Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I know pavlov will let you switch your dominant hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Reek posted:

wow I finally fired up Moss and man, its just really enjoyable. We need more games like this

Is it preferable to play it seated or standing? Same question with the Room VR. I can easily do standing but seated is just more comfortable for long sessions.

That said I'm kind of holding off on VR a bit until my lenses get in.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
If I purchased the Valve index controllers and combined it with my original wired htc vive I've had a few years, would I be able to play half like alyx properly?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Homura and Sickle posted:

If I purchased the Valve index controllers and combined it with my original wired htc vive I've had a few years, would I be able to play half like alyx properly?

Yes

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it preferable to play it seated or standing? Same question with the Room VR. I can easily do standing but seated is just more comfortable for long sessions.

You don't need to move yourself around in Moss, seated will be absolutely fine. Not sure about The Room.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Same with the room. You basically teleport from one puzzle to the next so you don't need roomscale or anything.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was wondering; still very early in RE4VR but did they add save points? It felt like they added more save points to account for more breaks, which makes sense.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Unlucky7 posted:

I was wondering; still very early in RE4VR but did they add save points? It felt like they added more save points to account for more breaks, which makes sense.

It doesn't feel like they did, to me. I think the game being so much easier (for :words: reasons I posted some time back) means you're getting to those save points more quickly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoever asked about getting into saints and sinners after re4, I’m going to say that I’ll take the dissenting opinion that S&S isn’t actually good.

Granted I didn’t beat the game, but every level I got to was the exact same thing cut and pasted. Old houses on a grid layout and lots of clouds.

If someone dropped you at a random mission in the game you’d have no idea which one it was because they all look the same.

Honestly the most fun I had with the game was loading up a trainer, giving myself infinite health and stamina and just becoming a murder machine, but that got boring too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Twibbit posted:

I cant imagine too many games that would require reaching above my head yet I keep ending up playing them. There needs to be a "I have a ceiling fan" toggle in these games.

With me it's not even a matter of does the game "require" reaching above my head, sometimes I just get cheeky in the moment and want to do some flourish or something involving reaching above me. Like I'll pick somebody up in Blade and Sorcery and want to lower their head on a sword or something, or toss something up in the air and catch it in... any given game.

I was fine in Half-Life: Alyx until the introduction to grenade throwing where they expect you to do a grenade layup into a vent. I was like "uh uhhh, game, I'm just gonna gently underhand toss it up, I know what you're trying to do to me".

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Only other question I have: is the game only playable with those are would it be largely functional with the base vive?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

King Vidiot posted:

I was fine in Half-Life: Alyx until the introduction to grenade throwing where they expect you to do a grenade layup into a vent. I was like "uh uhhh, game, I'm just gonna gently underhand toss it up, I know what you're trying to do to me".

my favorite example of a game tricking player's into hurting themselves is in the budget cuts demo

there's a part where you have to get down on your hands and knees and crawl and then there's a hole in the floor leading down to another room

I think like 90% of people tried to stick their head through the hole and smashed their face into the real world floor

it happened to me, and I thought it was pretty hilarious

the big VR goggles distributing the impact around my face helped keep it from being very painful but I feel like it's gonna be less funny when we get down to sunglasses form factor and someone breaks their nose doing it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What's the best solution to playing games via Air Link in a separate room from your PC that want a gamepad instead of the Oculus controllers? Give up and just play it wired at the PC? I was hoping the headset would, I dunno, magically detect my DS4 or something.

E: I'm sure the knuckle controllers are v fun but if Alyx was their flagship game then I'm not convinced that they really add much to anything at the moment, it plays fine on e.g. Oculus controllers. The on screen fingers flicker from position to position rather than moving naturally as I imagine they do with the knuckles and it looks a bit distracting, but I can't see any real gameplay detriment

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 9, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Homura and Sickle posted:

Only other question I have: is the game only playable with those are would it be largely functional with the base vive?

I mean heres the thing.

If you're used to wands already, you're like missing out on fingers being fingers? Its a shooter at the end of the day so the game will still work and you'll still be able to do all the game stuff. Just can't flip off things when you get pissed or whatever.

