Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tehinternet posted:

$100k by the end of the year

Just in tether has added more days to the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mooseontheloose posted:

It’s the 25th month of 2020

No relief is in sight

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tehinternet posted:

It’s the 25th month of 2020

No relief is in sight

* rocking back and forth over a bit coin*

100k by the end of the year....then you'll see...bitcoin fixes the calendar system...we're free of centralization of time.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The term 'web3' is a grift in and of itself if referring to blockchain related junk-tech with no practical use-case other than scamming people or selling drugs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mooseontheloose posted:

They never said which year.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Koburn posted:

https://twitter.com/davepage_mcr/status/1479790066427965445

edit: oops, didn't realize the original tweet was from early Dec, may have been posted already.

May be time to cancel my regular donation.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

bustin keaton posted:

Eh, I get you but it could be possible for APIs to be deployed as part of some all new web paradigm. But on the broader point, yeah agree it's pretty shocking how piss poor Web 3.0 actually is in practice. Not even approaching anywhere near their own aims.

The point is "Web3" is actually powered by Web2 style APIs run by a few central parties because interacting directly with the blockchain is highly impractical. Actually running the blockchain on client devices (as the "decentralized" marketing might lead you to believe) is often impossible.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone just contacted me through my artstation account wanting to make Totoro nfts with randomised fur colour, facial expressions, hats etc.
200 artwork layers in a week, 7 days to do it. Lol

Also wants "unlimited revisions" whatever the gently caress that means

Sure I'll help you rip off a copyrighted character for your scam dude
Nevermind that the 3d catbus artwork that led you to me took over a week on its own

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I love how they undervalue art and overvalue receipts for art.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Art is just some pictures I can right click on

NFTs are pictures you can't right click on or I'll tell at you

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

Someone just contacted me through my artstation account wanting to make Totoro nfts with randomised fur colour, facial expressions, hats etc.
200 artwork layers in a week, 7 days to do it. Lol

Also wants "unlimited revisions" whatever the gently caress that means

Sure I'll help you rip off a copyrighted character for your scam dude
Nevermind that the 3d catbus artwork that led you to me took over a week on its own

I do not know enough about the art-making process to know how unreasonable "200 artwork layers in a week" is, but from context, I assume it's rather absurd.

From what I do know about the art-making process, "unlimited revisions" means that they want to be able to go "I do not like this aspect, please change it in this manner" as many times as they want (most artists limit that to make sure you aren't constantly fiddling with it, at some point you have to make up your drat mind).

Did they give you a quote, or were they waiting for your response before negotiating? Or did they just do the "for exposure" poo poo up front?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MechaCrash posted:

I do not know enough about the art-making process to know how unreasonable "200 artwork layers in a week" is, but from context, I assume it's rather absurd.

From what I do know about the art-making process, "unlimited revisions" means that they want to be able to go "I do not like this aspect, please change it in this manner" as many times as they want (most artists limit that to make sure you aren't constantly fiddling with it, at some point you have to make up your drat mind).

Did they give you a quote, or were they waiting for your response before negotiating? Or did they just do the "for exposure" poo poo up front?

He was a bit sparse on the details, I assume if I had agreed to do the job more details and price would have been forthcoming but that isn't necessarily true either. The company I work for took on an nft artwork job last year in a quiet patch and these people operate entirely on building hype and creating the impression of rarity. They engage the artist/studio with no plan or creative direction and then make it up as they go along and constantly add and change things based on a whim or vibes they get from their socials or discords. This is nightmare client behaviour from the point of view of an artist or studio.

200 unique layers in a week is probably ok for bored ape level Photoshop sketches but my whole artstation is 3d sculptures and realistic stuff which takes a lot longer, he probably did a keyword search on artstation and contacted every artist with any Ghibli related content without really looking at their portfolio or style or skills

Unlimited revisions means the artist will be getting notes in a month's time to change things and not paid cos it was in the initial price. No artist would it should agree to that, if the scope of work changes it should be quoted separately

It's common for them to offer to pay you in ETH or in the nfts of your artwork once they've been created also lol

I probably should have seen what kind of money was on offer but I'm too busy to bother and nft people gross me out

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Mercury_Storm posted:

The term 'web3' is a grift in and of itself if referring to blockchain related junk-tech with no practical use-case other than scamming people or selling drugs.

