Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it wasn't bad but there were little tweaks that could have improved it a lot. like don't be a loving coward, dexter. punch your own drat ticket and don't leave that trauma to your son

and i guess the billionaire guy really was a disappearing red herring. i maintain kurt's deathbed confession had a deliberate air of shifting responsibility, but it didn't get resolved. oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

R. Guyovich posted:

it wasn't bad but there were little tweaks that could have improved it a lot. like don't be a loving coward, dexter. punch your own drat ticket and don't leave that trauma to your son

"You deserve better. A better life." :laffo:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Series redeemed.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

‘Dexter: New Blood’ Boss On Shocking Finale; Teases Possible New Season

Clyde Phillips posted:

I have three words for you: Dexter is dead. I wouldn’t do that to the audience. It would be dishonest. Here, there is no question that this is the finale of Dexter. Dexter is dead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

escape artist posted:

Series redeemed.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The spoilers as a synopsis make this finale sound really silly but I thought it was a great ending actually watched. Dexter finally ran into people who weren't interested in his excuses and Harrison was able to see through him and tear him down. If they'd rushed the scene or had Harrison do a dramatic Dexter style kill on him or something it would've been bad but I feel like they nailed it. That's one hell of a much better ending than the original show had. I liked the letter's content paired with Harrison having to miserably leave the town he'd grown fond of.

edit: Also Julia Jones really killed it this episode, I liked in particular before she went in her house the way her face twisted into this mishmash of anger, betrayal and sadness. Her expression when Harrison puts his wrists out to be cuffed was incredible too.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 9, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It doesn’t make sense that Harrison would have to run away. If Angela says she shot Dexter and Harrison wasn’t there what trouble would he be in?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I went back and watched the Batista scene again and paused to look at his emails- apparently Masuka is having a bachelor party and Quinn is asking about it too.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Wasn't perfect, but a masterpiece compared to the previous ending. Such a relief to see someone running this show who understands it. I felt genuine, nauseating dread from the moment the cuffs went on.

Weird of them to tease Batista like that, what would he even do in hypothetical future seasons?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Good, not great. But mostly great with what they had to work with.

If I though the writers were smart enough to manage it, I'd applaud Angela as the epitome of modern policing. Absolutely loving useless and incompetent for 90% of the series, before a series of utter coincidences allow her to stumble rear end backward onto the truth.

I mean, her case against him for Matt's death. You've got screws delivered to her house with a note and the same screw in his burned house. Whupty loving do. Congrats, the guy who burned his house down planted evidence. The guy who happened to have mysteriously fled town and had an empty gas truck parked outside his house. This is the same DA that let Caldwell walk in the first place, and you think they're going to indict on that lovely nonsense?

Ah, but Batista will be there with his LaGuerta file of... uh...

See the funny thing is, LaGuerta's investigation was nearly entirely off the books. It started with her finding a blood slide in a burned down church and... yeah, that was basically it. She tried to bait him into killing the guy who killed his mother, but she is publicly embarassed when all the evidence she has against him is from old cases and has her fingerprints on it. She ends up dead having shot Estrada in something that looks entirely unrelated to Dexter. The woman died in complete loving disgrace and no one should have taken anything she said seriously.

For fucksake, there is a scene in season 8 of Batista destroying her old files that might have implicated Dexter.

They have nothing on him. Zip, zilch, nada. Batista never bought into the idea, and even if he considered it after Dexter's death, there is nothing to go on.

Which leaves Angela with what? Wow two drug addicts with needle marks on their necks. Color me loving convinced.

But after all that. After all those screw ups and stupidities, and 'what if we tried looking for a pattern', she still somehow manages to solve two enormous serial killer cases in a single day by dint of having the evidence fall into her loving lap. American loving policing. When we get it right, its because some dumb motherfucker rolls through a stop sign.

I can't.

And Dexter, jesus. I'm happy that Harrison is what ultimately fucks him. It is very fitting. He drastically overestimates how hosed up Harrison is, and the fact that he was a deadbeat dad compounds into the fact that Harrison won't just take his side at the last moment. And at the same time, the only reason he's been identified is because of Harrison. Its almost like there is a theme, that his inability to engage in basic human emotions and realities allows for the people close to him to finally see him for the monster he is.

Props to his increasingly desperate murder boner in the last episode, though I wish they could have upped it a bit sooner. He did a drat good job of portraying the reality that he was nothing more than a junkie fallen completely off the wagon.

I guess I just wish they'd tightened the writing. You could have had all those events play out in a logical way where the characters weren't dumb as bags of bricks. The acting, the cinematography, the music, all of it was excellent. A+. Even the character moments, I'd argue, were excellent. Its just the I dunno, the 'murder mystery' part? The investigation part? Make Kurt not an idiot in how he picks his victims, don't let Angela forget he exists as soon as she can't make charges stick, come up with a better introduction for Dexter's backstory.

I'm sitting here and I want to rewrite this. Like ffs, you want to put a bug in the ear for Angela to clue into the fact that he might be the Bay Harbor Butcher? You've got the murder podcaster RIGHT THERE. Have Molly and Dexter not in the same scene for 2/3rds of the season, then have her meet him, or see him in a photo and be like "Holy gently caress, that is Dexter Morgan."

Aghhhh. Okay I'm done.

Nope. I lied.

I feel like they needed to do a revision to make it look like Dexter was responsible for Iris' death, and that Iris died much more recently (perhaps a daughter who fit the code), because her visceral spitting hatred for Dexter feels weird given how we've seen everyone else react to him in the past.

Yes, he was the Bay Harbor Butcher, but even the people dealing with those bodies, who had to look at and investigate dismembered corpses didn't seem to hate him. Part of what made the whole thing messed up for law enforcement was that yeah, he was absolutely killing murderers. Wiggles the clown was 100% a serial murderer, as was everyone else in those bags. But her hatred of him comes off not as someone who is disgusted that their boyfriend was a serial killer and lied to them, but as a person who personally knew the victims.

Like a much stronger ending to the show would be to have her hating him for killing her daughter, trying to bury him for it, only to go to Kurt's house and realize 'oh poo poo, it was this other guy all along, I am such a fuckup', but then go try to do her job anyways in taking him down.

Caros fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 9, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Season finale discussion: I do wish they had just had Batista walk in on the interview while Dexter was trying to spin some BS and had him flustered because of that.

And yeah, Harrison being kicked out of town feels pretty unnecessary.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Well that wasn't terrible!

I especially liked how early in the episode Dexter excitedly talked about taking the murder-show on the road with Harrison. It drove home how creepy Dexter is and how "justice" is just a pretext. It's also a shame we didn't get to see a scene between Batista and Dexter and there was a lot they still could have done, but I'll take it!

Overall what this season had over the last few seasons was that it wasn't boring. Reading the old threads for the show reminded me how tedious this show got.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Not sure why Lundy flashed before Dexter's eyes, I thought that was solely because Lundy was investigating Trinity

Caros
May 14, 2008

For a fun time, go look at the reddit meltdown on the the ending. They mad, it is glorious.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Caros posted:

For a fun time, go look at the reddit meltdown on the the ending. They mad, it is glorious.

Can I get a link to the tears please?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Well... let's see....

I know the point of the season was to "do the series finale over again, but good" and I think they accomplished that goal. Everyone's joke about Dexter abandoning his son is resolved rather well, we see Dexter straight up have to kill someone who doesn't deserve it (all the other people he thinks he killed weren't really his fault but they spent this season letting us know he feels the guilt over all of them) finally proving that he'll put his own life before an innocent's. For once, he did something you couldn't excuse and he didn't get away with it. I suppose that's how you completely finish a 9-season TV show in a way that feels like an end but...it does suck that it took until the literal last episode to make Dexter actually irredeemable. But then I counter-point that with the fact that it's a good thing they didn't take the Breaking Bad route and try to make it obvious this was a necessary end for Dexter. So... even though I didn't necessarily enjoy how it went down, I do have to commend the showrunner for doing what he set out to do. Even if it didn't end in a way that made me smile and didn't really live up to his promise:

quote:

The ending of this one will be stunning, shocking, surprising, unexpected. And without jinxing anything, I will say that the ending of this new season that we’re doing will blow up the internet.
I cannot in good conscious say it was a "bad" ending.

But...

It is rather stupid that all of this started because of his weird obsession with a white deer and that it all ends because he snapped Logan's neck instead of, y'know... just keeping him in a choke hold until he fainted.
It's pretty silly that the one thing Dexter has tried multiple times (get a friend to help him serial kill) and failed at is what ultimately does him in in the end. Dude never loving learned!
It is on brand for prestige television that the penultimate episode was the best of the season.
Finally, I'm both angry and relieved that the final shots were what they were. Angry because I need ghost Dexter. Relieved because, let's face it, people would have made fun of that just as much as people made fun of lumberjack Dexter. The showrunner wanted to end this respectfully (even if he is teasing more seasons) and I cannot really fault him for it. This season was top 50% and run entertainingly and competently. I won't even check to see how many points my ultimate finale guess got because they refused to get campy. Good on them, but... eh... yawn.

Farewell, Dexter.

Here's Batista's e-mails:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm really happy Batista is happily married and Masuka also found love. gently caress Quinn though.
More edit: LOL that Batista has a loving beach as his computer wallpaper. Dude, you see that beach every day... who the gently caress makes their desktop wallpaper what they see outside their window?
ALSO I don't think this season takes place at the end of 2021... the full moon was December 18th, not anywhere between the 25th and 31st. Considering Harrison's aging up and the lack of pandemic (thank gently caress) maybe this is 2024!

Edit:

escape artist posted:

Not sure why Lundy flashed before Dexter's eyes, I thought that was solely because Lundy was investigating Trinity

Because Dexter took too long to kill Trinity. Part of Dexter's guilt is anyone who dies from a serial killer he had a chance to kill but didn't. Remember that Trinity could have fallen to his death but Dexter saves him.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 9, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So overall for someone who's been following Dexter ironically after season 4.

Is this season worth watching?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Shageletic posted:

So overall for someone who's been following Dexter ironically after season 4.

Is this season worth watching?
Yes and purely for the penultimate episode but, really, the whole season is fairly well done! It takes a couple episodes to wind up but once it goes, it goes.
Just... don't expect expert writing. There is plenty to wring your hands over but none of it's really so bad as to ruin an episode or the season.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Oh yeah, something that jumped out at me: during the conversation with Logan, there's a very short flashback with what looks like Harrison spotting the white deer. He then immediately lies about not being in town at the time and then changes the subject -- but the flashback doesn't make any sense if he's just covering for his dad. Any idea what that's about? Seemed weird.

vseslav.botkin fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 9, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

vseslav.botkin posted:

Oh yeah, something that jumped out at me: during the conversation with Logan, there's a very short flashback with what looks like Harrison spotting the white dear. He then immediately lies about not being in town at the time and then changes the subject -- but the flashback doesn't make any sense if he's just covering for his dad. Any idea what that's about? Seemed weird.
I assumed it was just to let us know that Harrison knows Dexter killed Matt. It's just a little extra doubt in his mind to pile the Logan death on top of to ensure he has good reason to want to kill Dexter.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
It was alright it went through the right beats but it was kind of boring. I laughed pretty hard when Dexter snapped the coach's neck as he could've easily put him asleep. I thought for sure Dexter was still going to be alive because of $$$, but I'm glad they actually killed him. Feels like it could've used a scene with Batista confronting Dexter and them really legally trapping him, forcing him into a corner and having no choice but to escape. They rushed it and as a result it felt anticlimactic. Overall it was okay 6/10

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I loved how how Dexter panics and fucks it all up after even the tiniest mention of Angel coming over. Really committed to that guy never getting closure.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm a loving nerd with a sleeping disorder:

First off let me say, this show was good.

Not great, but definitely good. The characters were well acted given their material, the cinematography was excellent in places as was the music. I'd give it a solid 7/10 even with all my problems, and it could easily rise if those problems were addressed.

So, what are those problems? Well, you read the title. It is bad writing. But not generally bad writing. The moment to moment writing was good. Decent dialogue, mostly sensible a->b->c character arcs that are entirely servicable.

The main issue I have, which I suspect is the issue almost every one has, is that the central through line, the 'mystery' of the season, was written badly. The plot introduces contrivance after contrivance in order to get the characters to a pre-determined point in ways that seem oddly out of character and beyond nonsensical.

Angela's path to tracking down Dexter, for example. Harrison needs to mention that Jim isn't his real name, which needs to get to Angela, who has to have just randomly bumped into Batista. Batista needs to have randomly mentioned Dexter in conversation, as well as Harrison. Then she needs to investigate the man he beat the poo poo out of, find the needle mark on his neck, connect that to the dealer, connect that to the BHB (despite that not being a plot point in previous series) in order to become convinced of his real identity.

I'm fairly certain I'm missing a few steps in that chain.

So because I'm a writing nerd, I wanted to see how difficult it would be to keep the general structure and resolution of the plot intact, while making it make more sense.

To that end, a few ground rules:

1. No new characters.

2. Revisions to existing characters are allowed.

3. No new set pieces or significantly increased or decreased episode length.

4. I'm only addressing the main issue of the plot. Things like wasted time on the billionaire are more in depth than I'm willing to be.

The only substantive difference I think I'd make to the cast is changing Iris from a childhood friend missing for decades years, to a daughter missing for at most a few years. This makes the issue more personal and recent for the chief, and fits into a later plot point.

Episode 1, 2, 3 - Episode 1 is a fine reintroduction of the characters and core concepts of the series. Only three substantive changes. The first is the above mentioned change to Iris, which is only beneficial in making the overprotective mom aspect work in early scenes. The second is to make it nebulous how long it has been since he has killed, though the time is measured in years. The third is a taking, and hiding, of a blood slide. This last one isn't strictly necessary, it just helps me have a functional thing to point to his guilt in the end without having to do substantial rewrites.

Episode 4 - Molly Park is introduced and she does not see Dexter. This is the first major change. I'd personally put her on a better starting foot with Angela by having her there to investigate the missing girls in the first place (you know, what a true crime podcaster actually does, rather than investigating a 4-day missing drunk yahoo in the middle of nowhere) but either way puts us at the same point.

Episode 5 - Main change here is the introduction of Dexter's backstory. Rather than waste time on the trip to New York (Much as I was happy to see Bautista), its time gets taken up by Molly meeting Dexter in passing. She's visibly spooked, and later in the episode comes to Angela to say "Hey, uh... your boyfriend looks a lot like Dexter Morgan. Molly now has a point in the plot (yay) and the introduction of his backstory isn't dumb. Angela doesn't take this on face value of course, but can't deny the resemblance.

She eventually pulls at the edges of 'Jim Lindsay' and finds proof showing the identity is fake. Hey look, she's doing competent police work and doesn't need to be told 'look for a pattern' when tracking down a serial killer. Progress in making her look less stupid and the plot less contrived.

Episode 6 - Dexter follows Molly and Kurt as before. When he saves her this time, however, there is a bit of a new undertone. Molly, being good at her job, had considered Dexter Morgan as her #1 BHB suspect but had kept that away from her podcast and away from Angela because she is one of the (presumably many regular people in this universe) who actually approved of what he did. She spills out some of the facts that convinced her he was the killer, which seems to be a drat good case.

She admits as much in the car, realizes that he is stalking Kurt and how close she just came to death at Kurt's hand. He denies it all, but is conflicted on how to handle Molly given that she outed him in the first place and could be a serious threat. A body is found but it does not belong to Iris as Iris was not Kurt's first victim.

Episode 7 - Plays out much the same. Kurt gets accused but walks (hopefully with a slightly better reason). Molly and Angela fight, then reconcile toward the later half of the episode where the next major change occurs. Iris wasn't just a runaway, she was accused (wrongly) of some sort of murder. The sort of accusation that would have put her in the sights of the BHB, who Molly knows lives in the town. Iris now fits victim profiles for Kurt and Dexter. Well gently caress.

Episode 8 - Angela remains on Kurt's tracks, trying to tie him to the missing girls without success. Meanwhile Molly follows up on cold cases in the city, trying to see if and how long Dexter has been active, in order to disprove her fear that he killed Iris. Not going to dig too deep into the specifics, but she finds just enough mud in the water for the answer to be unclear. Couple this with Matt being missing and the recent druggie incidents and she is concerned and conflicted.

Episode 9 - Molly isn't pointlessly killed for shock value. She follows that last thread (the ketamine, which is his best case m-99 in series) and finds that he has been taking it for a few years. Convinced that he hasn't stopped, she goes to Angela with her proof, distracting her right as she is about to head to Kurt's cabin (where she would catch Dexter and Harrison in the act).

Episode 10 - Angela thinks Dexter murdered her daughter. She arrests his rear end, and slams him with fairly convincing evidence. She has Molly's general case for him being the BHB (I'm not going to make it here, but there was enough circumstantial evidence in the original series that you could make a compelling case, the show just refused to). Compound that with the fact that she has Matt going missing when he fit the victim profile, the death and assault on the drug dealer, his investigation into Kurt before the later was even on their radar (following Molly to the cabin), along with the timing of his arrival with Iris' disappearance.

It might not be enough to convict, but even the assault alone is enough to hold him while they get a search warrant for his not burned cabin (since that is largely pointless in this version). He knows they'll find evidence. Dexter convinces Harrison to phone in an anonymous call about Kurt's murder hole.

Angela knows she is being played, but with Iris mentioned on the call she can't resist. She finds Iris' body, clearly Kurt's doing. She comes back shaken and contrite, realizing that this man didn't kill her daughter. She'll let him go, she'll be happy he did it and she'll let him go. She is happy he did it, but she actually believes in the law, and holds him anyways because she knows he didn't do it for her, or for justice or anything else. His backup plan was a total failure.

He kills his way out of a cell and you get a similar ending. Tada. The plot makes sense.

Alternate - If you want to go out on a grim note, you keep the cinematography for the basement the same, but instead of having Angela go down, be horrified and then find her daughter, she doesn't find her among the bodies.

Dexter did actually kill her some years earlier. He uses the opportunity to escape, blatantly killing for expediency this time, knowing Angela will probably dome him on the spot when she gets back to the station. You get the same or similar ending, but he's just that much more of a piece of poo poo. You can even include a fun montage of all the people he'd killed over the years with Matt just his latest roll off the wagon. And hey, look. You can keep a central mystery that has been played up for much of the season entirely open ended in a way that makes either outcome plausible and satisfying.

So yeah, that is how I'd tell roughly the same story without having to make any bizarre leaps of logic. I have now put more thought into this post than the entirety of seasons 6-8.

Caros fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 9, 2022

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

in 3 years there will be a new Showtime show: "Harrison"

because showrunners have no new ideas these days

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JaddaCaddra posted:

Well, alright then. That was actually a pretty good ending. Once again though, Dexter is like SOA, in that the ending was good, but it wasn't earned because everything leading up to it was total trash. I like it a lot better than the lumberjack ending anyways.

wait hold up

the ending of SOA was not good

regarding Dexter: eh? we got some glimpses of actual interesting things batista dexter reuinion, dexter being interviewed, Harrison telling Dexter to shut up and laying into him but then dexter going from escape mode to kill me mode happened way too quickly and just seemed like the writers trying to redeem dexter like how is that going to help harrison lol. and the harrison has to leave the town for no reason. i guess i just wanted a happier ending for harrison. poor kid

overall i think the only reason this season was better than the previous ones is because of Harrison. easy mvp and ill be watching Harrison even though it'll be really bad

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i doubt there will actually be a harrison series because michael c. hall is the draw. they'd have to get him back for the green light so he'd need to be the new ghost harry or something and i don't know if that happens

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Just watched. Didn't really like the actual resolution but 80% of the episode was captivating to watch wondering where it would go, then it went where it did. I thought they were going to have more up their sleeve for this.

Basically the only thing I didn't want here was for Dexter to die, and Harrison killing Dexter is fine but it feels so obvious. Dexter deciding to kill Coach also didn't make any sense because, as he even said in the episode, the case against him was paper thin and he would easily have walked on Matt's murder. The BHB stuff - well, who knows, I don't remember all the details, but it's definitely not a 'i'm hosed must kill cop and escape' situation at the point Dexter presses the red button. Although, I don't know how US imprisonment works - wouldn't Dexter have some reprieve of freedom while they are building a case about these decade+ long murders? I suppose it just felt extremely rushed to me and not enough plot justification to hurry up and get to the final scene with Harrison and Dexter in the woods.

We should have gotten a much more thorough stripping away of Dexter's self-rationalisations for what he does than one episode. Killing Coach is obviously nakedly sociopathic, but because it was such a huge escalation, it felt like the show was just rushing in at the end of a season where Dexter is about as relatably human as he's ever been to say no no no he's evil okay right bye bye!

There are various little details I wasn't really buying as the interrogation went on, like the whole ketamine thing (although only because i saw it pointed out that dexter never used ketamine before iron lake), I didn't like that Kurt's crimes were a footnote in this episode - just a way for Dexter to distract Angela. I would've liked to see more on that, Angela wrestling with the fact that she missed this so completely and Dexter resolved it for good. This episode just steamrolls through it.

Basically the moment Dexter snapped Coach's neck, I was kind of out of it. Options from there were: Dexter goes on the run, Dexter kills Harrison (would have actually loved this, just full mask off stuff), and just y'know, Dexter dead the end.

There's a kind of moralistic tone to this dexter must die thing as a corrective to the original ending. I never actually watched the last season of Dexter but folks, this is an absurd fantasy land show, we don't need to put our foot down at the end and say serial killing is bad, though, just to do it. Nobody is being corrupted.

I suppose we won't be getting any more after all, at least not of Dexter from this point in the timeline. Was really hoping for that Dexter on the run/in prison season but that goose is cooked.

Just my initial thoughts there, I might change my mind but looking at it in its totality this was a decently entertaining season of TV with some funny bad writing and exciting parts that ended in a way appropriate to the quality of the show in general.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 9, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

roomtone posted:

Just watched. Didn't really like the actual resolution but 80% of the episode was captivating to watch wondering where it would go, then it went where it did. I thought they were going to have more up their sleeve for this.

Basically the only thing I didn't want here was for Dexter to die, and Harrison killing Dexter is fine but it feels so obvious. Dexter deciding to kill Coach also didn't make any sense because, as he even said in the episode, the case against him was paper thin and he would easily have walked on Matt's murder. The BHB stuff - well, who knows, I don't remember all the details, but it's definitely not a 'i'm hosed must kill cop and escape' situation at the point Dexter presses the red button. Although, I don't know how US imprisonment works - wouldn't Dexter have some reprieve of freedom while they are building a case about these decade+ long murders? I suppose it just felt extremely rushed to me and not enough plot justification to hurry up and get to the final scene with Harrison and Dexter in the woods.

We should have gotten a much more thorough stripping away of Dexter's self-rationalisations for what he does than one episode. Killing Coach is obviously nakedly sociopathic, but because it was such a huge escalation, it felt like the show was just rushing in at the end of a season where Dexter is about as relatably human as he's ever been to say no no no he's evil okay right bye bye!

There are various little details I wasn't really buying as the interrogation went on, like the whole ketamine thing (although only because i saw it pointed out that dexter never used ketamine before iron lake), I didn't like that Kurt's crimes were a footnote in this episode - just a way for Dexter to distract Angela. I would've liked to see more on that, Angela wrestling with the fact that she missed this so completely and Dexter resolved it for good. This episode just steamrolls through it.

Basically the moment Dexter snapped Coach's neck, I was kind of out of it. Options from there were: Dexter goes on the run, Dexter kills Harrison (would have actually loved this, now THAT's how you show him for what he is), and just y'know, Dexter dead the end.

I suppose we won't be getting any more after all, at least not of Dexter from this point in the timeline. Was really hoping for that Dexter on the run/in prison season but that goose is cooked.

Just my initial thoughts there, I might change my mind but looking at it in its totality this was a decently entertaining season of TV with some funny bad writing and exciting parts that ended in a way appropriate to the quality of the show in general.

Yeah agreed with all of this. A lot of missed opportunities but I guess that's just Dexter in general

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The next season, under the direction of new showrunner Scott Buck, will be about Angela discovering evidence of another serial killer in Iron Lake. Having no other options, she gets Dexter as a consultant. He is, of course, alive, locked up in Kurt's old prison room after Angela resuscitated him right after Harrison left. David Zayas also guest-stars, Batista having rationalized that Dexter couldn't possibly have been the Bay Harbor Butcher.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Dexter Dies At The End would've been a better show title than New Blood

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Well I liked it :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Guys, I don't know if you knew this already, but nutting feels really, really good. I don't know that we really need an explanation for why Dexter and Angela got together besides "peepee hard".

I also never bought into how "emotionless" Dexter is. He tries to act really cold in his voiceovers and tells us how he's faking everything, but he obviously has emotions -- he cared deeply about Deb and Rita and felt miserable when things happened to them, to the point of uprooting his life and vanishing so he doesn't get his son hurt too (because he also cares about Harrison and probably whatshername that he left with.) He's hosed in the head, but he's not really emotionless, and I've always seen him as wishing he could be just a regular guy with a family. It's not at all surprising that he ends up in relationships here and there, because just like the rest of us, he's driven to want to make a connection with someone, to feel that sense of love and belonging. He just has a hard time comprehending it all because of who he is.

Getting into pop psychology here but I remember reading about how real psychopaths aren't exactly emotionless either, they just have slightly less of the essential ones to community functioning that most people have. Most people consider empathy to be an involuntary thing, you see somewhat get hurt and you feel bad regardless, with psychopaths its more optional.

In terms of the character Dexter he's generally portrayed as more analogue to a drug addict (for murder) than a true psychopath though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Well that was contrived.

R. Guyovich posted:

laguerta was a bench. now she is a folder

:nice:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao what a garbage ending; 10/10, the perfect send-off for Dexter

The entire dramatic lynchpin for Dexter's downfall is Angela's case against him, and not only was her case garbage, she's also a garbage cop. Literally all she had was an anonymous note with the screws and another screw she found at an arson scene; and her case for the Bay Harbor Butcher killings was hardly stronger. I literally laughed out loud when she was going off about how she would dedicate her life to getting Dexter put away and hopefully the death penalty; when a couple days earlier she just let the serial killer who defined her law enforcement career and personal life walk and never bothered him again. Then again when Logan was suddenly entirely on board that Dexter mentioning that Kurt had a murder room, was the arsonist, and had the opportunity to plant all the evidence was obviously a fake story that the DA might buy, instead of showing any actual skepticism. Then I guffawed even harder when she phoned up Batista and he just casually said "oh yeah my ex-wife thought Dexter Morgan was the Bay Harbor Butcher and then she got murdered anyway bye," neglecting to mention that LaGuerta's case totally fell apart and he was found to have nothing to do with her murder.

