Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
On The Mick:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Fox sucks as they are notorious for pulling the plug on shows way too early...

I think the blame is actually on Disney this time. When Disney bought Fox tv that was axed because of whoever the production studio was for it. There's a story here if you want to google it and learn about it, but essentially Disney did not want to pay a competitor to produce the show even though it would have been on their own network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

On The Mick:

I think the blame is actually on Disney this time. When Disney bought Fox tv that was axed because of whoever the production studio was for it. There's a story here if you want to google it and learn about it, but essentially Disney did not want to pay a competitor to produce the show even though it would have been on their own network.

And that's how we got more Last Man Standing.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Sons of Anarchy, end of S2. Cameron just kidnapped Abel. That poo poo is bothering me on a deep visceral level. Ten years ago it probably wouldn't have. Now I am a parent and I want to go punch the actor in the face for that act.

Also, somehow Weston's death was more pathetic and poignant than I ever expected.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The most recent episode of Station Eleven is one of the best episodes of a show to come along in a long time. The finale is next Thursday, but if you haven't started yet wait until you can binge the entire show. They way the story plays and calls back to previous episodes it just doesn't fit a weekly release format as well. Plots and character lines are starting to connect in a Venn diagram that is starting to look like the Olympic circles

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Geekslinger posted:

The most recent episode of Station Eleven is one of the best episodes of a show to come along in a long time. The finale is next Thursday, but if you haven't started yet wait until you can binge the entire show. They way the story plays and calls back to previous episodes it just doesn't fit a weekly release format as well. Plots and character lines are starting to connect in a Venn diagram that is starting to look like the Olympic circles

If this show sticks the landing, it will be one of my all-time favorites. It's all I've been thinking about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Geekslinger posted:

They way the story plays and calls back to previous episodes it just doesn't fit a weekly release format as well.

Genuine question, I've never had problems remembering most plot points week to week, though it helps that most weekly shows come the previouslies. (Honestly all shows should come with previpuslies for every episode, that are just auto skipped if you're binging. I've walked away from shows for months, come back, and then not remembered all the details because there'sno previously on accessible and it kinda sucks.)

But, like I said, question: do people tend to prefer binge watching because they forget about the previous episodes over the course of a week or two? (As opposed to several months or whatever.)

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Me personally no, but one of the complaints I've read were people not picking up details or threads from the early episodes because they hadn't seen them in a few weeks. Take that along with watching other shows in-between the releases I can see things getting muddled for some.

The most recent episode really ties back all the way to episode 2 with some of the threads that were there in passing, but if you had watched that a month ago those connections are not as apparent.

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 7, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I prefer to binge a more plot driven show. It keeps everything fresh and can ride the momentum. Because otherwise I’m bad at coming back every week and my interest ebbs and flows. And I don’t like discussion threads or the obsessive analysis of shows so I don’t have them keeping me engaged all week.

For more episodic stuff I prefer weekly. Something I don’t have to be super plugged into, just something I can pop on whenever to decompress or eat or fold laundry or whatever.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Open Source Idiom posted:

Genuine question, I've never had problems remembering most plot points week to week, though it helps that most weekly shows come the previouslies. (Honestly all shows should come with previpuslies for every episode, that are just auto skipped if you're binging. I've walked away from shows for months, come back, and then not remembered all the details because there'sno previously on accessible and it kinda sucks.)

But, like I said, question: do people tend to prefer binge watching because they forget about the previous episodes over the course of a week or two? (As opposed to several months or whatever.)

