Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Shame Boy posted:

Holy poo poo they actually killed Mara Jade didn't they?

That’s not canon and never was, and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong and also a bad person :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Casimir Radon posted:

I remember finding the first-person perspective pretty jarring. But I liked it at the time. Though that was when I was in high school 15ish years ago.

I’ll probably get around to doing a reread of TJA followed by I, Jedi. I just finished rereading Choices of One which I haven’t read since it came out in 2011. It never got an audiobook for whatever reason. I followed that up with Crisis of Faith, a little Thrawn novella that Zahn had written for the end of the Heir to the Empire 20th anniversary edition, that I hadn’t realized was there. With Disney getting more comfortable making money off the Legends material I’d sure love it if they let Zahn write the third Hand of Judgement book that he wanted to.

My dearest hope is that Disney lets Stars Wars do more "What Ifs" like they're starting to do with Marvel properties. People love alternate dimensions, different outcomes. Just make a TV show or animated series called "Legends", and start adapting the better Legends Books. They'd gain a lot of goodwill back that way.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My dearest hope is that Disney lets Stars Wars do more "What Ifs" like they're starting to do with Marvel properties. People love alternate dimensions, different outcomes. Just make a TV show or animated series called "Legends", and start adapting the better Legends Books. They'd gain a lot of goodwill back that way.

It's an interesting idea, and could be fun, but I shudder to think of what the internet's reaction would be. "DISNEY ACKNOWLEDGES FAILURE OF SEQUELS, BRINGS BACK LEGENDS!" and "MARY SUE REY OUT, MARA JADE BACK IN!" and "KATHLEEN KENNEDY FORCED TO BRING LEGENDS BACK!" and other poo poo like that would be all over the place, whether it's true or not. People would be (more) insufferable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As much as I love Star Wars and like the majority of what Disney has done with it, sometimes I feel like the best option is to just let the brand sleep for another decade and keep the RPG ticking over quietly.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Doing ongoing "what ifs" out of recycled scripts would be silly when they're already recycling all kinds of stuff for their ongoing TV series.

Besides which we just got Visions.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

thrawn527 posted:

It's an interesting idea, and could be fun, but I shudder to think of what the internet's reaction would be. "DISNEY ACKNOWLEDGES FAILURE OF SEQUELS, BRINGS BACK LEGENDS!" and "MARY SUE REY OUT, MARA JADE BACK IN!" and "KATHLEEN KENNEDY FORCED TO BRING LEGENDS BACK!" and other poo poo like that would be all over the place, whether it's true or not. People would be (more) insufferable.

I mean the internet is already awash in that. I hardly go a month without seeing an article similar to that.

I'm glad they are finding stuff in Legends they want to use, just wish they had been careful and done that from the getgo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fett referred to the Hutt homeworld as Nal Hutta in the new episode. Is that the first time since the Disney purchase that its full name was used rather than just Hutta? I haven't followed the comics so I dont know.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I feel like basing decisions on what "the internet" might think is never a good idea, for the fact that you can find people of every opinion on here, and outside of that, the people who lurk on Reddit are so small compared to the wider population that as long as a product is good, it will get a good response. Catering to a small group of online radicals is just giving them the influence they think they have, beyond their small numbers.

Arc Hammer posted:

Fett referred to the Hutt homeworld as Nal Hutta in the new episode. Is that the first time since the Disney purchase that its full name was used rather than just Hutta? I haven't followed the comics so I dont know.

Hasn't it always been Nal Hutta in the Clone Wars stuff? I thought the Old Republic game was the only one that used just Hutta.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Xenomrph posted:

That’s not canon and never was, and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong and also a bad person :colbert:

It was for sure a shocking moment. But when I compare it in my head to Anakins death for example I just think " wow that was kinda intense what does Troy Denning have against Mara Jade? Where is he going with this? Vs "oh wow that was intense! Where are they going with this?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just another lousy aspect of a lousy series that I refuse to accept as any sort of canon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Karen Traviss is the one who killed Mara Jade. Sacrifice is a stupid book.

Troy Denning is the one writing child abuse and rape into Star Wars. Invincible is a loving atrocious book.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Like I said, not canon, never was

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Troy Denning Fan-Fiction club.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember back in 2016 there were rumors he was signed up to do a new Disney-era book trilogy, and I've never been happier for a rumor to be wrong.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Around the time of Rise of Skywalker, somebody made the (salient) point on Twitter that canon doesn't actually matter except to IP holders, and that you can hold whatever set of stories you want as the important ones. Which is correct, but one of the first replies specifically mentioned the Denning series and I couldn't even imagine anybody liking that stuff. Even in comparison with TRoS, which is really more of a KJA bad than a Denning bad.

Also, it's not strictly on-topic but all of the SW discussion in CD and TVIV is atrocious, so: has anybody been watching the Boba Fett show? I quite liked The Mandalorian but Boba Fett's never been a character I was hyped about, even as a kid. Is it any good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First episode was okay, today's episode was a big step up. So far the best stuff has been flashbacks involving the sandpeople.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
They’ve only done two episodes so far, but I’ve enjoyed them a lot. The most recent episode (Not a big thing but putting it in tags anyway) had a part in Tosche Station with Fixer and Camie from a well known deleted scene from A New Hope, which continues the high level of “heh, they brought that back!” that Mandalorian had with a lot of stuff like the troop transporter and other odds and ends.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'd say Book of Boba Fett is so-so. There are two storylines, one in the "present" with Fett taking over Jabba's crime ring, and one set right after ROTJ that has him hanging out with the Tuskens after escaping from the sarlacc. The Tusken plot is really good, and the current-day one is really not keeping me interested at all. Though seeing more of urban Tatooine is enjoyable.

I did enjoy the above-spoilered bit. Also David Pasquesi from Veep plays a sleazy Twi'lek politician whose scenes are fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rochallor posted:

Around the time of Rise of Skywalker, somebody made the (salient) point on Twitter that canon doesn't actually matter except to IP holders, and that you can hold whatever set of stories you want as the important ones.
This is the correct way to view canon. Canon is a useless non-concept that's only (marginally) useful for the storytellers, and not helpful to the consumer.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

thrawn527 posted:

Not to drag this out or add fuel to the fire, but I do remember when Rise of Skywalker came out and got the backlash it did there was an interview with Kennedy where she was throwing her hands up and basically said "Disney had it easy with Marvel they had tons of comics to adapt but Star Wars had nothing, we had to make it all ourselves!".

And I did a double-take when I read it. Heck they could've ignored all of Legends and just used Lucas' sequel trilogy ideas, which from what I hear he offered but was turned down. Not saying all the toxic fandom was right but the Star Wars transition just... wasn't handled well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

New BBF episode has a live-action Ithorian who is not just a background character. Presumably they looked to KOTOR to devise the language. Also he may be up to no good. Ithorians have generally been portrayed as a peaceful people with the exception of Mysteries of the Sith which added them as thug characters to compliment the Grans and Rodians from the base game.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's definitely a KOTOR reference in the episode, with the Tusken talking about how Tatooine once had seas that dried up, causing the Tuskens to become nomads.

The Krayt Dragon episode of Mandalorian was also very similar to a quest from KOTOR.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

There's definitely a KOTOR reference in the episode, with the Tusken talking about how Tatooine once had seas that dried up, causing the Tuskens to become nomads.

The Krayt Dragon episode of Mandalorian was also very similar to a quest from KOTOR.

Last time I played through I noticed that the quest you have to follow to get the Tusken chieftain to tell you about Tusken history doesn't have a reward attached to it. All you get is the story itself. I like that a lot.

You hear another tidbit from the Jawas, I think, that Anchorhead in roughly 4000 BBY is the latest in a series of settlements on that very spot. Every few hundred years a mining expedition comes to Tatooine, builds a company town, tries to mine the planet, goes bankrupt, and abandons the settlement, leaving it to be reclaimed by the sands until the next corporation gives it a go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tatooine is a planet that has never been truly conquered.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rochallor posted:

Last time I played through I noticed that the quest you have to follow to get the Tusken chieftain to tell you about Tusken history doesn't have a reward attached to it. All you get is the story itself. I like that a lot.
I think it even requires you to give up one of the more powerful lightsaber crystals too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Not to drag this out or add fuel to the fire, but I do remember when Rise of Skywalker came out and got the backlash it did there was an interview with Kennedy where she was throwing her hands up and basically said "Disney had it easy with Marvel they had tons of comics to adapt but Star Wars had nothing, we had to make it all ourselves!".

