Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ordinary Cynic
Apr 3, 2007
Nothing suprises me...
They brought the show back for this? Seriously?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Surprised at all the negative reactions, I thought this was better than any of the actual seasons of dexter. Though tbf my expectations going in were incredibly low, and I thought they were going to try to milk it for multiple seasons so I was pleasantly surprised with how fast it moved.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed it. Not without holes. I didn’t think they’d actually loving do it though.

Diabolik900 posted:

Totally meaningless, non-spoilery observation that I laughed at, but probably happens all the time and I just never noticed it: this episode features at least two shots where cars have to swerve over the yellow line to avoid hitting the camera crew.

I was wondering why Harrison was driving all over there at the end.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It was better than it had any right to be.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Harrison would have been a hero who could have sold the book and movie rights to his and Dexter's life stories for millions of dollars. Instead Angela gives him $50 and kicks him out of town and steals his credit for taking down two of the most prolific serial killers in history in one night.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I think we can all agree that Jennifer Carpenter was the MVP of this season.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Slamhound posted:

I think we can all agree that Jennifer Carpenter was the MVP of this season.

what no it was Harrison

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

quote:

Season 5 (2):
-Rankin: First actual innocent killed on purpose in an non mercy killing by Dexter. Rankin insults him before gooing in the bathroom of a small store.
I know it's a typo but I think I have a new phrase to describe masturbation.

Out of that whole list, only 1 of them actually stands out as "probably didn't deserve it while also directly caused by Dexter" and that's the first one of Season 5 which is a great way to kick off the worst half of the series. The rest, well, what can I say? Don't pull a loving knife on someone if you don't mind getting your throat slit and belly stabbed during the altercation you've invited.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 10, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Recapping highlights of the season:

- girl who got shot in the face almost revealing her tits

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

codo27 posted:

Recapping highlights of the season:

- girl who got shot in the face almost revealing her tits
This is the second time someone's mentioned that she "almost showed tits" but... she revealed her tits in the episode I got. Are there, uhh, two separate versions of that take and a more censored version was sent out to different distributors?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The anchor scene really stuck with me as morally way too far, and also just loving weird and was officially when I realised the show was bad now. (I only watched up to the Colin Hanks Fight Club season though, thankfully dropped off well before lumberjacks or this and I'm very happy with this decision.)

Sounds like the new ending was a reasonable plot point, but they just did a terrible job of setting any of it up despite having 10 hours to do so.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DaveKap posted:

This is the second time someone's mentioned that she "almost showed tits" but... she revealed her tits in the episode I got. Are there, uhh, two separate versions of that take and a more censored version was sent out to different distributors?

Gonna be pissed if thats true

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Half expected Blizzard Laura to engulf the area and make the forest walking much more treacherous. Then remembered Scott Buck wasn’t in charge of this one.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

harrison is actually more evil than dexter and his character sucks (bad acting) although i didn't realise this until the last 5 minutes....enjoy the spinoff clyde philips...won't be watching

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Right at the start of the episode: "have you made any enemies recently?" "Someone poured fuel all over your roof, who could it be?"

Gee, I don't know Angela, maybe it was from when Dexter caught Kurt, the owner of a truckstop, trying to kill the podcaster lady, told you about it and then both of you went to his kill shack?

God drat, Angela is just the worst loving cop.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

DaveKap posted:

I saw the boobs too. To verify we're not crazy, one must ask the official authority on the subject of boobs in TV shows, Mr. Skin: :nws: https://www.mrskin.com/dexter-new-blood-nude-scenes-t67332

yep we're not crazy. she shows her tits to the security cam in that room and we see them bare

Showtime isn't the type to censor brief boobage so yeah, no idea what's going on here

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

escape artist posted:

Series redeemed.

This. This episode finally gave me what I wanted all along. And it's finally over.

Show bad, finale good. No more Dexter. I'm happy.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Regy Rusty posted:

This. This episode finally gave me what I wanted all along. And it's finally over.

Show bad, finale good. No more Dexter. I'm happy.

Come on. You know Harrison is going to have a show with Dexter as the new ghost dad.

The ratings and response to this cinched it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Come on. You know Harrison is going to have a show with Dexter as the new ghost dad.

The ratings and response to this cinched it.

Yeah but I don't have to watch it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hall gave an interview to the LA Times about the finale. He sounds pretty exhausted with the character, and came off glad Dexter is dead, so people will maybe dial down their fandom about it.

Another interview I read with the director mentioned he hasn't ruled out a spin-off series.

Harrison: Bloodlines probably coming down the line.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He sounds pretty exhausted with the character
As are we all.

Edit: The interview (I think) - https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-01-08/dexter-new-blood-michael-c-hall-finale

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The happiest part of this ending is that Harrison appears to have broken the cycle and realized that no he doesn't actually have to murder people once a week, he can find a healthy coping mechanism. A spinoff would absolutely retroactive ruin that, so look out for that in maybe three years' time.

