Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Illuminti posted:

It's my rebuttal because if a study tells me that 50% of adults suffer prolonged symptoms and 20% of them suffer cognitive impairment and I can simply look around me and see that it is not true then that seems fairly solid to me. I would be surprised if 50% of adults hadn't had a comparable or worse cold or flu in the last 10 years.

Every study of Long covid has included a vast and nebulous range of symptoms. A study of all of these studies is very likely to be the same.

Cognitive impairment and fatigue are also very logical symptoms of dealing with the stress of living through a pandemic for two years. I'm not saying long COVID isn't real, but I think when it comes to mental symptoms, there's probably some overlap between what the disease itself is doing, and what living through a pandemic in general is doing to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

Cognitive impairment and fatigue are also very logical symptoms of dealing with the stress of living through a pandemic for two years. I'm not saying long COVID isn't real, but I think when it comes to mental symptoms, there's probably some overlap between what the disease itself is doing, and what living through a pandemic in general is doing to us.

Depending on definition, "cognitive impairment" isn't really something you'd expect after two years of "normal life but you had the flu one time", you can't really have it both ways here. The overwhelming majority of people are not feeling significant pandemic stress because they are not treating patients in a covid ICU, they're not living in endless Melbourne-style lockdown, not reading these threads, etc. It's normal life with a few different things on the news.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

PT6A posted:

I have literally been complaining to my wife for the last two weeks or so that my concentration is completely shot. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate for anything like the length of time i used to. I have a job that requires sitting on my own, being given a problem/task and working out how to solve it. I used to be able to crank out hours without getting up. Recently I can't do ten minutes.

I haven't have COVID, what I have had is nearly two years working at home on my own, lots of cancelled holidays, a bit to much drinking and to be honest projects I'm really not enjoying. I have the symptoms of long covid though!

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Illuminti posted:

I have literally been complaining to my wife for the last two weeks or so that my concentration is completely shot. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate for anything like the length of time i used to. I have a job that requires sitting on my own, being given a problem/task and working out how to solve it. I used to be able to crank out hours without getting up. Recently I can't do ten minutes.

I haven't have COVID, what I have had is nearly two years working at home on my own, lots of cancelled holidays, a bit to much drinking and to be honest projects I'm really not enjoying. I have the symptoms of long covid though!

Have you had anti-N antibody testing to determine that you never, in fact, had covid?

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

Have you had anti-N antibody testing to determine that you never, in fact, had covid?

Is that something that is readily available? I'm in Melbourne, so to be honest, up until the last few weeks I'm highly unlikely to have been exposed and even now I'm careful about where I go and what I do. I know literally no one that has caught it in Melbourne. A fact I am sure will change in the coming weeks, but so far so good.

I had a PCR in early Dec come back negative.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Illuminti posted:

Is that something that is readily available? I'm in Melbourne, so to be honest, up until the last few weeks I'm highly unlikely to have been exposed and even now I'm careful about where I go and what I do. I know literally no one that has caught it in Melbourne. A fact I am sure will change in the coming weeks, but so far so good.

I had a PCR in early Dec come back negative.

I actually have no idea about Melbourne, it's ubiquitous at the no-prescription-needed medical test places that are everywhere in the US and do stuff like drug tests etc

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

PT6A posted:

It seems like long covid is really vaguely defined. I don't know how you separate out people with persistent symptoms after surviving really severe cases, people who just take more than two weeks for all their symptoms to go away, and people with the weird condition that's correlated to the belief you had covid but not to testing positive. It would sort of make sense if the last of those was something to do with stress.

I mean anecdote but before the pandemic I had physiological symptoms from anxiety and all of it is on the long covid symptom list.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
To me the brain fog and confusion, can't remember how to spell your name, visible on brain scans, etc. is the telltale. That's not stress!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
reminder to nobody in particular that if someone is dropping lovely posts or making bad arguments, please report

reports are being carefully reviewed and mods aren't keeping an eye on stuff 24/7

edit: or PM a mod.

