Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Wisest Moron posted:

Cryptoland: what if we reinvent timeshares, but with fake money? Scams within scams. An endless fractal of bagholders.

cryptoland: timeshares but for child sex slaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

No crypto bro is mentally mature or they wouldn't be into crypto.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

cryptoland: timeshares but for child sex slaves

someone already tried this but the government killed him in his jail cell

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

the original was also archived

qirex posted:

someone already tried this but the government killed him in his jail cell

:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heh
https://twitter.com/jwz/status/1478022085737803776

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
should've namedropped xscreensaver too

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1479194738309967874

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"casts some doubt on"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i've seen that "play-to-earn" thing a few times now and it becomes more ominous each time i see it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like these people have absolutely no concept of work/life balance do they, games are just a time-wasting task that could be part of the hustlegrind making you money

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
technically I play to earn whenever I play Elite. just another 20 hours til I get that paint job baybee

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's too bad cancelling the donation through PayPal doesn't allow for feedback. When I dropped OpenMedia for the same thing they seemed genuinely sad.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dunno. who cares. its not being built into the browser, theyre just willing to take donations in that form. doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the guy who founded mozilla, he cares

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

post hole digger posted:

i dunno. who cares. its not being built into the browser, theyre just willing to take donations in that form. doesnt seem like that big of a deal.
What's the carbon footprint on someone's monthly donation?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

post hole digger posted:

mozilla cared enough to stop accepting crypto in response:
https://twitter.com/mozilla/status/1479143340159422468

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that wasnt even an announcement that they were just now accepting crypto. they had been accepting it as a form of donation since at least 2015. they just changed bitcoin payment providers or whatever the term is.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

post hole digger posted:

that wasnt even an announcement that they were just now accepting crypto. they had been accepting it as a form of donation since at least 2015. they just changed bitcoin payment providers or whatever the term is.
yeah and now they're not accepting it at all!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

yeah and now they're not accepting it at all!

not my problem either way 🤷

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

anything that reduces potential applications of crypto beyond holding it and selling it is a good thing

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i forget if it was moz or whoever that did an a/b test and found that announcing they accepted bitcoin actually lowered real donations because people would see it and peace out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

i forget if it was moz or whoever that did an a/b test and found that announcing they accepted bitcoin actually lowered real donations because people would see it and peace out

alright thats pretty funny (and unexpected.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zamujasa posted:

I think it was Wikipedia.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
apparently wikipedia's idiot founder dabbled in it, but it was indeed mozilla, back in the fresh age of 2014:

quote:

Just over two weeks ago Mozilla began accepting bitcoin donations. In the first three days our bitcoin donation form was live, we raised $1,600 USD in bitcoin, and to date we’ve raised about $5,000 USD. Here is the trendline:

We received numerous requests from donors that they wanted bitcoin featured right on our primary donation form. Given the volume of page views to that form (millions during the life of the campaign), I was concerned that adding any unnecessary text would distract donors and depress non-bitcoin conversions, the source of more than 99% of all our campaign revenue. So we decided to add “Donate with Bitcoin” text, and test whether it depressed conversion or not. Here is what that looked like:

We tested adding "Donate with Bitcoin" text to the form.

The test showed that revenue per visitor drops by about $0.07 USD. Here is the Optimizely graph showing a 7.5% reduction in revenue per visitor:

Testing Results: Bitcoin

Seven cents doesn’t sound like much. However, at scale, it adds up. Our donation form will get roughly two million more visitors before the campaign concludes on December 31st — which means adding “Donate with Bitcoin” would reduce income by about $140,000 — a significant amount.

At this time, bitcoin donations are not high enough to offset that lost revenue. We want to make sure bitcoin donors can find a link to give bitcoin, but this test suggests our primary donation form isn’t the optimum location.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gschmidl posted:

I think it was Wikipedia.

every time those fuckers beg for money they should at least have enough shame to include a link to their financial health

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation

they have enough cash to keep the site running for eternity already

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
remember when bit coin killed the aaf

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

graph posted:

remember when bit coin killed the aaf

lol

go apollos, forever champions

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shame Boy posted:

i've seen that "play-to-earn" thing a few times now and it becomes more ominous each time i see it

it's the bullshit jobs concept taken to its absurd conclusion. if you're being paid to do work that is worthless and no one cares about, it might as well be to play a game with no one even pretending that you're doing something useful.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The "games" themselves are also the most mind boggling basic poo poo ever. Most are literally just Unity or Unreal tutorial projects or cheap "game engine" style assets you plug in to give you the basic framework of whatever genre you're making.

Those fighting game NFTs for instance all use a popular fighting game template from the unreal store with default animations and move templates.

These "developers" know that the only people interested in their games are only there for the money making aspect so whatever gameplay they have just had to barely work. So why put effort in and just throw out an asset flip.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
But can they break into the lucrative hello neighbor bootleg market?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
not all of them are low effort
for example this game was made by unpaid 'volunteers', working and living in a twitch streamer's religious cult compound in germany

it's lovely because the cult members are bad at making games instead of being lovely because the devs know they don't have to put effort in

it has 420 nfts listed on opensea, of which exactly 20 have a "highest last sale" above 0

also for some reason it involves at least 4 separate currencies: Crypton, GUBI, DUBI, and PRPS

e:
here's the promo video from their own website
https://clashofstreamers.com/video/cos_ad.mp4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/realJeanRausis/status/1479122072546643975?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh wow, that guy's account is just special

https://twitter.com/realJeanRausis/status/1476661275551838213

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"I'm talking to another artist from India who says they will do it for 2 aliens."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

please accept payment in your own artwork is certainly an impressive pitch

you see, we will add value to it by being on a discord, many discords even.

no? well people didn't understand microsoft either

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
your payment is you get to keep 1.6% of your own work

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Don't worry it's decentralized

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the better your work, the more it's worth.

no, i won't be providing payment

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

novamute posted:

Don't worry it's decentralized

i can't believe none of these cowards have done a star wars or mickey mouse NFT offering yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish