Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

tangy yet delightful posted:

In previous homes my clothes dryer has been right next to an exterior wall so the vent length was a couple feet at most. In my current place it's on the second floor and vents some amount of up and out the side of the house with "net equivalent length" of 20ft. Based on my homes layout I believe it to be under that actual length but with a few bends in it.

What's the best way to clean it out? My dryer still works fine but I want to be proactive here in keeping efficiency up and fire hazards down.

We got this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-LintEater-Rotary-Cleaning/dp/B0014CN8Y8

And the extension kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-R3203612-12-Foot-Extension-White/dp/B001652LO6/

We have a similarly long dryer vent... with all the extensions connected, we still stop short like 1' from the dryer hookup. Close enough for us, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I rechecked the grading around the house and it's all good except one spot around the AC unit.

There is a slight grade towards the house, which would explain some of the water problems. Problem is that it is big stone slabs, not dirt.

Is there an easy way to fix the grading that doesn't involve tearing them up and adding soil?

Also, in that same area, there's one of those old in-ground garbage cans. I'm going to pull it out and fill it with cement. I bet it's holding a ton of water when it rains.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm just gonna say don't fill a big hole with cement, instead use some rocks maybe and regular dirt.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Also, in that same area, there's one of those old in-ground garbage cans. I'm going to pull it out and fill it with cement. I bet it's holding a ton of water when it rains.

Yeah don't do that unless you have a motorcycle theft problem you're simultaneously solving. I would dump in some cheap pebbly rocks and some fill dirt. Tamp it down as you go - like every 6". How big is "an old in-ground garbage can"?

If it's far enough from your house, now is your chance to plant a tree. Sounds like the hole is dug.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's the size of a standard metal cylinder trash can. They are supposed to be waterproof(ish) because of the zinc coating but this one has clearly rusted out and just collects water.

Unfortunately it is right up against the foundation. So close in fact that I can't open it all the way because it hits the sill.

I'll forego the cement. However, I still have to figure out how to fix the grading somewhat soon. I spent some time back there today and watched where the water is pooling near said trash can. I've got some dams set up but that's highly temporary.

Also, anyone have issues with downspouts not being able to keep up? Edit: looks like I need to rent a cable cleaner, lol.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 5, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

And what are those? Because to me that includes a perimeter drain and sumps.

Inzombiac posted:

I meant the normal items like ensuring the gutters are clear, moving the drainage farther away, checking the grade near the house. Basically anything I can do with my extremely minimal experience.

I've filed a claim and am hoping they'll cover a drain and/or a pump.

Natural-source groundwater entry such as you are experiencing will not be covered by any homeowners policy.

We tried all the same things the you did: gutters, drainage, etc. If it 's coming up from below, your only recourse is to install a french drain system.

My wife & I saved for five years to have a french drain/sump pump system installed. The worst part was emptying the basement. We've had no issues for over 20-years.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 5, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think it's been mentioned before, but it's worth mentioning again.

Your homeowners policy is there for major or catastrophic claims only (in my opinion). I wouldn't even think about filing a claim for less than 10K of damages, maybe up to 15K before I'd file a claim. I've got a 1% deductible so I'm on the hook for the first 4K anyway. It shouldn't be this way, but the increased premiums over the next few years when it comes time to renew will probably end up costing more than just paying a minor claim out of pocket.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good things to consider, thanks.

I haven't officially filed a claim yet, as I'm waiting for the agent to call back. Local contractors are booked up quite a ways out so I'll just have to keep shopvacing the water away as it comes out.

It's far too wet and cold to install a french drain myself. That and I'm SUPER out of shape.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Tezer posted:

I'm a residential estimator

For you or anyone, is there a logical go to order of things to decide on to get the same style? ie vanity then floor, floor then vanity? vanity -> sink -> faucit -> floor -> towel bars?

I find it overwhelming browsing for each of these, thinking nah i should get this other thing figured first, repeat for each type.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone know of a disposal that's shorter than the Badger 500 Standard Series at 11.5"? I underestimated the crazy depth of the new sink (it's like a small bathtub) so my current definitely won't fit and it's gonna be tight getting any kind of disposal in there. So shorter the better.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Good things to consider, thanks.

