Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Variable 5 posted:

Looks like that's it, thanks.

Geez, it's 6 years old, multiplayer only, and still $35. I remember reading about it before launch and kinda looking forward to it but meh.

I thiiiink it's got a single player mode now I remember hearing? I've never played it but of note is that it's from the Stresslevelzero devs, who went on to Duck Season and Boneworks - so there might be some cool ideas there. I'll have to give it a try when it goes on sale maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, finished red matter and it's actually pretty awesome. Good puzzles, great atmosphere, one fucker of an ending.

Thinking about a battery pack though. Any for the Oculus that are STAY AWAY YOU WILL SET YOUR HEAD ON FIRE or anything that's just agreed upon to be "the best"?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/uxiedust/status/1478989945788416002?t=MWXgSo4MqB--0EXaLJzgxQ&s=19

See the funny thing is, this is the kind of thing that would convince me to shop in VR.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is Five Nights At Freddy's VR any good? I never played the mobile games.

From the videos, it seems like the gameplay is just repetitive trial and error.

Budget Cuts is really good in roomscale btw.

I also like the dark humor that can be had when messing with the innocent robots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChocNitty posted:

Is Five Nights At Freddy's VR any good? I never played the mobile games.

From the videos, it seems like the gameplay is just repetitive trial and error.

Budget Cuts is really good in roomscale btw.

I also like the dark humor that can be had when messing with the innocent robots.

Yes on FNAF if you like horror games. It's a VR adaptation of the first three games in their entirety (well the basic five nights for each mechanically, not the secret stuff), and some of the mechanics and minigames from later titles rebuilt for VR. Gameplay is somewhat trial-and-error, but it's about learning how the animatronics all individually behave and trying to keep the plates spinning to manage them. Keep track of where they are and when they might be headed your way (along with managing your power), and you will probably survive the nigh-OH GOD WHERE'S FOXY *MASHES LEFT DOOR BUTTON*.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/uxiedust/status/1478989945788416002?t=MWXgSo4MqB--0EXaLJzgxQ&s=19

See the funny thing is, this is the kind of thing that would convince me to shop in VR.

What game is this?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ChocNitty posted:

Is Five Nights At Freddy's VR any good?

Yes.

I have clips of me laying on the ground trying to bat things away from me. I'm a giant wuss.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Yes.

I have clips of me laying on the ground trying to bat things away from me. I'm a giant wuss.

post the clips, wuss.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Don't give the FNAF guy any money. Big right wing chud, gives $ to right wing garbage. :kiddo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Don't give the FNAF guy any money. Big right wing chud, gives $ to right wing garbage. :kiddo:

Oh right, I actually forgot that little revelation :doh:. Yeah, wasn't it was even a thread here on SA that found he's directly dumping his money into a bunch of anti-queer organizations too?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I thought FNAF was very boring, so I don't recommend it.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Saw the cheap logitech joystick is on sale at amazon, would that be good for some basic squadrons/elite dangerous/no man's sky game play?

I've never been big into sims but I wanna give it a go in vr

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Reek posted:

Saw the cheap logitech joystick is on sale at amazon, would that be good for some basic squadrons/elite dangerous/no man's sky game play?

I played IL2 for like 5 years with that stick. It'll do fine.

Want a wild fact? That came out in the early 2000s and there are windows 98 drivers. Same joystick still being made.

Editlol:

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 7, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder what the chances are that you'll be able to use PSVR2 as a PCVR headset.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Reek posted:

Yes, Squadrons and NMS especially were designed for gamepads - even my mid-range joystick is more unwieldy with them than just using a gamepad, so the simpler the joystick might be the better!

I still use the joystick because it's more fun but it's comical how much easier Squadrons is with a gamepad.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder what the chances are that you'll be able to use PSVR2 as a PCVR headset.

Officially? I'd guess fairly unlikely.

Unofficially? I bet there'll be custom software to run it within days of launch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wouldn't be so sure as there isn't really any working open source replacement solution for that kind of inside out CV tracking yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I might have missed it but did they say how much it will cost?

It would be an extremely boss move if it was cheaper than Index and had official PCVR support. They could easily corner the mid-range VR market with that, considering that non-poo poo mid-range VR headsets have been non-existant for years now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

It would be an extremely boss move if it was cheaper than Index and had official PCVR support. They could easily corner the mid-range VR market with that, considering that non-poo poo mid-range VR headsets have been non-existant for years now.

We don't know how it looks, we don't know the price, we don't know the software lineup at launch.