For me is a bit of this but more that I like to watch on my own rhythm and 1 week(or sometime more) between episodes usually kinda kills the show mood, if that makes any sense

But Im already used to waiting for shows to finish airing so I can watch my own way

edit: pretty much this:

STAC Goat posted:

It keeps everything fresh and can ride the momentum

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Early pandemic, I had two roommates with whom I wound up watching a LOT of TV at night, and we started doing it "network style" - we'd be watching three to five shows at a time, but watching only one episode of each a night unless there was some exceptional circumstance (two-part finale, etc). I wouldn't want to watch TV like that all the time, but as a novelty it really was kind of great, and also made me very nostalgic for the way TV worked when I was a kid.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
My old roommates and I used to do that! It is a lot of fun. I could get behind daily releases from streaming companies, but going back to weekly… no thank you.

What, is this 1985 or something? As a society it’s time we moved on from such primitive ideas.

If we have time after this I say we move on from racism or something, but weekly releases is first as that affects (effect?) everyone.

Edit:
Unrelated note: would affect or effect have been correct there? Effect right?

Edit edit:
Going with affect!

Robobot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 8, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

My old roommates and I used to do that! It is a lot of fun. I could get behind daily releases from streaming companies, but going back to weekly… no thank you.

What, is this 1985 or something? As a society it’s time we moved on from such primitive ideas.

If we have time after this I say we move on from racism or something, but weekly releases is first as that affects (effect?) everyone.

Edit:
Unrelated note: would affect or effect have been correct there? Effect right?

Edit edit:
Going with affect!

Yeah, affect.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like weekly releases because they fit nicely into a routine (Wednesday night is D+ night) and I can't really watch more than a few episodes a night anyway.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I like weekly releases because they fit nicely into a routine (Wednesday night is D+ night) and I can't really watch more than a few episodes a night anyway.

you can do this when a full season is available too :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Google Butt posted:

you can do this when a full season is available too :)

Much harder to avoid spoilers though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And much harder to have a discussion with colleagues or friends about it. Turns from “did you see the latest game of thrones” to “oh, you’re watching Ozark too? Where are you up to? Oh, it’s 5 episodes further - never mind!”

Both approaches are great and both have their problems.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is even harder to avoid spoilers when you are waiting for a show to finish airing to watch

Personally I solved that by not caring about it (also having a lovely memory helps)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 8, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think anyone here is actually being serious about weekly releases being dated etc. But if they were, they’d be a real idiot!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

On The Mick:

I'll have to read on that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The BBC's new Around the World in 80 Days adaptation. Overall it's a pretty good reworking of the story. It diverts from the original in a lot of the events that occur during the journey. My main criticism is that at times it feels like they've jumped between locations; a smidge more scene setting might have made it feel more like a continuous trip and less an anthology of individual places.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Help, I started watching Dark Shadows!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ted lasso was an incredibly sweet show. I think it may have given me diabetes

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Help, I started watching Dark Shadows!

Did you start at the beginning or when Barnabus comes along? I strongly suggest you start at the beginning so that you can get a feel for the main characters and the production style.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We binged White Lotus over the past couple of days. I've always loved Jennifer Coolidge but this was probably the best thing she's ever done.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did you start at the beginning or when Barnabus comes along? I strongly suggest you start at the beginning so that you can get a feel for the main characters and the production style.

Wha?! Dang, I thought we were starting at the beginning. I’m watching it on IMDB. Totally didn’t notice. We just watched the Johnny Depp film so I feel like we’ve got some context.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I just started Lodge 49 again for the 5th time. It's still so good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Wha?! Dang, I thought we were starting at the beginning. I’m watching it on IMDB. Totally didn’t notice. We just watched the Johnny Depp film so I feel like we’ve got some context.

The Depp movie was a steaming pile of poo poo. Tim Burton claims to be a fan of the show, but you wouldn't know it by the movie.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ilmucche posted:

Ted lasso was an incredibly sweet show. I think it may have given me diabetes

Lasso was a good watch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Currently watching Crossing Swords. It's kind of funny in parts but I won't be holding my breath in eagerness for Season 3.

