Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What are they even going to do with the license if they get it back? No one's going to work with someone who won a copyright infringement suit, unless this is like the Friday the 13th guy who hates the franchise and actively wants to keep it dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

What are they even going to do with the license if they get it back? No one's going to work with someone who won a copyright infringement suit, unless this is like the Friday the 13th guy who hates the franchise and actively wants to keep it dead.

I think you're strongly underestimating how many comics creators there are out there that would be happy to get a Marvel payday and credit.

Like, you know there's still people working on Superman right now, right?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endless Mike posted:

I think you're strongly underestimating how many comics creators there are out there that would be happy to get a Marvel payday and credit.

Oh right I wasn't thinking about the whole "pay us to keep licensing this property" thing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Blockhouse posted:

Endless Mike is probably right. But if the guys do really want control of the Predator franchise they could easily find partners willing to work with them on new Predator content. I for one would love to see new Predator movies from Full Moon Films and new Predator comics from Zenescope.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Endless Mike is probably right. But if the guys do really want control of the Predator franchise they could easily find partners willing to work with them on new Predator content. I for one would love to see new Predator movies from Full Moon Films and new Predator comics from Zenescope.

Grimm Fairy Tales versus Predator would at least have a hell of a cover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Grimm Fairy Tales versus Predator would at least have a hell of a cover.

Do you want a Predator with boobs?

Because this is how you get Predators with boobs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Rhyno posted:

Did you really think that hadn't happened yet?

edit: Fun fact, the first Aliens vs Predator novel establishes that female Predators are bigger, and stronger than male Predators, and implies that they they basically run Predator society and the males only come back to the homeworld during mating season. And the hunts create a mating order that all the males have agreed on so they don't get into fights and cause a ruckus when they are home.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 10, 2022

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Rhyno posted:

Pred-tit-or

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

edit: Fun fact, the first Aliens vs Predator novel establishes that female Predators are bigger, and stronger than male Predators, and implies that they they basically run Predator society and the males only come back to the homeworld during mating season. And the hunts create a mating order that all the males have agreed on so they don't get into fights and cause a ruckus when they are home.

Isn't that how a lot of real world predator animals work?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why is my Twitter timeline filled with people talking about X-Men and some kind of voting?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
because they're voting for the new x-man

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

site posted:

because they're voting for the new x-man

who are we voting to replace Nate Grey

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

KaosMachina posted:

ANYONE

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfbRz4ObFY

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Why don't people like Nate Grey? I have very vague memories of jokes about him when he first became a thing, comics readers uncomfortable with the character because he was very clearly designed to be hot to women.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m surprised people have any opinion of Nate Grey. Outside being convoluted even for a X nen character he’s just kind of there

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nate Grey made out with his alternate universe mother's clone (it is implied they did more).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think he's a cool guy and I respect how often he didn't wear a shirt.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I thought Nate Grey was one of those guys who didn't make it out of the 90s alive, and then he turns up as a messiah wanting to end the world or something. I've no idea how that turned out.

Did it turn out well?

Gripweed posted:

but ... but that's just a lady

like she doesn't even have pronounced musculature or mandibles or anything

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nilbop posted:

Did it turn out well?

He made his own pocket dimension in which horny was prohibited, but it collapsed because he filled it with mutants, many of whom carried residual Claremont horny energy with them. I believe he's still in there with a mysterious different Magneto and everybody else just left and came back to the real 616.

This was in the very bad "X-Men: Disassembled"arc and then the "actually pretty good overall" "Age of X-Man" event.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

How Wonderful! posted:

"X-Men: Disassembled"

X-Men: Disassembled struck me very much as the people running the X-Men line at the time getting the memo on who was gonna be running it going forward and the whole Krakoan Era Resurrection thing and then throwing a goddamned hissy fit and saying that no, the x-men are supposed to be dark and gritty and the REAL X-Men villains are these guys we're writing the finale for, and these are the REAL X-Men characters they're replacing with this clone stuff

Like, at the time, it just felt spiteful and I figured they were getting ready for a post Age of X-Man reshuffle, but the more time goes on the more blindfold killing herself and saying 'This is forever' just seems more and more like it was the voice of people who summarize the current X-Men as "a bunch of clones decided to become supervillains with a bunch of other clones"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

KaosMachina posted:

X-Men: Disassembled struck me very much as the people running the X-Men line at the time getting the memo on who was gonna be running it going forward and the whole Krakoan Era Resurrection thing and then throwing a goddamned hissy fit and saying that no, the x-men are supposed to be dark and gritty and the REAL X-Men villains are these guys we're writing the finale for, and these are the REAL X-Men characters they're replacing with this clone stuff

