he meant an @)

I was playing a stupid game over the weekend that actually made the number keys output the symbols above them if capslock was on. I had never encountered that before.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Well poo poo.

Reading the Wikipedia entry for graham’s number has resulted in about forty freshly opened tabs in this browser instance. Thanks I think.

Weedle posted:

when i was a kid i had a phobia of looking up at very tall structures from the ground because i felt like i was going to be somehow transported to the top. reading the graham's number wiki article gives me a similar feeling

The hilarious part about Graham's number is that it is simply an upper bound for an older proof of the number of ways you can color a hypercube and has since been more narrowly defined.

Though if you took the entire observable universe, and divided it up into Planck volumes (A cube with a Planck Length on each side) and stored one base-10 digit of Graham's number in every one of the cubes generated this way, you still would not have enough room to store the number.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DelphiAegis posted:

The hilarious part about Graham's number is that it is simply an upper bound for an older proof of the number of ways you can color a hypercube and has since been more narrowly defined.

Though if you took the entire observable universe, and divided it up into Planck volumes (A cube with a Planck Length on each side) and stored one base-10 digit of Graham's number in every one of the cubes generated this way, you still would not have enough room to store the number.

For years I thought Graham's number was the undisputed champion of BIG NUMBERS. Last year I learned about Rayo's Number
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3l0fPHZja8

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

TREE(3) will always be my personal favorite.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao this is giving me flashbacks to when I worked in a computer shop and would speed up customers’ PCs by uninstalling Norton.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1478479483585933312?s=21

Somehow they keep making it worse

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Entropic posted:

lmao this is giving me flashbacks to when I worked in a computer shop and would speed up customers’ PCs by uninstalling Norton.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1478479483585933312?s=21

Somehow they keep making it worse

McAfee is rolling in his grave.

Because he's so mad he died before he got to do a good crypto scam.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Relentless posted:

McAfee is rolling in his grave.

Because he's so mad he died before he got to do a good crypto scam.

Norton didn't even roll their own, the cowards, they're just using users' PCs to mine Etherium, McAfee would have had his own McAfeeCoin and would be minting NFTs of his whale-loving tweets.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

they're mining Eth so they can actually cash out

pretty sure nobody would be interested in pumping NortonKoin

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Potato Salad posted:

they're mining Eth so they can actually cash out

pretty sure nobody would be interested in pumping NortonKoin

that's why McAfee would have done it better, he'd be running a meme-fueled pump-n-dump on WhaleCoin

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Entropic posted:

that's why McAfee would have done it better, he'd be running a meme-fueled pump-n-dump on WhaleCoin

And he would have threatened people with burning down the rain forest if the *didn't* spend any WhaleFuckingKoin

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We live in the best/worst timeline

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Entropic posted:

ayy okay I see what you meant

and yes, you're dead right

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah ol john knew a thing or two about pump-and-dumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRQmhwhBcEk

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Weedle posted:

You and I are now enemies.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Weedle posted:

belongs in the more poo poo that pisses you off thread

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A recruiter email came in:

The Email posted:

Happy New Year!

Robert Half Technology has a client located in East Lansing who is looking to hire an IT Coordinator to oversee their small environment (smaller than 50 employees) where you will be the SINGLE IT PERSON within the organization. 

You will serve as the Help Desk providing level 1 support all the way up to the highest level of networking, server, and security support that you are comfortable with (with the help of a 3rd party that they use when needed). 

You MUST HAVE prior experience overseeing a small IT department making decisions that impact the future landscape of the IT department and company. 

The pay goes up to $75k depending on experience level

I thought about sanitizing the recruiting company and the location, but meh.

That was my laugh for tonight.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlexDeGruven posted:

fellow Michigoon?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Poor bastard that takes that job. You couldn’t pay me enough.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Robert Half is the only recruiting company that's an instant no for me.

but regardless,

GreenNight posted:

Poor bastard that takes that job. You couldn’t pay me enough.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A few years back I ran an on-site pentest for a dude who was doing that job for a credit union, but didn't care about the result because they had decided they didn't need IT staff and were ditching him the next month.

:psyduck:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

fellow Michigoon?

Yes sir.

There was a mini IT Michigoon meetup the Feb before everything shut down, but I wasn't able to make the date.

Renegret posted:

Robert Half is the only recruiting company that's an instant no for me.

Yeah. I apologized for being flippant in my response, but literally told them lol good luck.

Work yourself to death 14-16hr/day and be oncall 24/7. Guarantee the head of the company says things like "we're really more like a family here!" and other such red flag bullshit.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 6, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The company are better off seeing what MSP they can get for their budget at that point, at least then you have a bus factor greater than one.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

fellow Michigoon?

same here

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:respek:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Thanks Ants posted:

The company are better off seeing what MSP they can get for their budget at that point, at least then you have a bus factor greater than one.

It looks like they have an MSP on call if needed but lol you are going to have to write up a novel to justify them paying for a few hours of their time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yes sir.

There was a mini IT Michigoon meetup the Feb before everything shut down, but I wasn't able to make the date.

I wasn't even invited! Sheesh, I know I post about how I hate people and love working from home, but a man likes to feel wanted. (Edit: no, my feelings are not actually hurt, it's cool.)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I have a client I've been trying to see about upgrading their internet from 20/20 to gigabit fiber. They pay $900 a month for a connection that was considered mediocre in 2005.

I have spent 6 hours over 3 days trying to get AT&T to give me info on upgrading but not one single department can even find their account number anywhere.

Turns out, this connection is so old, that the branch of AT&T that supported it doesn't even exist anymore. I literally can't do anything with it.

But I can convert it into a small business account that is 1gig up/down for $150 a month.

They've been paying $900 a month for this connection for over 15 years

So I get to tell these people I'm about to increase their internet speed 50x while also saving them $700 a month. I better get some kudos for this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I wasn't even invited! Sheesh, I know I post about how I hate people and love working from home, but a man likes to feel wanted. (Edit: no, my feelings are not actually hurt, it's cool.)

On Feb 4 2020 I directly quoted one of your posts with my contact info and asked anyone interested in a meetup to contact me so I could coordinate something. Several people reached out and we eventually met up for some beers. You never did. :colbert:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I swear you were on the email chain. But then real names and forum names sometimes don't match up in my brain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

So I get to tell these people I'm about to increase their internet speed 50x while also saving them $700 a month. I better get some kudos for this.

It's AT&T though so you will have them put the order in and then they will get cut off, and then after you complain someone will tell you the only thing the company can offer to that location will be DSL. So don't celebrate too early.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Well they already have fiber. It’s just an insanely old account. I’m not worried about the infrastructure.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

larchesdanrew posted:

We all know the way this is going to go. They don't want to change a loving thing even if it benefits them...I don't even know how to calculate the benefit. And you're going to get in deep dogshit for even suggesting that this client do this thing and and :byodood:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Well they already have fiber. It’s just an insanely old account. I’m not worried about the infrastructure.

Famous last words? :v:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

larchesdanrew posted:

would you say....

<cough>

it's none of your concern?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

It's a telecom. They'll find a way to gently caress it up.

That's what the cynic in me says.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'm trying to stay positive.

I have to stay positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sirotan posted:

On Feb 4 2020 I directly quoted one of your posts with my contact info and asked anyone interested in a meetup to contact me so I could coordinate something. Several people reached out and we eventually met up for some beers. You never did. :colbert:

You're in my outbox! I will send another email just to get on your radar for next time. Sorry for the derail, thread.