It's mildly funny to me that Ted Lasso's actor is also the voice of Bryce from Hit Monkey which is also a weirdly sweet show.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Finished Hotel Del Luna. Mostly enjoyable, but started to take itself way too seriously. Also holy poo poo did this show not need a serial killer recurring villain. The show was at its best when it reveled in the fantastical.
If I were to describe what the show is like in a nutshell, imagine this happening at least twice an episode:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We are now working our way through Dave, Search Party s5, and s3 of You all at once. There's too much TV these days.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Trig Discipline posted:

We are now working our way through Dave, Search Party s5, and s3 of You all at once. There's too much TV these days.

I just watched all of Search Party S5 last night and boy what a trip! I wish I could tell my past self that the show will end with zombie outbreak. Overall, loved it. The running joke at the end with the automated cars was perfect.

Also, fiancé and I binged You S3 a month ago and I actually really liked it. I wasn't huge on S2, as I really didn't like Love's character. They really flesh her out so much in S3 and I was very shocked that they actually killed her off! The scene with the house on fire and that drat T Swift song, got us both a little emotional haha Really interested to see how they approach S4.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Buttchocks posted:

Finished Hotel Del Luna. Mostly enjoyable, but started to take itself way too seriously. Also holy poo poo did this show not need a serial killer recurring villain. The show was at its best when it reveled in the fantastical.
If I were to describe what the show is like in a nutshell, imagine this happening at least twice an episode:

Shame, I like the side characters and the idea of the hotel, but the melodrama with the leads isn't really clicking for me.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The streaming talk a page ago got me thinking about shows on streaming services that never really got their due. I'm trying to put together a handy list of underrated shows to hand out to people that I think are worth spreading. I've got a couple TVIV favorites like Patriot on there, but I know there's plenty more I'm missing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nerdietalk posted:

The streaming talk a page ago got me thinking about shows on streaming services that never really got their due. I'm trying to put together a handy list of underrated shows to hand out to people that I think are worth spreading. I've got a couple TVIV favorites like Patriot on there, but I know there's plenty more I'm missing.

If you're asking for suggestions

SUNDANCE
This Close

AMAZON
Jean Claude Van Johnson
One Mississippi
Comrade Detective
I Love Dick
Wayne
The Feed

HBO MAX
Folklore
Quarry
The Knick
Jett
Betty
Getting On
Enlightened

APPLE
Little Voice
Little America
Mr. Corman
(Though quite a lot of apple shows count tbh)

NETFLIX
The OA
The Dark Crystal

HULU
Creamerie
Castle Rock
Casual
The Mick

Other places, I dunno where they are right now:
The Shivering Truth
Yolo: Crystal Fantasy
Primal
On Becoming A God In Central Florida
Good Behavior
Baskets
Corporate
American Crime
Galavant
Blood Drive
Incoporated
Happy
Little Birds
Fortitude
People of Earth
The Detour
19-2
Impulse
Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes On Television
Crashing (The Phoebe Walter Bridge version)
Emerald City

That's a pretty long list, but I dunno what you're really looking for tbh.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 12, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hotel Del Luna, like a lot of a Korean shows, suffers from needing more editing. The show is always dragging out things.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

If you're asking for suggestions

That's a pretty long list, but I dunno what you're really looking for tbh.

Honestly a list like this is perfect, I'm eager to check out basically anything that people might like.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat Idiom that’s a fantastic list

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

drat Idiom that’s a fantastic list

Yeah I don't know most of those shows but the ones that I do are quite good.

I'm permanently bummed that On Becoming a God in Central Florida didn't get a longer run. I feel like it was doing what Good Girls tried to do but a million times better, with a healthy dose of David Lynch thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I don't know most of those shows but the ones that I do are quite good.

I'm permanently bummed that On Becoming a God in Central Florida didn't get a longer run. I feel like it was doing what Good Girls tried to do but a million times better, with a healthy dose of David Lynch thrown in.

Every show j can think of that had its renewal reversed due to COVID was female-focused or largely focused on a female lead. This, GLOW, Stumptown….