Caros posted:

The most frustrating thing is I put that together in like... 30 minutes.

I do not understand how something like this gets all the way to production with such glaring holes that are so easily fixed. Mine is far from the only solution, but it is so easy to fix the biggest glaring holes in the central plot thread without changing more than a handful of scenes.

Either they didn't do a second draft or someone didn't want to kill their darlings.

I don't think it's so much that they didn't bother as they just aren't very good writers and coherent stories just aren't all that important.

One of my guilty pleasures is BBC's Sherlock, which is honestly about on par with Dexter in terms of mystery and dramatic writing, and works entirely because Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are just so insanely compelling that you get distracted from all but the most egregious of faults.

Who is really going to care that this season made zero loving sense? All the main actors were good and sold their stupid lines. We goons who care about narrative consistency are but a small fraction of the viewers, and judging by the snippets shared here, the consensus of the angry internet horde seems to be that the ending was bad not for any of those reasons but because it didn't end on Dexter wriggling his way out of yet another jam effortlessly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So which one of you wrote the Vulture article?

https://www.vulture.com/article/dexter-new-blood-episode-10-sins-of-the-father.html

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The happiest part of this ending is that Harrison appears to have broken the cycle and realized that no he doesn't actually have to murder people once a week, he can find a healthy coping mechanism. A spinoff would absolutely retroactive ruin that, so look out for that in maybe three years' time.

He tried a single therapy session and wasn't immediately cured, so the only other option is serial murder.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Harry and the psychiatrist are Ned Flanders parents

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just have to say again - Angela is the worst loving cop.

If she'd put 1% of the effort she spent with Dexter on hunting her friend's killer, or investigating all those missing girls, or on Kurt after he walked free out of her office, this season would have finished halfway through.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When the episode aired where Kurt said it was his dad, I thought people in this thread were being too hard on Angela for believing the story. Surely, I thought, she didn’t actually buy it and would keep investigating him as the season went on. But no, as far as we can tell, she really didn’t spend any more time investigating Kurt until Dexter told her where the bodies were.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's why Dexter's christmas gift was so perfect. A book on police procedure. Lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just have to say again - Angela is the worst loving cop.

If she'd put 1% of the effort she spent with Dexter on hunting her friend's killer, or investigating all those missing girls, or on Kurt after he walked free out of her office, this season would have finished halfway through.

Honestly the Kurt storyline probably should have been wrapped up by ep 6 or 7. Then you can more reasonably believe that Angela would spend her time looking into Dexter after Kurt drops some breadcrumbs. Or maybe Dexter said or did something odd while helping her investigate Kurt, etc.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's why Dexter's christmas gift was so perfect. A book on police procedure. Lol.

How To Investigate Crimes And Do Other Police Things Good

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
https://i.imgur.com/CTSsacR.mp4

The little wobble is my favourite moment of the series.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, then you wouldn't have Kurt going burning man on Dexter's cabin, which was good times funny.

The finale should have been two hours, so we could have Batista time, maybe bring Masuka along for old times and hitting the local strip club. Also approximately 30 More minutes of Angela looking like a moron to state troopers and feds. Ghost Deb antics in the spirit of the woodchipper would have been a nice touch too.

If there is a Harrison series, Ghost Deb needs to haunt Ghost Dexter when Harrison goes into inner monologue mode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CTSsacR.mp4

The little wobble is my favourite moment of the series.

She's more Deb than Deb in this moment

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The finale should have been two hours, so we could have Batista time, maybe bring Masuka along for old times and hitting the local strip club. Also approximately 30 More minutes of Angela looking like a moron to state troopers and feds. Ghost Deb antics in the spirit of the woodchipper would have been a nice touch too.

In the streaming age, who the gently caress cares if a show runs beyond a certain time slot? Someone has to be the brave one to start and just start making poo poo the length it has to be, not conform to cable standards. I was thinking about it the other night. Imagine a 7 hour movie. Okay, thats not reasonable, but when people regularly sit down to binge for hours, why not go crazy and make something super long?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ehh, showtime does still have running channels, they're not netflix, they have schedules to think about. But I get it, and I usually wait to plow through a season of a show in 1-2 days anyhow.

I just wouldn't mind another hour to catch me up on ancillary cast and draw out the end a little more, especially the embarrassing Angela part. The season cultivated her into a perfectly inept moron and I would love to see fed types eating her lunch.

This is my favorite gif of the season, I think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was disappointed how much the ghost antics got toned down in the back half of the season. There was a woodchipper moment per episode in the front half.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I know it's a typo but I think I have a new phrase to describe masturbation.

Out of that whole list, only 1 of them actually stands out as "probably didn't deserve it while also directly caused by Dexter" and that's the first one of Season 5 which is a great way to kick off the worst half of the series. The rest, well, what can I say? Don't pull a loving knife on someone if you don't mind getting your throat slit and belly stabbed during the altercation you've invited.

Read the bible (no seriously DaveKap breakdown the cinematography of the holy word, please), if someone pulls a knife on you, you turn them cheeks, don't be a fighting bitch about that's how you get denied heaven access. If Dexter wanted to be a good guy he;'d kill himself after his first victim. The only good killings are when two people who would kill for any reason kill each other and remove such people from the world, hopefully leaving the world with marginally more proportion of people who aren't monsters looking for an excuse like serial killers or self defense to do violence.

Seriously you don't at least count Doakes as his fault and you don't fault him for Rita's death either?

And if Dexter is justified in killing serial killers then would not anyone else be justified in killing him back, why does the murder man get a pass? IF from no one else then the friends or family of the victim Dexter kills, even bad guys have loved ones who get to be hurt and angry and want revenge.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Harrison would have been a hero who could have sold the book and movie rights to his and Dexter's life stories for millions of dollars. Instead Angela gives him $50 and kicks him out of town and steals his credit for taking down two of the most prolific serial killers in history in one night.

It would be amusing to see Angela try and figure out where Kurt is or why he did what he did, all the people who know the full story are dead or kicked out of town. I forgot what they even did with Kurt's body after the kill, chuck it in the public utility titanium-safe melter? Also on the bright side for the families who get some closure now, they also probably going to save some money on coroner dolling up corpses.

What does Angela or anyone really know about BHB, like, they'll figure out he was one doing it, but is his wikipedia going to mention blood slides or the code or his abusive adoptive father. How many living people even know about dexter and his bro being in the shipping container.

Which podcaster will be the first to jump on the story about famous crime podcaster killed by person she wasn't even investigating, people would be all over that one. And more I think about it the more Harrison running away seems like it wouldn't even work. People know what he looks like, knows he was involved with both dex/jim and kurt and the wrestling coach cop like dude's so intertwined in all this poo poo when the professional cops show up to yokel lake they're not gonna have to wait for someone else to send them an envelope of evidence with the answer written on it.

Scrotum Modem posted:

I saw the boobs too. To verify we're not crazy, one must ask the official authority on the subject of boobs in TV shows, Mr. Skin: :nws: https://www.mrskin.com/dexter-new-blood-nude-scenes-t67332

lol the website from the jay and silent bob movie wont even show u a clip from somebody else's film they don't own any rights to unless you sign up for their site first. I watch the show on primewire and I think I also saw the boobs.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What is it about the Dexter and 24 era of TV where I remember these one season names like Chicky Hines and Peter Kingsley as though they were people on a daily school register that I knew?

Was it the longer seasons? Or did they just repeat names a lot more so you didn't forget them watching week-to-week?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PostNouveau posted:

I was disappointed how much the ghost antics got toned down in the back half of the season. There was a woodchipper moment per episode in the front half.

Think that was intentional, as he went further and further away from her advice as the season went she appeared less. When he was talking to her in the jail cell you didn't even see her anymore, just him.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

P sure there were boobs.

I enjoyed this season and the finale, while I can agree kinda rushed some points and sequences, it largely did a good job closing the character arcs (plot wise yeah it was a bit sloppy). As a dude that basically checked out in S5 I think, this was real good not exactly know the stupid stuff they were referencing. I liked that it took Harrison the whole season to finally understand what Dexter's letter was about. He always assumed his dad abandoned him for bad reasons, but they were good reasons kinda actually. Too bad it took you seeing your dad being a murder freak to get it.

They got a lot of really great performances out of folks in this which was very nice. This felt like the right amount of dumb to good Dexter quality in one season. I hope they don't come back to this.

I've always considered Dexter more about the ride than the destination (since the destination was always him magically being let off the hook) and this was a fun ride that didn't manage to get to the same station as before.

codo27 posted:

Oh boy. 7/10? Maybe generous.

Using the letter like that was a nice touch. Where'd the cash come from?

They stole it from Kurt when they killed him. They let him empty his safe of valuables first (Dexter already knows he wants to run, need that cash) and it's the same manila envelope we saw Kurt remove it in.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Enjoyable show, much better ending than the lumberjack one.... I made the mistake of checking elsewhere afterward for Internet reactions and seeing the huge circle jerk of hate watching the show, or still hung up on the M99/Ketamine (which I didn't even remember).

Starks posted:

Surprised at all the negative reactions, I thought this was better than any of the actual seasons of dexter. Though tbf my expectations going in were incredibly low, and I thought they were going to try to milk it for multiple seasons so I was pleasantly surprised with how fast it moved.

Yeah, it's nice that it sort of ends on a definitive note of Dexter being dead. I think that was what was so disappointing about the previous finale. Left too much up in the air and just so weird.