Like, at the time, it just felt spiteful and I figured they were getting ready for a post Age of X-Man reshuffle, but the more time goes on the more blindfold killing herself and saying 'This is forever' just seems more and more like it was the voice of people who summarize the current X-Men as "a bunch of clones decided to become supervillains with a bunch of other clones"

It's really difficult to overstate how loving dour that whole mini era was. You have characters getting killed off left and right with no emotional weight behind it, coupled with some of the worst art the books have ever seen. I honestly think it's worse than Chuck Austen's run, because while Austen's stuff was terrible, it also felt extremely like X-Men. It's bright, soapy, and horny. The only difference between Austen and Claremont is quality.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I do not understand the idea that people made bad comics on purpose out of spite

isn't it infinitely more likely they got told what was coming up and then made a dark story with the intention that it'd make the new direction more impactful?

Like "the people running the X-Men line at the time" you mean Jordan D. White the same guy who has been overseeing the X-line for years? Or Matthew Rosenburg who presumably would never have worked for Marvel again if he was directly trying to sabotage the X-Men books?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I 100% unironically believe that Matthew Rosenberg was trying to sabotage the X-Men books, yes.

I have no evidence for this beyond having read his X-Men books, although I consider that to be sufficient evidence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think Rosenberg was trying to sabotage it. I think his take on the X-Men was extremely bad. I remember I was excited for the Multiple Man series because it's Jamie Madrox and he's a fun character with a lot to work with, and then he told some terrible time travel story and his take on Jamie loving sucked. Then he continued to write every single character in his X-Men run terribly. He just did not understand any of the characters at all, so I think it wasn't malice, it was just him not being a good fit at all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I do not for one second believe Rosenberg set out to create bad X-Men comics to sabotage the line, because that would be ridiculous.

I do believe, 100%, that Rosenberg was told "hey make this run bleak as hell because we want to contrast the more positive tone that Hickman is going to be bringing in; we think it'll hit harder if it comes after a real fuckin' downer of an arc - plus it'll contrast well with the Age of X-Man happening at the same time."

I think a lot of people don't quite grok how Hickman was talking with the X-Office and refining his plans well before Rosenberg's run and Age of X-Man, per a few of the freelancers I spoke with at the time. Marvel knew the Krakoa Era was gonna start long, long before any of us did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That was the run which had Wolfsbane killed by humans for Drama, in turns being ridiculous because even if she didn't want to kill or even hurt her attackers which honestly fair enough for Rahne she could have still used her powers to just leave and also extremely problematic because it was very much coded as violence against trans people.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Nilbop posted:

I thought Nate Grey was one of those guys who didn't make it out of the 90s alive, and then he turns up as a messiah wanting to end the world or something. I've no idea how that turned out.

Did it turn out well?

but ... but that's just a lady

like she doesn't even have pronounced musculature or mandibles or anything

I'm not familiar with this book but I assume that's just supposed to be a human woman who's joined up with the Predators and not a female Predator

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dawgstar posted:

That was the run which had Wolfsbane killed by humans for Drama, in turns being ridiculous because even if she didn't want to kill or even hurt her attackers which honestly fair enough for Rahne she could have still used her powers to just leave and also extremely problematic because it was very much coded as violence against trans people.

Oh absolutely. The run was atrocious. Just absolutely terrible.

I'm just saying I think that run was terrible because editorial told the writer to make it terrible (so that HoX/PoX would feel like even more a breath of fresh air), not because Rosenberg was doing some kind of Machiavellian scheming to tank the franchise, or whatever the gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it was just a bad writer writing bad comics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barry Convex posted:

I'm not familiar with this book but I assume that's just supposed to be a human woman who's joined up with the Predators and not a female Predator

The comic and novel have roughly the same story, about a canned Alien hunt set up by predators that the humans run into. The comic version makes a lot more sense because it takes place on a different planet that the Predators have been using for ages, but then humans went in and set up a ranching colony on the planet, which congregated a bunch of potential host animals in one place and so there were way more Aliens than the Predators expected. By the end all of the Predators have died but the lady killed the Queen and so she was blooded as a Predator. The humans decide the colony is a loss and leave but the lady stays behind, so when other Predators come to see why the first Predators never made it back, they find the lady with the mark of a blooded Predator and an Alien Queen skull as proof of her kill, so they have to let her come with them and be a Predator.

A decision she comes to regret in later installments in the series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it was just a bad writer writing bad comics.

