Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i'm playing black mesa again. (highly recommended). why can't the tau cannon fire underwater? it's an electromagnetic particle gun. jesus
ah poo poo i havent played that in a couple years and think i will now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the only realistic "electric weapon in water" effect is in quake

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I remember when metal gear rising came out on PC and people discovered that the actual game files were like 5gb and the cutscenes were 30

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

yeah, but metal gear is cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

I remember when metal gear rising came out on PC and people discovered that the actual game files were like 5gb and the cutscenes were 30

right but what is a metal gear game if not 30GB of fever dream cutscenes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mgr owns obviously but cutscenes should always be in engine so you get to see your costume. mainline mgs games got this right

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

agreed, partly because engines and pre-rendered scenes are almost identical now and partly because it's more consistent to the other 90% of the game

saint's row 3 allowed me to be pimp silver surfer and respected that decision

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Slipways continues to pull at my brain. I don't think it will be as enduring of a puzzle as Slay the Spire was, but it's definitely just the right combination of "quick decisions snowball into late game problems" to drop a half hour on once or twice a day.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

haveblue posted:

the only realistic "electric weapon in water" effect is in quake

i was in a quake clan for a little while and got kicked out because i would hang out near water features and take advantage of the fact that the electric-weapon-in-water effect didn't limit itself to players in the water but everyone in a sphere of influence

quake 1 ruled and now i want to play again

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

mgr owns obviously but cutscenes should always be in engine so you get to see your costume. mainline mgs games got this right

very true. looking like a complete clown in serious cutscenes is the best

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

dioxazine posted:

very true. looking like a complete clown in serious cutscenes is the best
thankfully you can always turn off your monitor

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

can i though? it's a paradox for sure

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

DuckConference posted:

I liked the song but I felt like it was trying too hard to be the cool part of the game or something. I remember the Alan Wake version of the concept fondly though (pyrotechnic concert stage thing)

The scenery shifting was mildly entertaining but it was basically the same combat as in the rest of the game, except with a better soundtrack. Basically what I'm saying is Control was badly in need of more and better listenable music.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Doom Mathematic posted:

Control was badly in need of more and better listenable music.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
black mesa people should remake hl2 next

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

maybe they can make the car and airboat fun

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jenny Agutter posted:

dioxazine posted:

yeah, but metal gear is cool

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

maybe they can finish it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i was getting towards the end of dragon age: inquisition, whihc if you arent familiar is a game where you go around meeting various other characters who join your party and become cool allies with gear and everything. we finally get to a cut scene and its me and all of my friends squaring up to face the big bad. not just the 4 i usually use, all of them. anyway, there we all are shouting encouragement and threats, when some guy with a toy shield and wooden sword chimes in. i figure he's an NPC who will be dead in two seconds and this is an absurd joke. but after a big fight hes still there with us, cursing the fiend we're trying to kill. i realized that i had played through the entire game without ever meeting this guy who's a central part of the plot. anyway we finished the game and i got a great new story for parties

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

PokeJoe posted:

maybe they can make the car and airboat fun

replaying hl2 now and the pace is weird, you will be doing some fun shooting stuff and moving the narrative forward then the game stops dead in it’s tracks to make you do a dumb physics puzzle.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i always thought it strayed too far from HL2s alien blasting secret science feel and turned into generic dystopia future with headcrabs and physics. it's a fun game but I want to shoot cool new aliens not masked soldiers and the vehicles are just downright bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
half life poo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Garry's mod was more fun than half life 2 because I could weld a couch to the car

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hl2 was fun as hell the first time i played it, im totally a sucker for tech demos disguised as games tho. hl2 wasn’t the worst offender by far but it def feels a little dated now. it was the first shooter with ragdoll physics iirc, they didn’t let you forget that with the amount of explosive barrels they had lying around

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I played through HL2 once in the week it was released and never again, and it was fine. For some reason they used a super-narrow FOV though and it made me violently ill if I played more than an hour.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

replaying hl2 now and the pace is weird, you will be doing some fun shooting stuff and moving the narrative forward then the game stops dead in it’s tracks to make you do a dumb physics puzzle.