And I did a double-take when I read it. Heck they could've ignored all of Legends and just used Lucas' sequel trilogy ideas, which from what I hear he offered but was turned down. Not saying all the toxic fandom was right but the Star Wars transition just... wasn't handled well.

The Star Wars films have never been direct, or even loose, adaptations of existing stories though. Marvel openly takes big events like Civil War, Infinity Gauntlet, etc and makes them into the core of their film plots. Regardless of all the ancillary material for Star Wars, that's never been what that franchise does. Kennedy wasn't saying that the books and comics don't exist, but that they don't have a library of stories to be used as source material for film plots

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also for every Marvel storyline that gets adapted there are literally thousands of issues worth of trash that existed just to fill shelves and rake in speculator pennies. You can see them struggling to expand the rosters with The Inhumans devoid of Fantastic Four context, and The Eternals which have always been mediocre at best. Shang Chi was a wild swing even though it turned out to be really fun, and that was more of a rebranded Iron Fist story.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

The Star Wars films have never been direct, or even loose, adaptations of existing stories though. Marvel openly takes big events like Civil War, Infinity Gauntlet, etc and makes them into the core of their film plots. Regardless of all the ancillary material for Star Wars, that's never been what that franchise does. Kennedy wasn't saying that the books and comics don't exist, but that they don't have a library of stories to be used as source material for film plots

Well, prior to 2015, there had never been Star Wars made without the input of Lucas, and they did that. Prior to 2019, there had never been Star Wars live action on the small screen. Even on just technical levels, the sequels have things like flashbacks and helicopter shots that hadn't been done before (and for flashbacks at least, was something Lucas had explicitly decided against for TPM). Just because something had never been done before doesn't mean it could never be done. Star Wars absolutely had a huge backlog of stuff that could be mined for ideas for developing the post-ROTJ universe.

If anything, the fact that so much of what the sequels depicted were things which had been done in the EU before (Palpatine returning, secret grandkid, New Empire, Solo son gone bad, super duper Death Star, etc.) but the screenwriters thought they were being original shows that it might have benefitted them just going over the EU material to see what had already been done and take that into account. And that's not just for the EU, either. After TFA came out, I remember Kasdan talking about how Kylo Ren's story was so unique because he had originally been a Jedi before going to the dark side rather than just being dark from the start, and thinking... forget the ancillary material, does this guy remember anything about the movies themselves?

And actually, even as I'm writing this now I realized that no, Star Wars actually has adapted things before. The Clone Wars adapted the Zygerrian comics, and that was done under Lucas' watch. The Bad Batch began by loosely adapting the start of the Kanan comic. The Mandalorian loosely adapted the Cob Vanth backstory from Aftermath. And that's even outside of stuff like Solo using a ton of EU things in it, or the 3D Clone Wars show recycling a number of plots from the Tartakovsky show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

If anything, the fact that so much of what the sequels depicted were things which had been done in the EU before (Palpatine returning, secret grandkid, New Empire, Solo son gone bad, super duper Death Star, etc.) but the screenwriters thought they were being original shows that it might have benefitted them just going over the EU material to see what had already been done and take that into account. And that's not just for the EU, either. After TFA came out, I remember Kasdan talking about how Kylo Ren's story was so unique because he had originally been a Jedi before going to the dark side rather than just being dark from the start, and thinking... forget the ancillary material, does this guy remember anything about the movies themselves?

He said that? He forgot about Darth Vader? That’s loving wild.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lotta talk about how Star Wars TV has made several KOTOR references wrt the Krayt Dragon quest and the sandpeople lore. But nobody is talking about the Nikto swoop bike gang. First the Black Vulkars on Taris and now these bozos.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was hoping at least one of the swoops would use the design from the Kenner Shadows of the Empire toy line. Oh well, maybe next time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

He said that? He forgot about Darth Vader? That’s loving wild.