I'm posting this because there have been a ton of posts since I last looked and skimming everything seems basically ok? so carry on

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 10, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I didn't see this get posted

https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1480327258564964356?t=nekIq6pN2upGC7eF-iUBFg&s=19

pretty obvious attempt at damage control, but it would be nice if she would actually detail what those "steps" are, even superficially

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

To me the brain fog and confusion, can't remember how to spell your name, visible on brain scans, etc. is the telltale. That's not stress!

Yeah definitely, but until they stop lumping in things like having a headache, having a cough that lasted 4 weeks and being tired in with those things the studies are borderline useless imho.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to split out prolonged symptoms from chronic, debilitating illness in these studies. With my conspiracy hat(tin) on it almost seems like they have an active interest in making out that long covid is more prevalent and that the serious symptoms are more common than they actually are.

edit: I want to clarify, I don not believe that conspiracy! I'm sure the real reason is far more prosaic

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 10, 2022

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I mean some people are definitely putting out terrible long covid studies that include "allergies in the last six months" and "penis shrinkage" as long covid. Some of them are even put out by like, Facebook long covid support groups. I feel like a lot of the people who normally do this kind of stuff are hellbent on minimizing covid and so the followups have a lot of room for people with other axes to grind. Very political topic and the science is suffering.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Haven't left our apartment since the second week of November, and only the gf went down to the lobby to get mail. We have had no guests. She only leaves the apartment wearing an Envo mask or LG airwasher, we are both triple pfizered and she just tested positive on a rapid test we managed to get a hold of.

Started with a slight cough on Friday and has gone to a sore throat and bad cough with a stuffy nose. No fever, loss of taste/smell, or difficulty breathing. No symptoms yet for me somehow. Maybe not being able to breathe through my mouth and having an N95 filter and an antiviral filter on my ventilator has helped. Fingers crossed since we can't isolate from each other.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Sorry to hear that. I think in apartment settings it's going to spread from unit to unit potentially without you doing anything "wrong" other than living in an apartment. Hallways, vent stacks, etc. Fuckin sucks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wang Commander posted:

https://twitter.com/chactivist/status/1479842601561989127

Distressing to see this from a group in a country where they're not trying to steer the global course of the pandemic through messaging or whatever. Would really like to see a breakdown of the studies they used but a review from a state agency in a country without an agenda like US/China would have seems pretty likely to be the best we're going to get. 20% cognitive impairment is huge!

Here's the site. Here's a direct link to the consensus statement. Google translate was sufficient to tell me that their dataset included large amounts of self-reported survey research, as well as studies with samples that did not have confirmed covid diagnoses. They used delphi method for their long covid definition, which was not explicitly the basis for study inclusion, and there was no actual study screening process; articles were sorted by theme and different elements of the consensus document were included by majority vote. They are not actually sharing anything about the papers the consensus statement was based on. The rest will have to wait for at least the english translation. [side note: god, I loving hate Delphi]

mawarannahr posted:

There’s a logical sequence of events for how it came not to be. Even if it was attempted, I wish it was not something that was promised. I’m disappointed in the government’s response — it makes me feel trapped. I want to see as much public investment in prevention and research as possible. I should have asked a more interesting question about what a large program would look like, but that is what I have in mind, thinking in comparison to what we have today.

You appear to be ignoring the part where the government did what it said, which I've now explained to you twice, with links. The 5,000 contact tracing positions through Americorps were part of the larger funding for 100,00 contact tracers, which is what was requested and what was passed by congress, less 200 billion, and what went through.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 16, 2023

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Illuminti posted:

It's going to be studies that include having a headache and feeling tired 4 weeks after infection as Long Covid.

I mean seriously just look around you. Are there 12 millions Americans with cognitive impairment now? and that's just official numbers.

There is a serious problem with people suffering from actual debilitating long covid, but the numbers getting thrown around are ridiculous.

Please reply to the substance of the linked article and post and include some evidence or support for your claims. Speculating about what the (untranslated) study contains, "look around you" as to what proportion of Americans are suffering from cognitive impairment, and saying the numbers are ridiculous is not helpful without also providing supporting evidence for your counterclaims.

edit: Discendo Vox has pointed out some specific concerns above.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 10, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
ICU occupancy is still charging ahead with no sign of stopping in Ontario:

https://twitter.com/OntHospitalAssn/status/1480525031725797376

Really at this point it becomes a question of when Omicron peaks and how hosed we are before that. Unfortunately, our case counts don't even slightly reflect reality, so even detecting the peak isn't really possible outside of reading tea leaves based on positivity rates of a highly unrepresentative population.

Also for context, this is a decisively "from COVID" stat. Our hospitalization numbers represent everyone in a hospital that tests positive for COVID, ICUs are specifically people being treated for COVID.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/paulxharris/status/1480341925353955331

This sure seems bad.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

According to this Chicago Tribune editorial:

quote:

Just over half of CPS students 12 years and older, and less than 12% of students 5 to 11 years old, are fully vaccinated, CPS says.

Which strikes me as insane, especially in a city as Democratic, and non-white, as Chicago (in other words, these numbers are not likely due to chud parents). The story also says it's not due to lack of ability bc of outreach efforts & vaccination clinics.

Does anyone know the vaccination rate for children in comparably sized cities, such as NYC & L.A.?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Working exactly as the CDC intended when they changed their guidance.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Willa Rogers posted:

Which strikes me as insane, especially in a city as Democratic, and non-white, as Chicago (in other words, these numbers are not likely due to chud parents). The story also says it's not due to lack of ability bc of outreach efforts & vaccination clinics.

Does anyone know the vaccination rate for children in comparably sized cities, such as NYC & L.A.?

Dunno about city specifics, but Ontario is at 45% first dose, 3.5% second dose. The second dose numbers are so low because basically the only way you'd have a second dose is if you gave your kids it prior to the recommended spacing between doses (8 weeks in Ontario). I know you got your 5-11 vaccines before us and also have a shorter recommended spacing period, but it might be worth looking at 1st dose percentages to get an idea of what's actually vaccine hesitancy and what's just 'hasn't happened yet'.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Working exactly as the CDC intended when they changed their guidance.

This isn't a defense of the CDC but Adams or Hocul could also suspend school for a week. Which comes with its own problems but there actions the ctiy/state can take.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

As per the NYS dashboard, the five NYC counties are at 35.7% with at least one dose, 21% fully vaccinated for 5-11.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Willa Rogers posted:

As a parent of two kids in that age range in central Illinois (who were vaccinated the first day I could get them an appointment) I can say that a shitload of parents are still insisting that they don't need to worry about getting their kids the shot because, after all, COVID doesn't impact kids. They've taken that bullshit to heart, and are going to continue parroting it no matter what happens.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Illuminti posted:

It's going to be studies that include having a headache and feeling tired 4 weeks after infection as Long Covid.

While these are, obviously, symptoms that can arise from myriad causes, you seem to be suggesting (correct me if I am wrong) that they are never "real" long covid symptoms?

Long covid appears to have a lot in common with ME/CFS, which has both fatigue and myalgia as symptoms.

If I got COVID and then I was dealing with unreasonable fatigue and headaches as a result months later, yeah, I'd feel like the virus had impaired me.

Have some people simply developed these symptoms from the stress of the experience? That sounds like reasonable conjecture that makes sense to me.

The anecdotal flipside is I know 3 people who still have hosed up taste/smell 8-12 months post COVID (in one case, an early-boosted, early breakthrough case) and one woman with pretty severe neurological problems that she's constantly being MRI'd for (post-wildtype, she's a "curiousity" to Dartmouth hospital) out of the ~30 people I know who have COVID, and a couple of them also reported general malaise persisting for quite a while.

The bottom line is, I think it's very reasonable to assume from the data that some number of people are dealing with headaches and fatigue as the result of a viral or post-viral condition, and suggesting that some or a lot of them may actually just be dealing with pandemic stress seems unhelpful, and, lacking any actual data about the prevalence of "real" long COVID, seems prone to leading to hopeful thinking which may be dangerous.