Ya buy index controllers, or save up for the kit or whatever, but if you just wanna play the game? Pull the trigger and enjoy. They bundled it with the vive pro and cosmos elite for a while if i remember correctly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It isn't like HL Alyx has unique gameplay sequences using the Index finger tracking.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whoever asked about getting into saints and sinners after re4, I’m going to say that I’ll take the dissenting opinion that S&S isn’t actually good.

Granted I didn’t beat the game, but every level I got to was the exact same thing cut and pasted. Old houses on a grid layout and lots of clouds.

If someone dropped you at a random mission in the game you’d have no idea which one it was because they all look the same.

Honestly the most fun I had with the game was loading up a trainer, giving myself infinite health and stamina and just becoming a murder machine, but that got boring too.

I haven’t played s&s in a long time, but I disagree about it being a bad game. The levels are copy paste, as are the objectives, but it doesn’t matter! They nailed the handling of weapons, inventory management and moment to moment looting while trying to be quiet. For me those essential interactions mean way more than an interesting narrative.

Maybe I’m biased because the second walking dead vr title was such a 180 in nearly every category it made me love s&s more.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Unlucky7 posted:

100% seated, i just needed to clear enough space around my desk to be able to lean around a bit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harminoff posted:

While games do have a setting sometimes they also switch movement/turning as (southpaw controls I guess?) I never got used to those. Thankfully most games now let you switch weapons to left handed and keep movement like you are right handed.

Half-Life Alyx had this really stupid idea of having a "Movement hand" and a "Shooting hand" rather than just letting you pull a gun out in your preferred hand in the heat of the moment. So if you want to shoot left-handed, movement goes on the right thumbstick :pseudo:.

What if you wanted to move and shoot with the left hand? Uh... Valve never thought of that so they had to cludge it in with a discreet controller profile through SteamVR instead of fix it in the game proper.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hah, you guys have me so split on S&S. I'll finish RE4 first and then do a second run through of it before really deciding on it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RE4 VR being Quest 2 only is a goddamn crime.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This looks sort of interesting

https://www.revria.net

quote:

Revria is a single-player VR immersive simulation set in an open star system.

https://youtu.be/UoI3rRqsGjo

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What's the best solution to playing games via Air Link in a separate room from your PC that want a gamepad instead of the Oculus controllers? Give up and just play it wired at the PC? I was hoping the headset would, I dunno, magically detect my DS4 or something.

Virtual Desktop passes a connected gamepad through to the PC.

Two caveats:
1) I’m not sure if this works with a DS4 (I’m using an Xbone controller)
2) None of the Luke Ross mods (RDR2, GTA, etc) work with Virtual Desktop and they all require a gamepad

You can also do some janky poo poo like pair your controller to your phone and connect to the pc over moonlight or whatever. Would probably work decently enough if the phone is on 2.4ghz with the bitrate turned way down and the Quest is on 5ghz.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I just connect the controller wirelessly directly to the PC? Without connecting through VD. That way there's less controller latency because it doesn't have to go over a network first.

Is it too far away to use connected normally (wirelessly)? My PS4 controller has a better radio than my Xbox one controllers so that might be a factor

I just connect VD, open big picture with controller, play with controller

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Has anyone played Gadgeteer, and wouldn't mind sharing their opinion on it? The price seems fair.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got it in that bundle. It's pretty fun if you are looking for a physics game.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:madmax:

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Nuts and Gum posted:

I haven’t played s&s in a long time, but I disagree about it being a bad game. The levels are copy paste, as are the objectives, but it doesn’t matter! They nailed the handling of weapons, inventory management and moment to moment looting while trying to be quiet. For me those essential interactions mean way more than an interesting narrative.

Maybe I’m biased because the second walking dead vr title was such a 180 in nearly every category it made me love s&s more.

For me all of the above is true - zombie combat was absolutely fantastic (though I didn't enjoy when they introduced humans you had to kill, it was kind of harrowing and the game wasn't interested in offering you much in the way of non-lethal options), the exploration was good - there was a nice mix of stealth and suspense to it.

But I still ended up not really liking the game on the whole because of the frame around it. It got so repetitive so fast, the roguelite structure just killed my desire to keep going so quickly that I never ended up finishing it. That plus gating a bunch of progression objects behind areas that I couldn't work out a way into without starting an all-out war with human people that otherwise were just leaving me alone, which bugged me a little.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's not a perfect game and some of it's flaws may grate on people, but I feel it's the closest VR has gotten to doing a System Shock and it stands out for that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dying for new news on Hitman VR. I always bounced off the series while seeing the appeal with a little effort on my part - had 1 already, bought 2 and 3 on sale in prep for VR. Spent 3 hours last night just loving around in Sapienza and.... oh my gosh. I cannot wait to explore these levels in VR. Trying not to play anymore to ruin the surprises, I want to learn these levels in first person.

There's almost no way it's not going to be my favourite VR game at this point.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I got an Oculus 2 last week as a gift. It worked fine at first, but it doesn't seem to be able to retain a charge? I plug the USB-C cable in, the power light turns red to indicate it senses it, but my battery stays at critical low levels no matter how long I leave it charging. Has anyone ever had an issue like this?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If I got Onward and I like that kind of thing, does Contractors offer anything it doesn't? And is it crossbuy?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Megasabin posted:

I got an Oculus 2 last week as a gift. It worked fine at first, but it doesn't seem to be able to retain a charge? I plug the USB-C cable in, the power light turns red to indicate it senses it, but my battery stays at critical low levels no matter how long I leave it charging. Has anyone ever had an issue like this?

Are you charging it on the wall plug it came with or on your pc?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I thought even if you were at zero battery the charging light was orange. I know it's red to show low battery or dead, but I could swear it was orange if you plug it in and doesn't stay red. I could be mistaken but there's probably just something wrong with your unit... there's not much int he way of diagnostics for these

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are you charging it on the wall plug it came with or on your pc?

Very important to know.

PC USB charging is really slow for just about everything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

It's not a perfect game and some of it's flaws may grate on people, but I feel it's the closest VR has gotten to doing a System Shock and it stands out for that.
Yeah I kind of feel like these posts are coming from five years in the future when we have a dozen of games of Alyx calibre. As "complete" games built from the ground up for VR and more than a few hours long go, the field isn't really that crowded yet

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Picked up Steel Crew yesterday, jumped in just to check it out and 2 hours went by instantly.. spent some time single-manning a tank switching between commander/gunner/driver to figure out how motion controls worked then started crewing with people on the server.. my driver seemed to know where to go and how to position and I played gunner most of it, jumping to commander to look around and use the scope to find more targets. It was immediately engaging though, and while it's pretty early access-y the core concepts are solid and there's already fun gameplay to be had. Recommended

https://store.steampowered.com/app/905970/Steel_Crew/

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Seems like the Oculus really just didn't like that charging cable. Weird.

Are there any free or cheap apps/games that are good/impressive to show off VR to other people? RE4 is the only game I own currently and There's friends I'd rather not just pop into that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How was the matchmaking? That’s always my issue with VR games is that either everyone is playing them or no one is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Are there any free or cheap apps/games that are good/impressive to show off VR to other people? RE4 is the only game I own currently and There's friends I'd rather not just pop into that.

Ultrawings is $9.99 I believe and is lots of fun for newbies. It’s pilotwings in VR.

Free? Pokerstars is mechanically impressive, but will be lost on people who aren’t into poker. Rec room and echo VR are free but the lobbies will be filled with screaming kids and neither game is so intuitive that you can play it with no instruction.

Beatsaber isn’t free but everyone gets it and most everyone likes it.

Tetris effect is another one that everyone knows how to play and is immediately impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Megasabin posted:

If you have a PC then Get Lost in Nature with Luke is one that boomers loving love. And most people tbh it's a good demo for VR that isn't doesn't involve going on a magic technicolor roller coaster