I haven't officially filed a claim yet, as I'm waiting for the agent to call back. Local contractors are booked up quite a ways out so I'll just have to keep shopvacing the water away as it comes out.

It's far too wet and cold to install a french drain myself. That and I'm SUPER out of shape.

And water that "comes up out of the ground" is flood insurance. If you don't have this specific thing you shouldn't file a claim because it's 100% not covered. I don't even need to know which insurance carrier you are, just that you're in the USA. (Are you?) If the water got into your house before touching the ground through a sudden failure of something not due to age or construction defect then your insurance might cover it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone know of a disposal that's shorter than the Badger 500 Standard Series at 11.5"? I underestimated the crazy depth of the new sink (it's like a small bathtub) so my current definitely won't fit and it's gonna be tight getting any kind of disposal in there. So shorter the better.

Well consumer reports says, "There is no standard size for garbage disposals—the models we tested were 10 to 15 inches high, 5 to 9 inches wide, and 6 to 13 inches deep."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/garbage-disposals/buying-guide/index.htm

So one must exist that's 1.5" shorter but I don't have access.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been without a disposal for several years and now I don't think I'll put one in with my remodel.

I just have a little mesh strainer on the bottom of the sink drain and shake it over the trash can when it fills up.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

In previous homes my clothes dryer has been right next to an exterior wall so the vent length was a couple feet at most. In my current place it's on the second floor and vents some amount of up and out the side of the house with "net equivalent length" of 20ft. Based on my homes layout I believe it to be under that actual length but with a few bends in it.

What's the best way to clean it out? My dryer still works fine but I want to be proactive here in keeping efficiency up and fire hazards down.

https://www.amazon.com/Dundas-Jafin...ps%2C158&sr=8-5

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Is there an easy way to fix the grading that doesn't involve tearing them up and adding soil?

No. I mean, maybe with the right equipment. That could be anything from a miniex to a concrete grinder.

Inzombiac posted:

Also, in that same area, there's one of those old in-ground garbage cans.

You can't leave it like this. You say it like this is a normal thing, but I assure you it's got to be something extremely regional. Please post pics and maybe explain how something like that is intended to be used.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Motronic posted:

No. I mean, maybe with the right equipment. That could be anything from a miniex to a concrete grinder.

You can't leave it like this. You say it like this is a normal thing, but I assure you it's got to be something extremely regional. Please post pics and maybe explain how something like that is intended to be used.

Haha, fair enough. Not my picture but mine is the same and much older.

They were a bad idea back in the day and never saw widespread use. Allegedly they were to help prevent pests from knocking over your cans but it just introduces more issues than it solves.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I vote for skulls of your enemies. Refill with lye periodically.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
how do you… like does the whole thing come up, is there a liner that you remove with the trash, I have so many questions???

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
is the idea that the truck lifts the can straight up out of the ground on those hooks?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There was definitely a non-zero number of children that fell into those

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

falz posted:

For you or anyone, is there a logical go to order of things to decide on to get the same style? ie vanity then floor, floor then vanity? vanity -> sink -> faucit -> floor -> towel bars?

I find it overwhelming browsing for each of these, thinking nah i should get this other thing figured first, repeat for each type.
Make the minor, cheaper things for which there is a huge selection match the bigger, expensive thing for which selection in your budget maybe limited. That probably means make hardware coordinate with whatever vanity you wind up with, not trying to match a vanity to the towel bar you love or whatever.

If you get a great deal on a craftsman vanity you love, make your towel bars match that. Don't get a french provincial vanity custom made because you fell in love with these hand forged sconces or whatever.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Inzombiac posted:

They were a bad idea back in the day and never saw widespread use. Allegedly they were to help prevent pests from knocking over your cans but it just introduces more issues than it solves.