Willa Rogers posted:

Nope, digging. Our kid got #1 on her 5th bday and #2 21 days later and everyone in my tiny rear end sleepy mountain community seems to be jabbing the gently caress out of our kids because we'd like to let them interact with marginally less anxiety.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lager posted:

As a parent of two kids in that age range in central Illinois (who were vaccinated the first day I could get them an appointment) I can say that a shitload of parents are still insisting that they don't need to worry about getting their kids the shot because, after all, COVID doesn't impact kids. They've taken that bullshit to heart, and are going to continue parroting it no matter what happens.

I mean we've had 700 deaths of people under 18 since the pandemic started, which is about 0.001% of kids and about a 1% increase in deaths for that age group. That makes it easy for parents to pretend there’s no risk and probably not suffer on a personal level.

Kids are obviously spreading the hell out of it (I probably got it from a child myself) so we shouldn’t really take that much solace that they aren’t dying of it. Really, when the country refused to go back into a spring ’20 style lockdown for Omicron basically nothing was going to keep it from exploding. Christ’s sake they are still selling out sporting events. The administration has barely tried, but neither has anybody else. We are all on our own now.

The “bright side” is that everybody who catches Covid this month and does okay should have some solid protection for a while, especially if they were previous vaccinated/boosted. I have been a little spooked by symptoms a couple of times this week but I should have basically total immunity until the next variant rolls around.

Technically outside the CDC guidelines right now, but I'm not going back to work until Thursday (latest I can without it being a "thing").

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

This isn't a defense of the CDC but Adams or Hocul could also suspend school for a week. Which comes with its own problems but there actions the ctiy/state can take.

This is what I find ridiculous.

The Dems are in control in the country and several local areas.

The solve for this omicron rise is simple:

* at the very least a temporary lockdown
* mask mandates
* give people money to ensure they don’t need to go to work to live
* at the very least temporary remote learning
* vaccine mandates

Not doing the above indicates Dems, not just republicans, are complicit it in the cases and hospitalizations rising.

What happened to “flatten the curve”?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is what I find ridiculous.

The Dems are in control in the country and several local areas.

The solve for this omicron rise is simple:

* at the very least a temporary lockdown
* mask mandates
* give people money to ensure they don’t need to go to work to live
* at the very least temporary remote learning
* vaccine mandates

Not doing the above indicates Dems, not just republicans, are complicit it in the cases and hospitalizations rising.

What happened to “flatten the curve”?

None of these things are possible and "open schools" is probably the policy in the US with the strongest bipartisan report right now. Every single one of these policies is off the table and I suspect most of them wouldn't hold up to this SCOTUS

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

None of these things are possible and "open schools" is probably the policy in the US with the strongest bipartisan report right now. Every single one of these policies is off the table and I suspect most of them wouldn't hold up to this SCOTUS

Did we do all these things in 2020 (minus specifically covid vaccine mandates) when republicans controls the legislative and executive branches?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Did we do all these things in 2020 when republicans controls the legislative and executive branches?

We did for literally four weeks and then the nation collectively decided they would never, ever, ever do it again.

Which was probably a bad decision, but it was made very emphatically.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

We did for literally four weeks and then the nation collectively decided they would never, ever, ever do it again.

Which was probably a bad decision, but it was made very emphatically.

If only there was someone in a leadership position who was elected for their negotiation expertise, understanding of the science, and was supposed to be the adult in the room.

Guess America is stuck with the same efforts as the previous administration.

In all seriousness I’m sure more people would be onboard if they were just given loving money.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If only there was someone in a leadership position who was elected for their negotiation expertise, understanding of the science, and was supposed to be the adult in the room.

There is literally not a single person in the entire universe who could've been elected President of the United States that would've resulted in us being under lockdown right now, sorry.

e: Well I guess I can't say for sure there aren't superpowered beings on other planets who could've forced their will upon all of us, so then your questions become do they exist, would they have cared if we survived, and can you really call them a "person"?

e2: Plus you would need a constitutional amendment to elect them!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 10, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Guess American leaders and its people are just happy to ensure as many adults and children as possible are harmed so they can get their daily treats.

In reality I still think Americans would be much more receptive if the discussion of lockdown came with “and we’ll pay your bills for you.”