Yeah I feel like people are really reaching for some conspiracy to explain a bad run of comics. Sometimes a writer just whiffs one, simple as that. If you really want to chase the conspiracy route I suppose that maybe Rosenberg knew that death was about to be rendered meaningless (well, more meaningless than usual) and so wrote some deaths, but that doesn't mean he set up an elaborate bunch of deaths to ruin a comic, it means he thought more deaths would raise stakes and wrote them badly like oh so many a bad writer before.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A lot of writers (including writers I think are usually very, very good) have written a lot of terrible loving comics, I doubt any of them have done it on purpose.

(Maybe Ellis' Ruins and Millar's Trouble)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
crossed is think was on purpose

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I can see both editorial asking him to do something and he just didn’t do it very well

They don’t really conflict

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Been listening to a lot of comic interview podcasts lately, they're always interesting cool folks. Who knew! A bit old news, but one that stood out was this Hickman one from Off Panel in October.

https://sktchd.com/podcast/off-panel-324-the-box-with-jonathan-hickman/

I dig how honest and critical he is, about the Marvel chain structure, the industry in general, just a really interesting listen.

Also, Kieron Gillen must be the smartest person on Earth by the way. Plus he talks so fast, half of the stuff Kieron said in one Off Panel I heard lately was just next level cosmic super smart stuff. And he said his book Once and Future is "dumb as balls", only a genius could find his own work dumb as balls.

And with his jokes, which he kind of suggests are half-jokes of working on the X book because Hickman is off the book, so he can be the big ideas writer there etc. I'm going to suggest these two are the two smartest super beings at Marvel. If they co-wrote a book, our minds would just explode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

(foreword that I don't actually care that much but we're still talking about it, so...)

It's a personal hang-up, I know, but I have long since gone on the record that Rosenberg writes the X-Men as if he really doesn't like the X-Men and also doesn't want his audience to like the X-Men, and I've had this impression way back even before he was doing Uncanny. Again, it felt like a really foregone conclusion when you actually read the stuff that's in his books.

We all know what bad writing looks like, and we also all know what it looks like when a writer just plainly does not like certain characters and lets their biases affect their output, like Whedon on the Punisher, or Morrison on Magneto, or Johns on Kyle Rayner (this is an entirely different can of worms, I know). Is it really so strange to imagine anyone feeling that way towards the X-franchise as a whole?

The way Rosenberg writes about the X-Men has always felt different from simple bad writing, such as on Secret Warriors, which was actually a good book that I liked, that still depicted the X-Men as being blowhard bullies who can't be trusted to help anything. So it didn't matter if he was writing well or writing poorly, his depiction of the X-Men was always incredibly unflattering, leading right up to the capstones of his Uncanny arc where they disappear from this reality entirely...and it's presented as a great thing that everyone loved to see because everyone on the planet had just gotten sick to death of dealing with them.

To me it feels strange to pass that off as bad writing and has always felt as if he was writing about characters who he fundamentally could not connect with and simply did not like. The closest comparison I have off the top of my head might be when people were forced to write for Iron Man during Civil War or Carol Danvers during Civil War 2. Or another instance might be Tynion when he was writing Detective Comics which -- again, was a great book that I enjoyed! -- and yet could not go longer than an issue and a half before inserting some tirade or another about how Batman actually sucks and that his methods all suck and that he should just stop doing everything he's doing because he sucks.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Or another instance might be Tynion when he was writing Detective Comics which -- again, was a great book that I enjoyed! -- and yet could not go longer than an issue and a half before inserting some tirade or another about how Batman actually sucks and that his methods all suck and that he should just stop doing everything he's doing because he sucks.
A bit off topic for the Marvel thread but do you have any examples of this off the top of your head? I enjoy hearing about how Batman sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, I'm not kidding when I say it felt like every other issue there was some new villain going on about how Batman wasn't really helping Gotham so now they have to do it. In case we thought this was just the bad guys talking, there was a big arc where Stephanie Brown got sick of how Batman wasn't really changing anyone's lives with his methods so she went rogue and even started working with the Anarky at the time who also didn't like Batman's methods. Later on Kate Kane also split off from Batman's core group because she didn't like Batman's methods. Right up until the end of Tynion's Batman tenure, even years later on another run that only recently ended, he was introducing characters like Ghostmaker and the Unsanity Collective who all thought Batman's methods were bad.

I like Tynion's writing but this whole idea that Batman wasn't really helping Gotham and really needed to change his methods...somehow, into something else...was his one and only playbook.