:psyduck:

I.....I.....what the hell? This seems like the worst possible way to solve that problem.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You're supposed to put your normal metal garbage can inside and then, yeah, lift it up and bring it to the curb.

It sucks poo poo and everyone hated it.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
i really wanted to know more about those in-ground trash bins; that seems similar to this?

http://www.volko.com/cambercans.htm posted:

Sometimes it's just impossible to find a place to hide garbage. To solve this problem and to beautify property at the same time, install "Cambercans." Cambercans are underground garbage cans that eliminate ugly garbage, and decrease the clutter of ordinary surface garbage cans. The perfect hidden garbage can.
now i want to know more about weird regional constructions; like.. we grew up having a laundry chute in our house, and the house we're closing on has one, but are they specifically a mid-western thing?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've only had one laundry chute and I loved the hell out of it.

For the record, I live in Portland Oregon.
Dunno if other places have them but we still have steel rings bolted in to the cubs for horses.

Not everywhere but still in a lot of residential areas.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

We just closed!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

falz posted:

We used Ferguson, picked a faucet, and that faucet had a family with matching accessories such as towel bars, tp holder, shower, etc. Sink/vanity not really part of it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Inzombiac posted:

are you in albania and is this one of those weird bunker/pillbox things

Justa Dandelion posted:

We just closed!
:rip:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz posted:

FYI I kept my vanity, but had the top replaced, and had new doors and drawers put on to give a frameless look. but it's 48" and sat on the floor so removing it would be more annoying as you would also have unfinished floor, wall and trim. my route also saved a lot of money though. If you have a floating vanity, you can do vanity/floor in either order. if your current vanity is on the ground and you want floating, obviously do the vanity first, then the floor since unfinished floor will be exposed. For other stuff, I would just make sure you match metals. You can also try hooks instead of bars if you want.

what does your bathroom look like right now?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Justa Dandelion posted:

We just closed!

Congratulations on your impending projects!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Justa Dandelion posted:

We just closed!

Sorry but your bank account is now negative a million.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Justa Dandelion posted:

We just closed!

Just like Lowes in the evening, right after I break my shower valve.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Inzombiac posted:

These are slops collection crocks. Sometimes called 'subterreanean receivers.' Every house in my one neighborhood had them. In 1911, when the neighborhood was built, these were installed by the rear (kitchen) door for housewives to drop in food waste, such as potato peels, old fruit, etc and a pig farm would come and collect them once a week. The iron cap was lifted by stepping on the pedal; there should be a steel bucket inside. Being in the ground, it slowed decomposition, and the iron lid kept questing critters from rooting in your garbage.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/lifestyle/2019/06/19/when-rubbish-went-curbside-and-garbage-went-underground

By the 1960s, as all food waste became commingled with all of the other trash, and the pig farms moved further away from what became the suburbs, their utility had faded out.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I figured they may be used if you had bears nearby or something but I guess scraps for pig farms works too

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Oh man y'all were not kidding... Every little crack and oddity is now standing out so hard. Oh god oh no.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Justa Dandelion posted:

Oh man y'all were not kidding... Every little crack and oddity is now standing out so hard. Oh god oh no.

Ohhhhh boy you're gonna have fun new form of paranoia!

I went from "this house is too nice, there's no way we can get it" to "this place is falling apart, nothing is cool or good anymore" in record time.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Same. Just closed on Dec 10. Every little goddamned thing has me on edge.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Was that crack in the ceiling always there? POP what was that?! Did my 75 year old house (1947) just collapse?!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

We got this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-LintEater-Rotary-Cleaning/dp/B0014CN8Y8

And the extension kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-R3203612-12-Foot-Extension-White/dp/B001652LO6/

We have a similarly long dryer vent... with all the extensions connected, we still stop short like 1' from the dryer hookup. Close enough for us, though.

The shop-vac attachment in that kit would have been nice when I helped with one of my wife's friend's dryer vent. Was able to get the shop-vac sucking from the outside while I used the brush from the inside. Helped pull all of the newly freed lint out and keep the inside mess to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Justa Dandelion posted:

We just closed!