About PCVRness.... I don't see them acting differently than with PSVR1.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

They have not. If I had to guess based on the specs I'd say they'll follow a strategy similar to the original PSVR; that is, cheaper than PS5 RRP but probably not by much. Which would be a lot cheaper than the Index, but I think it's very unlikely that it will have PCVR support.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

They have not. If I had to guess based on the specs I'd say they'll follow a strategy similar to the original PSVR; that is, cheaper than PS5 RRP but probably not by much. Which would be a lot cheaper than the Index, but I think it's very unlikely that it will have PCVR support.

I dunno. Sony's been pretty open about pushing into the PC gaming market through Steam and we've seen them directly tell us they want into the broader VR space with that recent VR HMD demo they did. PSVR2 might well pre-date those plans, or be separate from them, but given it's on a USB-C connector when they could've well just re-used the PSVR Move camera socket format again, I don't think it's entirely impossible that we couldn't see some kind of desktop PSVR client software for SteamVR compatibility.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is also the problem of if you have your headset connected to your PC and Steam, you aren’t on a Sony system seeing Sony ads and buying games through the Sony store

What I can see happening is a PlayStation PC VR client that keeps you in their walled garden and also allows you to play Sony PC titles

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is also the problem of if you have your headset connected to your PC and Steam, you aren’t on a Sony system seeing Sony ads and buying games through the Sony store

What I can see happening is a PlayStation PC VR client that keeps you in their walled garden and also allows you to play Sony PC titles

I don't think Sony cares to that degree so long as their games are out on PC, otherwise think they'd have surely put their PC titles in their own walled garden rather than Steam as a precursor to dumping their VR titles in with it too. If their VR games are gonna go anywhere on PC, it'd be through Steam too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right but if you buy a Sony game on steam and play it, that’s all they can reasonably affect.

When you involve Sony hardware, and buy a non-Sony game on steam and play it, they don’t get a cut, which they won’t like I’m sure.

I hope I’m wrong but :capitalism:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Even if they were inclined to support PCVR, I really can't see them releasing a device with head-mounted haptics on a platform where they don't certify the software. The potential for litigation seems like it would be more than they would want to bear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Right but if you buy a Sony game on steam and play it, that’s all they can reasonably affect.

When you involve Sony hardware, and buy a non-Sony game on steam and play it, they don’t get a cut, which they won’t like I’m sure.

I hope I’m wrong but :capitalism:

True, but they're still buying a SONY device so they still make money off the hardware being purchased. Buying a non-Sony game doesn't really matter when it's being played on a Sony device, because that's still a win for Sony as "I am playing games on ~My Sony VR Headset~" is the outcome of it in terms of user experience and general word-of-mouth. And that sells more headsets in the long-run, on top of whatever games they might release. Sony-made/produced/licensed games that can be enhanced by using all the bells-and-whistles that are only on the PSVR2 headset and not the competitor HMD's are just the cherry on top.

NRVNQSR posted:

Even if they were inclined to support PCVR, I really can't see them releasing a device with head-mounted haptics on a platform where they don't certify the software. The potential for litigation seems like it would be more than they would want to bear.

Yeah, the HMD haptic thing has me curious and concerned too in general. They have to have tested it to hell and back, and I can only assume/hope it doesn't manage more than a gentle nudge rather than a heavy impact. It feels like something that's either going to be really clever, or have a class-action lawsuit and recall within six months.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno. Sony's been pretty open about pushing into the PC gaming market through Steam and

Yes, but with games 2-3 years old, if not more. I think that's going to be Sony's modus operandi, to give their exclusives at least a 2 year window for their console.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah no loving way psvr2 is going to work with PC officially.

PS5's are so incredibly hard to get now anyway, why would Sony take the first actual accessory for it and split it with PC players (who are hungrier for a headset around 400$)?

And we know headsets are mad expensive to produce, it's why no one else has entered the game and Facebook is selling the quest at a loss... so the idea that Sony are chill if you buy a PSVR2 (denying a PS5 player of a hard to get item on top of another hard to get item) and never buy a single game from them is laughable.

I forget the poster but the only way, the only way, is if they do it like Facebook and have a Sony store on PC that you can only use Sony approved games.

How are you going to convince a developer to make a game for your new Sony exclusive headset and platform if you can't even guarantee that someone with the headset will even go the same game marketplace??

no way it's a pipe dream.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If its wired I'm guessing Sony will be leaning hard on the PS5 itself and knowing the hardware. That will make using it on PC a pain, and Sony won't want you playing non-Sony games on it anyway. Like the PSVR I doubt any meaningful PC use will be possible.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh poo poo, finished red matter and it's actually pretty awesome. Good puzzles, great atmosphere, one fucker of an ending.

Thinking about a battery pack though. Any for the Oculus that are STAY AWAY YOU WILL SET YOUR HEAD ON FIRE or anything that's just agreed upon to be "the best"?

As an FYI, you don't need one mounted on the headset itself. A regular battery pack and a USB cable running to your pocket works well. A 6ft USB cable running under my shirt is basically invisible, cheap (especially if you have everything already) and doesn't add weight to my head.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I buy a couple 4 foot cables though. The perfect length, I found 6 to be a little too long

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I find it a bit uncomfortable to have a battery in my pocket personally, but Kiwi do a battery strap which I attach to my belt instead, works great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

forest spirit posted:

yeah no loving way psvr2 is going to work with PC officially.

PS5's are so incredibly hard to get now anyway, why would Sony take the first actual accessory for it and split it with PC players (who are hungrier for a headset around 400$)?

Consider the inverse though; Why limit their new headset to a consumerbase that functionally can't grow in any significant fashion for the next year or two, at the earliest, due to ongoing chip shortages? Spread it across both the PS5 and PC market and you're gonna have a far better hit rate in the near future than you would otherwise.

We also don't actually know the price yet, and that could go either way depending on how badly Sony's willing to soak the costs to get people into their VR headset.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If nothing else I can see it getting unofficial support pretty quickly, and Sony don't seem bothered about people writing PC drivers for their controllers, so hopefully it will be an option for people looking for an alternative to the Quest or G2.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are folks absolutely sure the manufacturing cost for these headsets is high enough that companies have to subsidize the cost? I can't find many headset teardowns, but apparently the original Rift had a component cost of like $140

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Component cost, manufacturing cost, shipping and packaging and also marketing are all costs there as well. I’d wager the Quest 2 isn’t costing Facebook less than $300 per unit to make, especially since I think they’re the only ones using the Snapdragon XR2 so Qualcomm probably aren’t undercharging them for that. Plus it’s a time honoured tradition in gaming for companies to eat a loss on the hardware with the expectation that they’ll make up the difference in software.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Consider the inverse though; Why limit their new headset to a consumerbase that functionally can't grow in any significant fashion for the next year or two, at the earliest, due to ongoing chip shortages?

because this dystopian poo poo works, if you've ever read a single tech fanboy discussion
https://twitter.com/qualtrics/status/1146941010515120129

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are folks absolutely sure the manufacturing cost for these headsets is high enough that companies have to subsidize the cost? I can't find many headset teardowns, but apparently the original Rift had a component cost of like $140

The total cost of a device also accounts for all of the money that was spent on R&D to develop the device. So even if the cost to physically construct the device is less than the selling price, the device is subsidized if the selling price doesn't cover that device's share of the R&D budget. So when we say that facebook is eating the cost of a Quest, it's really just that R&D cost that we're talking about.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-v6Erxkyc

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dupersaurus posted:

The total cost of a device also accounts for all of the money that was spent on R&D to develop the device. So even if the cost to physically construct the device is less than the selling price, the device is subsidized if the selling price doesn't cover that device's share of the R&D budget. So when we say that facebook is eating the cost of a Quest, it's really just that R&D cost that we're talking about.

Yeah if we're talking total return on investment over time for the entire enterprise, but the manufacturing cost is what is relevant when you're talking about whether a company makes money (or recoups money) with each unit shipped or ships it below cost to get people into their ecosystem.

Like in the above conversation about whether it would be in Sony's interest to enable some kind of pcvr compatibility, the answer would be yes in the former scenario but no in the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

njsykora posted:

Component cost, manufacturing cost, shipping and packaging and also marketing are all costs there as well. I’d wager the Quest 2 isn’t costing Facebook less than $300 per unit to make, especially since I think they’re the only ones using the Snapdragon XR2 so Qualcomm probably aren’t undercharging them for that. Plus it’s a time honoured tradition in gaming for companies to eat a loss on the hardware with the expectation that they’ll make up the difference in software.

I'm pretty sure there are some other stand alone headsets using the XR2 chip (or at least a bunch that have been teased), they just exist in such quantities in the margins, or are entirely in markets like china, that you hardly hear about them. Like the pico neo 3 pro uses it I know for one, but who's buying the pico neo 3 pro and talking about it?

Speaking of the xr2 though, I'm very curious if the project cambria headset is going to keep using it to make things easy, or with the higher resolution and extra tracking to do, its going to use a sd881+ or something. I know there were rumors about quest 3 using custom silicon, but I can't recall any rumors about cabria's processor specifically.