Web 1 still the best web

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Exhaustive detailed thread on why dude from band has super wrong ideas about NFTs

https://twitter.com/xavierck3d/status/1480259615174455298

Like I get that people WANT this kind of thing to be true but putting even 30 seconds thought into it even before this thread you should be able to realize it is absolutely not possible.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Futanari Damacy posted:

Web 1 still the best web

I dunno, I still hold some nostalgia for web .5 "the BBSening."

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1480255444513955841

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

priznat posted:

Exhaustive detailed thread on why dude from band has super wrong ideas about NFTs

Like I get that people WANT this kind of thing to be true but putting even 30 seconds thought into it even before this thread you should be able to realize it is absolutely not possible.

I don’t know, I watched a documentary called Ready Player One and it worked fine there, just do that

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I don’t know, I watched a documentary called Ready Player One and it worked fine there, just do that

Lol. I could see this getting turned into some publishers supporting some dumb 64x64 icon bitmap that you can “own” and carry from game to game and have as your twitter icon or something like that and even then it would be a stretch. And would probably break so it would just show the “missing picture” default after 8 months when some exchange folds or whatever.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jose Valasquez posted:

"Bad news team, Epic just released 30 new player skins with their new Fortnite battlepass. You know what that means, we're going to have to put in some overtime to implement those skins in our game. I know, we're already behind on our new release, but you know the rules. People paid for those skins and they have to be portable."

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I mean for fucks same drugs are so loving stupid

Legalize them all

Make quality programs for the people who stumble onto the drug that makes them an addict

Congrats, you just won the war on drugs

… we need the blockchain for this

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

priznat posted:

Lol. I could see this getting turned into some publishers supporting some dumb 64x64 icon bitmap that you can “own” and carry from game to game and have as your twitter icon or something like that and even then it would be a stretch. And would probably break so it would just show the “missing picture” default after 8 months when some exchange folds or whatever.
Yeah, that tweet is a big list of reasons why it shouldn't be done, no one reason why it can't be done. Someone is going to do an NFT skin proof of concept that gets you a very specific avatar in some pie in the sky crypto game and also entitles you to a specific Halo RGB shade as the least possible work to integrate and its going to suck and still manage to launder millions of dollars.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

priznat posted:

He's right for the approach he describes, but I think he's also overthinking it and that the NFTbros are expecting that the NFT will just be some file and all these different games and websites will just take that file and magically Make It Work somehow, no artists or lawyers or anything involved.

Which, if you actually try to approach it that way, means some kind of common 'skin' standard that everyone has to adhere to and is limited by and now we're back to what moxie was talking about with being bound by nigh-unchangeable decentralized standards.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

One additional thing not explicitly stated in that thread: the model in question needs to be identical in each game down to the number and arrangement of polygons, even if it sticks out like a sore thumb next to everything else in the game, because if you gently caress with it at all then the texture mapping will break and your beanie will have stretchy sideways fabric textures and the logo on the front will be smeared somewhere around the back, and that's an absolute best case scenario.

Until someone works out a very, VERY different method of constructing videogames at their absolute core, it is literally 100% impossible to just automate the problem away.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's got all the same energy of a kid back in the day trying to swap out a save card in the middle of a game to try and get Mario into NBA Jam.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Honestly the only use case I can think of for NFTs is the one that no producer actually wants, and that’s giving users a way to sell used copies of licenses for games, music, etc. It would actually be very cool if you could sell a steam game when you were done with it as easily as a physical copy, but absolutely no game company would want to engage with that and lose sales to the secondary market.

I wonder if there is a use case for something like high end CAD software licenses which I believe actually ARE transferable, but I doubt any company would rather do a blockchain lookup for their license check rather than just having the product phone home to their own servers.

In any case, the only use cases I can think of are the ones where the NFTs would be divorced from any potential speculation, which of course completely ruins their use for 99% of the crypto community.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

It's got all the same energy of a kid back in the day trying to swap out a save card in the middle of a game to try and get Mario into NBA Jam.