I’m still amazed that the CDC is speaking out both sides by saying you can not back to work if you are asymptomatic but don’t you loving dare enter the country without a negative PCR test.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

There is zero consistency or logic with the CDC under the Biden admin.

vvvvv it’s not clearly laid out in the US and is up to the whims of the illegitimate Supreme Court. However that doesn’t stop local areas under Dem leadership like NYC from doing what is right to cull Omicron and protect kids.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 10, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Honest US government question. Isn't there a notion of jurisdiction between the states and the federal government? Here in Canada, the federal government literally can't close schools, or instruct provinces to close schools or institute a mask mandate without invoking the Emergencies Act (which has a bit of a checkered history and is considered a pretty nuclear option).

Which of the things on that list are "the federal government can do this directly" and which are "the federal government can say 'gosh, it sure would be a good idea if you could do this states'"?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enki42 posted:

Honest US government question. Isn't there a notion of jurisdiction between the states and the federal government? Here in Canada, the federal government literally can't close schools, or instruct provinces to close schools or institute a mask mandate without invoking the Emergencies Act (which has a bit of a checkered history and is considered a pretty nuclear option).

Which of the things on that list are "the federal government can do this directly" and which are "the federal government can say 'gosh, it sure would be a good idea if you could do this states'"?

* at the very least a temporary lockdown - states/localities only
* mask mandates - states/localities only
* give people money to ensure they don’t need to go to work to live - federal government can do directly (requires legislation)
------(also states can't really do this because most of them [state] constitutionally require balanced budgets)
* at the very least temporary remote learning - states/localities only
* vaccine mandates - federal government can do directly (subject to court reviews)

e: Short answer, the federal government controls the money and has some limited public health powers, the states can actually tell you what to do/what not to do

The federal government could also be doing more (by threatening funding channels) to coerce states into things like mask mandates/closing schools (this is basically how the federal government mandates, for instance, a drinking age), but appears to consider it to be political suicide

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 10, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

vvvvv it’s not clearly laid out in the US and is up to the whims of the illegitimate Supreme Court. However that doesn’t stop local areas under Dem leadership like NYC from doing what is right to cull Omicron and protect kids.

I live near a major metro area and the one hard part is shutting down a New York, Philly, Boston, Miami, ect. is that you are forcing child care on a lot of people who might not have the ability to find child care and need to go to work. There are real costs to people in shutting down your city unilaterally without some clue on what you are going to do for the people who will be disrupted by that decision.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
in australia you get a payment to stay home instead of working. that requires you to test as positive. guess how many people are clamouring to tested? if you provide the means and incentive, it can happen. pay people to change their behaviour and they will.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

^^^^^ exactly

Mooseontheloose posted:

I live near a major metro area and the one hard part is shutting down a New York, Philly, Boston, Miami, ect. is that you are forcing child care on a lot of people who might not have the ability to find child care and need to go to work. There are real costs to people in shutting down your city unilaterally without some clue on what you are going to do for the people who will be disrupted by that decision.

Oh absolutely. I suspect a lot of the angst against lockdowns is the lack of funds to support folks lives. This is why lockdowns without the government paying for bills is doomed to fail. The Biden admin with the democrat majority could easily push something through to incentivize the states to lockdown and issue mandates.

The fact that they won’t is enough to prove they are either incompetent or straight up ghouls. As candidate Biden said

https://youtu.be/IauHea4H0L0

Edit: this includes the President, house, senate, and local leaders.

Mellow Seas posted:

The federal government could also be doing more (by threatening funding channels) to coerce states into things like mask mandates/closing schools (this is basically how the federal government mandates, for instance, a drinking age), but appears to consider it to be political suicide

It’s a good thing every seat in the house and senate are safe for Dems and not already going to make 2010 look like a good year for Dems. Best for them to continue to do nothing.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 10, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If New York City tried to enact as complete and full a shutdown as humanly possible right now today, it wouldn't make a drat lick of difference. People are free to continue to demand shutdowns on the internet, but unless another variant comes along and changes the equation they simply are not going to happen ever again. Americans are done with them, most people around the world are done with them.

Per usual, I would encourage folks to get their shots, wear their masks, take care of themselves and their loved ones as best they can, and let go of the things they can't control. It's an important step in staying resilient through very troubling times.