replaying hl2 now and the pace is weird, you'll be doing some fun post-apocalyptic wasteland exploration and solving neat physics puzzles and then the game stops dead in its tracks to make you do a dumb gunfight

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
on the screen resolution i originally played it at, you'd be running around doing cool poo poo and then you'd suddenly stop and your view would start rising, and you'd look up and go "oh another stupid loving barnacle"

it was much better when i replayed it in slightly higher definition and could actually see the tongues

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PokeJoe posted:

Garry's mod was more fun than half life 2 because I could weld a couch to the car

making a vtol bathtub was a ton of fun

polyester concept posted:

hl2 was fun as hell the first time i played it, im totally a sucker for tech demos disguised as games tho. hl2 wasn’t the worst offender by far but it def feels a little dated now. it was the first shooter with ragdoll physics iirc, they didn’t let you forget that with the amount of explosive barrels they had lying around

unreal 2 had rag dolls for dead enemies but i don't think for anything else. it was notably rough so if any enemy was killed on stairs they'd bounce around like a pile of rubber balls at the bottom. it's like they never thought about turning it off after a few seconds or applying inertia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

making a vtol bathtub was a ton of fun

one time i found a garry's mod deathmatch server with no admins logged in. i welded a helicopter rotor to a playground carousel and put a rocket engine on the rotor blade, then put it down right at the spawn point and lit the engine.

so many angry 12 year olds :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hl2 was not the first fps with ragdolls but it was the first to base a lot of its gameplay on the physics engine. everything before that uses it as a neat gimmick that didn’t really affect anything that mattered

hl2’s physics puzzles are almost all of the form “build a pile of stuff here until something happens” but no other game had done that before either

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Weren't they all "build a pile on one end of the see-saw to lift up the other end", with the see-saw occasionally replaced by a system of pulleys?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, sometimes you had to put floating barrels on the bottom of an underwater see-saw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

hl2 was not the first fps with ragdolls but it was the first to base a lot of its gameplay on the physics engine. everything before that uses it as a neat gimmick that didn’t really affect anything that mattered

hl2’s physics puzzles are almost all of the form “build a pile of stuff here until something happens” but no other game had done that before either

pretty sure Max Payne 2 had at least one see-saw puzzle, the havok physics engine was marketed pretty hard with it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how is the switch version of Witcher 3? it’s currently 50% off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you can, but know that you have misspelled breath of the wild

ive now beaten 3 divine beasts and retrieved the master sword

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the witcher 3 must be the most disappointing critically lauded game i've played. stupid wooden action movie protagonist and deeply boring gameplay

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yah, I couldn’t get into it at all after 3 attempts. someone said turn the difficulty to brain dead and go thru it like that but nah.

I’ve also been enjoying the loving hell out of Spider-Man on the ps5 - it’s so goddman fun!! and there’s gonna be a sequel too!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I think there was at least a few object-on-a-switch triggers in Uru, which was also a popular first-physics-engine puzzle. i only vaguely remember it because i have memories of something half-assed rolling over and thinking to myself 'poo poo, if that didn't trip right i'd be hosed and have to do this whole age over again'. It was either in the early beta/MMO release/offline version, all were single-player experiences because it was so sparsely played at the time

If it wasn't a gimmick implementation, there was a lot of frustrating design in early havok physics-based games that would screw players over in ways hl2 avoided with better design

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the witcher 3 must be the most disappointing critically lauded game i've played. stupid wooden action movie protagonist and deeply boring gameplay

i picked it up with no prior witchering and yeah. It's a bit like I entered an alternate reality with a different Skyrim, but I couldn't connect with the story. Why should I care who rules these lands? Oh, that was in the last two games? okay :shrug:

the netflix series did a lot to fill in the blanks, but that's enough for me

edit: I didn't mind the gameplay, but potioncraft (much like in Elder Scrolls games) bores me and I could tell I was missing out on a chunk of expected strategy and planning

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yah, that gameplay doesn’t work for me. kudos to those it’s good for. souls spoiled me - walk in the room with a giant 2h hammer and smash away while rolling like a cheese wheel