Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

id give this a watch

mystes
May 31, 2006

When you think about it, now would be a great time to make another Mask movie.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/thunderbear420/status/1480201826876248066

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobertPicardo/status/1480311272486752261?s=20

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
new ghostbusters was fine

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Chris Knight posted:

I’m gonna be a huge baby nerd about it but I felt like the treatment of Egon and by extension Harold Ramis was really lovely

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm not going to watch it because whatever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it would be a lot of fun to be in a TV series or movie where they made action figures of you. I would totally buy some.

Like do you think Natalie Portman has a Padmé Amidala (Geonosis Arena outfit with blaster gun) action figure on her shelf next to the Oscar?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

https://twitter.com/gates_mcfadden/status/362952243756027905

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
https://twitter.com/DuganAmanda/status/1480256820669304839

this garmonbozia is making me thirsty

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
crossposting from the tweet thread because the plebs there are unaware of s03e08

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i enjoyed new ghostbusters

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kernel Sanders posted:

crossposting from the tweet thread because the plebs there are unaware of s03e08

I remember. gotta get my wife to watch season 3. we tried on an international flight that had the first 3 eps but the tiny screen plus tiredness and how slow the eps are we just fell asleep

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
someone on YouTube has a bunch of Beggars & Choosers eps, so that's cool. also a ton of ReBoot in French

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've been gradually reading through the books of Earthsea, just finished The Farthest Shore

They're really really good you guys.

Le Guin's afterwords are consistently insightful and thought-provoking too.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

I've been gradually reading through the books of Earthsea, just finished The Farthest Shore

They're really really good you guys.

Le Guin's afterwords are consistently insightful and thought-provoking too.

I absolutely love how she comes back and rethinks aspects of the earlier books in the later ones. Really unique stuff.

Imagine the look of horror on the studio execs faces if they commissioned a big budget series based on the first two books and then read the final ones, especially the last act of the final one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'll be honest, I think the first book would require a lot of work to make a reasonable TV show out of.

There's just so much background information that's really important to understanding the plot, that in the book is revealed as an aside at the moment you need to understand it. You can't do that in a visual medium, so you'd have to write a whole bunch of new scenes to convey that information at appropriate points, and with enough repetition that the audience remembers it at the point where it's relevant to the book plot.

Plus (and this one is a challenge with all the books), Le Guin conveys a lot of meaning through telling us how characters think and feel, and how they interpret the things they're seeing rather than just describing the scenes for the audience. It's really tough to translate that into a visual medium in a way that all your viewers will understand. This is especially difficult in the first book, which has a lot of solo adventuring without another character to bounce expository dialogue off.

I guess you could take the route of speaking Sparrowhawk's internal monologue, but that's pretty lazy and doesn't make for compelling viewing.

If I was screenwriting for this I might even be tempted to start with the Tombs of Atuan, and explore the events of the first book as flashbacks in his dehydrated fever-dreams or something.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

I absolutely love how
hell,

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

I'll be honest, I think the first book would require a lot of work to make a reasonable TV show out of.

There's just so much background information that's really important to understanding the plot, that in the book is revealed as an aside at the moment you need to understand it. You can't do that in a visual medium, so you'd have to write a whole bunch of new scenes to convey that information at appropriate points, and with enough repetition that the audience remembers it at the point where it's relevant to the book plot.

Plus (and this one is a challenge with all the books), Le Guin conveys a lot of meaning through telling us how characters think and feel, and how they interpret the things they're seeing rather than just describing the scenes for the audience. It's really tough to translate that into a visual medium in a way that all your viewers will understand. This is especially difficult in the first book, which has a lot of solo adventuring without another character to bounce expository dialogue off.

I guess you could take the route of speaking Sparrowhawk's internal monologue, but that's pretty lazy and doesn't make for compelling viewing.