The final scene with Harrison was actually really good, and I enjoyed the callback to "open your eyes and look at what you've done." Harrison was no doubt the star of the show and his actor really sold him as a kid going through some real complex times. I don't even know how to feel about it ending on "I recognize and apologize for all the trauma I've caused you. Now be a good boy and murder your dad in cold blood, like I taught you" other than it is possibly the Dexterest ending possible.

Going from this, it seems obvious that the writers made a top five list of things people wanted in a Dexter finale:
-Dexter gets caught as the Bay Harbor Butcher and arrested
-Dexter gets told in no uncertain terms that he is a killer because he gets off on it, and every other layer is just rationalization papering over this
-Someone rejects the idea of raising a child to be a serial killer, because that is loving insane and abusive
-Dexter gets done in by someone who genuinely loves and cares for him, like a family member, because he lets them close enough to see what he really is
-Dexter does a real emotion in his final moments and admits that he deserves his fate, just as he'd always say his victims deserved theirs

and wrote the entire season backwards from there, with characters making whatever leaps they had to do to get there, and with no care for how any of the conclusions or roads there conflict with each other. I think they mostly got the emotional beats with Harrison right, he's a compelling character, but it ended up feeling a bit rushed because they spent most of the season being guarded and getting very little from each other until Harrison gets the entire Secret in episode 9 and rejects it one episode later. It really ought to have been more of a gradual process. Kurt, likewise, was a compelling character and Clancy Brown rules, but there's something about the way his connection to Dexter played out that felt off to me and I can't quite put my finger on why.

What definitely didn't work out was Angela and Molly. I can see what the plan here was: a dogged cop meets a compelling case and gets a whiff of a link that she pursues to the bitter end, like Doakes and Quinn and LaGuerta before her, but god drat, Angela is somehow a worse cop than any of them, and two of those were already the worst cops in a show full of bad cops. I genuinely laughed at every other scene she was in after she entirely forgot about Kurt and Iris and the transients, and I don't think I was intended to.

This was a real solid season of Dexter, and it managed to get as stupid as the best of times, but also didn't waste its time on boring-rear end B-plots about who his colleagues happen to be fuckin this season. Definitely makes the top three.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 9, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

so perfect that the show came back and redeemed itself only to unredeem itself. things are once again in balance.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
ending sucks because it dangled an angel dexter reunion right in front of me then immediately took it away, it's like they wrote 2/3 of the episode and then the 2nd season didn't get greenlit so they had to go with ending B as quick as possible

Although part of me thinks the Dark Passenger got exactly what it wanted at the end? Killing a person might awaken some sort of latent Dark passenger in Harrison, Dexter was useless by that point and was going to end up in jail at some point anyway, and now Harrison has had to leave town and go somewhere where the Dark Passenger might be able to control him more. This is all a reach but is at least more interesting to me than Dexter felt 2 minutes of sadness so demanded his kid murder him.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Totally meaningless, non-spoilery observation that I laughed at, but probably happens all the time and I just never noticed it: this episode features at least two shots where cars have to swerve over the yellow line to avoid hitting the camera crew.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good ending. Checked all the boxes I had for the series finale:

- Dexter is outed as the Bay Harbor Butcher
- Dexter is outed as a psycho by killing a non-killer
- Harrison outright rejects Dexter
- Not-Deb ascends to Debhood by solving the case and also flying into a screaming cursing fit of complete panic
- Dexter dies and no more Dexter can be made

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

ahaha so the rich guy and hint at a greater conspiracy or something going on wasn't anything? Still, I wanted one thing from this stupid franchise and finally got it.

On one hand I'm annoyed they introduced this and never went anywhere with it but on the other hand Dexter is finally over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We are finally safe, from Dexter Morgan.