It's especially crazy given that Kylo Ren worships Vader, so even he would know this wasn't original. And really, even just going by the movies, half of the Sith Lords follow that path (with Dooku included).

That also made me realize that I think the only time Vader's redemption is even mentioned in the sequels is indirectly by Palpatine at the end of TROS. I don't think the name Anakin is ever used, and Padme is also never mentioned. Those three omissions in a story ostensibly about Anakin's grandson trying to reconcile living up to his grandfather's legacy (as much as there's any single throughline of the sequels) is wild.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Lotta talk about how Star Wars TV has made several KOTOR references wrt the Krayt Dragon quest and the sandpeople lore. But nobody is talking about the Nikto swoop bike gang. First the Black Vulkars on Taris and now these bozos.

There's also the Kintan Kings from SWTOR, which would line up with their gang symbol being a Huttese "K".

They've got little pictures of General Grievous on their jackets and bikes too, so they could be a gang of former Separatists.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

There's also the Kintan Kings from SWTOR, which would line up with their gang symbol being a Huttese "K".

They've got little pictures of General Grievous on their jackets and bikes too, so they could be a gang of former Separatists.

Wow, nice find.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

That also made me realize that I think the only time Vader's redemption is even mentioned in the sequels is indirectly by Palpatine at the end of TROS. I don't think the name Anakin is ever used, and Padme is also never mentioned. Those three omissions in a story ostensibly about Anakin's grandson trying to reconcile living up to his grandfather's legacy (as much as there's any single throughline of the sequels) is wild.

Nah in TLJ Rey brings up Vader's redemption a few times as evidence that A) the Jedi are worth saving and B) she could turn Ben back to the light like Luke did Anakin

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cross-Section posted:

Nah in TLJ Rey brings up Vader's redemption a few times as evidence that A) the Jedi are worth saving and B) she could turn Ben back to the light like Luke did Anakin

I always thought this was strange; there's no way that could be common knowledge, especially to someone who grew up in the middle of nowhere. Rey was only on the planet for like 18 hours (as much as I love TLJ it was a major mistake to compress things to that degree) and it doesn't seem like Luke would be in the mood to talk about it.

It's a plot point in the Thrawn trilogy that Mara thinks that Luke and Vader teamed up on the Emperor, which is why she blames him for Palpatine's death. I don't remember if anybody outside of Alliance people know that Luke was involved at all; as far as they're concerned, the Emperor blew up with the Death Star.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rochallor posted:

I always thought this was strange; there's no way that could be common knowledge, especially to someone who grew up in the middle of nowhere. Rey was only on the planet for like 18 hours (as much as I love TLJ it was a major mistake to compress things to that degree) and it doesn't seem like Luke would be in the mood to talk about it.

Maybe R2 or Chewie gave her a primer on the way over :shrug:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 7, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Rey was only on the planet for like 18 hours (as much as I love TLJ it was a major mistake to compress things to that degree)

Yeah, the movie taking place over ~18 hours doesn't really jive with what we see on screen.

Day 1 - Rey arrives and meets Luke
Night 1 - Luke inspects the Falcon and decides to train Rey
Day 2 - Luke trains Rey
Night 2 - Rey goes in the cave, talks to Kylo, fights Luke, leaves
Day 3 - Luke dies projecting himself to Crait.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Ha, I completely forgot about that. Although like Rochallor said, still doesn't make a lot of sense that Rey would know that (or that Luke would know Palpatine's Sith name, though I guess Yoda might have told him).

Rochallor posted:

I don't remember if anybody outside of Alliance people know that Luke was involved at all; as far as they're concerned, the Emperor blew up with the Death Star.

The Disney continuity early on established that people in the Empire don't even know Palpatine died because of his use of pre-recorded holographic droid messengers. Although I think the later Aftermath books then ignore this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

I was hoping at least one of the swoops would use the design from the Kenner Shadows of the Empire toy line. Oh well, maybe next time.

The bikes in the first episode of Rebels are kind of based on it IIRC.