If I was screenwriting for this I might even be tempted to start with the Tombs of Atuan, and explore the events of the first book as flashbacks in his dehydrated fever-dreams or something.

that's a good insight. i don't really want a tv adaption tbh, i just enjoy the contrast to most media that's out there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(miniseries)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

White guy as the main protagonist. I bet Le Guin hated it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jabor posted:

White guy as the main protagonist. I bet Le Guin hated it.
she had rather a lot to say about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
last night i started a first watch of The Godfather. it's incredibly good but i was falling asleep after an hour, not because it was boring, just because it was so...i dunno. it's great. but it'll be a 2 or 3 night film

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

last night i started a first watch of The Godfather. it's incredibly good but i was falling asleep after an hour, not because it was boring, just because it was so...i dunno. it's great. but it'll be a 2 or 3 night film
it's really great and definitely deserves the praise it gets. and the second is even better

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
saw matrix 4 and that was a boring, a disjointed movie that didn't need to be made and when it WAS made it should have had a better editor to cut it up into something worth watching

shame because matrix 1 had such an impact on me when it first came out, what a wet fart end to a series that should have been a single standalone movie

i don't ever want to see a movie that has endless clips from previous movies again

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

i only first watched it in 2020 and yeah it's paced the way it's paced. no shame in breaking it into digestible pieces. but it's very very good

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the theatrical intermission is whenever your bladder gets full.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bhodi posted:

i don't ever want to see a movie that has endless clips from previous movies again

i dunno i liked that it put in clips from a vastly better movie and im like o yea that movie was sick and this one isn't, thx for reminding me of how good that was and how not good this one is. i actually thought m4 was okay for what it was, but yes i shant ever re-watch it.

the zombie sequence was hilariously bad

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the bodies hitting concrete was pretty gruesome and visceral at least

unfortunately it gave tonal whiplash

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Chris Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1480380685894537218

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are there any writers who are comparable wrt the construction of sentences/paragraphs to Le Guin? her only competition in my mind is Tolkien. her prose glitters like ice

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

honest question do young people listen to podcasts? seems like something you only get into when you have a commute/mindless job

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

indigi posted:

are there any writers who are comparable wrt the construction of sentences/paragraphs to Le Guin? her only competition in my mind is Tolkien. her prose glitters like ice
gene wolfe

jack vance

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

honest question do young people listen to podcasts? seems like something you only get into when you have a commute/mindless job

there are some zoomer-adjacent podcasts but generally no, it's overwhelming a millennial activity. because yes, its what you do when you have to commute to your lovely job and NPR is reactionary garbage that makes you want to swerve your car off the road, or meandering at work, or you're increasingly alienated from being 5-15 years out of college and dont like your coworkers and want some semblance of human connectivity and dont want to use tv for that.

twitch and youtubes are more the thing for zoomers for similar-yet-slightly-different reasons; which are effectively just podcasts but with a (usually lovely) video

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 11, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jabor posted:

Le Guin conveys a lot of meaning through telling us how characters think and feel, and how they interpret the things they're seeing rather than just describing the scenes for the audience. It's really tough to translate that into a visual medium in a way that all your viewers will understand. This is especially difficult in the first book, which has a lot of solo adventuring without another character to bounce expository dialogue off.

the 1980s solved this. you show the character's face concentrating on whatever and add a poo poo ton of reverb to their voice and have them speak whatever theyre thinking about. if you wanna bring out the big guns, superimpose their face over whatever they're looking at with 50% transparency or so

the 1990s also solved this by having sam elliot and/or morgan freeman do narration

i think in 2022 it's time to combine these two powerhouse storytelling techniques

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
fun fact about gene wolfe, he invented the pringles machine you know the machine that extrudes pringles

and the guy who invented the can is buried in one

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

was he cremated first?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

no, baked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

the way she treats her world's and societies as real ones, as social groups that have their own culture beyond just a single example, is really rare.

having read the raven tower it's really obvious she was a massive influence on Ann Leckie as well.