It’s honestly kind of funny in a naïve way, like they really think that Epic and all these companies that have actual millions in revenue are going to give a poo poo about their little scam idea.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Has bitcoin gone to the moon yet? Ghosttitty or saltyshakeup should come weigh in with some stupid charts.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
guys, guys, guys, why can't you just UNDERSTAND? Computers are totally magical devices that no one really understands, so Blockchain and Bitcoin and En Effing Tees will save the world!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

One additional thing not explicitly stated in that thread: the model in question needs to be identical in each game down to the number and arrangement of polygons, even if it sticks out like a sore thumb next to everything else in the game, because if you gently caress with it at all then the texture mapping will break and your beanie will have stretchy sideways fabric textures and the logo on the front will be smeared somewhere around the back, and that's an absolute best case scenario.

Until someone works out a very, VERY different method of constructing videogames at their absolute core, it is literally 100% impossible to just automate the problem away.

lol, just make sure that every video game ever created in the last three decades uses the default Maya .fbx file. i'm totally almost 100 percent certain that's super easy to implement.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
https://mobile.twitter.com/davetroy/status/1478017698676228099
:tinfoil:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
shitcoin

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Have a family member who has gone deep into Bitcoin the last few months, is it a common thing now that they are trying to portray the amount of energy used as actually being a good thing and a feature?

This has some big quotes from him trying to evangelise Bitcoin to other family members, so feel free to skip past this post if you're not interested in these looks into the mind of Bitcoiner.

Opening post:

quote:

Money is a tool that allows us to convert one energy to another. Bitcoin is energy converted into electricity, converted into digital hash, converted into money. Bitcoin is energy money, the amount of energy that can be stored in Bitcoin is unlimited.
This is another fundamental difference between Bitcoin and crypto. No other crypto is energy money. So if I’m going to save my time and energy in a form of money I’m gonna choose Bitcoin.
On a side note, current price is $57,000 down from $90,000. Buy the dip.

Response to questions about how exactly it stores energy and why it's different to other crypto:

quote:

It’s so hard to explain this without writing a huge amount so I apologise but you’re gonna have to read more of my lovely writing.
There’s more reasons as that it just takes energy to produce Bitcoin but an unlimited amount of energy can go into producing Bitcoin as it has a difficulty adjustment written into the code so the more hash rate that goes into it the harder it gets to create a Bitcoin. It’s also infinitely divisible so the amount of energy that Bitcoin can hold is infinite.
I don’t think other cryptos can achieve this is because of network effects, protocol design and issuance. Every other crypto that exists had a large amount of the supply issued before the blockchain launched. Ethereum for example has a current supply of 119 million but issued around 70 million of that supply before the blockchain launched. Bitcoin started at 0 and every coin that was mined took energy to create. Other cryptos also use proof of stake to secure the blockchain which is different to bitcoins proof of work as it doesn’t take energy to do so. Proof of stake effectively works by locking up your coins and you receive rewards by validating transactions by putting your money on the line. Similar to keeping dollars in a bank and earning interest in them. I don’t like this system as most of the issuance goes to the people that have the most money purely because they have the most money. Where as proof of work there is competition and expenses to maintaining the amount of Bitcoin you are going to mine. As there are costs to mining Bitcoin the supply gets distributed a lot more then it does in proof of stake. I basically see any proof of stake crypto and all basically all cryptos structured the same way as pyramid schemes. This is why I will not support them.
I can see why you would correlate Bitcoiners as religious because people like myself are very passionate about it and believe that it’s such an important invention. Like I barely post on this lovely website but then just randomly start “spreading the good word of Bitcoin”. There is just so much misinformation around crypto that I feel like I’m doing something genuinely good by articulating to the people around me on what this technology is actually capable of doing. Cults tend to have leaders and a hierarchy, Bitcoin has no leaders and no hierarchy. It’s a network of people, I joined that network, anyone can join and I think eventually everyone will join that network and no one has more of a say then anyone else in this network.

Response to question of how exactly he thinks it stores energy:

quote:

For it to make sense you have to see money as an energy system. So you spend your mental and physical energy working for people who pay you money. Money allows you to save that energy and trade it for different forms of energy. Like food or electricity for heating. Bitcoin has a supply cap so the monetary energy you store in it can’t be debased. Yes it is currently very volatile so the amount of monetary energy it stores isn’t stable but in the long term it trends upwards and the way it’s designed it can hold an unlimited amount of monetary energy. For a currency to be able to hold energy it has to have a lot of mutual trust, I don’t trust governments or anyone to be able to keep energy in a currency. This is why I use Bitcoin, there no counter party risk.
Here’s a good example of how Bitcoin can store energy. Let’s say you find a brilliant geothermal energy source and it would be able to produce huge amounts of electricity. Now, problem is there is no industry close enough that will buy and use that electricity. Now with Bitcoin you can start harnessing that energy and turn it into money. Bitcoin effectively stores that energy into monetary energy which then allows you to transfer that energy into a different form of energy.

quote:

Thanks for commenting I really do appreciate it.
I think the energy FUD is the most common one that people can’t get around. People think it’s a waste but the thing is that energy is basically unlimited. And we can turn many different sources of energy into electricity. And when you think about how much electricity has improved our quality of living and advanced technology, I think it’s something we should be trying to produce as much of as possible. Preferably without emitting heaps of pollution.
I agree with your issue with rampant wealth generation, I guess I believe Bitcoin is a money that allows us to preserve our wealth in a money without having to buy assets or shares etc.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

quote:

I think it’s something we should be trying to produce as much of as possible. Preferably without emitting heaps of pollution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbfmOYECCug

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Senor Tron posted:

Have a family member who has gone deep into Bitcoin the last few months, is it a common thing now that they are trying to portray the amount of energy used as actually being a good thing and a feature?

This has some big quotes from him trying to evangelise Bitcoin to other family members, so feel free to skip past this post if you're not interested in these looks into the mind of Bitcoiner.

Opening post:

Response to questions about how exactly it stores energy and why it's different to other crypto:

I haven't seen the idea that crypto mining is useful because there's no alternative for deriving value from a convenient power source, but I have seen the argument that crypto mining's excessive energy consumption will lead to the expansion of green energy production, and there's some overlap there. They're both pretty ridiculous.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

looks into the mind of Bitcoiner.

Even worse than expected tbh

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Prurient Squid posted:

I was curious so I looked it up.

What's really wild about this list is that Mercola has been doing his quack poo poo for years and years and years. He uses the same tactics he always has (spinning up shell organizations to throw out every possible variation of the quack science then abandoning the ones that the algorithm doesn't help take root) and isn't even slightly subtle about it.

The fact that he and his various shell organizations aren't "permaban on sight" is a damning indictment of social media.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
energy storage has come up before. its stupid as gently caress. also you can eat or burn physical money.

butttech is a black hole, and money and energy is just burnt sending it over the event horizon.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Senor Tron posted:

Opening post:

First your family member is already wrong because the ATH of bitcoin was $67K. Also how incredibly annoying for him to put that in there.

And none of the major cryptocurrencies use proof of stake, so he is also misinformed on that part.

But yes, lots of people are trying to refer to it as "energy storage" even though that makes absolutely no sense. Bitcoin has no way to either store energy or reproduce the output of stored energy at a later time.

We should not tie the harm of bitcoin to just its energy consumption. The energy consumption is bad, yes, but that is not the sole reason that Bitcoin is dumb. This whole energy storage narrative is the result of bitcoin enthusiasts trying to worm their way around the issue that Bitcoin mining and verification consumes a large amount of energy that in the end is extremely wasteful (since even a large portion of the work in Bitcoin is thrown away once the next Bitcoin has been mined since everyone else basically has to start over with the new Bitcoin as the source of its hashing.)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
99.99999 percent of the energy used for Bitcoin mining is converted into pure heat. (It might as well be 100% but I think a tiny fraction is output as reduced entropy) This energy is not stored in the coins, it is just wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ymgve posted:

99.99999 percent of the energy used for Bitcoin mining is converted into pure heat. (It might as well be 100% but I think a tiny fraction is output as reduced entropy)

You’d be wrong